Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_tech View Post
I mentioned to you before in some thread here in our world,we cannot alter the Vehicle Order of any vehicle due to the complexity of these engineering codes that only has 5 characters at the most.There is no "master list" of codes unfortunately,and the software they provide cannot change any inputs other than the "preset" programs (retrofitting of accessories). In the event where the Vehicle Order of a vehicle has been erased somehow (perhaps during programming and the power went out),engineering from BMWNA would pick up the PuMA case (Montvale) and forward it to where they keep the engineers locked up (underground somewhere in Germany) and with the reply comes a formatted file to be saved on a floppy or a CD.The SSS takes over via PROGMAN and adapts the VO to the vehicle.Retrofits are then added one at a time because only the original equipment is contained in the VO.
Are we driving cars or space ships ???
Old 02-25-2008, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: F07 550i GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ze_745i View Post
Hi Sunny_J,

I got the same error, disappeared the next day
Hey thats the same msg I got the night my car died ...

BMW TECH ... can the TCU kill the charging system/battery etc. And if my voltage dropped enough to shut off the car, and they say the battery is ok then wouldnt that mean the alternator is bad????
Old 02-26-2008, 01:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
^^ im telling you open up a shop up here.
I would love to,It may be tough if you were my only client and I lose you if I couldn't find a way to turn on the TV function for the front screen.Id be working at Mc Donalds wishing I hadn't listened to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ze_745i View Post
Are we driving cars or space ships ???

You have no idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmooth79 View Post
Hey thats the same msg I got the night my car died ...

BMW TECH ... can the TCU kill the charging system/battery etc. And if my voltage dropped enough to shut off the car, and they say the battery is ok then wouldnt that mean the alternator is bad????
Any resets or MOST bus frequent wake-ups could cause a dead battery.If the PM (power module) picks up on the problem,it would prevent the battery from death.Only if the grim reaper had taken a cell out of the battery would mean replacement becomes neccessary.Alternator failures are picked up by the DME if it cannot keep up with the demand.This isn't your neighbors camry,its a space shuttle.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 7 series
BMW_tech,

I experience this subtle clunk when downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear, right before I come to a stop. So far, Ive had a guibo replaced followed by my torque converter (2 seperate visits). Upon this 3rd visit, nothing was done abt the problem b/c they cant pinpoint the issue. I then asked the dealer if they reprogram and clear out my tranny adaptations b/c this makes the clunk noise disappear, for a month or so. The dealer said they couldnt do that for whatever reason.

Does BMWNA not allow clearing out the trannys memory anymore unless you have a concrete case? Is clearing out the tranny adaptations that difficult?

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: Kubota on 48's
We should make this thread a sticky - that way BMWtech doesn't have to search for questions people ask. Either that, or we need to get a BMW roundel projected onto the clouds in the sky to let him know he is being summoned. heres what i have in mind. sweeeeet!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMWMAN4.jpg
Views:	11575
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	136998  

E66 SAPPHIRE BLACK
Old 02-26-2008, 04:21 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
now thats quality photoshoping ahhahaha
i agree this thread should be a sticky.

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 02-27-2008, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznik007 View Post
We should make this thread a sticky - that way BMWtech doesn't have to search for questions people ask. Either that, or we need to get a BMW roundel projected onto the clouds in the sky to let him know he is being summoned. heres what i have in mind. sweeeeet!!!!!
Thanks,I like it a lot!
Old 02-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Account close at users request

Mein Auto: 2003 745Li
My question is will my maintenance program replace my brakes and rotors before the idrive alerts the car? or do I have to wait for it?

My car is braking hard and lately its beginning to squeek in the front end. I know a dont have a mouse up there

Update: my car is back in the dealership for a 3rd time now on the same steering/hydraulic fault? i hope they can find out whats wrong this time, thank god for warranty.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:50 PM

Update: something in the rear end that is attached to my steering/hydraulic lines is leaking bad and they are ordering a part from Germany.

Will takes 2 weeks and I cannot drive my car, they will not give me loaner?
BMWTech, how do I go about getting a loaner? or am I not allowed one?

Also reply to question above if you can,
Thanks
Old 03-01-2008, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey83 View Post
Update: something in the rear end that is attached to my steering/hydraulic lines is leaking bad and they are ordering a part from Germany.

Will takes 2 weeks and I cannot drive my car, they will not give me loaner?
BMWTech, how do I go about getting a loaner? or am I not allowed one?

Also reply to question above if you can,
Thanks
Is the vehicle equipped with EDC (dampening control),EHC (ride height/air susp),ARS ??
You are certain that they are hydraulic lines???

Dealerships have policies about loaners.I know of a dealership that only gives out loaners to clients that bought their vehicles at their center.Another thing is,Im not familiar how they do things in Canada.It's common sense that BMW should provide you with a loaner.Ask the dealership,if they give you a hard time call BMW Canada and see about getting a loaner/rental free of charge.If the part is coming from Germany it has to go through customs.If the terror alert happens to be on high alert,the hydraulic hose may seem like some sort of a bomb making device and custom agents may have to investigate.As crazy as it may seem,it happens.What's crazy is if the part they ordered happens to be incorrect.In saying that,it's not available in the country because of 2 reasons.One,you're the first to have this problem.Two,they made a mistake at looking up the part and the part number.Ask the dealership exactly what part was ordered and look it up at www.realoem.com and see if the part numbers are even close.I doubt that it will only take 2 weeks.A few days of diagnosis and 2 weeks without a car,Id pick from any demo they have including the GM's and demand for the keys.When a loaner becomes available,give it back at your convenience.If they are truly a Center of Excellence,you're a client for life.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Is the vehicle equipped with EDC (dampening control),EHC (ride height/air susp),ARS ??
You are certain that they are hydraulic lines???

Dealerships have policies about loaners.I know of a dealership that only gives out loaners to clients that bought their vehicles at their center.Another thing is,Im not familiar how they do things in Canada.It's common sense that BMW should provide you with a loaner.Ask the dealership,if they give you a hard time call BMW Canada and see about getting a loaner/rental free of charge.If the part is coming from Germany it has to go through customs.If the terror alert happens to be on high alert,the hydraulic hose may seem like some sort of a bomb making device and custom agents may have to investigate.As crazy as it may seem,it happens.What's crazy is if the part they ordered happens to be incorrect.In saying that,it's not available in the country because of 2 reasons.One,you're the first to have this problem.Two,they made a mistake at looking up the part and the part number.Ask the dealership exactly what part was ordered and look it up at www.realoem.com and see if the part numbers are even close.I doubt that it will only take 2 weeks.A few days of diagnosis and 2 weeks without a car,Id pick from any demo they have including the GM's and demand for the keys.When a loaner becomes available,give it back at your convenience.If they are truly a Center of Excellence,you're a client for life.
Thank you for your response, I will be going over there today to pick up somethings in my car that I will be needing and talk to the service dept. in person to see whats the problem.

I bought this car in the USA and imported it since the BMWs sold here are 40% more so I know they already have a bitter taste in their mouth from me doing that. But when our dollar is $1.10 to the US dollar back in Nov., so when I imported it which inturn saved me at least $8000 what do they think consumers would do since BMW Canada still does not want price adjust.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:36 AM

Update: Just came back from the dealership and I picked up some stuff I needed that was in the car. The mechanic that was dealing with my car was there and I talked to him for a bit about the issues. He said the whole rear end hydraulic suspension needs to be replaced which makes the car level when cornering

Said will take 2 weeks min for parts from Germany, and some time to install. I asked him about how much it would cost if not under warranty and he said between $3500-$4000.

So fr things that have been done to my car since I got it in November:

1) Steering/Hydraulic Fault - Replaced 2 hoses
2) Rear Left Speaker Blown - Replaced Speaker
Was fine for a month then....
3) Steering/Hydraulic Fault - Topped up fluid (could not find anything wrong)
4) Right Angel eye fault - Replaced bulb
5) Rear License Plates LED fault - Replace led
Was fine for 2 days .....
6) Steering/Hydraulic Fault - Which what they are fixing now

I asked about loaner and he said they will call me on Monday , I doubt they will.
Its hard as a 24 yr old to get my point across to some of these older Service Dept. people.
They never take me serious

After warranty I doubt I'll be keeping my 7
Old 03-01-2008, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i GC MSport
Quote:
I asked about loaner and he said they will call me on Monday , I doubt they will.
Mikey: think of it from their point of view. You saved 40% by buying your 7 south of the line. Meanwhile the dealer, who after all has to front the funds for the loaner cars, has other customers who supported him by buying in YVR. Not surprising you can't get a loaner.

I have some knowledge of the situation as I ran a truck up from TX for my brother-in-law in YYC last fall. As I recall some manufacturers were trying to support their Canadian dealers by refusing to honor the warranties on US cars. So things could be worse.

"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?"
- Jack Kerouac, On the Road
Old 03-01-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ken View Post
Mikey: think of it from their point of view. You saved 40% by buying your 7 south of the line. Meanwhile the dealer, who after all has to front the funds for the loaner cars, has other customers who supported him by buying in YVR. Not surprising you can't get a loaner.

I have some knowledge of the situation as I ran a truck up from TX for my brother-in-law in YYC last fall. As I recall some manufacturers were trying to support their Canadian dealers by refusing to honor the warranties on US cars. So things could be worse.
I understand what you mean , and I dont want to get into the whole importation things again. But If our dollars are the same, and the cars are made in Germany they cannot blame me for going somewhere that the price tag is 40% cheaper regardless how they feel.

Its a North American bumper to bumper warranty so if I was an American and had car trouble in Canada I would hope they would treat me the same as a Canadian living here.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:31 AM

Update: My new rental until my 7 gets fixed is a Dodge Caliber
I give them a 7 and they give me a dodge
Old 03-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Certified Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E65 E30
Quote:
lol
Old 03-06-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I didn't expect them to give you one.I was going to ask you to shave your legs so it's easier to hitchhike.Take the BMW bicycle,it folds in case you have to ride the train or bus.If you have to cross a body of water,ask for an old seat occupancy mat assembly in parts department....they make good life vests.Have them duct tape 2 of them as if you were a sandwich.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:59 PM

Mein Auto: M35
i took my car to the dealer and thats what they told me

* client states lower tray doesnt open

removed tray and found spring mechanism missing( unable to cover under warranty (bull sh|t)

*clients state water fluid has leaks

No leaks found when check , tank is full if filled to top water will drain out through vent tube
Clients states Ac turns on after bieng switched off

cant duplicate problem at time checked>>>

SO BMW TECH are they messing with me and is these items replaceable or not?

thanks in advance
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SOLD
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 03-07-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo's_se\/en View Post
i took my car to the dealer and thats what they told me

* client states lower tray doesnt open

removed tray and found spring mechanism missing( unable to cover under warranty (bull sh|t)

*clients state water fluid has leaks

No leaks found when check , tank is full if filled to top water will drain out through vent tube
Clients states Ac turns on after bieng switched off

cant duplicate problem at time checked>>>

SO BMW TECH are they messing with me and is these items replaceable or not?

thanks in advance
If those are the exact notes the technician wrote Id say he doesn't know what he is doing and he isn't qualified to work on the vehicle.He didn't even attemp to diagnose any complaints in order to get any claims paid.Not even a fault scan or a test plan for the A/C complaint was carried out.Having said that,the technician is unaware of the PROTOCOL.
I have replaced missing springs before because the darn thing falls in and disappears into the abyss.I have a feeling they blew you off and the technician didn't even take any initiative of removing the other tray in order to locate the missing spring.The "hack" could have lost it or may have had difficulty re-installing the darn thing.As I have told you,it can be such a PITA to re-install.There are times I get them in but it makes noise when opening and I have to remove and try again.Unlike the tech that worked on your vehicle,I never give up easily.
The washer fluid also gave it away.He never bothered to check the operation.There could be a leak at one of the hoses.There is a good chance the headlight or windshield washer sprays are inop.Dumba$$ just filled it up.
In any case A/C complaints comes up,there is an S.I.B. that states a test plan must be carried out pertaining to the concern if no faults are stored.
Go and find another BMW store man.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 10 750i
BMW Tech,

I brought my car to the dealer because when I press the MAX button on the A/C, the fan only increases the speed a little bit even though the temp drops to the min. They said nothing is wrong with the fan and blamed it on the fact that my car sits for several days unused and the battery is "low". The car starts fine every time and I have no other issues. So I took the car on the highway during daylight for about an hour to "recoup" the battery but still the max fan speed is not high enough.

Do you think they told me a bunch of B/S to get rid of me?
Old 03-08-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asci01 View Post
BMW Tech,

I brought my car to the dealer because when I press the MAX button on the A/C, the fan only increases the speed a little bit even though the temp drops to the min. They said nothing is wrong with the fan and blamed it on the fact that my car sits for several days unused and the battery is "low". The car starts fine every time and I have no other issues. So I took the car on the highway during daylight for about an hour to "recoup" the battery but still the max fan speed is not high enough.

Do you think they told me a bunch of B/S to get rid of me?
YES

SI B 64 22 05

SUBJECT
Blower Motor Operates at Reduced Speed

MODEL
E65, E66 (7 Series)

SITUATION
The customer states that after the vehicle is started the blower motor operates at a reduced speed, especially when "MAX" A/C is selected.

CAUSE
The Power Module activates the "Load-circuit peak reduction" function based on battery SoC (State of Charge), thus reducing the blower speed output.

Since September 2003 the message in the Control Display "A/C System Restricted" is suppressed. This includes vehicles that have had the software updated using CIP 9.4 or later.

Perform a short test on the vehicle and complete all DIS test plans (including "Energy Diagnosis" if applicable) on any relevant faults.

Select "Control module functions" and select 'PM Power Module" from the control modules list.

Select "Diagnosis requests" and "-Load/consumer priorities".

Select "Load/consumer priority A+B" and "Display".

Note the number in the "Messages and results" screen.

0 = Normal operation without peak reduction (KL 15 "ON")

1 = Terminal R "ON" without peak reduction or generator defect or under-voltage acknowledged.

4 = Corresponds to maximum peak reduction.

5 = Corresponds to medium peak reduction.

6 = Corresponds to minimum peak reduction.

If peak reduction has been confirmed, check the battery and charging system using the BMW Battery Tester. Refer to SI B04 25 02.

Check for excessive closed-circuit current using the 50-Amp clamp.

i don't think they read this s.i.b. correctly.what was the result? the draw test? the result of the battery and charging system test? the diagnostic test? also try this :

For maximum cooling performance select the "MAX" A/C button. This function will provide the following:

Temperature is switched to lowest temperature

System switched to recirculated-air mode

Maximum air flow from center vents

If you prefer using the "AUTO" mode proceed to check the settings as outline below

Enter into the Climate Control menu of the Control Display.

Adjust the stratified vent temperature settings by using the controller to hot/cold setting.

Change the "AUTO" mode intensity to medium or high.

Change the desired temperature settings for each side to maximum high or low temperature.

Recheck the performance of the system.

If the system now performs properly, you fixed it.

If the system still doesn't perform properly, they should continue with standard troubleshooting.

Last edited by BMW_tech; 03-08-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 10 750i
Quote:
YES

SI B 64 22 05

SUBJECT
Blower Motor Operates at Reduced Speed

MODEL
E65, E66 (7 Series)

SITUATION
The customer states that after the vehicle is started the blower motor operates at a reduced speed, especially when "MAX" A/C is selected.

CAUSE
The Power Module activates the "Load-circuit peak reduction" function based on battery SoC (State of Charge), thus reducing the blower speed output.

Since September 2003 the message in the Control Display "A/C System Restricted" is suppressed. This includes vehicles that have had the software updated using CIP 9.4 or later.

Perform a short test on the vehicle and complete all DIS test plans (including "Energy Diagnosis" if applicable) on any relevant faults.

Select "Control module functions" and select 'PM Power Module" from the control modules list.

Select "Diagnosis requests" and "-Load/consumer priorities".

Select "Load/consumer priority A+B" and "Display".

Note the number in the "Messages and results" screen.

0 = Normal operation without peak reduction (KL 15 "ON")

1 = Terminal R "ON" without peak reduction or generator defect or under-voltage acknowledged.

4 = Corresponds to maximum peak reduction.

5 = Corresponds to medium peak reduction.

6 = Corresponds to minimum peak reduction.

If peak reduction has been confirmed, check the battery and charging system using the BMW Battery Tester. Refer to SI B04 25 02.

Check for excessive closed-circuit current using the 50-Amp clamp.

i don't think they read this s.i.b. correctly.what was the result? the draw test? the result of the battery and charging system test? the diagnostic test? also try this :

For maximum cooling performance select the "MAX" A/C button. This function will provide the following:

Temperature is switched to lowest temperature

System switched to recirculated-air mode

Maximum air flow from center vents

If you prefer using the "AUTO" mode proceed to check the settings as outline below

Enter into the Climate Control menu of the Control Display.

Adjust the stratified vent temperature settings by using the controller to hot/cold setting.

Change the "AUTO" mode intensity to medium or high.

Change the desired temperature settings for each side to maximum high or low temperature.

Recheck the performance of the system.

If the system now performs properly, you fixed it.

If the system still doesn't perform properly, they should continue with standard troubleshooting.
Thank you for the prompt response

Unfortunately it didn't work. However, while I was working on the settings with the engine off, I received the message "recharge battery" but the car started fine after that.

What do you think is going on? Does it sound like I have a bad battery?

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asci01 View Post
Thank you for the prompt response

Unfortunately it didn't work. However, while I was working on the settings with the engine off, I received the message "recharge battery" but the car started fine after that.

What do you think is going on? Does it sound like I have a bad battery?

Thanks!
had your dealership done it right they would have found out that the battery is weak and SoC is critical.i think you may have a dead cell therefore i believe your battery is .................................................. .....................................

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=242716

Last edited by BMW_tech; 03-08-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03745Li-chicago View Post
BMW_tech,

I experience this subtle clunk when downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear, right before I come to a stop. So far, Ive had a guibo replaced followed by my torque converter (2 seperate visits). Upon this 3rd visit, nothing was done abt the problem b/c they cant pinpoint the issue. I then asked the dealer if they reprogram and clear out my tranny adaptations b/c this makes the clunk noise disappear, for a month or so. The dealer said they couldnt do that for whatever reason.

Does BMWNA not allow clearing out the trannys memory anymore unless you have a concrete case? Is clearing out the tranny adaptations that difficult?

Thanks.
My apologies to you sir,I failed to respond to your post (I hope sunny_j won't fire me for this ).As they say,it is better late than never.

SI B 24 23 07 Transmission Diagnosis and Troubleshooting hints :

Drive the vehicle to reproduce the customer's complaint.

Be as specific as possible when describing the issue at hand, including the exact driving and environmental conditions required to reproduce the complaint. ("Transmission is shifting badly" will create more questions than answers).

If the complaint cannot be verified, contact the customer to obtain a specific description of the problem. If possible, test drive with the customer, observing any unusual driving habits (e.g., "Two-footed driver").

FASTA Data
this is the data transmitted to BMW technical assistance from the diagnostic tester

Perform a "Short Test" and transmit the FASTA data prior to programming or troubleshooting. In many instances, the "uncontaminated" FASTA information may be helpful in determining the root cause.

Transmission Shift Concerns and Fluid Leaks

Adjust and/or correct the fluid level, and then clear the EGS adaptation values and test drive.

If the shift issue is resolved, then address the root cause of the leak.

If the complaint is unresolved, then submission of a PuMA case for further instruction is required.

If the vehicle integration level (vehicle data status) is E065-07-03-800 or less, reprogram the vehicle using the latest version of Progman to E065-07-09-800 or higher.

LOOKS PRETTY CONCRETE TO ME.TAKE THIS INFORMATION AND AS A GENTLEMAN,ASK THEM TO DIAGNOSE IT AGAIN.
Document all the repairs (keep copies in the glovebox of all related repairs) and if you are still not satisfied,contact the service manager and ask to contact the market team or service engineer for the region (if not,contact BMWNA directly and they will help you contact the market/region engineer).You play nice,they will either replace your tranny or you can ask for an assist trade as the final straw.if you play by the rules,you cannot be denied because you deserve it.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:06 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
ill let this one slide bmw_tech lol

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Closed Thread