Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Burtman

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i M
diesel 3.0

Does anyone know how much more to expect to pay for Diesel x5
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
6,400 Euros in Germany. But the twin-turbo Diesel has close to the same equipment as the 4.8i there, so you have to adjust for equipment. And BMW pricing in the USA often differs considerably from that in the Fatherland, as do equipment levels.

My guess is 3K more than a 3.0si, if similarly equipped. My own gut feeling is that Americans won't pay more than that. We won't know until much closer to the on-sale date.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 01-19-2008, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 320 tdi compact
I am guessing about 2K over the price of the similarly displaced gas engine, which is 3.0si. There is much more product cost having two turbos and a ton of emmissions controls, including exhaust, probably more than $2k, but they may decide to accept a lower percent margin to help introduce. they have to get this right and not over-shoot the price and fail on diesel. too much infrastructure invested with dealers, etc. Mercedes I believe did the same for both cars and SUV diesels, maybe $1-2k more than gas engine of similar displacement. If they go a tad more, hopefully they throw in more standard equip.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 E53 X5 3.0d euro
3.5 twin turbo engine diesel engine ? Gosh , That is a lot hp and torque !!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 07:07 AM

I wouldn't say that is much HP, but the torque is high. You have to compare much more than just HP though, to understand the value and performance equation. I still think most Americans will not pay more than $2000 more than the 3.0si gas engine.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 3er
With diesel hovering around 4 bucks a gallon, there won't be anyone paying said price increase.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:26 PM

I agree that any diesel premium looks bad when the diesel price of fuel offsets the economy gains. The diesel engine premium will have to be small. this also puts more emphasis on small BMW diesels, and that particular diesel market (rather than premium/upscale diesel market BMW is trying to create in US).

The US deparately needs to build more fuel refineries, and using the type that is seen in Europe (where they refine with different methods, produces more diesel fuel per barrel of oil, with less gas and jet fuel per barrel).