Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-19-2008, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: Soon a X3
sport pkg or no sport pkg

This site has been VERY helpful as I plan my X3 purchase. Here is the thing I can't decide on. Sport pkg or no Sport pkg. I guess the stiffer suspension thing bothers me a bit and I wonder if I would like it over time. Thoughts?

Also are the sport seats and the Comfort Seats basically the same seat, but the comfort has more adjustments? DO the Comfort seats have the slide out thigh support like the sport seat does?

I do like the body kit on the Sport but could live without it especially at 2200 extra for the sport pkg. I am sure some others went through this decision as well and I would love to hear all angles. Thanks so much I appreciate your time and responses.
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 X3 & E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc73 View Post
This site has been VERY helpful as I plan my X3 purchase. Here is the thing I can't decide on. Sport pkg or no Sport pkg. I guess the stiffer suspension thing bothers me a bit and I wonder if I would like it over time. Thoughts?

Also are the sport seats and the Comfort Seats basically the same seat, but the comfort has more adjustments? DO the Comfort seats have the slide out thigh support like the sport seat does?

I do like the body kit on the Sport but could live without it especially at 2200 extra for the sport pkg. I am sure some others went through this decision as well and I would love to hear all angles. Thanks so much I appreciate your time and responses.
There has been quite a bit of discussion on this topic in the past - if you do a search
you can find plenty of info on this topic.

Cheers,

BB
Old 01-20-2008, 06:47 AM
HMFIC

Mein Auto: 2002 ///M3
The sport seat and the comfort seat are not the same seat. Hopefully your dealer has one of each in stock for you to sit in. Entirely a personal preference. I ended up with the standard seats, which aren't bad. But on longer trips, like 5-6 hours, my legs do get fatigued.

As for the sport suspension, again only you can decide that one. Depends on the roads in your area and your tolerance/love for a stiffer ride. I have the standard suspension and find it pretty good. It does lean a bit when pushing it, but it's like a sportscar compared to other SUVs.

Good luck.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc73 View Post

I have the SP and will admit its a little harsh when you ride in the back seat and you can't get the heated steering wheel unless they have the option in the current models. If I had to do it again I would get the SP.Only you can decide, try them both. Good luck in what ever you get.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 01-20-2008, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0i & '08 X3.0si
Living in Wyoming, that heated steering wheel is the very best $150 option I'll ever see in my lifetime. My friend with an '05 Sport is soooooo jealous over that steering wheel It heats up even faster than the seats!
Old 01-20-2008, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry J. Harris View Post
Living in Wyoming, that heated steering wheel is the very best $150 option I'll ever see in my lifetime. My friend with an '05 Sport is soooooo jealous over that steering wheel It heats up even faster than the seats!
+1 I couldn't agree more.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 08 X3, Lexus 330
I don't know about the mid-west and how your roads are in the spring and summer, but our roads here in Colorado get pretty torn up because of the freezing, thawing and then re-freezing that goes on. Lot's of pot holes, cracks, etc in the spring. For that reason I'm going without the sport package so I can get a little softer ride.
Just something else to consider.

Keith S.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw x3
Dont know how is it in USA but in Europa we can choose sport pck without hard suspension. In odering list it is call "removing sport chassis" code is 225.
Hope this helps. Take a sport pck without hard suspension.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0i & '08 X3.0si
Good point Keith. That's one of the original reasons I went with non-sport on my '07. Another was that my friend with his '05 Sport felt the suspension on the '07 non-sport was not all that softer than his '05 (although admittedly softer) and he feels his '05 is just a little to stiff on these roads out our way. My love for the heated steering wheel was discovered after my purchase decision already had been made.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Go Phillies!

Mein Auto: 2014 X6 35i
SP...

It is all about personal preference...you will have to determine what you like.

However, based on my experience I chose the sport package for the following reasons:

1. The seats hug you. I always feel good and I have multiple low back herniations--I did not like the comfort seats.

2. The steering wheel- Although it is not heated it is very soft and larger than the norm. My other BMW has the heated steering wheel and this is better. In fact, a friend has the X5 with the heated wheel and prefers mine. Interestingly enough, because of the material...it doesn't hold the cold like the standard wheel.

3. The style of the X SP. It looks great. There is no X like mine where I live and I live in a BMW infested area. I receive compliments all the time.

4. It's like driving a sports car in a 'ute.

You have to decide, but I found it was worth the money.

Many Thanks:
X6 2011
335cxi M pkg 2008; 2009
335xi 2010
328xi 2007; 2004
X3 M pkg 2007; 2004
Old 02-06-2008, 12:52 AM
Rio The Racer

Send a message via AIM to riod007
Mein Auto: X3 3.0i & Z3 Toy & EX35
Sport 10000000%
Old 02-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Rio The Racer

if you like sports car handling get the sport pak and a dinan plus a set of good year eagle f 1 gs d3s and you will have something that will rape a mini in the bends
Old 02-06-2008, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: X3
I'd say if the roads suck around you don't get the sport suspension. Stick with the standard suspension with 17 inch wheels. For everyday driving standard suspension is more than enough. If you live in a place with very good roads the sport should be ok.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:23 PM
My wife's a CAR CHICK!

Mein Auto: 2006 Lotus Exige, 2008 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by riod007 View Post
if you like sports car handling get the sport pak and a dinan plus a set of good year eagle f 1 gs d3s and you will have something that will rape a mini in the bends
Dood, I have 2 MINI's and I can guarantee you there is no way in hell your Dinan X3 could keep up with my MINI in the bends.... Sorry...

That said, We ordered the sportpack, and will be swapping in 19" wheels and H&R lowering springs. Compared to our current selection of cars, I'm betting it will be plenty luxurious and smooth riding. It's all about what you have to reference it to. If you drive a 1995 Towncar, perhaps a sportpack X3 would be a bit 'stiff'.

Cheers,
Skottoman

06 Exige - 06 Cayman 'S' - 08 X3 MANUAL TRANS!(It's Here!)
Old 02-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Rio The Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skottoman View Post
Dood, I have 2 MINI's and I can guarantee you there is no way in hell your Dinan X3 could keep up with my MINI in the bends.... Sorry...

That said, We ordered the sportpack, and will be swapping in 19" wheels and H&R lowering springs. Compared to our current selection of cars, I'm betting it will be plenty luxurious and smooth riding. It's all about what you have to reference it to. If you drive a 1995 Towncar, perhaps a sportpack X3 would be a bit 'stiff'.

Cheers,
Skottoman
Well Skottoman i will agree with you about your mini's ... the fact that i'm referring to is a buddy of mine's bone stock cooper s with worn all season's and not a great driver behind the wheel ... and a have pased him in a few very tight bends but what do you have done to your coopers ?
Old 02-07-2008, 01:10 AM

Mein Auto: BMW-07 Z4 M Coupe/07 X3
Skottoman: I agree Cooper S even stock handles wel.

I had Cooper S and now have X3 although no sport pack I cant see how an X3, even with SP keeping up with Cooper S.

How would you compare the Exige to the Cayman?
I was thinking of an Elise and X3 daily driver or Cayman.

I ended up with Z4 M Coupe and X3 daily driver, but I want a Cayman one day or Elise and X3.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:29 AM
archrenov8

Mein Auto: '08 X3 since April '08
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by riod007 View Post
Well Skottoman i will agree with you about your mini's ... the fact that i'm referring to is a buddy of mine's bone stock cooper s with worn all season's and not a great driver behind the wheel ... and a have pased him in a few very tight bends but what do you have done to your coopers ?
Skottoman,

I am sure this has been covered before. The larger the wheel diameter for a given vehicle, the smaller the sidewall profile of the tire. Smaller profiles improve handling greatly, but they do it at the expense of comfort. But more important than comfort, is protecting your investment in great wheels. If you hit a curb, a nasty pothole, or get too close to a curb, you are not going to have enough rubber there to protect your wheel.

Talk to any dealer, and they will warn you about excessive wheel damage. I think they even have printed disclaimers now about low and extra low profile tires.

I am getting an X3 for two reasons, over a 328xi sportwagon. I need ground clearance because we have frequent flooding in our neighborhood, and I need to be able to mount curbs or other obstructions on jobsites (I am an architect). So the standard wheels and tire size are best for me.

I also like not having to worry about going around typical road hazards.

Glen
Old 02-07-2008, 11:06 AM
car chick

Mein Auto: '06 Cayman S, '05 MINI S
Quote:
Originally Posted by archrenov8 View Post
... But more important than comfort, is protecting your investment in great wheels. If you hit a curb, a nasty pothole, or get too close to a curb, you are not going to have enough rubber there to protect your wheel.

Talk to any dealer, and they will warn you about excessive wheel damage. I think they even have printed disclaimers now about low and extra low profile tires.

I am getting an X3 for two reasons, over a 328xi sportwagon. I need ground clearance because we have frequent flooding in our neighborhood, and I need to be able to mount curbs or other obstructions on jobsites (I am an architect). So the standard wheels and tire size are best for me...
We drive high-end sports cars... we don't hit curbs.
Even our 'low-end' MINIs have low-profile tires on aftermarket wheels (17s on both) - again, we don't hit curbs.

If a pothole bends a wheel, so be it - we buy a replacement. But "needing" taller tires in case you hit a curb is ridiculous. It is entirely possible to parallel park without curbing your wheels.

Driving on a construction site is a far different matter - and, I would think, not common to most people.
Ours: '08 X3

Last edited by hot_croc; 02-07-2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 02-07-2008, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i Xdrive
It comes down to ride preference. I love the stiff ride and improved handling. However, my 04 X3 handled really well.
1992 190e 2.6
2004 X3 (retired)
1999 C230 Kompressor w/ sport package (retired)
Old 02-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Get the sport, but make sure you'll like it first. Take a test drive around your usual roads, and determine whether they're smooth enough. The steering wheel and seats are definitely excellent.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 A4 Avant
It does depend on preference and where you are. I am in the North with lots of snow and terrible city roads. I already find the standard X3 excellent in handling with very controlled body lean. I also find even the standard X3 ride to be a little busy on a few certain surfaces, but love it overall. Make sure you take a sport pack equipped X3 on roads you know you hate to make sure at least a few times. If you like, then go sport 100%. I would go sport on a 3 sedan not an X3 or X5.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Think Solar

Mein Auto: 2008 X3; 2007 650i conv
Check out my recent post below...I had the unique opportunity to drive approx. 1200 miles in two different X3's that were identical except for the Sport Package (one with it, one without...)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Zeke77

I have the Sport Package and really like it, but my post may highlight some things to consider.

MY2008 X3 3.0si |Monaco Blue| Sand | Sport | Prem | NAV | Auto | Euro Delivery 9/21/07

2004 X5 4.4i (retired)
Old 02-15-2008, 02:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke77 View Post
Check out my recent post below...I had the unique opportunity to drive approx. 1200 miles in two different X3's that were identical except for the Sport Package (one with it, one without...)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Zeke77

I have the Sport Package and really like it, but my post may highlight some things to consider.
Zeke, thanks for your great write up and comments on the handling characteristics. Based on your comments and my experience with the standard suspension I chose the Sport Package this time. I'm very satisfied. It finally handles like the BMW I wanted in the first place and the seats are much more comfortable than I expected after having test driven a sport model for only 20 minutes. The steering is pretty accurate with more road feel and quicker turn-in. The steering wheel provides good control. I thought I was going to miss the Servotronic my trade-in had but so far not at all. So far the only negative for me is increased road noise but I'm not yet sure if that's a consequence of the sport suspension, tire pressure or something else.

Regardless, the difference between the two is night and day and I prefer the sport.