Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 01-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540i sport 6spd
DIY - Custom Bluetooth for pre 2002 E39

Bluetooth Complete Custom DIY E39 pre 2002 with 25 pin Phone connector

Making your own 25 pin 54 pin connector (Universal Phone II adaptor)

Parts needed.
1. 25 pin male serial connector (opposite end to the phone connector in the car) can be purchased at The Source.($6 aprox.)
2. 54 pin Multilock connector (connector that plugs into Bluetooth ULF module) can be purchased from your local Audi dealer Part number 4E0 972 144 ($4 aprox.)
3. wires to fit the 54 pin Multilock connector. Can be purchased from your local Audi dealer Part number 000 979 010. you will need 2 of these. There seems to be 3 sets of wires per package which have the same pins on both ends.

You will need to cut the wires in half to produce the 12 ends needed for this connector. (I was fortunate enough to have another BMW connector around from which I got my wires and did not have to order this part.

You will need a soldering iron or someone to help you with this part of the job. The cut ends of the wires will need to be soldered to the 25pin serial connector and the corresponding ends pushed into the 54 pin multi-lock connector in the following order.

25 pin Serial connector 54 pin connector
3 -------------------------------------- 36 Ground (KL31)
4 -------------------------------------- 17 Battery + (KL30)
5 -------------------------------------- 35 Power with key in position 1 or 2 (KLR)
10 ------------------------------------- 51 Phone Mute
11 ------------------------------------- 32 TXD(Pairing button)
14 ------------------------------------- 19 Mic
15 ------------------------------------- 1 Mic +
19 ------------------------------------- 37 Tel Audio + (speaker +)
20 ------------------------------------- 21 Shielded ground for Mic
21 ------------------------------------- 33 Tel ON (see future notes below)
22 ------------------------------------- 15 I-BUS
25 ------------------------------------- 38 Tel Audio (speaker -)

Note: If you have already upgraded to the new flat pin CD player and have a factory amplifier or DSP unit you will need to connect pin 11 and 14 on the Eject box connector under the arm rest in order to get any phone audio.

Posting to create you own SES jumper and Pairing button to follow, also tips on Bluetooth antena wire substitutions.
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2008, 11:19 AM

SES Jumper Substitute. (BMW part 84 110 018 038)

Find the SES (Blue 26 pin connector) in close to the 25 pin DB phone wire in the trunk. Dig around the panel if it is not readily visible.

You will need to connect the following pins together by bridging the pins or stripping the corresponding wires and joining them together.

Pins
8 ------- 10 Mic
9 ------- 11 Mic +
13 ------ 26 Tel Audio + (Speaker +)
12 ------ 25 Tel Audio (Speaker -)
18 ------ 23

Note: The corresponding colors should be the same.

Pairing Button Substitute. (BMW part 84 12 0 302 715)
Pairing Button Harness. (BMW part 84 11 0 302 181)

All that is needed to place the unit in Pairing mode is to add a ground signal to pin 1 of the eject box harness located under the center arm rest.

This can be accomplished by using any momentary push button switch and connecting the pins as follows.

Eject box Harness Switch
1 --------------------- 1 TXD (Pairing button connected to pin 32 of ULF)
17 -------------------- 2 Ground (KL31)
Note: if your switch contains a light, the light pin could be connected to pin 15 of the eject box harness.

To place the system into Pairing mode you follow the procedure below.
1. With the Key off, press and hold the Pairing button for 2 seconds
2. While still holding the Pairing button, turn the Key to the first position.
3. Continue to hold the Pairing button for 3 more seconds and then release.
4. The MID or Cluster should indicate the system is in Pairing Mode.
5. Turn Bluetooth on your phone on.
6. Search for New Device and add BMW Bluetooth.
7. Enter the pass code you received with the ULF module
8. Turn the Key off.

When you turn the key on again, your phone should prompt you that the BMW is requesting a connection. (depending on the type of phone you have. Some phones will just automatically connect without prompting you. The Red LED beside the phone Button on your radio should go out once the phone has been connected.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:30 AM

Bluetooth Antenna Wire Substitution.(BMW Part 84 32 0 138 217)

An option is to go to your local Stereo shop and purchase 2 european antenna adaptor with Female FAKRA ends and also get the standard antenna extension that joins them together. (The rest will be self evident as all you have to do is connect one end to the ULF and the other to the Bluetooth antenna)

For those of you who are technically inclined. FYI the connector end on the antenna wire currently in your car is the same and your regular television cable end.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:24 PM

Parts Needed for Bluetooth Retrofit

1. ULF (Bluetooth Module) [Visteon module and Not the Motorola]
2. Bluetooth Antenna (BMW part 84 50 6 928 461)
3. Mic (if your car was not already have phone system) you may as well get the upgraded one (BMW part 84 31 6 938 762).

The above items must be purchased from another source or as a last resort from your stealer(sorry dealer).

Optional parts depending on your skill level.

1. Pairing Button (BMW part 84 12 0 302 715) and Harness for this button (BMW part 84 11 0 302 181). Pairing button and harness can be substituted for the Eject box that fits in your arm rest and already contains both (BMW part 84 21 6 933 415)
2. SES (Voice input Jumper Plug) {BMW part 84 11 0 018 038} check that you don't already have one.
3. Bluetooth Antenna Wire (BMW part 84 32 0 138 217) short and meant for trunk mount.

NOTE: Complete Retrofit Kits are available out there.
NOTE: I did not purchase the Cradle nor Pairing button with harness and some pins may need to be relocated per my earlier notes regarding Pairing button substitute to ensure the pins from that harness match the pinouts I've provided.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:38 PM

Bluetooth Audio Problems and Trouble shooting

1. If you have upgrade from the round pin connector TAPE or CD player to the newer flat pin connector Business CD player. You will need to join the corresponding wires to pins 11 and 14 (11 Phone ON in & 14 phone on out)
2. Audio is low due to lack of DSP or Factory AMP. The audio signal is sent directly from the Bluetooth module (ULF) to the speaker and needs to be amplified. You will need to add an amplifier the this circuit. Ex. ELK-800. Do a search on this amplifier.
3. You can always verify the ULF is sending out an audio signal by connecting a speaker directly to the wires connecting to pins 37 and 38 of the unit
Old 09-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Bimmer Lover

Mein Auto: 2000 530i Sport Auto
Pin problems

A great, easy to follow description of your retro-fit. My problem is that my 25 pin connector has nothing in positions 21 and 22. 22 is I-bus which I have in an 18 pin connector but I'm stumped with the lack of Tel-On at pin 21.
At present my unit won't go into pairing. The board monitor just says "Activate Telephone" and trying to pair as per instructions only activates the voice control.
I'm close to scrapping the whole idea.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidz View Post
A great, easy to follow description of your retro-fit. My problem is that my 25 pin connector has nothing in positions 21 and 22. 22 is I-bus which I have in an 18 pin connector but I'm stumped with the lack of Tel-On at pin 21.
At present my unit won't go into pairing. The board monitor just says "Activate Telephone" and trying to pair as per instructions only activates the voice control.
I'm close to scrapping the whole idea.
if the 18 pin connectore is the one I think you are referring to then pin 9 would be your I-Bus connector missing from 25pin DB.

on the same 18 pin connectore, pin 14 would be the tel on-out wire that you are missing from pin 21 on the 25 pin connector and may need to be looped to pin 11 of that same connector which is your tel on-in.

The information I am providing to you are all based on research as I do not have the same setup. Follow at your own discretion.
I nor bimmerfest accept no responsibility for any damages derived from folling any DIY instructions posted.
With that disclaimer out of the way, let me know how that works and pm me if you need any help.

Last edited by overlordjd; 09-26-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Bimmer Lover

Pin Problems

Thanks for your reply, I'm nearly at the end of my thether with this whole install.
I think I have the CPT6000 phone factory fitted and I've only got a wiring diagram for CPT8000. If I had the 8000 fitted I probably wouldn't be having this problem.
It looks like, in my car, the Tel-On line goes from the trunk's 12pin-X400 (pin 11) to the eject-box's 18pin-ELO (pin 11), here is where you're suggesting I jump pins 11 to 14, then it should go from pin 14 to the trunk's 25pin-DB25 (pin 21), the problem being that there is nothing at pin21. The TelematicsControlUnit from the current CPT6000 install obviously had no output to pin 21 which is why the connector has nothing on it. Which begs the question, how does it all work? Surely the system needs to be told the Tel is On.
There is another Motorola module fitted under the eject-box which connects between the phone and the 18pin-ELO.
The I-Bus I think is working as the system recognises the ULF, its just not being told that there is a phone on. I have that connected directly from the ULF pin 15 to the X400 pin 4. It also works in pin 21 of the SES's 26 pin locking connector.
I have spoken to BimmerNav on this matter and they have been suprisingly un-helpful, perhaps because I didn't purchase it from them.
I've found lots of people saying that they have got Bluetooth working in their Pre-2001 E39 cars, some in the '98 models.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidz View Post
Thanks for your reply, I'm nearly at the end of my thether with this whole install.
I think I have the CPT6000 phone factory fitted and I've only got a wiring diagram for CPT8000. If I had the 8000 fitted I probably wouldn't be having this problem.
It looks like, in my car, the Tel-On line goes from the trunk's 12pin-X400 (pin 11) to the eject-box's 18pin-ELO (pin 11), here is where you're suggesting I jump pins 11 to 14, then it should go from pin 14 to the trunk's 25pin-DB25 (pin 21), the problem being that there is nothing at pin21. The TelematicsControlUnit from the current CPT6000 install obviously had no output to pin 21 which is why the connector has nothing on it. Which begs the question, how does it all work? Surely the system needs to be told the Tel is On.
There is another Motorola module fitted under the eject-box which connects between the phone and the 18pin-ELO.
The I-Bus I think is working as the system recognises the ULF, its just not being told that there is a phone on. I have that connected directly from the ULF pin 15 to the X400 pin 4. It also works in pin 21 of the SES's 26 pin locking connector.
I have spoken to BimmerNav on this matter and they have been suprisingly un-helpful, perhaps because I didn't purchase it from them.
I've found lots of people saying that they have got Bluetooth working in their Pre-2001 E39 cars, some in the '98 models.

The tel on wire ends up going back to the radio. Which radio do you have (cd player or tape) for testing purpose you can try to go directly from the ulf harness to the radio.

The I-bus wire is not a big deal as they are all interconnected. you can tap into it anywhere and it will do the same job.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Bimmer Lover

I have the tape player 16:9 Boardmonitor. I'll try going from the ULF to the Radio Control Module for the Tel-On. In a working Bluetooth install is there a constant signal down the Tel-On line no matter what, or is there a signal only under certain circumstances?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
since this sounds like a very similar problem i'm having, perhaps you have a solution for me...got a ulf, bluetooth antenna, pairing button and a mic. everything installed fine and paired my phone. i was stoked until i discovered i couldn't hear anything. i was expecting to be able to use voice command with my nav as well as my phone. i just didn't hear any commands over my speakers. i could see my phonebook displayed on my nav screen and even dial using manual controls. just no audio. i'd turn the car off and back on and it paired with no problems.
then i came across your ses jumper trick. i tried and low and behold i can now hear and give voice commands to my nav. i'm stoked once again...
until i realize my phone freezes during pairing. every time. i delete the saved connection from my phone and repaired again with the ulf. it pairs, i get the 3 blinking lights on my nav (green, yellow, red). turn off the key. wait a moment. turn it back on, it says it's connecting and then it freezes.
any other jumps needed ya think?
thanks for the help
Old 11-07-2008, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudealicious View Post
since this sounds like a very similar problem i'm having, perhaps you have a solution for me...got a ulf, bluetooth antenna, pairing button and a mic. everything installed fine and paired my phone. i was stoked until i discovered i couldn't hear anything. i was expecting to be able to use voice command with my nav as well as my phone. i just didn't hear any commands over my speakers. i could see my phonebook displayed on my nav screen and even dial using manual controls. just no audio. i'd turn the car off and back on and it paired with no problems.
then i came across your ses jumper trick. i tried and low and behold i can now hear and give voice commands to my nav. i'm stoked once again...
until i realize my phone freezes during pairing. every time. i delete the saved connection from my phone and repaired again with the ulf. it pairs, i get the 3 blinking lights on my nav (green, yellow, red). turn off the key. wait a moment. turn it back on, it says it's connecting and then it freezes.
any other jumps needed ya think?
thanks for the help
What kind of phone are you using? You need to try other phones.
it sounds like your setup is ok.
What version ULF (bluetooth module) are you using?
Keep me updated on your progress.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:37 AM

i'm using a razr v3 with a gen 5 ulf. and i agree, i do need to try other phones just to make sure it's not an incompatibility issue with my phone. that will be tonight's project.
but it's odd that my phone would pair no problem with the ulf before i jumped the blue ses connector. and start freezing post jump.
what are the 18---23 wires on the ses? are they a "phone on" signal to the ulf or radio?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:37 AM

so my car paired no problem with a verizon phone. phone book, placed and received calls. no problem. i called att & motorola and they claim this phone isn't compatible with cars. only headsets. whatever. they just want you to buy more of their crap. this phone paired no problem with my motorcycle in-helmet bluetooth. as far as i'm concerned, bluetooth is bluetooth. but hey, the evidence speaks for itself. my phone obviously won't pair with a 5th gen ULF. is there a software update that can be performed on ULF's that anyone knows about? i already asked about a software update for my phone with no luck.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:48 PM

[QUOTE=Dudealicious;3693878]so my car paired no problem with a verizon phone. phone book, placed and received calls. no problem. i called att & motorola and they claim this phone isn't compatible with cars. only headsets. whatever. they just want you to buy more of their crap. this phone paired no problem with my motorcycle in-helmet bluetooth. as far as i'm concerned, bluetooth is bluetooth. but hey, the evidence speaks for itself. my phone obviously won't pair with a 5th gen ULF. is there a software update that can be performed on ULF's that anyone knows about? i already asked about a software update for my phone with no luck.[/QUOTE

I don't think there are any software updates for the ULF. This would defeat the purpose of BMW selling newer generation ULFs. Motorola is the only marketing genious in the business.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 750li
Overlordjd, would you mind answering a question of mine? I'm looking to also upgrade my E38 (2001 740i) to work with my bluetooth phone. I got the part numbers for the ULF, bluetooth antenna, antenna wire, ses jumper wire, 2nd gen microphone and eject box above. However do you know the OEM BMW part numbers for the adapters listed on this ebay auction (item number 150305112683)? Or do these part numbers just not exist. I believe I need these parts to correctly connect everything. I've looked everywhere for the part numbers, but can find them.

Thanks again in advance for your help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-C...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 01-27-2009, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: '03 540iA Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlordjd View Post
Parts Needed for Bluetooth Retrofit

1. ULF (Bluetooth Module) [Visteon module and Not the Motorola]
2. Bluetooth Antenna (BMW part 84 50 6 928 461)
3. Mic (if your car was not already have phone system) you may as well get the upgraded one (BMW part 84 31 6 938 762).

The above items must be purchased from another source or as a last resort from your stealer(sorry dealer).

Optional parts depending on your skill level.

1. Pairing Button (BMW part 84 12 0 302 715) and Harness for this button (BMW part 84 11 0 302 181). Pairing button and harness can be substituted for the Eject box that fits in your arm rest and already contains both (BMW part 84 21 6 933 415)
2. SES (Voice input Jumper Plug) {BMW part 84 11 0 018 038} check that you don't already have one.
3. Bluetooth Antenna Wire (BMW part 84 32 0 138 217) short and meant for trunk mount.

NOTE: Complete Retrofit Kits are available out there.
NOTE: I did not purchase the Cradle nor Pairing button with harness and some pins may need to be relocated per my earlier notes regarding Pairing button substitute to ensure the pins from that harness match the pinouts I've provided.

This is a great list with all the part numbers!
I have trouble finding the pairing button 84 12 0 302 715 by the PN online. Are you sure this is the number? All the usual suspects (crevier, bavauto, realoem) return nothing for this part.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:58 AM

Mein Auto: '99 540I Sport
I have a 99 540i with factory phone but it was removed before i bought it. The microphone is there and phone button on the steering wheel. Where do I need to look to see what which parts of the system are missing?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:12 AM

Mein Auto: civic
Thanks for the infos...
Old 07-20-2009, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
[QUOTE=overlordjd;3706409]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudealicious View Post
so my car paired no problem with a verizon phone. phone book, placed and received calls. no problem. i called att & motorola and they claim this phone isn't compatible with cars. only headsets. whatever. they just want you to buy more of their crap. this phone paired no problem with my motorcycle in-helmet bluetooth. as far as i'm concerned, bluetooth is bluetooth. but hey, the evidence speaks for itself. my phone obviously won't pair with a 5th gen ULF. is there a software update that can be performed on ULF's that anyone knows about? i already asked about a software update for my phone with no luck.[/QUOTE

I don't think there are any software updates for the ULF. This would defeat the purpose of BMW selling newer generation ULFs. Motorola is the only marketing genious in the business.
Strange. I have a 5th Gen ULF that I bought new back in 2005 and have yet to find a phone that would not pair with it...including a Motorola V60, Razr, and several Blackberry's...currently a BB Pearl. The only issue I have currently, is the phone list is incomplete...and that is because the 5th Gen can only recognize a maximum of 500 names and number, and I have probably 800 or more. In fact it only displays a couple hundred....again, probably because I have so many, it just flips out. But no biggie....it takes way too long to scroll through them...much faster and easier to use the phone itself for searching, or dialing. One other negative is since it does not recognize my entire phone list, it does not always display it on an incoming call. Neither problem is enough to cause me to buy a newer ULF...not unless there was a faster and easier method of finding a name to dial.
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, H&R 15mm spacers, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:52 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330 ci E46
HELLO SKIDS........i'm french and i'm looking for information about bluetooth install.....i've the same problem than you.....no wire at pins 4 + 21 + 22 on 25 pins serial connector in the trunk. Could you give me your email.........here is mine......bellamy.mathe@orange.fr thanks a lot
Old 08-11-2009, 04:10 AM

Mein Auto: Supercharged E39 540i
you know.... there are alot of car stereos that come with blue tooth............ Like My Alpine.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528I
This is great. Thx
Old 05-04-2010, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i, 2009 X3
Talking I am so stoked!

I took a chance on an "as-is" 7th generation ULF on EBay for $50. Got the 54 pin connector, cannibalized an rs-232 cable I had laying around, double-checked the connections and...voila! I got an "ACTIVATE PHONE" on the MID with both the R/T and MID Tel buttons.

Thank you so much for the pinouts...works like a champ.

Clearly, I'm only part of the way there (mic & antenna will be here tomorrow), but maybe, just maybe, I got to do this for very little $$$.

My wife's got BT in her 2009 X3 and it's really, really cool. I generally don't drive while on the phone, but short calls will be much easier with this setup---if it completely works, that is.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Big Body Speed

Mein Auto: 01 525i, 09 328x coupe
can i us an iphone