Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 08-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 12 X5 35i SA + various
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromma View Post
It would be great to know where things were moved to, especially in view of this:

"...BUT BMW STATE THERE IS NO SIMILAR MOVE POSSIBLE FOR THE WAGON"

See:

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2008/.../10376518.aspx

Thanks!
Well, BMW didn't say that. But it is true to say that no TSB for relocation exists for the wagon.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 09 535xiT
I had a little spare time today, so here's what I did. I re-routed all the electronics from the spare to the left sidewall. It took about 20 minutes and all was good. I was a little concerned that every time I had an issue with the car I'd have to put 'em all back before going to the dealer, but I was willing to do that. Then I went on a quick ride to make sure all was well. The only glitch: somehow some interference had deleted all my 6 preset buttons! I never unplugged anything during the routing, so it must be interference. Rather than muck around any more I put it all back and reprogrammed the buttons. No idea why this would happen, but I'm not going to invite trouble. I'll just be careful not to spill anything and to check/blow out the drains on occasion. Still, a bummer BMW can't do this to the wagon.
98 Jeep Wrangler
11 Honda Odyssey
Old 08-19-2011, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi - 2008
I experienced a similar situation with my 2008 528xi (presents being deleted) atleast two or three times. On all the occasions, I didn't do anything - didn't even pop the trunk or the hood. Have no idea why or how it happened. My 528xi is only 45 days old. Will have to monitor what exactly Iam doing to initiate that action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbal View Post
I had a little spare time today, so here's what I did. I re-routed all the electronics from the spare to the left sidewall. It took about 20 minutes and all was good. I was a little concerned that every time I had an issue with the car I'd have to put 'em all back before going to the dealer, but I was willing to do that. Then I went on a quick ride to make sure all was well. The only glitch: somehow some interference had deleted all my 6 preset buttons! I never unplugged anything during the routing, so it must be interference. Rather than muck around any more I put it all back and reprogrammed the buttons. No idea why this would happen, but I'm not going to invite trouble. I'll just be careful not to spill anything and to check/blow out the drains on occasion. Still, a bummer BMW can't do this to the wagon.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:03 PM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlou View Post
When I looked it was already done except for the small white box.
I have not moved anything myself, and I think it either came that way or the dealer did it.
Hmmm. I wonder why they left the RDC (white box) as is. It is supposed to go to the left side of the trunk forward of the relocated MULF2.

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 08-20-2011, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 - 528i
I'm unable to access the SIBs via the links. Would someone please post them. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:37 PM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
There's a lot of SIBs quoted and attached here.... are you talking about this?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=216

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 08-21-2011, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the new link!! I was getting the infamous 404 error when using the links you posted some time ago.

I just ordered some of the water detection units off Amazon. One is destined for the trunk of our "new" 2008 528i.

I'm now in search of a DIY for checking and clearing the drains. One post said the front drains are visibile with the sunroof open. I don't see them so I must not be looking in the correct area or know what I should see.

Anyone with photos and/or a DIY would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 650i
I had the same water issue in my 2007 550 sedan. I have not relocated the unit as of yet as I was focused on getting my TPM working again. I purchased the unit on line and plugged it in my self. So far everything works for $64. The BMW Stealership wanted $595 to program it to the car. I plugged it in and reset the monitor from IDrive in less than 10 minutes.
Silver / Gray
Old 09-19-2011, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 525DAT
Hello all,

New here and found the site while searching for this very problem..
Gotta say there is a lot of great information here that I will check out in the morning as I have just started experiencing a few electrical error messages due to flooding.

My E61 is a 2008 525 DAT and I first noticed the smell that made me check out the trunk. Found water in both side compartments and a little in the spare tire wheel well. So I will check the valves tomorrow.

But one thing I was wondering about was that no one had mentioned how the water actually gets to the spare tire area? To me it appears that the water first fills up the square plastic "buckets" inside the side compartments and then spill over into the spare tire area as you drive. Agree ?
If that is the case, it seems obvious to me to do a safety mod to protect the electronics by simply drilling a hole in the plastic to get the water down in the area out in the corners below the taillights - and then put a drain at the bottom there ?

It is unreal how bad the seal leaks on a closed roof. I dried up all the water yesterday and after real hard rain over night, the passenger side compartment was filled nearly to the rim this morning..!

Anyways, thanks for all the great info!

Ken
Norway
Old 09-19-2011, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 12 X5 35i SA + various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_E61 View Post
But one thing I was wondering about was that no one had mentioned how the water actually gets to the spare tire area?
It is capillary action, it follows the headlining, then the wiring harness.

Brilliant design, NOT.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nube1kenobi View Post
All E60...
Would I be able to present these documents to a BMW dealer in Canada to get my roof leak issue looked at and possibly resolved through BMW provided that they take care of the costs involved? I am out of warranty but I am willing to present my case as the car recently came off lease and I am the second buyer....

I sense some wind noise when the roof is fully closed and there is also wetness in the rear passenger carpet area---noticed the latter problem yesterday after a car wash....

Appreciate everyones' posts! VERY HELPFUL!

E60 is a great car, just wish they would have done some more R&D into the finder details of the car!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 535D
Checked the rear drains on my 05 535D E61 and everything was fine
Old 10-25-2011, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 08 535xi
Thumbs down

I took mine through the car wash where I normally go and it was fine this time. I DO NOT advise anyone to take their cars to the new Petro Canada Glide car wash. Those water jets are so strong that they will blow your doors off...and cause water leakage through the roof area-happened to my car!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: corvette/528xi
A couple of things:

I bought a small (9v) battery powered water monitor ($11) for a sometimes wet spot in my basement. I think some mentioned here that it would be good in the trunk. It requires no wiring or car power and makes a loud noise. Has anyone tried this?

Also I noted that the spare tire is sandwiched between two foam pieces. the lower one often houses the electronics. Without too much effort I think you could easily move the electronics to the upper one, thus buying a few extra critical inches out of water.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: e39 530i 5SP/e60 530i
So does this normally happen with the sunroof open under trees? Would it be fine if the drains are not clogged and car is normally not under one?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:48 PM

Many cars have drain tubes.
They are to eliminate water from a/c units, front cowling areas, sunroofs, and other areas as needed.

The problem is that if you just use a tube, you will eventually get bugs building nests and clogging up the tube, and air intrusion. So to avoid these issues some form of blocking is used, often it is a soft rubber (tube) bulb end that is slit. It allows water out albeit slowly and keeps out undesirables.

BUT these are also subject to clogging with ambient particles such as twigs, leaf parts, dirt of all types and other stuff. NOW the closed end works against you and promotes clogs. IF your car were in a plastic bag it will be clean forever, so you never know what you will pick up.

To avoid problems you must monitor these tubes.

On my Corvette, I monitor the cowling tubes. I often find sticks etc in there. If they clog, the cowling floods and burns out the wiper motor. I dont think BMW has that issue, but the sunroof and A/C are definitely of concern.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:58 PM

They are a pain to get to from what I heard esp. the ones in the back..?
Old 10-26-2011, 03:17 PM

someone seriously try pooring some drano down there
Old 10-26-2011, 08:18 PM

For all of those that had the problem...did you actually park you car under a tree? What if your drains are free flowing and you keep the roof clean from things entering?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 530xi Sport Wagon
Any updates on fixes and/or the issues? I am buying an '06 and want to be sure I am on-top of things from day one.. The PO parked the car in a garage and I will not be.

Thanks
Old 02-29-2012, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 E61
Wow. New 08 535xi wagon owner and this had me worried. I drive a land cruiser for the dirt aspect and it seems sunroof drains can affect a lot of manufacturers, just Toyota didn't put the electronics at the lowest point of the car.

I dug throughout the cargo area and could not find any water residue or ill effects. The silver box mounted horizontally on the left side had some rust on it but nothing crazy. What is this box, it has two connectors, one looks to be an optical cable.

Monitoring the drains for the wagon is the only option I have for the wagon, correct?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:05 AM

I have a wagon too and put a battery operated (9volt) water detector in there, just incase. I might also put a drain inthe base too just incase x2

No evidence of water in the well but the PO parked in a garage most nights.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 AM

The 9v water detector is the way to go. Search eBay. I found them for about $10
Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 AM

Yep.. $10 at Harbor Freight. I got the one with the sensor on a 3ft wire.. The sensor is in the well (size of a quarter) and the alarm is just under the storage area. I can change the battery without removing all the spare bits/tools/tire.

I also put a piece of duct tape of the siren..It is VERY loud and this helps bring the sound level down when in a closed car. If it goes off, you will know it goes off if you are near the car.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:12 AM

here's what I know:

The electronics are NOT in the lowest part of the car.

In reality, they are nested in a large piece of foam.
I never could understand how it could fill up so much to do damage then I realized that each component is in its own "well". It only takes a few drops of spilled water etc. to fill this void and burn out something.

SO if you havnt yet moved things, around, it wouldnt hurt to put a substantial hole in the foam under each component.You should remove the foam and ream it on a wood block.