Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW05 View Post
NO, I didnt upgrade the wire harness its REALLY expensive. But you still get significant gains with just the coils. Atleast I felt I did. My car has a CAI+Power Programmer that remapped all my ECU settings for an instantly faster car. All this combined with a hotter, faster burning spark has made for a nice upgrade.

A hotter coil will give a higher volatge spark. It will not improve the burn or burn rate in the combustion chamber. If your originals were occasionally mis-firing, that is not firing every time, then you will feel an improvement, but you would also feel an improvement if you put in a new OEM coil.

The only way the hotter coils help is in the upper rpm range, to assure you are getting a strong spark each and every cycle.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 01-14-2008, 06:36 PM

[QUOTE=BMW05;2920515]Oh yea . . . I went with a set of Bosch Platinum 4. Pretty much the most powerful spark under $6.99 per piece. QUOTE]

Just how is it that you have come to know that it's "....the most powerful spark under 6.99 per pc."

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 01-14-2008, 06:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to RacerX0911
Mein Auto: 06 M5, 12 A5, 03 530i/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW05 View Post
Yea, my fone takes kick ass pictures. So im always camera ready!
except when its dark out... then it sucks...
Old 01-14-2008, 06:45 PM

[QUOTE=Philboski;2924294]The only really bad thing I have heard about the Bosch +4s for this application is that the prongs are not as robust as they could be, and might break. But that is *might* break, not will break. QUOTE]

A racer in our local chapter broke the pins off his +4s which jammed under a valve in his E46 M3 burning the valve.

He had to take the head off for repairs.

Of course a prong can break off of any plug type but that has never been a problem with OEM plugs.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Thebizzy.com

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Mein Auto: '02 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRacer View Post
On my Trans Am at a dyno day we did the comparison. It was about 3hp at the rear wheels loss with +4's. The winner? Cheap $1.69 NGK tr55's.
You guys DO realize stock NGK's are 4 prong also for Bimmers right?

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

[---Quote (Originally by Tex330i)---
You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 01-14-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
You guys DO realize stock NGK's are 4 prong also for Bimmers right?
The originals were a single prong.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
Depends on year and model.
See my post #14. Those were originals for a 2001 330i, with BMW markings on.
- Frank Rizzo
Old 01-14-2008, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
A hotter coil will give a higher volatge spark. It will not improve the burn or burn rate in the combustion chamber. If your originals were occasionally mis-firing, that is not firing every time, then you will feel an improvement, but you would also feel an improvement if you put in a new OEM coil.

The only way the hotter coils help is in the upper rpm range, to assure you are getting a strong spark each and every cycle.
So, are these super high performance ignition coils worth the money?

And, can you really hear the difference when installed?

Thanks!
Jason
Old 01-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
The amount of mis-information in this thread is somewhere between:

and,

OK. Carry on...

mw
Old 01-15-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
The amount of mis-information in this thread is somewhere n:
and,

:bang

mw
Please enlighten us.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
So, are these super high performance ignition coils worth the money?

And, can you really hear the difference when installed?

Thanks!
Jason
So "Franka"...
What is your take on this???

I thought I would ask the expert....

Thanks!
Jason
Old 01-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Stimulus Package

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boile View Post
Depends on year and model.
+1

I replaced my plugs last year, and the originals were 4-prong.
2002 530i | Black/sand | Rondell Style 81s: 18x8.5 Front 18x10 Rear | Koni FSD | Eibach Pro-Kit | Zimmerman X-Drilled Rotors | Axxis Deluxe+ Brake Pads | StopTech SS Brake Lines | 50w 6000k Xenon Lows/LED Fogs/Phillips Luxeon LED DRLs | Angel i Brights v3.0 | Solaris Invisibulbs | Shadowline Trim | ///M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler | 35% Madico Tint | Dynavin D99+ ///M3Evolution | Backup camera | Intake Muffler, Front Plate, Badge & Cup/Coinholder Delete | Klasse AIO+SG
Old 01-15-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
So "Franka"...
What is your take on this???

I thought I would ask the expert....

Thanks!
Jason
I already commented.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:45 AM
(oOO)\(lll)(lll)/(OOo)

Mein Auto: 98 528i 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipsa View Post
As for the performance coils, unless you go with an upgraded ignition system (such as MSD) no matter what kind of coils you install they will not provide "better" spark. They will only transfer the spark that they receive. Some might last longer due to their better design but will not provide more performance. The "improvement" you noted is mostly due to the condition of the coils and a little placebo effect. Even if you did upgrade the whole ignition system, unless you boost it there will be very minimal improvement in performance. Our cars are pretty well designed from the factory to get the most out of them, so kudos for doing all the work but unless those coils were cheaper than the OEM ones, there's absolutely no point in getting them.
Ok HP coils alone without changing the rest of the ign system can provide a 'better' spark. The difference between normal coils and hp coils is the output voltage, i have several turbo cars and all of them have hp coils without any other mods to the ign system, and with these coils i can open my plug gap even under high boost levels and not get spark blow out.

i guess the problem here would be what is a "better" spark, getting a higher voltage output from your coil isn't going to improve anything unless that extra voltage put to use, for example running a higher compression ratio, or opening the spark gap.

On my dd 528 im thinking of getting hp coils and running a slightly larger than stock gap on the plugs. this will create a larger kernel, which im hoping will slightly improve my gas mileage, and also reduce my emissions.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:31 AM
(oOO)\(lll)(lll)/(OOo)

Mein Auto: 98 528i 5 speed
i wonder how these bav auto coils are when compared to the plasma direct coils...
Old 09-25-2008, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
I have heard before that those coils actually dont increase hp at all. What you feel is slight better response because your plugs/coils where really toast already, You would have felt the same change with some stock coils.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Thebizzy.com

Quote:
I pulled stock NGK 4 prong plugs out of mine when I replaced them at around 80k miles. I'm 99.9% sure they were there from the factory. I any case 4 prong NGK's are BMW recommended replacement for the 2002 525i. I'd still like to see if there are any real-world gains to be had from these upgraded ignition coils. Given their excessive price they damn well should provide some type of improvement.

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 01-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Thebizzy.com

Actually these are currently on sale at bavauto for $404.95 which is only about $75 more than a set of stock coils so not too bad really and they also come with the new rubber boots which are $6.95 ea when purchased separately and don't come with stock coil replacements. I may pickup a new set of plugs since I'm due soon and do this. At 130k my coils probably need to be swapped anyways.

Last edited by Mack; 01-04-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Coils are pretty much like light bulbs....they either *work*, or they *don`t* work....as far as new coils "improving power", I don`t believe it for a nanosecond....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Thebizzy.com

C'mon Bob. Drink the cool-aid. Drink it!!!!

Old 01-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
C'mon Bob. Drink the cool-aid. Drink it!!!!
I`m Old School, mang....I *snort* the Kool-Aid.... :-)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-04-2010, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
It's called taking your car to Stage 0

Which just means tuning it up and making sure everything is working properly. Gains mad power on cars in a poor state of tune

Joe
Old 01-04-2010, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Coils are pretty much like light bulbs....they either *work*, or they *don`t* work....as far as new coils "improving power", I don`t believe it for a nanosecond....
An ignition coil is nothing more than a step up converter. It takes in battery voltage which flows through a primary winding. When the coil's ground is taken away, the rapid collapse of the magnetic field creates a huge voltage spike. This voltage spike then "jumps" to the secondary winding (called mutual induction). The secondary winding is made up of a much tighter winding than the primary. This increases voltage even further, to tens of thousands of volts. This incredible amount of voltage is what allows the electricity to actually jump the gap in the spark plug and ignite the fuel.

Now the ratio of primary to secondary windings is called the turns ratio. In the oldschool days of distributors and only 1 ignition coil, you could install a coil with a much higher turns ratio, and increase the voltage significantly. That is exactly what the coils the OP has installed are. Now, this would lead to greater heat output and shorten the life of the coil, but that is another story. Higher ignition voltage is needed on highly modified engines, especially those with very high compression ratios.

Will higher voltage increase power of a stock motor? I doubt it. But if anyone believes that ignition coils with a higher turns ratio CANNOT increase power, they'd be sadly mistaken.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:45 PM
PROFESSIONAL SLEEPER

Mein Auto: GTI, BLOWN M ROADY
every 500-1000 whp bmw i've seen runs stock coils. i wonder why installing them on an otherwise stock vehicle= big waste of money.

Last edited by PDP///M; 01-04-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Bimmerholic

Mein Auto: 2001 530 SP/PP/CWP/Slush
Damn you guys are replacing your plugs at 60k miles? I'm just over 60k, but was planning to wait till 70k.

Now I'm all paranoid that THIS is what's hurting my fuel economy. Well, that and the low tire pressure. And the cold weather. And the corn in my gas tank. And my slowly deteriorating Vanos seals. And . . .

2001 530 Steel Blue Metallic, purchased Dec 03
SP/PP/CWP/Slushbox (I know I know)

OEM M5 bumper, 40% Huper Optik ceramic tint, Dice Silverline Pro iPod adapter, 540SP radial spokes, Zimmerman Z-Coat rotors w/ Hawk HPS pads
"Mods": driveshaft, cooling system, Vanos, CCV, PSR, VCG, FSU, spark plugs, buncha belts-n-hoses, & other things I'd just as soon forget

BMW CCA member for 12 years