Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-31-2014, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
Please Help - My Car wont start / Crank

Hi Guys.. I tried starting my 06 525i today. When I switched the key to the On position.. all the lights on the instrument cluster came on.. But when i pressed the brakes and tried to start it, it woudn't crank. I pushed the vehicle to a side and hooked it up to a battery tender for about 15 minutes. I then tried starting the car after removing the battery tender. But now surprisingly, even the dash lights went off. The doors also dont lock with the remote.

Please help me out. I thought it was the battery, but it now looks like some fuse has gone.

Has anyone of you had this issue before.

One more thing I noticed when I tried to start it first. The instrument cluster lights flickered and also the headlights blinked while I attempted to start it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by sandeep_1983; 03-31-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Add more information
Ads by Google
Old 03-31-2014, 01:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M Sport
If it was a battery tender it won't do a thing in 15 minutes -- you need closer to 15 hours. Sounds like your battery is completey dead and you drained what little juice was left when you tried to crank the engine.
Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCIs, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 LED angel eyes
Old 03-31-2014, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Take the battery out go to auto zone have them charge it , then test it . Then go from there.. If it bad get a new one throw it in there and you should be fine after that.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJtoad View Post
If it was a battery tender it won't do a thing in 15 minutes -- you need closer to 15 hours. Sounds like your battery is completey dead and you drained what little juice was left when you tried to crank the engine.
Do you suggest I remove the battery and charger it indoors. I have connected the positive to the + red terminal under the hood and the negative to one of the strut bolts. Is this set up fine?

Thanks
Old 03-31-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_1983 View Post
Do you suggest I remove the battery and charger it indoors. I have connected the positive to the + red terminal under the hood and the negative to one of the strut bolts. Is this set up fine?

Thanks
I would do what H F said -- remove the battery, take it to your local auto parts store (Autozone, Advance Auto, etc.) to have it tested for free, and replaced iif necessary. You probably have a 90 Amp-Hour battery. A 10 Amp battery charger will probably take 8-9 hours to charge it fully and a battery tender (especially a multi-stage one) will easily take twice as long. If it's completely dead as you say, you probably have a bad cell and the battery won't hold a charge anyway.
Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCIs, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 LED angel eyes
Old 03-31-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I would do what H F said -- remove the battery, take it to your local auto parts store (Autozone, Advance Auto, etc.) to have it tested for free, and replaced iif necessary. You probably have a 90 Amp-Hour battery. A 10 Amp battery charger will probably take 8-9 hours to charge it fully and a battery tender (especially a multi-stage one) will easily take twice as long. If it's completely dead as you say, you probably have a bad cell and the battery won't hold a charge anyway.
Just had it checked and its at 10.3V. he said it cannot be tested until its atleast 12V. Does the car turn completely dead when the battery goes below 12V?
Old 03-31-2014, 03:19 PM

A sudden unexplained drop in voltage to around 10V usually indicates that the battery developed a bad cell. Time to replace it. How old was the battery?
Old 03-31-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
A sudden unexplained drop in voltage to around 10V usually indicates that the battery developed a bad cell. Time to replace it. How old was the battery?
I just bought the car. I did not see any battery replacement in the car fax report. Its an original BMW black color battery.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:34 PM

If the battery is < 10v, is this power not enough to start anything in the car. Not even the door lock / light, etc??
Old 03-31-2014, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: A Car
If its reading under 10v then just change it.
At minimum the battery voltage reading should be 11.8v if im not mistaken but even at 11.8v its a sign that the battery will die soon.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Just had it checked and its at 10.3V. he said it cannot be tested until its atleast 12V. Does the car turn completely dead when the battery goes below 12V?
It will not be completely dead below 12 volts, just not enough power to turn the starter. Even at 11.3 you can still jump it and start the car. But as UltimateDriving stated,, anything below 11.8 battery is on its way out.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
It will not be completely dead below 12 volts, just not enough power to turn the starter. Even at 11.3 you can still jump it and start the car. But as UltimateDriving stated,, anything below 11.8 battery is on its way out.
So my car battery reads 10.3V and its completely dead. Not a single light. Is it safe to assume that its the battery thats bad and nothing else?
I just wanna make sure before I buy a new one. Thanks..
Old 03-31-2014, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530
If it reads 10v its toast.

Why its toast can be internal failure, or external effects. If its original, its waaaaay past its lifetime, so likely internal failure.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 04-01-2014, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: Volvo 245
Quote:
So my car battery reads 10.3V and its completely dead. Not a single light. Is it safe to assume that its the battery thats bad and nothing else?
Dear Sandeep,

I am sorry about your bad luck on the battery. Modern cars - and by that I mean electronic fuel injection - are quite sensitive to battery health and voltage in general. A small bit of corrosion on a fuel injector can cause all sorts of errors and codes. This is even true on my 20 year old car that has actually been incredibly robust on the electrics side. The more bells and whistles and modules - and BMW has a lot of them - the heavier the demand on the battery.

Most batteries on cars new don't last beyond four years, and life on replacements not much more. If your car is 8 years old, it is likely this is the second battery, and it was towards the end of it's life. If it's the original battery, it is beyond normal life and a catastrophic failure is likely and not a surprise. Is it possible soemthinhg else drained it? Yes, but you can't know until you follow the good advice given here.

I am sorry about your bad luck, since you just bought the car; if you bought it from a dealer I think you should have some remedy. Most reputable dealerships will back their cars for 30 days. If it IS something bigger, and you bought it from a dealer, you definitely want to pursue this, and not waste time on a small trickle charger.

Best of luck.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
The battery is toast . So a new battery is the first step. Once you get that in have the alternator checked to further check the charging system and to rule out the alternator being the cause of the dead battery. Also a fully charged battery is necessary to correctly check the alternator. Because if the battery is defective it can give a false alternator failure, this actually happened to me once. Had a bad battery 11.3 then I jumped it and started fine. Checked the alternator and it failed the test. After installing a new battery the alternator checked out ok after a second and third test ..

Last edited by H F; 04-01-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:23 PM

Finally Back from the Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
The battery is toast . So a new battery is the first step. Once you get that in have the alternator checked to further check the charging system and to rule out the alternator being the cause of the dead battery. Also a fully charged battery is necessary to correctly check the alternator. Because if the battery is defective it can give a false alternator failure, this actually happened to me once. Had a bad battery 11.3 then I jumped it and started fine. Checked the alternator and it failed the test. After installing a new battery the alternator checked out ok after a second and third test ..
Guys... I have an update..

I had left the battery on my tiny 1.25amp charger for almost 44 hours. I checked the voltage and it showed about 12.5V. I took to a nearby Napa and had him test it. In his test he said that the CCA is rated at 850amps and my battery is giving a reading of 914amps. He said the battery is good to be used.

I re-installed the battery into the car and it came back to life. That was a big relief. I wanted to know what caused the drain. I checked the voltage with the engine ON. The reading showed 13.98 to 14.01. Is this enough according to you guys. Is the alternator doing fine? The battery now reads about 12.4V with the engine off.

One more thing I wanted to know was how can I determine the age of the battery. There was no date stamp anywhere. I checked the -ve terminal too. But there is nothing. I found a sticker with "K3" printed on it. This was on the right side of the battery. Is there anyway to find out the age of the battery?

Thanks