Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:45 AM
Think Solar

Mein Auto: 2008 X3; 2007 650i conv
Interesting Euro Delivery story for those considering X3 Sports Package

So, I've been meaning to post this for awhile, just haven't gotten around to it until now...

Back in September, I completed my second BMW Euro Delivery in Munich (pre-Welt.) The first one was for my 650i in 2006, which went without a hitch. For my X3 delivery, however, I arrived in Munich to find that the car waiting for me had a different color interior than I had ordered, and the Sports Package had not been installed.

Well, after a few "oh 5h!t!" moments, we (BMW, my dealer back in the States, and I) realized that this was, in fact, a rare BMW multi-mistake. (Actually, this realization process is another story in itself, but I've left out the back-and-forth for brevity.) Ultimately, BMW promised to build a new X3 to my original order specs and ship it at a later date. However, since my original itinerary included extensive road travel through Germany, Switzerland (including the Alps,) and France, they let me drive the "wrong" car for the duration of my trip. Even though I would have preferred the car I ordered, I was pretty happy with the solution.

As noted, I had originally ordered the Sports Package and the X3 I would be driving in Europe didn't have it. To be honest, I'd really only ordered the Sports Package because I liked the wheels (I know, don't start...) I have an X5 without Sport, so I really didn't know what I might miss about not having it.

Well, my wife and I drove approx. 1200 miles through all sorts of conditions, including wet roads, ice, steep hills, and mud. The non-Sport X3 performed great through all of it, so much so that we had second thoughts about having to give back the "wrong" car at the end of the trip. The only exception was descending the Alps, where I found I that the car had the tendency to understeer on the downhill switchbacks. I also wasn't entirely thrilled with the road-feel, but my expectations hadn't been very high to begin with. Even so, I was beginning to wonder if I really wanted the Sports Package after all.

Fast forward three months, and the "correct" X3 arrives for us in the US. Correct color, heated wheel, and Sports Package. We knew we would like it, but...*****, what a driving difference from the non-Sport version! I was truly surprised.

I live in a hilly area, and the stiffer suspension provides more confidence in the turns--and I really didn't notice any less comfort in the ride. Also, I hadn't appreciated how much more comfort and control the upgraded, thick padded steering wheel contributes. I always thought the M wheel was just a cosmetic upgrade, but it's much more than that. And the seats are better (I have "comfort" seats in my X5, but I prefer the "sports" seats in the X3.) Oh yeah, I like the wheels better, too.

So, for those of you on the fence on the Sports Package, I hope my experience gives you some useful insight. I've now got over 1200 miles in both versions and, while I would certainly be happy with either, the Sports Package is definitely worth it for me.

One final note....Too bad BMW won't be doing future X3 Euro Deliveries---In many ways, it is the perfect car for a tourist driving trip through Europe.

MY2008 X3 3.0si |Monaco Blue| Sand | Sport | Prem | NAV | Auto | Euro Delivery 9/21/07

2004 X5 4.4i (retired)
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Thanks for the writeup. Does your X3 Sport have the 19-inch wheels and performance tires or the 18's with all seasons?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0
your M wheel is heated?? I didn't think that was possible.
I guess i was wrong...

"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion."
Arthur C. Clarke
Old 01-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Please clarify about your heated steering wheel. I don't think the //M wheel that comes with the sport package can be heated.

Glad to hear BMW worked everything out for you in the end.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke77 View Post
One final note....Too bad BMW won't be doing future X3 Euro Deliveries---In many ways, it is the perfect car for a tourist driving trip through Europe.
+1!! especially in winter.

When I was driving from Munich to Prague, there was about 100 miles of narrow mountain twisties with lots of snow and X3 did a great job.

Anyway, heated steering wheel is not available with M steering wheel in sport package, and it is available with Sport Activity Package which also includes sport steering wheel and 18" alloy wheels. Can you clarify?
Old 01-31-2008, 05:44 PM
Think Solar

Oops, just re-read my post...I didn't mean to include "heated wheel" (I have that on my 650i). I have the M steering wheel that comes with the Sports Package. But everything else is correct.

I have the 18" wheels w/all-season tires.

MY2008 X3 3.0si |Monaco Blue| Sand | Sport | Prem | NAV | Auto | Euro Delivery 9/21/07

2004 X5 4.4i (retired)
Old 02-15-2008, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: Soon a X3
Thanks

AWESOME review! That really helped me in my decision. I have driven both for about 20 minutes each and have just been trying to make a decision. I had the same initial impressions you did so that makes a lot of sense to me and also confirms what thoughts I have in my head. REally appreciated your post!
Old 02-15-2008, 10:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Thanks, great comments. I'm now in an X3 with Sport Package and wish I'd done it the first time but test drives don't always show you everything you need to see. The seats are better than I expected and very comfortable. It's in the 20's this morning so I'll find out how much I miss the heated steering wheel.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si, 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke77 View Post
Oops, just re-read my post...I didn't mean to include "heated wheel" (I have that on my 650i). I have the M steering wheel that comes with the Sports Package. But everything else is correct.

I have the 18" wheels w/all-season tires.
Be very glad you didn't get the cold weather package, you would have lost that wheel! That steering wheel is phenomenal, better than many sports cars I have owned.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRob View Post
Be very glad you didn't get the cold weather package, you would have lost that wheel! That steering wheel is phenomenal, better than many sports cars I have owned.
The Sport Package is the only option that prevents you from getting the heated wheel. It's optional in every other configuration.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi coupe
Im sorry to hear that happened to you. Its interesting that I posted something similar back in January in the ED section of this forum. My father did ED on his 535xi in January of 08. He ordered the deep sea blue with natural brown interior. To his surprise he got a deep sea blue color with beige interior. Most of the morons on this forum were making dumb ass comments and telling me that it could never happen. Suffice to say I got flamed from most of the people that read that post. My dads car will be delivered to him this week (the wrong color interior) and BMW will send inspectors out to look at his car at the dealership in order to make their decision on whether or not the color is beige or natural brown. If its the wrong color then the vehicle will be replaced.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Think Solar

It definitely happens that orders get screwed up. I've read of at least two other similar ED examples. That said, BMW really did work it out for me, as did my dealer.

Of course, it was kind of hard to dispute the absence of the Sports Package and the difference between black interior and beige Once everybody checked out all of the docs, it was like "ok, just be patient, we will find a way to work this out to your satisfaction."

My US delivery 04 X5 arrived with the wrong color wood trim when I first got it. That, however, was solely the dealer's mistake. Typically, the dealership is the source for most order foul-ups, because that is where most of the manual order entry happens. The two and three digit order codes for certain options are often very close, and it is relatively easy for somebody to type an "N" where an "M" should go, etc.

FYI, in both cases of error, my dealer (different for each car) offered me $2000 off my purchase price as an incentive to take the car that arrived. I took it on the X5....I did not on the X3 (since the price of the sports pkg alone was more than that...)

2004 X5 4.4i (retired)
Old 02-17-2008, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
I remember reading on this forum, then some one was very surprise, when they get in Munich to see that their car has Manual instead of Automatic Transmission.
The were few mishaps. I catch in early stage that my CA enter in the computer 325 instead of 330. One member receive his car with 325 logo on the trunk - but it was 330.
Glad it's work OK for you. Euro delivery is amazing way to get this great cars and drew them in condition the was design for.

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT

Last edited by MB330; 02-17-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: x3
I was on the flip side of this 2 years ago. I was ordering an x3 because I wanted MT and there were none to be had in the tri-state area. Two days after I placed my order, the dealership calls to say - let's make a deal..... I took a mis-ordered ED that they had sitting in the lot for "a while".... it had driven thru EU ... it was manual instead of AT, and the leather was terra-cotta instead black. I got her with 2,500 miles...premium package, winter package, sports package and a few other bells and whistles I would have never have gotten....12miles, 24 months, nothing down....for $299/month. Yes. $299/month. Talk about losing money on a deal. I turn her in next week. *sigh* DEEP *sigh* She's being replaced by a 328i, but I'm still going to miss her....AND HER PAYMENTS!