Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 01-12-2008, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 318is
95' BMW 318is Will not start, need HELP yesterday

I have a 1995 BMW 318is, that WILL NOT START.
STORY:
Wife ran it hot, causing Head Damage, had the Head Rebuilt and Installed to Spec's. Disconnected the battery and replaced it with a new one during this time. Now that its all back together it WILL NOT START. Looking for answers to the following Questions and/or input that will get my car STARTED.
QUESTIONS:
1) Will not having the anti-theft code prevent the car from starting?
2) Will old fault codes prevent it from starting? note, I donot have a code reader.
3) I have not put the valve cover on yet, will that effect the starting compression?
4) What else do you think would cause it not to start?
I NEED HELP YESTERDAY.
Ads by Google
Old 01-13-2008, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 95 318i*01 325i*97 528i
No valve cover is going to be the same as a large vacuum leak if you don't pinch off the hoses or plug the ports going into the air intake. Close all vacuum-ports behind the MAF and post back.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:13 PM

Thanks for pointing that out about the vaccum. What do you think about the other things that I asked about.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 332ti
The anti-theft codes will not be effected by the battery change.

If it doesn't start with the valve cover installed, you may be in trouble.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:18 PM

Since this is a ANTI-THEFT device with a code, I figured that it was designed to prevent the vehicle from starting in the event that someone was trying to steal it. In my mind this is the reason why it was installed, but I could be wrong. I really don't know what all the ANTI-THEFT code controls. I read in one of the after-market repair manuals that I needed to have the code before I disconnected the battery. It didn't state why I needed to have the code, but I figured with the project that I was facing I could do that and ask for assistance from other BIMMER owners like myself. I have not been able to find out just what this ANTI-THEFT device is designed to do or what it controls. So, with that said, can anyone give me a definite answer to the question.
"Q" Will the car start without the code?
Thanks in advance
Old 01-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Useless

Mein Auto: 318 Vert, Murano, SL500
There's two possible anti-theft devices on the car. One is for the radio and the other one is on the OBC. Whenever the car battery is disconnected the radio will prompt you for the code to unlock it for usage. This has nothing to do with the car not starting.

The other one is on the OBC. As far as I know, removing power does not activate this anti-theft. To enable it, you must activate it and input a code each time you want to use it. When you return to the car and have the key in the ignition, the OBC will prompt you to enter the code. Once activated you will need the code to start the car otherwise, the starter makes a sound similar to like you are cranking the starter while the engine is running. (Without the engine running of course).

I had this on my '98 M3 and used it before. It never enabled by itself ever so I don't know if that's your problem. If our OBC is prompting you for a code then that is probably what is causing your car not to start. Like stated, when enabled and not deactivated, the starter makes an ugly sound when it is cranked.

Enabling the security requires this procedure.
Turn key to ignition spot (engine off) and press the CODE button.
Input your number code and press SET.
Remove key and leave vehicle.
The red light on the CODE button will remain lit indicating the security feature is enabled. Removing and restoring power will not make the OBC forget it is enabled.

To disable the security put the key in the ignition position and input in the code before starting.

Last edited by Mary99; 01-26-2008 at 07:53 PM.