Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 750i
Navigation

Mister BMW tech,

Perhaps my problem was listed somewhere on the forum, however I wasn't able to find it.
2002 745i. Navigation screen is returning following error every time I am trying to input destination aether from address book, ABC's or destination list. It always come back as
"Destination cannot be saved.
Destination list is full. Please delete
a destination first"

I've deleted all data from nav. memory, it is doing same thing. Otherwise, everything associated with the Nav. Screen works OK. Am I doing something wrong or just Germans taking revenge?
BTW, which model of the Glock are you sporting?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 745LI
Lost Audio Nav radio and CD

Hello,
My 2004 745 li lost voice command Radio, Nav, CD and phone functions.
The I-drive can only operate the climate control. At start-up I get a warning display in the dash between speedometer and RPM stating the SOS malfunction.
Would like to hear from if anyone else has experienced this and if so what cured it. I am hoping its not a visit to the dealer..
Thank you
Old 03-02-2009, 01:22 PM
E65/E66 Helper Man.......

Send a message via AIM to harjothundal Send a message via MSN to harjothundal
Mein Auto: BMW 745 Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomboy View Post
I've deleted all data from nav. memory, it is doing same thing. Otherwise, everything associated with the Nav. Screen works OK. Am I doing something wrong or just Germans taking revenge?
this is normal... you have to clear all entried in your route list... it's tricky, but theres a place to clear it... unfortunately i no longer have my 7 so i cant give you detailed instructions... but you do go into your destinations folder and delete all entries there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr_bullet View Post
Hello,
My 2004 745 li lost voice command Radio, Nav, CD and phone functions.
The I-drive can only operate the climate control. At start-up I get a warning display in the dash between speedometer and RPM stating the SOS malfunction.
Would like to hear from if anyone else has experienced this and if so what cured it. I am hoping its not a visit to the dealer..
Thank you
from your description, it will facilitate a dealer visit... you have a break in the most ring, and by all your audio components not working, it is indicating that a component of the ring has gone down and is faulty... now, since you say you receive a sos error, i would suspect the tcu as the culprit... tcu - telematics control unit, it handles the bmw assist and sos functions... best thing to try would be to purchase a most bus jumper from your dealership, and jump the tcu... if everything starts working, then you know the tcu is bad...
Old 03-02-2009, 07:18 PM
jack of all trades

Mein Auto: 745i
errrrr.... frustrated

ok first thing is my 745i the low and high beams will not turn on but the rest of the lights work, i can use the high beams as to flash as passing lights though... i think either the light module or switch itself. no one seems to know! second is the idrive has gone haywire... the screen moved down a little, everything is in german, says i have a tape deck when i dont, wont play cds or even acknowledge them, and the idrive itself spins freely... anyone have any suggestions? also where is the light module and the ebox fan located?
Old 03-03-2009, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 745LI
Thanks for the advice, going thru the blog I found F.A.Q someone had posted a while back...It suggested to remove the phone fuse ( # 5) for 2 minutes. I tried this removed fuses 2,5 34 and 76( radio, nav and command module fuses). IT WORKED. Hope this will help someone else in future.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745Li, X5 3.0, A6 2.7t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multani View Post
BMW _ tech wen i press the button on my trunk lid the trunk opens Almost all the way but not the whole way.
why wont it open all the way???????
VTB
Old 03-24-2009, 11:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750 Li
BMWTech, any news on the new ipod interface cable? I believe you mentioned a while back that one w/ coming in March? Also, will it fix the numerous issues-works fine some of the time and then other times you just get the spinning clock on the CD1, CD2, etc. selection with no progression? Thanks for the help!

2013 750 Li Alpine White/Black|M-Sport Pkg|LED Lighting Pkg|Exec Pkg|Drivers Assist Pkg|760 Exhaust Tips|Painted Calipers

2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum--Arctic Frost Pearl/Red Rock

2006 750 Li-Retired
2006 330i-Retired
2002 M3-Retired
2000 323Ci-Retired
1991 M3-Retired
Old 03-28-2009, 08:38 PM

quick silly question: does the sleep button in the trunk for the battery erase the iDrive memory (time,music preferences, radio stations, etc.) ?
Old 03-29-2009, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: 03 745Li
Mr. BMW Tech (I posted this in a post all it's own and got not where. Since you are the man, I thought I'd post it on your thread)

So I just changed the front brakes, everything seemed to be easy/ went fine, but then I drove it about 3 or 4 hours a few days later and when I slowed down in a parking lot, there was a very faint clicking noise coming from the front.

It doesn't happen at idle, which leads me to believe it's not anything on the engine, so when I got back home, I jacked up both sides and turned the wheels with my hands (rotated them forward) and couldn't hear the clicking. I also didn't notice anything irregular with the discs/brakes.

Is there something i'm not thinking of? I don't think there's a front diff but cant see anything with all the air guards under the car. I'm no mechanical genius, but it seems like with a rear wheel drive vehicle, there wouldn't be anything turning in the front center of the car when it's rolling.

The clicking does speed up with the car as it speeds up, but then road noise and wind noise takes over and I can't hear it. I also can't find any debris in the tire treads.

If I roll the windows down, even at very low speed ( 5mph) I can't hear it.

Edit: The clicking seems to be getting stronger, it appears after about 5 minutes of driving now, and I can hear it all the way up to about 55mph, before wind noise takes over. Obviously the faster the car goes, the faster the clicking, at 55mph it's almost a hum. If I push it to around 60-65, the sound is gone.

It also doesn't happen when the car is cold, only after the engine is warm, and it's been driven for about 30 minutes.

Any ideas? Taking it to the dealer on Monday.

Last edited by Blue Bimmer; 03-29-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 735i
Hello Mr BMW Tech,
My car (2002 735i n62 euro) went in to Engine Failsafe Mode. I used an OBD code-reader to get the codes and the codes were : 285a (VVT Actuator Monitoring) : 285b (VVT Actuator Monitoring Bank2) any idea what could cause these codes to appear?

Thanks in advance,
Old 04-10-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bimmer View Post
Mr. BMW Tech (I posted this in a post all it's own and got not where. Since you are the man, I thought I'd post it on your thread)

So I just changed the front brakes, everything seemed to be easy/ went fine, but then I drove it about 3 or 4 hours a few days later and when I slowed down in a parking lot, there was a very faint clicking noise coming from the front.

It doesn't happen at idle, which leads me to believe it's not anything on the engine, so when I got back home, I jacked up both sides and turned the wheels with my hands (rotated them forward) and couldn't hear the clicking. I also didn't notice anything irregular with the discs/brakes.

Is there something i'm not thinking of? I don't think there's a front diff but cant see anything with all the air guards under the car. I'm no mechanical genius, but it seems like with a rear wheel drive vehicle, there wouldn't be anything turning in the front center of the car when it's rolling.

The clicking does speed up with the car as it speeds up, but then road noise and wind noise takes over and I can't hear it. I also can't find any debris in the tire treads.

If I roll the windows down, even at very low speed ( 5mph) I can't hear it.

Edit: The clicking seems to be getting stronger, it appears after about 5 minutes of driving now, and I can hear it all the way up to about 55mph, before wind noise takes over. Obviously the faster the car goes, the faster the clicking, at 55mph it's almost a hum. If I push it to around 60-65, the sound is gone.

It also doesn't happen when the car is cold, only after the engine is warm, and it's been driven for about 30 minutes.

Any ideas? Taking it to the dealer on Monday.

Update: took it to the dealer... they said everything was normal, but offered to replace my brand new pads??? The sound is getting much much worse.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bimmer View Post
Update: took it to the dealer... they said everything was normal, but offered to replace my brand new pads??? The sound is getting much much worse.
My apologies for neglecting this thread. People were coming here for this and joining. But it also attracts terrorists and ends up becoming an infraction on my end after all what I have done here. You can easily tell who they are, they've never read this thread all the way to this END. My apologies to all of you. On to business:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...91&hg=34&fg=05

You said that you did the front brakes when all this started to happen. Refer to the link above and look closely at all the parts. A missing rattle clip (#8) could cause noises. Parts numbered 6 and 7 may be backwards and loose. One of these is longer than the other, to keep it simple. This holds the caliper in place. A pebble getting stuck between the backing plate and the rotor is a possibility. I would double check everything if I were you and kill the noise........instead of killing yourself.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:48 AM

Mein Auto: 735i
Just searched the thread for vvt and got my answer! : Dealer. Sorry for wasting your time BMW_tech. I will try to get my 7 to dealer as soon as possible, (nearest is 70 miles) so it will be a lot of fun to get it there.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_tech View Post
My apologies for neglecting this thread. People were coming here for this and joining. But it also attracts terrorists and ends up becoming an infraction on my end after all what I have done here. You can easily tell who they are, they've never read this thread all the way to this END. My apologies to all of you. On to business:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...91&hg=34&fg=05

You said that you did the front brakes when all this started to happen. Refer to the link above and look closely at all the parts. A missing rattle clip (#8) could cause noises. Parts numbered 6 and 7 may be backwards and loose. One of these is longer than the other, to keep it simple. This holds the caliper in place. A pebble getting stuck between the backing plate and the rotor is a possibility. I would double check everything if I were you and kill the noise........instead of killing yourself.

Thank you BMW Tech!!! I took it all apart this AM and guess what, almost all of the wheel bolts were loose!!! WTF BMW dealership??? They said they checked everything, so either the wheel bolts were loose b/c i didn't re torque them, or they never even took the wheels off. So frustrating.

Anyway, problem solved, the wheel bolts were loose.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to mcfalcons15 Send a message via MSN to mcfalcons15 Send a message via Yahoo to mcfalcons15
Mein Auto: 2004 Black on Black 745Li
Tech, which fuse(s) control the locking doors

Tech, ever since I installed my mobridge, and messed around with the fuses, my keyfob no longer locks, unlocks the doors or trunk. I am thinking it is because I messed around with the fuses in the glove compartment/trunk. Any help would be appreciated. From looking at the glove compartment diagram, it seems like the same fuses that control the radio and cd changer (2/6) would be the ones, but my radio works fine. Could they still be bad, or is something else the culprit? I also hooked my mobridge up incorrectly the first time, and didn't switch the power and ground wires, could that be it?

UPDATE: Never mind I found it. It was the last fuse on the bottom right in the glove compartment. It was a b!tch to get in, but I got it.
2005 Toyota Sienna CE

"Bout My Business"

Last edited by mcfalcons15; 04-18-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:33 PM

side light

my side marker has some dried up water stuck in it (the water is still in there for 1 month since i got it now). It is stuck on the inside of the clear plastic cover. i took the whole unit out, with the wire attached, and i tried pulling it a lot but that did not work. i took the black rubber seal off, it still did not come out. how do i do this? i want to get to the inside of the clear plastic cover. the water inside it looks really bad if you go close to the car.

Last edited by OnlySkills; 04-17-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 735i
Hi Everyone,
I have some problem with my 2002 E65 735i. I had my rear bumper repainted and I believe the mechanic has disconnect the battery for the PDC. Now, when everything is put back together, the "Parking Brake" is not working. It shows YELLOW in color. Is there anyway that I can reset this? Also, the Favourite Key for the Auto P doesn't work.

Any tip is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Mr V8-Stressed now
Old 06-23-2009, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 540i
Anybody can give me advise for 1999 540I, last march 09 dealership replaced my cluster due to pixels issue. we split the cost two ways. that is a relief. couple of months later had to bring the car back because the directional signal in the cluster is not working. At first, dealership stated that the cluster was defective, after keeping the car trying to accept the program for four (4) days they told me that the cluster was fine but the directional signal module was not working. whats going on???
Old 07-02-2009, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: '06 750LI
I have searched this forum for weeks, trying to find out about the satellite radio in my 06 750Li. When I had a weak battery, the satellite would work sometimes. It would say "acquiring". Some days I would come out to go to work and the satellite would work fine. After replacing the battery the satellite is always saying "acquiring". The dealer speculates that the antenna is bad. I just don't think it is the antenna and I am not paying $150 for them do some type of reset. Is it a way to reset the satellite radio or something?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Get Down in A Town

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
BMW Tech - i am new to this forum and apologize if this has been asked and answered before. I have a 2004 545i, and the battery was recently replaced in the car by a non-bmw dealership. Once installed the car runs great with no issues but i began to see malfunction warnings in the idrive screen: transmission, cruise control, electronics, they would come on and go off just as quickly. the car alwasy ran great. this was over a period of a week. I have an appt with the BMw shop this friday, but now i started the car and the idrive screen is completely blank and i have tried several times to try the three finger reset, but with no success. Can you shed some light on this for me?
Old 07-30-2009, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
ANYBODY WITH A POSSIBLE SOLUTION!- got an 02 745Li. turned it on monday morning and immediately got an indication it was in failsafe mode. wont go into gear but will start. i had it towed to a non bmw shop but specialized euro car shop said i need a new solenoid ____. said if we fix that my tranny will poop on me in a matter of months. battery indication came on one week before this problem stating it needed to be recharged. any ideas what it might be?.. not looking forward to paying 9k for a car i just got 1 month ago!.. thanks in advance for anyone and everyones help!

hoping to be at bimmerfest in bimmer.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:37 PM
E38 E91 (R56 E30 E39)

Mein Auto: The E38
Hi folks,

BMW_tech isn't as active on this thread as in the past, so please consider posting your question on the appropriate main board rather than this thread, or this DIY board.
For example, use the (LINK) BimmerFest E65/66 board if your 7 series is 2002 to 2008.

Be sure your thread summarizes the problem and it's a good idea to start with the year and model. Instead of "I need help!" or "I don't know what to do?" title it something like "03 745Li radio died.")

Thread closed for now.

Passed on to new families:
E30 1987 325i Royal Blue
E39 2003 540i/6 Sterling Gray
R56 2010 Mini Cooper S British Racing Green

Closed Thread