Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: x5
2007 X5 -- Should I Sell or Keep

Needless to say while I'm writting this, I'm very frustrated with my X5...own a 2007 X5 3.0 12mth old, 13K miles... have had several electronic service issues, such as check engine light frequently caming on etc ... I drove the car to the store this morning and all was fine...returned home and parked in the drive-way to wash out the brake dusk since it's so nice out today...I unfortunately parked behind the garrage door to our second car... couple hours ago my wife, our 2 kids and I get in the car to head out, the car will not move .... idrive monitor states the "parking brake malfunction" tried turning the car off and back on several times with no success....called BMW, they have no dealers open to address my concerns....they suggested sending some truck by to get the car picked up from my drive-way and will get it to BMW on Monday... it's 2 hrs later no one has called or showed up....as I said earlier, I park behind our only other car and we're stuck at home for the who know how long, not to mention getting to to work and the kids to school starting Monday ... what a major inconvenience from a $58K car
Ads by Google
Old 04-12-2008, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Needless to say while I'm writting this, I'm very frustrated with my X5...own a 2007 X5 3.0 12mth old, 13K miles... have had several electronic service issues, such as check engine light frequently caming on etc ... I drove the car to the store this morning and all was fine...returned home and parked in the drive-way to wash out the brake dusk since it's so nice out today...I unfortunately parked behind the garrage door to our second car... couple hours ago my wife, our 2 kids and I get in the car to head out, the car will not move .... idrive monitor states the "parking brake malfunction" tried turning the car off and back on several times with no success....called BMW, they have no dealers open to address my concerns....they suggested sending some truck by to get the car picked up from my drive-way and will get it to BMW on Monday... it's 2 hrs later no one has called or showed up....as I said earlier, I park behind our only other car and we're stuck at home for the who know how long, not to mention getting to to work and the kids to school starting Monday ... what a major inconvenience from a $58K car
Old 04-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
Don't let your very understandable frustration override common sense. This kind of thing can happen with any modern car. If it were common in X5's, they would never sell any and Consumer Reports would not put the 3.0 on its list of SUV's reliable enough to be "recommended," as it has recently done. The loss in value you would experience in trading or even selling so soon would be very high. Let BMW fix this, and hope that it doesn't happen again. This really is a fine car. Instead of leaving so much money on the table in a premature sale or trade, buy the extended warranty.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 320 tdi compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcharnet View Post
Don't let your very understandable frustration override common sense. This kind of thing can happen with any modern car. If it were common in X5's, they would never sell any and Consumer Reports would not put the 3.0 on its list of SUV's reliable enough to be "recommended," as it has recently done. The loss in value you would experience in trading or even selling so soon would be very high. Let BMW fix this, and hope that it doesn't happen again. This really is a fine car. Instead of leaving so much money on the table in a premature sale or trade, buy the extended warranty.
good point, an extended warranty would cost far less than the depreciation hit taken on ridding the car, plus the taxes and commission/margin paid on the new car. Transacting any car cost money, coming and going...
Old 04-13-2008, 01:12 AM

Mein Auto: x5 4.8
parking brake has manual release. very easy to use. mine stuck three times. ask dealer to show you how to use release. it is in the rear compartment on the left side behind a removeable panel. there is a tool where your spare tire would go that you use to pull the manual release.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 x5 4.8
i have a 2008 x5 4.8 . never have this problem, but from what i understand there is software FIXED for the parking brake malfuncation from BMW in march to issue this problem.
let the dealership updated the software, it should fix your problem. It will take a few hours to updated the software on the X5
I hope this help!
Old 04-13-2008, 05:41 AM
Expert on nothing

Mein Auto: 2011 E70
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb488641 View Post
i have a 2008 x5 4.8 . never have this problem, but from what i understand there is software FIXED for the parking brake malfuncation from BMW in march to issue this problem.
let the dealership updated the software, it should fix your problem. It will take a few hours to updated the software on the X5
I hope this help!
There was reportedly going to be a firmware fix for this problem in March 2008. However, nobody has confirmed yet on this board that they have actually received that fix at the dealer.
2005 X5 (retired)
2004 325xi (retired)

Old 04-14-2008, 01:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 x5 4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin72 View Post
There was reportedly going to be a firmware fix for this problem in March 2008. However, nobody has confirmed yet on this board that they have actually received that fix at the dealer.
Let me check with my dealer, because I took delivery in march, and never have any problem with the parking brake. I use it everyday, all the time when I park or just idle on the driveway. I use it before i shut off my car, after i shut my car, use it on and off repeatly then shut the car off and on. Never have any issue in any temp. It was 0'F back in march, 70'F now. So I may already have the new software, I asked my dealer next time i am in the area. I 'll updated post when i find out something.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 x-5
I have a 4 month old X5 3.0 with 4000 miles on it and it just left me stranded with a parking break malfunction for the second time in a week!! They "updated" the software last time.......obviously it didnt work!! Its crazy that a simple parking break renders the car unmovable!! Both times it happened, it left me stranded in a parking lot at 10 at night waiting on a tow truck. BMW assist said there is no way to release the break and it had to be towed. It seems they sacrifice reliability for a bunch of fancy electronics that dont work right. I have never had any issues with various volvos, lexuses, porsches, etc.....
Old 04-18-2008, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: x5 4.8
parking brake

My 07 had the same issue. I thought that the new software update corrected that ! You can definetely manually release the brake. There is a tool in the trunk and a compartment on the left side of the trunk. Remove the compartment...take the tool out of trunk...and pull the release....it takes two seconds to do. have the dealer show you
Old 04-19-2008, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
Given this, one wonders how important it is to use the handbrake when the car is in Park. Any thoughts?
Old 04-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Among the Proud

Mein Auto: X5 3.0si
Everyone needs to know the workaround until they do get the firmware that fixes this. ONLY engage the parking brake when the engine is shut off. It will still engage then. This will not cause any malfunction, from a technical perspective.

-> more pics at Flickr <-
Old 04-27-2008, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: X5
I also had the parking brake lock up now for the third time. It's an issue that is potentially very dangerous and could be life threatening. Getting stranded in the wrong place, with no way to get your car going, can be very bad indeed, especially in such a nice car and if you're a woman by yourself. This just happened to my girlfriend, driving my car over the weekend, and now she's nervous about taking it out again. I'll try not applying the parking brake until the engine is off, hopefully that will fix it for now. Of course I still have to take it to the dealer so that they can repair it.

Another real rub is the stupidity of the "SOS" system that calls for emergency support through the car. They are absolutely useless and actually give you wrong information. They told me there was no manual way to reset it and that towing was the only option. This after we come out of the grocery store with $250 in groceries and our dog in the back. Yeah, I'm going to wait around hours for a tow truck. I looked in the manual and lo and behold, there is a manual release as described in a previous post above. Had I followed their advice we would have been waiting hours for a flatbed towtruck, had to get towed 15 miles away, when it wasn't even necessary. Their solution to every problem is to tow the car to the dealer (and if it's after biz hours no dealer can help you anyway). WTF is that ? Get support people that know the car - come on, BMW!!!!

Last edited by tk421; 04-27-2008 at 09:17 PM.