Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
Brake Fluid Light Illuminated

2000 Z3 2.8l Roadster

Al right, so I have done about 2 days worth of reading on this site and multiple others, mainly using google. A couple of days ago my Red "Brake Fluid" light came on (not brake or e-brake) First though was to check the fluid level and it hasn't changed since owning this car for about 5 years. So there is no leak in the system.

I was hoping the fix would be a flush/bleed of the brake fluid and it would be squared way. So i Bled the system, made sure the reservoir was always refilled with new fluid as that no air would get in the system.

Brake feel the same as they always have, nice and firm. I replaced the brake pads and rotors about 6 months ago and replaced the pad sensors. After driving the car with this brake fluid light on for a few minutes the DSC light will come on. No ABS light or anything else. just the DSC and Brake Fluid (red) lights.

What are my next steps to diagnosing this? Could it be the Sensor in the reservoir? (its not a cap sensor but a reservoir sensor) is there another connection that I need to check?

I appreciate your time, thanks in advance
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2016, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 2.3 & 2011 X5 35d
I would start with the sensor. If you are changing it, though, be very careful. You don't want to spill brake fluid. It will eat paint.

2011 X5 35d
2000 Z3 2.3
Old 05-25-2016, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SounderMN View Post
I would start with the sensor. If you are changing it, though, be very careful. You don't want to spill brake fluid. It will eat paint.
I went a head and ordered a new reservoir with the sensor. Seems you cant pry the sensor out of the ones fitted into it. Also got a new grommet between the Master Cylinder and Reservoir just in case the old one is cracking.

I assume that i just drain the fluid out of the Reservoir and then disconnect the hoses etc? I imagine I will have to bleed the cables a lot to make sure no air go into it.

I will let yall know if it is the sensor, I hope it is, and not any of the other fixes that some other people had to go through

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search