Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 01-25-2008, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: 318 beemer
Arrow 316 timing belt or chain......

Hi guys and gals! first I need to apoligise, I've not been on the forum for nearly 2 years now!
It's been a while lol!

My beemer has gave me faithfull service right up to now! It's sitting at 159k miles and it's never faltered and has had it's services done at the recomended intervals by myself.

The car died on me yesterday and I have a feeling the the timing belt has snapped, I know most have chains but some of the early beemers still had belts as mine is a 91 model it's just on the crossover from the e30 model from what I believe.
My friend has a 92 model 316 and his engine is different from mine!.

I'm gonna take the cover off tomorrow and find out exactly what I have in there wether it's a chain or a belt.
I've a feeling it's broken anyway.
The car was booked in for the 31st of this month to get it replaced as I get paid then but it looks like too little too late! (Typical) I couldn't be bothered to do it myself as my garge is full of other projects just now! Got no room!

What sort of damage should I expect if this is the case? I know to expect the valves to be knackered, Is this likely to happen? I know some engines such as fiat engines can snap a belt and the valves don't get touched at all!

Go on! Give me some good news at least? If not then the bad will have to do lol!

Here's my car btw! It's too good to scrap! I love it!

thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2008, 04:24 AM

Nobody answering????
Old 01-26-2008, 05:46 AM
John Firestone

Mein Auto: 1996 318is
The M40 is an interference engine with a timing belt you don't want to change late. Based on just your post, I can still hope it hasn't broken!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:39 PM

Well I had the cover off today and discovered that the belt was indeed fine but it was the tensioner that seemed to be knackered! I turned the bottom pulley to see if it would turn the cam but it never, I'm putting it into a garage and let them fix it as the bottom pulley just doesn't want to come off making my chances of fixing the car difficult! I';ve just not got the patience!!!!
Here's my engine (Or whats left of it lol!

I can only live in hope that the valves rested in their highest position when the belt came loose and that they're not damaged!
Old 01-27-2008, 02:03 PM

Well!!! Decided I'm not going to spend another penny on this car, It's served me well over the last 2 years with no problems, I'm sorry to see it go to the scrap yard in the sky. But life goes on and I treated myself to this today!

My old car.....

My new car.....

325 tds with 122k on the clock! bought for much cheapness!
Will get better pics up soon folks!