Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 09:00 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
Resource - Electronics/technical Q&A for "BMW_TECH"

is there a way to stop the passenger side mirror from going all the way down in reverse? its very annoying when parallel parking because when the mirror is all the way down you canít see the car behind you.

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Volvo XC90 & 2003 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
is there a way to stop the passenger side mirror from going all the way down in reverse? its very annoying when parallel parking because when the mirror is all the way down you canít see the car behind you.
Move the switch which chooses right/left mirror for adjusting to the right and leave it there. Mirror no longer tilts down.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:17 PM
bmw addiction

i still want it to go down but not all the way i dont want to use my rims as curb feelers

Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 01-13-2008, 09:57 PM

Mein Auto: Volvo XC90 & 2003 745Li
Quote:
i still want it to go down but not all the way i dont want to use my rims as curb feelers
sorry... I should have known better than attempting to answer a question addressed to the Exalted, All-knowing, BMWTech...

Last edited by lennynchris; 01-13-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:15 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennynchris View Post
sorry... I should have known better than attempting to answer a question addressed to the Exalted, All-knowing, BMWTech...
Oh c'mon now,we're just good friends thats why he loves asking me questions.I don't know everything or claim to know everything.Everyday I come to work I see to it I learned something new.The things I learn here are simply the different types of people and aftermarket products.I only play mind games with other people who thinks they are smart (usually,I never reply back and that means I got my point across which may seem nonesense to those without common sense).
sunny_j buddy,my suggestion is disabling the friggin curb function and using up one of your "memory function" for REVERSE purposes.This way when you throw the gearshift in reverse your right mirror would move exactly to where you want it,the headrest would come down so you can see (perhaps set the seat back to come down a little and seat would be raised a bit),the drivers mirror may tilt out a bit so you can see whats coming behind you without moving your head too much.And then set it to your normal driving position by pushing the other memory button.It sounds to me that you rarely (or avoid) back into a spot (or back out of).This may be the most suitable way for you,but thats just me.Ask yourself,how often would you need this darn button anyways? That would determine wether or not its worth the extra memory button.

I have been meaning to ask you,any word on TV yet? Im still looking,there seems to be 2 ways.Do you have a Video Module in the trunk ? Another way I found is a "rigging kit" for DVB-T (Digital Video Broadcasting - Terrestrial) digital television transmitted via antenna ("terrestrial").It comes with a set top box and remote and seems like a failry simple rig by adding 2 antennae amplifiers (lt and rt of back windshield) and MOST connection with a few extra wires going into the NAV or DVD changer (this one is the trunk mounted one,if equipped).I wonder if you can even get Oprah or Jerry Springer,but I know Pay TV is NOT supported.

Last edited by BMW_tech; 01-14-2008 at 03:19 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:44 PM
bmw addiction

i just saw your reply now. thanks but i dont think its worth using a memory button for reverse only.

im not to sure about the video module but i can watch tv/dvd in the rear no problem. so i guess i do have a video module. i also asked on the german 7 forum but no luck there either. its so stupid i can go buy a NAV TV unit which will allow me to watch a dvd while driving but bmw wont activate there tv function even though the video gets blocked out after 5kms.

Black Trim Painted White

Old 01-22-2008, 06:48 PM
bmw addiction

for the past two days when i start my car for the first time i been getting random malfuntions. i couldnt take a pic of the one from yest but i managed to take one today, it said "Drive control! Drive moderately" Drive control systems malfuncion.

any idea's why this is happening? could it be the cold weather because it barely gets over freezing here.

Black Trim Painted White

Old 01-22-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
i just saw your reply now. thanks but i dont think its worth using a memory button for reverse only.

im not to sure about the video module but i can watch tv/dvd in the rear no problem. so i guess i do have a video module. i also asked on the german 7 forum but no luck there either. its so stupid i can go buy a NAV TV unit which will allow me to watch a dvd while driving but bmw wont activate there tv function even though the video gets blocked out after 5kms.
This is so that nobody can sue BMW when someone rear ends another vehicle because Jerry Springer was on during Spring Break and the Girls Gone Wild.

Quote:
for the past two days when i start my car for the first time i been getting random malfuntions. i couldnt take a pic of the one from yest but i managed to take one today, it said "Drive control! Drive moderately" Drive control systems malfuncion.

any idea's why this is happening? could it be the cold weather because it barely gets over freezing here.
Have you looked at the p/steering/ARS/etc.... fluid level ? If you open the cap you may be surprised to find a dipstick attached to the cap.This uses Pentosin CHF 11s. The reservoir is located on the drivers side strut tower area and it looks like this : http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...33&hg=32&fg=20
If you notice,there is a level sensor there but you will never get a low level warning.What you do get is the message you are getting.If it is slightly low,simply top it off.If it is very low,time to visit the local techs to look for any leaks.If they do not take your word for it that the message appears,tell them to run it for faults.....they should see a level sensor fault.If they still don't believe you,dress up like an old lady (mrs. doubtfire) and see what that gets you.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:08 PM
bmw addiction

you weren't joking about the cap and dipstick its actually there. i always thought there would be a mini version of bmw_tech attached to the cap.... i checked the level is at "max"

Black Trim Painted White

Old 01-22-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
you weren't joking about the cap and dipstick its actually there. i always thought there would be a mini version of bmw_tech attached to the cap.... i checked the level is at "max"
Vehicle on a level surface with the engine running and the stars are bright while you are hopping on one leg tapping your head with the left hand and tapping your stomach with the right hand ????
Im sorry buddy,it must be a full moon.That's it Im going to bed !
Old 01-23-2008, 12:50 AM
BMW E65 745i

Send a message via MSN to Lappy
Mein Auto: 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_tech View Post
Vehicle on a level surface with the engine running and the stars are bright while you are hopping on one leg tapping your head with the left hand and tapping your stomach with the right hand ????
Im sorry buddy,it must be a full moon.That's it Im going to bed !
BMW_Tech... dit you hapen to see my question? about the button on the drivers seat?

Old 01-23-2008, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: M35
BMW_Tech,
IS there a way to disable the TPM function by taking the sensors out or somthing?

and is there a way to keep my EDC sport all the time not comfort

thank's in advance Dude
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SOLD
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 01-23-2008, 04:45 PM
bmw addiction

momo get H&R springs. i would describe the ride quality of the car now in between comfort & sport on the edc

Black Trim Painted White

Old 01-23-2008, 05:17 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to nekhi2003
Mein Auto: 745li
Sunny J, i just had tht same warning several times, first dealership said thy didnt knw, second fixed it and said something about something in the steering column..when i get home tommarrow i will post exactly what the SA put was the problem and what thy did to fix...havnt had the message since fix...
Old 01-23-2008, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: M35
i dont have springs Sunny, I have the Damn Autoleveling thing so do i change the whole thing by getting the H&R springs?
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SOLD
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 01-23-2008, 07:06 PM
bmw addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekhi2003 View Post
Sunny J, i just had tht same warning several times, first dealership said thy didnt knw, second fixed it and said something about something in the steering column..when i get home tommarrow i will post exactly what the SA put was the problem and what thy did to fix...havnt had the message since fix...
keep me posted

Black Trim Painted White

Old 01-23-2008, 07:09 PM
bmw addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo1978mohi View Post
i dont have springs Sunny, I have the Damn Autoleveling thing so do i change the whole thing by getting the H&R springs?
i have rear self level suspension too. in the front i went with H&R springs and my SA hooked me up by lowering the rear via computer. Din used links to trick the computer. thats why i said i would compare the ride quality in between comfort & sport on the EDC.

Black Trim Painted White

Old 01-23-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappy View Post
BMW_Tech... dit you hapen to see my question? about the button on the drivers seat?

Im sorry sir,I have NOT seen that button.I take it you have tried pushing it and nothing happens ? That might be the passenger "eject" button if you run into an ugly blind date.On a serious note,I searched relentlessly but I couldn't find any information on all my resources,the reason may be because we dont have that in the U.S. just like sunny_j's hope for a front T.V. that the U.S. models come deactivated from the factory.

Quote:
BMW_Tech,
IS there a way to disable the TPM function by taking the sensors out or somthing?

thank's in advance Dude
I havent done this yet sir but I do think it may be possible to remove the entire system with your request to BMW engineers.They may be able to remove the "option CODE" for the TPM out of the Vehicle Order,the dealer would then save this in a "floppy" (yes the SSS has a floppy drive) or a CD and Adopt to your vehicle and that means PROGMAN (you know the drill).That way you don't neccessarily have to remove every component within the system that can cost you more money and grief (like tire valves in general,they may damage the wheel by removing or it could leak air as an example).
Old 01-24-2008, 12:50 AM
BMW E65 745i

Send a message via MSN to Lappy
Mein Auto: 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_tech View Post
Im sorry sir,I have NOT seen that button.I take it you have tried pushing it and nothing happens ? That might be the passenger "eject" button if you run into an ugly blind date.On a serious note,I searched relentlessly but I couldn't find any information on all my resources,the reason may be because we dont have that in the U.S. just like sunny_j's hope for a front T.V. that the U.S. models come deactivated from the factory.
Yep, nothing seems to hapen.
It could be from the deactivated Radar Detector, that's my best guess.

I will go to BMW Welt this spring (its a 800 km drive), so perhaps they can follow the wiring or something
Thanks for the answer
Old 02-05-2008, 02:32 PM
bmw addiction

i asked the tv function on another bmw forum and this is what they told me. maybe bmw_tech would be able to translate it into simpler english.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j
my question is how do i get video on the front screen and control it via idrive like the EURO SPEC cars. i have the rear entertainment system and i can control the dvd/tv via rear idrive. i know the canadian & us spec cars come with this feature deactivated. any info on how to active it. and help will would be greatly appreciated.
I think, you must use NCS to change VO/FA on euro and next encode MMIGT ecu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j
thanks alot for your help... but i have no idea what you mean. how would i be able to do what you mentioned.

If you read "ZCS/FA f.ECU" with NCS, you must click "Enter FA", chose "E65", when you see vin click "Ok". Find in FA line: "*XYZ3" eg "*GN83" or "*HN03" and delete it, next in field "attribute" write this same line with changes : "3" on "1" eg "*GN81' or "*HN01", click "add". Next click "Back", "Process ECU", chose "MMIGT" and encode it.

Black Trim Painted White

Old 02-05-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
i asked the tv function on another bmw forum and this is what they told me. maybe bmw_tech would be able to translate it into simpler english.

I mentioned to you before in some thread here in our world,we cannot alter the Vehicle Order of any vehicle due to the complexity of these engineering codes that only has 5 characters at the most.There is no "master list" of codes unfortunately,and the software they provide cannot change any inputs other than the "preset" programs (retrofitting of accessories). In the event where the Vehicle Order of a vehicle has been erased somehow (perhaps during programming and the power went out),engineering from BMWNA would pick up the PuMA case (Montvale) and forward it to where they keep the engineers locked up (underground somewhere in Germany) and with the reply comes a formatted file to be saved on a floppy or a CD.The SSS takes over via PROGMAN and adapts the VO to the vehicle.Retrofits are then added one at a time because only the original equipment is contained in the VO.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:35 AM
bmw addiction

thank you sir

Black Trim Painted White

Old 02-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Account close at users request

Mein Auto: 2003 745Li
Quote:
thank you sir
Seems like you need to take out the bat. and some how ground the system/short it and lose it all, so BMW can reprogram the euro software to it
Old 02-06-2008, 08:27 PM
bmw addiction

even if i cut the power to the dealer they still would reload the NA VO.

Black Trim Painted White

Old 02-07-2008, 11:03 PM

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci
Quote:
BMW_Tech,

thank's in advance Dude
Yes there is, the dealer will take them out for you and then they have to take the TPM stuff out of the cars computer...

I had them take mine out because I refused to pay $200 for 1 sensor for my spare tire.. Apparantly the sensor was missing from the spare wheel and they did not want to replace it for me under warranty so I said take it out then...

2005 645 Ci (Current)
8000K HID Bulbs + 7W Ebay Halos + 21" 128 Style Wheels + K&N Air Filter +

2002 745 LI (Sold)
2006 X5 (Wife's)
Closed Thread