Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 04-11-2003, 10:57 PM
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy

Mein Auto: 2003 Audi A4 3.0
Car battery problem, need help!

Hi all,
My 98 Mazda Millenia is having starting problems. I'll explain in detail:

On the turn of the key, the car takes quite a few cranks to get going.. it's a slow cranking at first, then gets faster and finally it starts. I had one occasion so far where it didn't start but I waited for 20 minutes and it worked. Weird time that was.

When the car is running, everything is fine, nothing is dimming out etc. This leads me to BELIEVE that the alternator is okay and that the battery is the culprit. I'm not sure on this and you can tell me otherwise of course.

I have an aftermarket stereo that takes 1000 watts worth of amp juice from the car. Now I'm thinking after having the car for 5 years, that the battery is finally gone... I need to renew it.

Which battery should I buy? I need a heavy-duty, or high-output one so that my car's amps don't give the car's STARTER any headaches. I was thinking of running to Sears (I'm in Jersey so if that helps narrow the battery choices..) and talking to them to buy a heavy-duty one.

Any recommendations here? Are some batteries much better than other batteries? And could the problem be the alternator, even though I everything runs fine while it's on?

I appreciate any SWIFT information you can give me, because the battery has to be replaced as soon as possible. If I get a few replies I'm going to head out tomorrow and pick one up and put it in.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-12-2003, 05:18 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
It doesn't sound like the battery. The battery would start slow and get slower in cranking.

Starting slow, then speeding up sounds like a starter problem.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 04-12-2003, 05:24 PM
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy

Mein Auto: 2003 Audi A4 3.0
Fixed my problem... I used my mom's car and tested to make sure it was the battery and not anything else; at which point I went out and bought a heavy duty Die Hard battery from Sears for 75 bucks that pushes out twice the CCA that my original one did

Yay, no more headaches!