Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
What do you mean it does not work with iPhone? That would be a big deal to some of us who are considering this expensive system. Could you please clarify. Thanks, Steve
Old 03-22-2008, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
Steve,

It did not work at all. When you plug in a regular iPod, you see it on the iDrive as 6 discs and the iPod says that it's connected to the MoBridge. When you attach an iPhone, however, there's a message that the device (i.e., the MoBridge) is not made to be used with an iPhone. I left it plugged in anyway, but it never recognized it. If you have airplane mode off, it also asks if you want to turn airplane mode on. In any case, whether you answer yes or no or manually turn airplane mode on, the car doesn't see the iPhone. Mine just kept playing the radio. I hope that helps.

Sid
Old 03-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Andrew,

Waiting on certification form XM at this time - we'll report when completed.

Tom,
Let me know what I can do for you. Do you have anybody out here in the bay area ? Just holler at me if you need anything from an average technician. Theres plenty of Bimmerfest brothers out here looking in your products. Just trying to reach out and lend a hand, and Im bored.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:24 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
if your bored go out have some drinks. that will pass the time

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 03-23-2008, 01:02 AM
E65/E66 Helper Man.......

Send a message via AIM to harjothundal Send a message via MSN to harjothundal
Mein Auto: BMW 745 Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidk View Post
I just got the MoBridge unit installed on my 03 745i and it works with the iPod video. It did not work with the iPhone. As mentioned, no text support, so I've set up the "Disc1" etc playlists. Not perfect, but good enough since I'm mostly looking to listen to pod casts and audio books, so not much switching.
the only reason i was going to even remotely think of purchasing this unit, was because of iphone compatibility, which was said by eas... i hope its something they can fix by means of firmware, otherwise it really would not have much value to me... also, doesnt this unit have an aux input, in which you would still be able to utilize for iphone support via its output jack?
Old 03-23-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjothundal View Post
the only reason i was going to even remotely think of purchasing this unit, was because of iphone compatibility, which was said by eas... i hope its something they can fix by means of firmware, otherwise it really would not have much value to me... also, doesnt this unit have an aux input, in which you would still be able to utilize for iphone support via its output jack?
My installer was going to call MoBridge on Monday to see if there was a fix. I haven't really looked into the aux capability yet, as I want to be able to control with steering wheel.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:21 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 540fan
Mein Auto: 2001 540iT & 2004 745Li
Completed my install of the mObridge unit and it's working fine. I'm using it with a Nano and Touch. I swapped out the CD with the BMW trim piece and actually like the cleaner look on the dash. I had to get a firmware update from mObridge to get my car to recognize the unit and they emailed it and I plugged in the SD card and all is well.

I know the unit is pricey but it is worth it on my 04 Seven.

I'm happy.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:01 AM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
Quote:
doesnt this unit have an aux input, in which you would still be able to utilize for iphone support via its output jack?
yes sir you are correct. but you wont be able to select tracks via steering wheel controls.

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 03-23-2008, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
sidk,

Thanks for the iPhone update. Indeed disappointing for the price paid. Hope it works in aux mode at least.

I think it is good to hear others experience...while it has been reported that they are "flying of the shelves" I've only seen just a couple of regular independt folks who have actually installed and used. It would be good to hear more.

Steve
Old 03-23-2008, 02:11 PM
E65/E66 Helper Man.......

Send a message via AIM to harjothundal Send a message via MSN to harjothundal
Mein Auto: BMW 745 Li
I done see why iPhone support can't work, in one of my vehicles I have an alpine 2006 model headunit with the direct iPod cable... When I plugged in my iphone, it does give me that message about turning on airplane mode (thats because its not a certified accessorie though) and the iPhone functions perfectly with the headunit, and all functions including playlists and text are there...

I know text is a no no in some of our cars, but I sure hope this means a firmware update will fix it...

Last edited by harjothundal; 03-23-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: E90 (sport, manual)
Quote:
I just got the MoBridge unit installed on my 03 745i and it works with the iPod video. It did not work with the iPhone. As mentioned, no text support, so I've set up the "Disc1" etc playlists. Not perfect, but good enough since I'm mostly looking to listen to pod casts and audio books, so not much switching.
Quote:
It did not work at all. When you plug in a regular iPod, you see it on the iDrive as 6 discs and the iPod says that it's connected to the MoBridge. When you attach an iPhone, however, there's a message that the device (i.e., the MoBridge) is not made to be used with an iPhone. I left it plugged in anyway, but it never recognized it. If you have airplane mode off, it also asks if you want to turn airplane mode on. In any case, whether you answer yes or no or manually turn airplane mode on, the car doesn't see the iPhone. Mine just kept playing the radio. I hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve50moore View Post
Thanks for the iPhone update. Indeed disappointing for the price paid. Hope it works in aux mode at least.

I think it is good to hear others experience...while it has been reported that they are "flying of the shelves" I've only seen just a couple of regular independt folks who have actually installed and used. It would be good to hear more.
Quote:
I done see why iPhone support can't work, in one of my vehicles I have an alpine 2006 model headunit with the direct iPod cable... When I plugged in my iphone, it does give me that message about turning on airplane mode (thats because its not a certified accessorie though) and the iPhone functions perfectly with the headunit, and all functions including playlists and text are there...
Hello. I felt compelled to correct some potential misinformation. This is the FIRST case in all the sales we've had with a report that iPhone does not work with mObridge.

Q: Does this mean iPhone is incompatible with mObridge?
A: No, it means this particular user's iPhone is not working with mObridge for some reason.

If we are given a chance to support the particular situation, we can find out why this might be the case. However, in this case, either the support case has not been brought to our attention or the results are not yet complete. If you have such a case, please do contact us at the Support address given on our website (sorry, I refrain from posting it here because the reason for this post is not commercial betterment but to refine the information in this post and educate the Bimmerfest community).

Here is a technically correct story.
mObridge is an Apple Certified Made for iPod solution. There are many others out there that are not. Which means, basically the "other" solutions are hacking the Apple Accessory communications and support if Apple changes things or there are bugs, well, you are basically at the mercy of "free radicals" if you purchase a non-certified solution.

mObridge is NOT yet Made for iPhone. That program was JUST started by Apple and there are very few, if any (OK maybe Belkin or someone partially owned by Apple) solutions in this category.

However, coincidentally, since iPhone follows the same Accessory specification as iPod, when you plug it into the mObridge system, accepting Airplane mode or not, it should work. However, anyone that tells you their vehicle integration system is compatible with iPhone is likely violating agreements with Apple OR they are not certified Apple development partners and by making those statements they are in another risky situation, i.e., reverse engineering to meet the specification which makes for a risky, easily breakable solution without the insight of official engineering documents.

Again, all this said, those that have been using iPhone with the system have not been having any issues, other than this ONE reported case that we know about as posted in this forum. Matter of fact, I use an iPhone myself in my BMW iDrive system every day and it functions just like my other iPods.

There is one further caveat just learned today: we learned Apple in the latest iPod software just released for the "5G" type iPods, may have introduced something (bug? we don't know yet) that has rejiggered how they internally label playlists in the software. This may, and probably does, also affect iPhone. We do not yet know if that is what is potentially causing Sidk's issue, or that it might be, but there is a high liklihood that it is but, fortunately or unfortunately, is not iPhone specific. There is a bug report (another advantage that the certified Apple Development community has over other non-compliant solutions) submitted to Apple, though given long turnaround times for iPod and iPhone software releases, there will likely have to be a release by integration product makers such as mObridge. As such, this is not something that would be specific to mObridge nor is something that we can really proactively guard against when it comes to being up against behemoths like Apple, Microsoft, Intel, etc, so please try to refrain from venting about the integration product makers about the breakage in functionality :-) ... it is the case again of two devices coming together, car and iPod, and one ceases to follow agreed behavior ... in utopia we could dynamically alter our behavior and you'd never notice but unfortunately that is not possible in real-time in this particular case, even though we try to envision all the possible breakage cases in advance and account for them, recovering as best possible in our own product software.

Hope this helps, thank you so far all of you for your support and we as always will work to understand this particular case and if it's related to the latest iPod software change. And then of course provide either the most timely information on the solution or, better yet, see an update from either mObridge or Apple that remedies this.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:39 PM

Hey Scott,

I just sent you a PM to try and resolve my iPhone issue. I'm thrilled that it has been/should be working with my iPhone and will work with you to resolve.

Thanks

Sidk
Old 03-24-2008, 04:56 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 540fan
Mein Auto: 2001 540iT & 2004 745Li
I had a little difficulty getting my mObridge unit working and Scott was great to work with. I got an email within hours with updated software plugged in the SD card and all was well with iPod and mObridge. Think of the hassle you would go through if BMW had to update your programming in iDrive. I'm not using an iPhone but based on my experience, I got first class customer service. They also get credit for coming up with a solution that no one else including the manufacturer of our cars would do.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:06 PM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540fan View Post
I had a little difficulty getting my mObridge unit working and Scott was great to work with. I got an email within hours with updated software plugged in the SD card and all was well with iPod and mObridge. Think of the hassle you would go through if BMW had to update your programming in iDrive. I'm not using an iPhone but based on my experience, I got first class customer service. They also get credit for coming up with a solution that no one else including the manufacturer of our cars would do.
+1 agree. BTW we were testing some other new goodies in the shop this weekend on a 6-series some people are going to be very pleased with.

More info shortly.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Old 04-10-2008, 05:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to swich2mac
Mein Auto: '08 750Li, '99 MB E300 TD
Tom,

It has been several weeks since your post. What did you test and how will we be pleased?

Scott
Old 04-10-2008, 05:36 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by swich2mac View Post
Tom,

It has been several weeks since your post. What did you test and how will we be pleased?

Scott
Still working out some final bugs, we'll update this thread and start another when completed.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to swich2mac
Mein Auto: '08 750Li, '99 MB E300 TD
Any new developments on the text option for the mObridge unit?
Old 04-10-2008, 05:46 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by swich2mac View Post
Any new developments on the text option for the mObridge unit?
Nothing we can report at the moment, but I'll be sure to post when development is complete if an upgrade path is possible for older 7s.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 745Li
Ipod News

Any updates on text for older 7 series?
Old 06-11-2008, 03:09 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstarr32 View Post
Any updates on text for older 7 series?
Likely a new radio would be needed - these are over $1200, not including coding. We'll be testing in the upcoming weeks.