Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Psych-oh!

Send a message via AIM to wmndriver Send a message via Yahoo to wmndriver
Mein Auto: 07 e92 328XI
Rattle in center dash area

My husband has been dealing with a rattle in his e90 for several months. So far, he has had the driver's cupholder replaced, and had the SIB fix for the known dash rattle. Unfortunately, neither of these things has solved the problem.

The rattle is coming from the top right corner of the black trim area in which the radio and A/C controls reside - where it meets the wood trim and right side dash area.

Has anyone had this problem, and found a good solution? If he decides to shim the area himself, what can you recommend he use for a shim?

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement
Old 01-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Officially Welcomed

Mein Auto: 2006 e90 325i
Funny, I was just in the dealer a few days ago with a similar problem. My Passenger's headrest would do the same thing. They tightened a few things but at times I still have an intermittent sound. IDK what to suggest. Sorry.

Current Car: 2006 e90 325i | Monaco Blue | Beige Leather | Premium | Cold Weather | Steptronic | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access
Former Car(s): 2006 e90 325i - (47 days in service) RIP

"I don't have to drive like I am in a race car everyday, it's just knowing that I can!"
~Calliope (bimmerfest member) +1
Old 01-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Sedan
I too notice a rattle in the dash and am going to have it looked at when it goes in for service. I only notice it when I am stopped and the engine rumbles low at idle.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claresecl View Post
My husband has been dealing with a rattle in his e90 for several months. So far, he has had the driver's cupholder replaced, and had the SIB fix for the known dash rattle. Unfortunately, neither of these things has solved the problem.

The rattle is coming from the top right corner of the black trim area in which the radio and A/C controls reside - where it meets the wood trim and right side dash area.

Has anyone had this problem, and found a good solution? If he decides to shim the area himself, what can you recommend he use for a shim?

Thanks for the help.
The wood panels can be pried out and are mounted with a rubber type material, I guess you could remove the wood trim and inspect the area where there may be contact?
Old 01-17-2008, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi
check the dome light

I recently took my car to the dealer to have a rattle checked. After pulling the interior apart and having the car for 2 weeks. They found the sound to be coming from the rear dome light. I thought the sound was coming from the rear seatbelt. The sound has not returned. You guys might want to have the dome light checked...

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Psych-oh!

Update!

My husband took the car to a different dealer to see if they could figure out the cause. At first, they were unable to replicate the sound. However, he went in this morning, and took a tech for a ride with him. It turns out that the center dash piece is loose - the tech pushed on it, and said that he thinks there may be a clip missing or loose. They are going to keep the car for a few days, rip open the center dash, and hopefully get rid of the darned sound! I'll let you know if it works... I'm crossing my fingers that it does!

Old 01-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Good luck - rattles suck, particularly in a car that is so otherwise quiet.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: E90 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ushah View Post
They found the sound to be coming from the rear dome light. I thought the sound was coming from the rear seatbelt. The sound has not returned. You guys might want to have the dome light checked...
+1. I had a rattle that was driving me nuts. When my car ('07 328xi) had 4 people in it, each person pointed to a different spot in the car where they thought the rattle originated. Those in the front thought it was in the dash. As it turns out, I put my hand on the ceiling dome light and bingo...it stopped. When I take it for service I will have it permanently fixed, but until then, when it happens after going over some bumps, I push the dome light upward and its gone.

'07 328xi Sedan
Barrique Red Metallic | Beige Leather
Premium | Sirius | Cold Weather | Xenon | Comfort Access | BMW Assist

Retired: '01 325xi Sedan
Sienna Red Metallic | Beige Leather
Xenon | Premium | Heated Seats
Old 01-19-2008, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335XI
I have a rattle in the dash, it only happens when going over bumps or grooved pavement but it is pretty loud. Also a rattle in the back rear deck I think. Have not had time to take it to dealer. You would expect better on a brand new car. My 2004 530I had a bunch of rattles too. Hopefully they will fix them, otherwise love the car.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to conraddad
Mein Auto: 335 xi
Latest Update: After the tech pulled apart what sounds like the entire dash, he found several loose clips deep inside the dash, not near the center console as we all thought. He tightened everything up, and put some double sided tape around the console in case there was some rubbing there. So far, this morning on the rough road that always reproduced the noise, there WAS NO noise!!
Old 01-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by conraddad View Post
Latest Update: After the tech pulled apart what sounds like the entire dash, he found several loose clips deep inside the dash, not near the center console as we all thought. He tightened everything up, and put some double sided tape around the console in case there was some rubbing there. So far, this morning on the rough road that always reproduced the noise, there WAS NO noise!!
Awesome! 5 stars for that service department.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: x5 3.0si
Conraddad,

That is awesome service. I too have similar rattle issues and sounds like its from the dash. I am from the DC area. Which dealer do you do service with?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:45 AM
Psych-oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Conraddad,

That is awesome service. I too have similar rattle issues and sounds like its from the dash. I am from the DC area. Which dealer do you do service with?
He went to Northwest.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to conraddad
Mein Auto: 335 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Conraddad,

I went to Northwest on a whim, while driving home from Towson after the 3rd time they had the car and did absolutely nothing....So, now I am a lifelong Northwest fan...
Old 01-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Lymphoma Cancer Awareness

Mein Auto: '10 Bora
I had a rattle in the cruise control switch, took forever to figure it out but now it's gone and I am happy!!

There also was a popping in the steering and they claimed it was the "end stop" but one tech said I would find it hard to believe you would bring it in now for this. He took the steering column apart and put it back together nice and tight, popping gone LOL

I don't have to drive like I am in a race car everyday, It's just knowing that I can

"It's the Ulitimate Driving Machine, These things happen" - Officer after issuing a speeding ticket
Old 01-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 Roadster 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgeek View Post
I too notice a rattle in the dash and am going to have it looked at when it goes in for service. I only notice it when I am stopped and the engine rumbles low at idle.
Me too
Old 03-05-2008, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2007 328i
Rattle noise in dash as well

I have a 2007 and I also have a VERY annoying rattle. Sounds like it is coming from the driver dash. It seems to only happen in the morning.

I will try holding the dome light during tomorrows drive. Sound does get projected so who knows I could be way off.

I love my bmw, sports seats, sports suspension....beautiful driving machine...but...I wish it had some sort of dual suspension....the roads in san diego suck and every little bump feels like a 6 inch pothole, how could something at some point not come loose?

what do others think?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I had it when I bought my car and it annoyed the crap out of me.
I read on one of these forums that it can be caused by somthing that is in the HVAC vents under the seats. THe sound travels through the vents and sound like it is coming out of the dash.

One day the rattle went away. I realized that i had just throughly vacuumed the car with one of thos powerful coin op vacuum cleaners at a car wash.

I am not sure what to conclude from all of this but the rattle is gone.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians