Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 7 series
Tire question

BMW_tech,

Is there any harm in running a slightly wider tire on the 21" style 128 wheels? The preferred sizes are 245/35/21 (F) and 285/30/21 (R). I was thinking about going with a 255 in the front and a 295 in the rear.

What are your thoughts sir?

Thanks!!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:15 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
no there isnt. my next set will be that spec.

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 03-18-2008, 11:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunco View Post
Hmmm....could BMW Tech secretly be "Johnny" the omniscient shoeshine boy from the Police Squad (Naked Gun) series?
No Im actually one of the Pokemons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndade View Post
I dont think it is the amp had that replaced along with the ask unit not to long ago. Yes i have bluetooth and its only that speaker that makes weird sounds either on phone when nav is talking or music.
I would simply swap out the speaker that makes the noise (left to right) and see if the white noise is still present.If not,I would look closely at schematics and check the integrity of the circuit.It could be a bad or loose ground wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Contact me directly and we'll see what we can do.
E.T. phone home.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: M35
BMW_Tech, is there a SIB on the steering rack thing or it's up to the dealer and your relation ship with your SA , also in my car records in sows that ignition coils been changed to upgraded BOSCH, ever now and then in a stop light it idles up and down and become rough during the stop only , not every time? what should be my concern , when is the new software is coming out, shaking the steering wheel from 45mph and up is annoying, any reccomendations MR TECH would be greatly appreciated thanks
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SOLD
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 03-20-2008, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: M35
BMW_Tech, is there a SIB on the steering rack thing or it's up to the dealer and your relation ship with your SA , also in my car records in shows that ignition coils been changed to upgraded BOSCH, every now and then in a stop light it idles rough rpm up and down during the stop only , not every time? what should be my concern , when is the new software is coming out, shaking the steering wheel from 45mph and up is annoying, any reccomendations MR TECH would be greatly appreciated thanks

Sorry for double post
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SOLD
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 03-20-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo's_se\/en View Post
BMW_Tech, is there a SIB on the steering rack thing or it's up to the dealer and your relation ship with your SA , also in my car records in shows that ignition coils been changed to upgraded BOSCH, every now and then in a stop light it idles rough rpm up and down during the stop only , not every time? what should be my concern , when is the new software is coming out, shaking the steering wheel from 45mph and up is annoying, any reccomendations MR TECH would be greatly appreciated thanks

Sorry for double post
No S.I.B. regarding the steering rack but there is an S.I. for vehicle exhibiting a loss of power driving, momentarily affecting steering effort, while decelerating and turning or coming to stop.The correction would be updating the DME software due to SW calibration error in the DME.You should at least be at E065-07-03-510 software level.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:32 AM
BMW E65 745i

Send a message via MSN to Lappy
Mein Auto: 745i
Hi BMW_Tech, I got a problem with my radio.

All of the sudden, I can't listen to radio stations anymore.
It's just noise. Sometimes I hear the signal, but it fades away after a few seconds.

Do you know what's wrong with the radio?
Old 03-21-2008, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappy View Post
Hi BMW_Tech, I got a problem with my radio.

All of the sudden, I can't listen to radio stations anymore.
It's just noise. Sometimes I hear the signal, but it fades away after a few seconds.

Do you know what's wrong with the radio?
It's not your radio.It's the ANTENNA TUNER.Hardware problem in the AVT (antenna tuner).

After the vehicle has been parked outside for an extended time in the hot sun, the MOST-bus and audio in CD mode is working, only the radio is inoperative. The radio operation is restored once the interior of the vehicle is cooled down.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:35 AM
BMW E65 745i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_tech View Post
It's not your radio.It's the ANTENNA TUNER.Hardware problem in the AVT (antenna tuner).

After the vehicle has been parked outside for an extended time in the hot sun, the MOST-bus and audio in CD mode is working, only the radio is inoperative. The radio operation is restored once the interior of the vehicle is cooled down.
The current weather conditions are Hail storms, and about 4 degrees.... so I think it isn't the temperature. The problem is allready occuring for about a week.

Someone said that it could be the antenna amplifier, could that be the problem?

thanks in advance
Old 03-21-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
The current weather conditions are Hail storms, and about 4 degrees.... so I think it isn't the temperature. The problem is allready occuring for about a week.

Someone said that it could be the antenna amplifier, could that be the problem?

thanks in advance
Hail ? So you still have the big window or back glass where the antenna grids are ? they're the same,AVT is the antenna amplifier.if you don't have aftermarket tint which contains small amounts of carbon or ceramic material which reduces the effectiveness of the antennas,install a new radio antenna tuner and program the radio antenna tuner.

Most of our vehicles use a diversity antenna system and may use more than one piece of glass and more than one receiver antenna for reception.

Check all connections at the antenna amplifier module, rear glass & radio. Make sure connections are tight, check the knurled nut antenna connection at the antenna amplifier and look for signs of damage or corrosion.

A poor body ground can cause a 'leak' into the antenna circuit. Check all relevant grounds including:

- Battery ground connection to body.
- Engine ground to body connection.
- Radio ground.
- Amplifier ground (if equipped).
- DSP ground (if equipped).
- Ground connections in the C pillar for rear glass and defrost circuit.

Check the mounting of the antenna amplifier module. This is typically case grounded so a loose mounting screw can cause reception problems.

If there is bad or no reception on either AM or FM make sure that the coaxial cable coming from the antenna amplifier module is not internally shorted. Disconnect both ends of the cable and check for continuity between the outer and the inner conductors of the cable. It should be an open circuit between the outer and inner conductor.

Check to make sure that power is supplied to the antenna amplifier module (white wire B+).

If the reception is affected ONLY with the defroster turned on the problem may be:

- The defrost trap circuits (small boxes located in the C pillar, wired to the rear window) may be defective and can be replaced.
- The mounting glue for the glass is forming a conductive path across multiple lines on the defroster grid.
-There is a break in the defroster grid.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:12 AM
BMW E65 745i

Thank you very much!!!! I'll try your tips in a couple of hours before driving home!!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to mcfalcons15 Send a message via MSN to mcfalcons15 Send a message via Yahoo to mcfalcons15
Mein Auto: 2004 Black on Black 745Li
Hey Tech...

Im new here, and sorry if someone already asked you this question, but is there any way to have the BMW logo on the screen while you are driving? I have only seen the logo on my screen one time for a split second when I turned the car on.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: F07 550i GT
Im still relatively new also, but I dont think so. If youdo see just that screen your in trouble. Try searching for NAV SCREEN or freezing, Idrive inoperable stuff like that.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:32 PM

Question

why would you want that function ?
Old 03-21-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfalcons15 View Post
Im new here, and sorry if someone already asked you this question, but is there any way to have the BMW logo on the screen while you are driving? I have only seen the logo on my screen one time for a split second when I turned the car on.
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmooth79 View Post
Im still relatively new also, but I dont think so. If youdo see just that screen your in trouble. Try searching for NAV SCREEN or freezing, Idrive inoperable stuff like that.
That's correct.When the BMW logo appears for longer periods of time,it means the MOST bus is possessed.It's not possible to have a "wallpaper" or "screen saver" as an alternative to turning off the Control Display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ze_745i View Post
why would you want that function ?
It's not a bad idea to have an alternative to turning off the control display.Perhaps thats what he wants but screen savers or wallpapers aren't in the horizon yet.Id rather see slideshows of Pam Anderson but that would "classify" me as a pig if there is a "chick" passenger.But then again,I don't give a hoot!
Old 03-21-2008, 08:35 PM
bmw addiction

Quote:
[I]It's not a bad idea to have an alternative to turning off the control display.Perhaps thats what he wants but screen savers or wallpapers aren't in the horizon yet.Id rather see slideshows of Pam Anderson but that would "classify" me as a pig if there is a "chick" passenger.But then again,I don't give a hoot!
thats why NA needs the TV Function lol

Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 03-22-2008, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much!!!! I'll try your tips in a couple of hours before driving home!!
You should look into this (from one of the threads) :

Quote:
Do you have any other problems with the sound output ? In saying that I meant, Does the CD Changer operates with sound output ? Does the NAV give you voice instructions ? Does it chime when the key is just on and not running ? Basically,are all your SOUND outputs inoperative ?
We need to determine what works and what doesn't.We can isolate possibilities and eliminate them one by one,thus the need for more information.If you can,borrow a MOST bus "jumper" from another car.This is located in the glovebox,looking in it's on the top panel with a "door".You cant miss it,that's the MOST bus connection for the OPS.(Pin 1 is incoming,2 is out) You can try to "reset" the MOST by turning the key on and disconnecting/reconnecting the jumper plug.The reason why I asked you to "borrow" or "buy" one of these ( 61 13 6 917 541) is so you can use it to bypass the module you suspect to be faulty.You will simply unplug the 2 Pin MOST bus connector from the module and plug in the jumper to see if MOST communications resume.In the left side of the trunk area,behind all the panels you would need to remove.There lies the LOGIC 7,TEL,NAV,and SVS (speech/voice command) modules.
The AVT (Antenna Tuner) is a possibility to your problem.The tuner is actually a control unit with a MOST port and is placed in the rear left C pillar. Due to the direct connection of the antenna diversity,no antenna amplifier is needed on the left-hand side.On the right hand side, there is an antenna amplifier which is linked via a coaxial cable to the diversity unit. The tuner provides the power supply to the antenna diversity and the antenna amplifier.
The ASK (in dash CD-Player) is the MOST network controller.This is the module responsible for PDC acoustics,check control warnings and gongs,and medium-range loudspeakers and tweeters are directly controlled by the ASK.

Brief audio failures

These failures are followed by a magazine check from the CD changer and the sound returns.
1. Stationary or On engine start
The cause is the CD changer or a poor state of charge of the battery.
2. As of terminal 15
The cause is the CD changer.

The stored radio station lists are lost here.
The cause is the antenna tuner.
These audio failures occur in the radio mode, do not occur in other audio sources, and
otherwise the communication systems work normally.
The cause is probably the antenna tuner.

Sustained noise from the loudspeakers

These noises only come from the front door loudspeakers or from the back shelf.
The ASK supplies the front door loudspeakers and the back shelf. Noises from these loudspeaker can also originate from other audio control modules (telephone, navigation system, etc.). Bridging (jumper) these audio control modules can pinpoint the fault.
These noises only come from the central loudspeaker at the front, from the woofers under the seats or from the rear door loudspeakers.
The cause is the amplifier (Top-Hi-fi).
These noises only occur in the radio mode, not with other audio sources.
The cause is the antenna tuner.
LOL,sunny_j you silly wabbit!
Old 03-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Regdisturbed ® User

Mein Auto: '04 E65
Paging Dr. BMW_Tech: Okay my liege, I have an annyonance that maybe you can help out with, as I haven't found any other threads that note this issue. BTW, thanks for all the advice you provide here.

Occasionally, the cd player (not changer) will chatter whenever I wake up (get in) the car; happens maybe 2 or 3 times a week. By chatter, I mean it sounds like a muted machine gun for about 3-4 seconds...like maybe it's trying to load the cd and the platter is rattling. Like I said, basically an annoyance and the only thing that I've noticed thereafter is that the cd player is then unavailable from the idrive (grayed-out). Usually, I can unload and reload the cd and it will then play. I've told my SA about it, but have never been able to replicate the problem while the car's at the shop. Any ideas/suggestions?
Old 03-22-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunco View Post
Paging BMW_Tech: Okay my liege, I have an annyonance that maybe you can help out with, as I haven't found any other threads that note this issue. BTW, thanks for all the advice you provide here.

Occasionally, the cd player (not changer) will chatter whenever I wake up (get in) the car; happens maybe 2 or 3 times a week. By chatter, I mean it sounds like a muted machine gun for about 3-4 seconds...like maybe it's trying to load the cd and the platter is rattling. Like I said, basically an annoyance and the only thing that I've noticed thereafter is that the cd player is then unavailable from the idrive (grayed-out). Usually, I can unload and reload the cd and it will then play. I've told my SA about it, but have never been able to replicate the problem while the car's at the shop. Any ideas/suggestions?
Was anything done ? Fault memory was checked ? Symptom you described clearly states a MOST bus reset that I (and YOURSELF) believe points to a faulty CDC.I think they basically blew you off perhaps because Authorization is required in order to replace the CDC.A PuMA case would need to be submitted therefore all test plans and faults must be dealt with by a technician trained to work on the vehicle.
Refer them to S.I.B. 61 15 02 MOST Bus Diagnosis. In it they would find diagnostic hints and procedures.Ask if you could see the result of the diagnosis/fault survey.

E65 Control Module that resets : Control Display Gateway
What happens to the audio? : Off Permanent
What you may see in the Control Display? : Completely dark, then restarts to BMW banner then “Accept” screen.

E65 Control Module that resets : Control Display
What happens to the audio? : Off Permanent
What you may see in the Control Display? : Completely dark, then restarts to BMW banner then “Accept” screen

E65 Control Module that resets : CD Changer
What happens to the audio? : Off Briefly
What you may see in the Control Display? : NAV portion of screen flickers/flashes then returns.
Other symptoms : CDC shuffles

E65 Control Module that resets : Logic7 Amp
What happens to the audio? : Off Briefly then returns with lower volume
What you may see in the Control Display? : NAV portion of screen flickers/flashes then returns

E65 Control Module that resets : Antenna Tuner
What you may see in the Control Display? : No change or NAV portion of screen flickers/flashes then returns

E65 Control Module that resets : Voice Activation
What you may see in the Control Display? : NAV portion of screen flickers/flashes then returns

E65 Control Module that resets : Navigation
What you may see in the Control Display? : NAV map portion of screen “Initializes” or NAV portion of screen flashes white/gray.

E65 Control Module that resets : Telephone

E65 Control Module that resets : Audio System Controller

E65 Control Module that resets : Instrument Cluster
Cluster completely dark
Old 03-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Beamerlover

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport
Need help from someone.
I have a 2000 540i sport and some of the electronics are going crazy. When I start the car, my factory stereo has no display and eventually comes back slowly..but will still go in and out during the ride...the time will come on and then the numbers follow and I lose total control of the radio where I can't use any functions including from the steering wheel. Also, I get in the car and I put on my seat belt and the display reads I don't have my seat belt on and I unbuckle and re-insert and the light goes out. Tonight I went for a drive and my fog light went on and off and the stereo again loses power
A little history of some things that may have caused this: last week, I got my oil changed and I plugged in my reset tool I had for my 2000 528i and I reset the oil service light. I also, before that plugged in the reset tool to see if it worked in the 540 and it displayed an error so I assume the reset tool is not the same for the 2 cars. On Tuesday, I left my parking lights on accidentally and when got to the car, I turned them off and started the car and it started right away. The problems started after I left the car lights on.
Anyone out their know what possibly happened? I would greatly appreciate any help.
Thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
good information bmw tech thank you
Old 03-22-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moesonex View Post
Need help from someone.
I have a 2000 540i sport and some of the electronics are going crazy. When I start the car, my factory stereo has no display and eventually comes back slowly..but will still go in and out during the ride...the time will come on and then the numbers follow and I lose total control of the radio where I can't use any functions including from the steering wheel. Also, I get in the car and I put on my seat belt and the display reads I don't have my seat belt on and I unbuckle and re-insert and the light goes out. Tonight I went for a drive and my fog light went on and off and the stereo again loses power
A little history of some things that may have caused this: last week, I got my oil changed and I plugged in my reset tool I had for my 2000 528i and I reset the oil service light. I also, before that plugged in the reset tool to see if it worked in the 540 and it displayed an error so I assume the reset tool is not the same for the 2 cars. On Tuesday, I left my parking lights on accidentally and when got to the car, I turned them off and started the car and it started right away. The problems started after I left the car lights on.
Anyone out their know what possibly happened? I would greatly appreciate any help.
Thanks
Ignition switch.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Regdisturbed ® User

Mein Auto: '04 E65
Thanks for the rough diagnosis BMW_T. No, they didn't do anything and I think you're right about them blowing me off. It wasn't a biggie as I wasn't too concerned about it at the time, but I'll take your advice for my next service appt. (diplomatically, of course). Muchos Gracias!
Old 03-22-2008, 11:52 PM
bmw addiction

BMW_tech is it possible to check if a V/O is legit and wont damage the car? what about if we install the new modified V/O and it fuc*s up some modules can we install the previous V/O thats already on the car?

Black Trim Painted White

Old 03-23-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
BMW_tech is it possible to check if a V/O is legit and wont damage the car? what about if we install the new modified V/O and it fuc*s up some modules can we install the previous V/O thats already on the car?
Just make sure you have your Vehicles Original VO .You cannot save the original VO.Put it this way,if the SSS failed to load the VO you can ask (via PuMA) for the original VO and just add all the retrofittings you had installed one at a time.It's not that it would damage the car but it could wipe out all the data of the vehicle.Continues operation of a module until it overheats or quits while being programmed is simply a failure of a module and not the SW.It's not going to accept a program it doesn't recognize and couldn't process.It may try for hours until its death or it may simply raise a failure to program and get skipped. You may open the files and send it to me but only the text,file names or type,and extensions.I'll take a look at it.