Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Rear Gate Washer Leak - Any information is great

Hello everyone. I am a new member here, but have browsed the forums for years. It's amazing how much BMW information gets passed around on these forums. It's quite stunning.

I dislike making my first post an issue, but it appears that the member base here is good at resolving random issues -- critical and non-critical. My issue is not so critical, but I strongly believe that I can resolve it myself given the nature. I'm technically and mechanically adept, so please any information is useful.

Basically when I active my rear washer on my '05 X3, a little bit of the washer fluid comes out of the nozzle, but a lot come spewing out of the plastic molding along the top of the glass on the inside. My first thought is of course a disconnected fluid tube. I could very easily reconnect, splice, or repair the tube running to the sprayer nozzle, but gaining access behind this (apparently removeable) plastic panel is the trick. I don't want to be too forceful in trying to make it pop off, or slide to one side, etc. Has anyone had this issue, or tried to remove this panel before? Does anyone think that perhaps removing or gaining access behind the rear spoiler would be more advantageous? Again, any information or experience would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Lee
Ads by Google
Old 01-22-2008, 10:04 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
Are you ove 50K miles? If not why don't you take it to a dealer and get it fixed on warranty?
Old 01-22-2008, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Oh, you're going to love this... 50,254 miles...

On a much brighter note, I got adventurous and resolved the problem about 15 minutes ago! I decided to get a mirror and see what type of clips were holding this piece on, and it appeared to be simple pressure clips. Sure enough, there are about 5 evenly spaced clips along this plastic piece along the top. I evenly pryed them with a screw drive and a cloth (as not to damage the plastic) and it popped off. It's not very easy to remove by the way. Right there in the middle was a small rubber hose with a male coupling and another hose with a female coupling that were totally disconnected. The two sort of snap together. I coupled them back together and tested for leaks with about 12 squirts. All is well now! It has been below freezing here in Atlanta for a few days, and I might have tried to use it over this period. The spray nozzle could have had frozed fluid (although it's freeze-proof stuff that the dealership uses, so I hear) in the nozzle and the pressure caused the male/female coupling to break free from each other. Either that or it was just it's time to come part after 51K worth of vibrations (yep, sport package... I think BMW used the Panzer tank as the concept car.) I won't complain though, I still enjoy it very much. I'm sure the dealer would have charged me $400 or so to diagnose/fix this small, simple issue. It is pleasant to know that perhaps this thread will help someone else resolve the same issue with about 15 minutes of work.

Last edited by protocolx2; 01-22-2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Spelling... Ughh
Old 01-23-2008, 04:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Good info! Thanks for posting.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:25 AM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
Thanks for the info.

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Old 01-23-2008, 06:48 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by protocolx2 View Post
(yep, sport package... I think BMW used the Panzer tank as the concept car.)

Glad you got it fixed! Thanks for the info on getting the panel off too!
Old 02-22-2013, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 5
The panel you took off--Is that in the indide of the rear trunk of the wgon door, or the one outside on the top where the rear glaqss meets the top of the car close to the nozzle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocolx2 View Post
Oh, you're going to love this... 50,254 miles...

On a much brighter note, I got adventurous and resolved the problem about 15 minutes ago! I decided to get a mirror and see what type of clips were holding this piece on, and it appeared to be simple pressure clips. Sure enough, there are about 5 evenly spaced clips along this plastic piece along the top. I evenly pryed them with a screw drive and a cloth (as not to damage the plastic) and it popped off. It's not very easy to remove by the way. Right there in the middle was a small rubber hose with a male coupling and another hose with a female coupling that were totally disconnected. The two sort of snap together. I coupled them back together and tested for leaks with about 12 squirts. All is well now! It has been below freezing here in Atlanta for a few days, and I might have tried to use it over this period. The spray nozzle could have had frozed fluid (although it's freeze-proof stuff that the dealership uses, so I hear) in the nozzle and the pressure caused the male/female coupling to break free from each other. Either that or it was just it's time to come part after 51K worth of vibrations (yep, sport package... I think BMW used the Panzer tank as the concept car.) I won't complain though, I still enjoy it very much. I'm sure the dealer would have charged me $400 or so to diagnose/fix this small, simple issue. It is pleasant to know that perhaps this thread will help someone else resolve the same issue with about 15 minutes of work.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3.0si
I would think they are talking about this one. ( not the best picture,sorry)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ONEc030.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	363426