Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Riding Dirty.

Mein Auto: 07 750Li,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog805 View Post
Yes there is, the dealer will take them out for you and then they have to take the TPM stuff out of the cars computer...

I had them take mine out because I refused to pay $200 for 1 sensor for my spare tire.. Apparantly the sensor was missing from the spare wheel and they did not want to replace it for me under warranty so I said take it out then...
so you took the sensors out or the whole "progrem" so you can run it with out sensors and not get the light?
Old 02-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
i got all four my sensors replaced and the control module for the tpm replaced under waranty bout month ago the batteries inside the sensors were low so they replaced them i didnt even get the chech tire pressure light they must have scanned it and told me the ordered the parts.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:09 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regulations on TPMS:

By 9/07, all vehicles must utilize a direct monitoring system with a pressure sensor inside each tire to broadcast the tire pressure to a central receiver on the vehicle.

The yellow tell-tale must illuminate during the NHTSA required test within 20 minutes when there is a 25% loss in tire pressure (any or all of four tires).

I guess this means jail time to those who remove this system that falls within the regulation guidelines.As for prior vehicles,Im sure there is a way to remove or disable the system.I haven't performed a reverse retrofit and with software updates,there are changes we aren't aware of until discovered.By now perhaps it cannot be removed from the Vehicle Order because its not a retrofit option in the US Market.Perhaps an "enable" or "disable" selection (iDrive) is in order for older vehicles not affected by the new regulations.Who knows? They might be listening.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: M35
wierdest nosie , shaking and slammin

BMW Tech i had a wierd experince every time i kickdown and it happen to be little bumps on the street , i hear slamin like my shocks are out and even feel shaking underneath the car and on the arm rest like somthing hits me for the bottom ? what would that be??? any one know BMW_tech Your advice is greatly appreciated
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SOLD
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 02-12-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo1978mohi View Post
BMW Tech i had a wierd experince every time i kickdown and it happen to be little bumps on the street , i hear slamin like my shocks are out and even feel shaking underneath the car and on the arm rest like somthing hits me for the bottom ? what would that be??? any one know BMW_tech Your advice is greatly appreciated
Okay,you're driving along and you floor the accelerator pedal.You hear a "clunk" and you feel the whole car vibrate. Am I correct so far ? There arent any warning lamps illuminated and the problem no longer occurs ?

I think your problem may be the U-Joint.A deterioration or separation of the rubber in the universal joint located between the transmission and drive shaft assembly can cause clunking (during load reversal) or sometimes feel like being rear-ended (perhaps).Either way,I suggest taking it in for visual inspection of all your suspension components.The only way to determine if the noise is caused by a defective universal joint,the driveshaft must be removed from the vehicle. Once removed the metal collars can be checked for looseness or separation from the rubber material.Make sure they clear the adaptation values if they replaced the U-Joint.Vehicles produced from 10/22/2002 up to 3/2005 can be affected.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745Li
BMW Tech - do you give relationship advice too?
2007 Infiniti FX35
1999 BMW 323i Convertible
1966 Ford Mustang Convertible
1974 Jensen Interceptor
2000 Mercedes E320 (R.I.P.)

Sittin on stock 19s now.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: M35
thats exactly what happens not that i loose taraction and the triangle thing illuminates, but you know i tell that to the dealer , cant duplicate problem sir, is there a way you can say it so i can explain it to my SA cuz you know if they can't replicate bassically they would say its normal
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SOLD
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 02-12-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erunithug View Post
BMW Tech - do you give relationship advice too?
Yes,only straight.I don't do gay.Not that there's anything wrong with that.Would you like to give it a try bud ? Im all ears sir.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo1978mohi View Post
thats exactly what happens not that i loose taraction and the triangle thing illuminates, but you know i tell that to the dealer , cant duplicate problem sir, is there a way you can say it so i can explain it to my SA cuz you know if they can't replicate bassically they would say its normal
Tell those Bozo's BMW_Tech had already diagnosed the stuation.Refer them to S.I.B. 26 01 06.

SUBJECT
Noise from Driveshaft Area

MODEL
E65 and E66 (7 Series) 745i and 745Li with N62 Engine and 6HP26 Transmission

Vehicles produced from 10/22/2002 up to 3/2005

SITUATION
One or more of the following complaints may be received from the customer while driving slowly, coming to a stop or at highway speeds:

A clunk can be heard while rolling slowly and downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear coming to a stop.

Load reversal causes a slight clunk noise.

A clunk noise can be heard while shifting into forward or reverse gear from park or neutral
Old 02-12-2008, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_tech View Post
Yes,only straight.I don't do gay.Not that there's anything wrong with that.Would you like to give it a try bud ? Im all ears sir.
haha. not yet. i think i may have found the perfect girl though. shes 20 and drives an 06 750Li.
2007 Infiniti FX35
1999 BMW 323i Convertible
1966 Ford Mustang Convertible
1974 Jensen Interceptor
2000 Mercedes E320 (R.I.P.)

Sittin on stock 19s now.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erunithug View Post
haha. not yet. i think i may have found the perfect girl though. shes 20 and drives an 06 750Li.
Id watch her closely.She spells trouble.A 20 year old chick driving one of these has got a lot of baggage in tow.Be cautious and take baby steps before you find yourself in a situation where the only way out would be the most embarrassing moment in your life.If you can't be yourself around this chick,you might as well find a chick at a MUNI or BART station.Theres a whole lot more to a natural and unpredictable woman.
You like apples ??? How you like dem apples ????
Old 02-12-2008, 09:10 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
bmw_tech when BMW replaces the tranny what else is replaced. for example do they replace the torque converter ect....

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 02-12-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
bmw_tech when BMW replaces the tranny what else is replaced. for example do they replace the torque converter ect....
New tranny comes with a new torque converter.That's pretty much it.Depending on the condition of the fluid in the old transmission,most technicians do not clear the fluid contained in the cooler lines.I make it a habit to do so,regardless of the fluid condition.Since the guibo (or U-Joint) is a big issue on these vehicles,I would double check the part number and its integrity.If questionable,I would throw a new one on since there really isn't any extra labor involved.I would update the PuMA case and get authorization to replace the coupler (granted it hasn't been replaced and vehicle production falls within known affected vehicles). Other than that,the programming and clearing the adaptations would truly define "remanufactured" parts as NEW and IMPROVED.

I have ran across 2 X5's with the ZF Transmission where after installing the "new" transmission,all I had was reverse gear and I had to do it all over again.When I reported the transmission serial number,all I got from the liason/engineering dude was OOPS.I wasn't going to complain unless they didn't pay me twice.The other transmission I knew was bad because it looked like it was dropped from an airplane without a chute.The box was missing and the pallet was reduced to one slab of wood barely hanging on to the oil pan.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: Kubota on 48's
off the topic tech but other than the forklift what kind of car do u drive. in all honesty, would you recommend an e65/e66 to say - a family member. plead the 5th if you feel your job is in jeopardy.

E66 SAPPHIRE BLACK
Old 02-12-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznik007 View Post
off the topic tech but other than the forklift what kind of car do u drive. in all honesty, would you recommend an e65/e66 to say - a family member. plead the 5th if you feel your job is in jeopardy.
Don't I seem like an honest guy ? I wouldn't recommend it to a family member simply because I would end up responsible for it's maintenance.They wouldn't pay extra for the maintenance plan as long as Im around.To the tech savvy and a buddy that likes the finest things in life,I would recommend it along with the maintenance plan unless he knows what to do with a wrench and a ratchet (and the difference between the two).I on the other hand,prefer the simple things in life.I drive an E36 M3 sedan with auto trans (same tranny on the E-34 530iA).I dont like to shift in traffic (bay area),I don't like to adjust my valves,I dont like seeing my car on a rack except for routine maintenance.Perhaps I could find an E-39 M5 to my liking with a pricetag I can afford.I prefer the E-38 sport package (with all the bells and whistles including the active seats) over the E-65/66 eventhough these newer generation vehicles are far superior in every way.I've had "ricers" in the past,I wouldn't deny that.The only action I seem to get on the highways are California Highway Patrol vehicles.I can't seem to shake them off my tail everytime.I guess thats impossible if the diameter of your tailpipe is similar to the size of your wheels.I can't help but giggle everytime one of those pulls up along side me,I simply turn up my radio and get as far away possible as quickly as I can.If I were to put them in order,1 being the one I like most....:

1) E-60
2) E-65/66
3) E-90/92
4) E-64

How's that for honesty man ??
Old 02-12-2008, 10:55 PM
bmw addiction

thats good man... i wish i could see my car only on the rack for routine maintenance..... lets see some pic's of your ride.

Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 02-12-2008, 10:58 PM

Mein Auto: Kubota on 48's
honest as they come. personally, i think they should be paying you OT for putting in work on this forum. i'm thinkin' every member of this forum should donate to the "get BMW tech in an M5 cause". I got 5 on it. (dollars not thousand)

E66 SAPPHIRE BLACK
Old 02-12-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznik007 View Post
honest as they come. personally, i think they should be paying you OT for putting in work on this forum. i'm thinkin' every member of this forum should donate to the "get BMW tech in an M5 cause". I got 5 on it. (dollars not thousand)
man don't make me laugh.If my fillings happen to come apart it's going to cost me more than what you are going to give.Someday I hope to be able to sit down and have a beer with y'all.That's enough for a little good deed that everyone always seem to notice.My car isn't for show sunny_j.It looks like my grandpa,the grilles are missing along with splash shields (no front teeth)/dirty/and all panels are wrinkled.But the radio and engine sounds good.Every turn of the key guarantees a completed journey.As the great Marley said,my feet is my only carriage so I've got to push on through.

I have been blessed to have worked (and continue to work) on the 2 best car line any kid could have imagined.Ferrari and BMW.My interest in having a nice car just disappeared when I became a single dad.My interests are what keeps her happy.If she asks me for an E-65,I might just give in.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 7 series
BMW Tech,

Would you happen to have the SIB # for the issue regarding the crackling sound in the speakers for the E6xs? My speakers do this occasionally but when I bring it to my dealer, they NPF me b/c the issue doesnt surface itself. Maybe with the SIB #, I can assist my dealer a little

thanks.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03745Li-chicago View Post
BMW Tech,

Would you happen to have the SIB # for the issue regarding the crackling sound in the speakers for the E6xs? My speakers do this occasionally but when I bring it to my dealer, they NPF me b/c the issue doesnt surface itself. Maybe with the SIB #, I can assist my dealer a little

thanks.
What I would suggest is setting up an appointment to where you have spare time and wait for the vehicle.Knowing they may CND/NFF/NPF,they should run a fault survey.If there aren't any faults stored in any MOST bus module or MOST system analysis there isn't anything they can do.Intermittent problems are difficult to diagnose most especially when there aren't any errors or faults reported.Another factor that shouldn't be overlooked are faults related to battery voltage issues that the PM (power module) monitors.If they find something wrong and they don't have a loaner vehicle for you,reschedule.If no problem was found again,ask to see the diagnosis report and obtain a copy if possible.You need to pay close attention to wether or not they performed the neccessary diagnostic test plans from beginning to end.Mention it to the service advisor that if NPF was the verdict,you would like to see the diagnosis report.Use the search feature,Im sure I have tackled this particular issue on several threads.It's a toss up between AMP (LOGIC 7) or M-ASK (in-dash radio unit) and possibly TCU internal problems.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: F07 550i GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_tech View Post
What I would suggest is setting up an appointment to where you have spare time and wait for the vehicle.Knowing they may CND/NFF/NPF,they should run a fault survey.If there aren't any faults stored in any MOST bus module or MOST system analysis there isn't anything they can do.Intermittent problems are difficult to diagnose most especially when there aren't any errors or faults reported.Another factor that shouldn't be overlooked are faults related to battery voltage issues that the PM (power module) monitors.If they find something wrong and they don't have a loaner vehicle for you,reschedule.If no problem was found again,ask to see the diagnosis report and obtain a copy if possible.You need to pay close attention to wether or not they performed the neccessary diagnostic test plans from beginning to end.Mention it to the service advisor that if NPF was the verdict,you would like to see the diagnosis report.Use the search feature,Im sure I have tackled this particular issue on several threads.It's a toss up between AMP (LOGIC 7) or M-ASK (in-dash radio unit) and possibly TCU internal problems.
Hate to sound like a noob, but what does these acronyms mean: CND/NFF/NPF, TCU. I am currently having problems 14 days into ownership and I was told they are not able to find what my issues are. The only thing they did was say that I have AGM Battery??? and the car had to be recalibrated for it, and the Tow Manage Control Unit was disabled????.

There were low voltage faults found, but no trans faults which is what the car said to me and shut me down on the side of the road.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:19 PM

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevere View Post
so you took the sensors out or the whole "progrem" so you can run it with out sensors and not get the light?
They took out the sensors and the Program so that I dont get any warnings...

2005 645 Ci (Current)
8000K HID Bulbs + 7W Ebay Halos + 21" 128 Style Wheels + K&N Air Filter +

2002 745 LI (Sold)
2006 X5 (Wife's)
Old 02-25-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmooth79 View Post
Hate to sound like a noob, but what does these acronyms mean: CND/NFF/NPF, TCU. I am currently having problems 14 days into ownership and I was told they are not able to find what my issues are. The only thing they did was say that I have AGM Battery??? and the car had to be recalibrated for it, and the Tow Manage Control Unit was disabled????.

There were low voltage faults found, but no trans faults which is what the car said to me and shut me down on the side of the road.
First off,my apologies to all for my absence.Ill do my best to get back here just like before.I just had to decide wether or not to leave my current employer.Im staying put.

CND-cannot duplicate
NFF-No Fault Found
NPF-No Problem Found
TCU-Telematics Control Unit which you referred to as Tow Manage Control Unit

Battery State of Health and Charge could cause all these problems.By disabling the TCU,it prevents it from waking up in order to transmit data and check whatever data it needs in order to operate/transmit.Since you don't have an active Assist contract,it is disabled.See my posting on AGM battery for information/clarification.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:38 PM
bmw addiction

^^ im telling you open up a shop up here.

Black Trim Painted White

Old 02-25-2008, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
for the past two days when i start my car for the first time i been getting random malfuntions. i couldnt take a pic of the one from yest but i managed to take one today, it said "Drive control! Drive moderately" Drive control systems malfuncion.

any idea's why this is happening? could it be the cold weather because it barely gets over freezing here.
Hi Sunny_J,

I got the same error, disappeared the next day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0013.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	136722