Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 3.0
Z4 - Want to get rid of run flat tires

I have a 2004 Z4 3.0si. It is about time to replace the tires and I have read many threads about getting rid of run flat tires. I am thinking about taking the plunge.

I live in Atlanta, so snow and ice are not really an issue, I believe I can drive "summer" tires year round .

What will the dealer say if I ask them to put on non RFTs? I am still under the full maintenance program, so I don't want to invalidate that.

I did a search on tirerack and saw two tires that had higher tread wear ratings.

Goodyear Eagle F1 All-season http://tinyurl.com/2frfpn

Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S http://tinyurl.com/yooca4

Does anyone have feedback on these two types?

Or in general, if I wanted to get tires that balances tread life with performance, but slanted towards tread life, which types have good feedback from fellow Z4 drivers?

Also, opinions on road hazard price v. value please...
Thanks so much!
Ads by Google
Old 02-04-2008, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...odel=HTR+Z+III

Check these out. The new Sumitomo's are getting rave reviews everywhere. In their performance category, there isn't a tire that comes within sniffing distance of their tread wear. The tires are dirt cheap as well. These are definitely the way I'm going.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhuynh View Post

Check these out. The new Sumitomo's are getting rave reviews everywhere. In their performance category, there isn't a tire that comes within sniffing distance of their tread wear. The tires are dirt cheap as well. These are definitely the way I'm going.
Wow.

That seems almost too good to be true.

For the z4 sport package those are about half the price of the Yokohoma Advans and the Michlin PS2s
Old 02-04-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob P View Post
Wow.

That seems almost too good to be true.

For the z4 sport package those are about half the price of the Yokohoma Advans and the Michlin PS2s

I agree as well . I've read reviews all over the web and they seem to be meeting the demands of a lot of drivers.

I have an s2000 as well and frequent their boards often. The Tirerack representative that shows up on that board raves about these tires.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC '00 Z3C
I've got Eagle F1s on my Z4 roadster and love them. I highly recommend them.

As far as your dealer, you should expect them to refuse to mount non-OEM tires, and a lecture about changing them - it's pretty much their job to stick with the party line that nothing but what BMW puts on the cars will prevent you from dying a grisly death and being chastised in the afterlife by the BMWCCA's Pearly Gates chapter.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: E36, E90, E85
Maaaybe

Quote:

I listened to the Sumitomo raves in the recent past and lived to regret it. Cheap but got noisy fast and I wasn't thrilled with the performance. Maybe these are the bee's knees but I've decided to stick with "costs and is worth it" - Michelin PS2s.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
I have the Bridgestone 960 AS pole postions and I really like them.
2009 Club Car Precedent (to putter around the beach)
Old 02-04-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaktarZ View Post
I listened to the Sumitomo raves in the recent past and lived to regret it. Cheap but got noisy fast and I wasn't thrilled with the performance. Maybe these are the bee's knees but I've decided to stick with "costs and is worth it" - Michelin PS2s.
Was it the older htrz 2's or 3's? This is a new tire that just came out. Let the curious know.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:23 AM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
A few things...

1. I don't think BMW made the 3.0si in 2004. So you got the production year wrong, or it's probably the 3.0i?

2. While the dealer won't install non-RFT tires, it shouldn't affect your warranty or free-maintenance. Just take it to a reputable tire installer recommended by Tire Rack. You may want to avoid discount tire installers; you may save a few bucks, but your wheels may get damaged. Unfortunately, I am speaking from my own experience

3. If you go with non-RFTs, make sure you get either a spare in the trunk or a fix-a-flat kit with an air compressor.

4. I have no experience with the Pirelli's, but I can definitely recommend either the Goodyear F1 All Season or Bridgestone Potenza RE750s. The Potenza has good traction and excellent tire wear (340AA A).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaz View Post
I have a 2004 Z4 3.0si. It is about time to replace the tires and I have read many threads about getting rid of run flat tires. I am thinking about taking the plunge.

I live in Atlanta, so snow and ice are not really an issue, I believe I can drive "summer" tires year round .

What will the dealer say if I ask them to put on non RFTs? I am still under the full maintenance program, so I don't want to invalidate that.

I did a search on tirerack and saw two tires that had higher tread wear ratings.

Goodyear Eagle F1 All-season http://tinyurl.com/2frfpn

Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S http://tinyurl.com/yooca4

Does anyone have feedback on these two types?

Or in general, if I wanted to get tires that balances tread life with performance, but slanted towards tread life, which types have good feedback from fellow Z4 drivers?

Also, opinions on road hazard price v. value please...
Thanks so much!

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 02-05-2008, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: E36, E90, E85
Wasn't a new variant.

Quote:
Was it the older htrz 2's or 3's? This is a new tire that just came out. Let the curious know.
I purchased somewhere around 3 years ago.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
I've got Eagle F1s on my Z4 roadster and love them. I highly recommend them.

As far as your dealer, you should expect them to refuse to mount non-OEM tires, and a lecture about changing them - it's pretty much their job to stick with the party line that nothing but what BMW puts on the cars will prevent you from dying a grisly death and being chastised in the afterlife by the BMWCCA's Pearly Gates chapter.
Hey there epbrown. I am going to get the Good Year Eagle F1 All Seasons. How do they perform in light and heavier snow? Have you driven your Z's this past week during or after the snow storms? Please let me know...thanks!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:57 PM

I've never driven the roadster in the snow. I used my 325i for that, and now I've been (ab)using the Z4MC. So far, it's refused to get stuck, though the Contis are quite squirmy in the slop.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: '07 X3, '03 Z4
I replaced my 18" staggered with P-Zero Nero M&S and they are great--I do not drive in Ice or snow but on the dry or wet they are all I need. Very quiet, smooth and corner well. I got them from Tire-rack and got a portable compressor at harbor freight--I also carry a can of Flat-Fix---what ever you choose it will be better than the RFT's that you have--
Old 02-08-2008, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: Z4si Coupe
Been real happy with Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S replacements.

GHW
Old 02-08-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghw View Post
Been real happy with Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S replacements.

Glad to hear that, my CSLs are coming with those pre-installed. If they hadn't, i was going for PS2s for summer and Dunlop winter sports on the stock wheels.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: bmw z4
I have a set of 4 winter/all season run flats for a 2004 BMW Z4 for $200 OBO. I tires are in Greenbrook NJ. I only used them for about 2 winters otherwise they are in great shape. Please send me an email at matthewlee75@gmail.com if interested.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2011, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by slpernie View Post
I have a set of 4 winter/all season run flats for a 2004 BMW Z4 for $200 OBO. I tires are in Greenbrook NJ. I only used them for about 2 winters otherwise they are in great shape. Please send me an email at matthewlee75@gmail.com if interested.

Thanks
You need to say what kind/model of tire you have along with the sizing. Just a suggestion
Old 05-08-2011, 05:49 AM
Bill&MariaZ4X3

Mein Auto: Z4 and X3
Dump the runflats z4 2007 3.0

I dumped mine right away and the dealer didn't say a word - tires are warranted and have nothing to do with the service agreement - unless you change sizes. And I definately recommend you change sizes. I went with 235 45 17 - Firestone Indy. They really make the z drivable (I am not a racer) and the wife is now willing to drive. If you want to get rid of tramming, pull, and all the other bad habits of the stock rf or size, I would go with a little more rubber.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 00 M Roady 96 Z3
I just got rid of my fun flats and picked up a set of Hankooks ventus v-12 evo. I love the performance and the ride of the tires.

Great tire for the price
Old 05-18-2011, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4
what about a spare
Old 05-18-2011, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazda View Post
what about a spare

Carry a can of fix a flat, or the BMW mobility system as the M guys do....
Old 05-19-2011, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: bmw z4
Smile 2004 2.5 Z4 Winter Run Flats Tire Details

The runflats are goodyear evos 225/50/16 Ultragrips EMT. They are used but you can get a season or two season out of them. I will sell all 4 used tires for $50. They are located in Somersville NJ. Email me if you are interested matthewlee75@gmail.com.

Matt
Old 05-19-2011, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 / Z3
Run Flast

Made that jump a while back on my 2006. The cost of run flats to regular radials is no brainer either.
I do carry a AAA card so if I do have a problem I call 1-800 AAA and tell them to come and get me and carry me to the nearest tire store.

No regrets here .

David Weeks
Upstate Z Club
Old 05-19-2011, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i Sport
Other than the price being a bit higher I never had issues with the run flats.... I sport 18's. Performance is good unless the fronts get worn too low, then expect tramming and stuff... Otherwise works great for me.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 coupe,GTi, 911 rsr
what is the negativity on the run flats? I have my own feelings on them.

I have new Euforias and I don't think they perform better than contis or michilins. They ride differently too. Is it primarily the price of replacement? or is it ride quality too?