Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Awesom-o

Mein Auto: 07 335i Coupe
Question Ticking noise from 335i engine at idle

Hey there,

I have done what I could to search for "lifter tick" etc but most threads come up with older cars -- haven't found any specific to the 335i or how to fix it. Here are the details of my issue.

I have a MT 335i Coupe with 18,000 miles on it and a JBS2 (which I've had for ~5,000 miles). When I'm idling I can hear a ticking noise coming from the engine -- and it's simply annoying. When I accelerate or am at speed all is well and the engine hums beautifully.

The other thing I should note is that at times when the car is warm and I come to a stop, the idle can get a little rough. Very minor shakes/jutters that myself and passengers do notice which makes me think something isn't quite right.

Right before I installed my JBS2 I brought it to my local BMW dealership and complained about idle noise / roughness and they checked it out and said all was normal. What are your thoughts? I can remove the JBS2 and take it back to them but I suspect they'll tell me everything is fine, however it seems like something needs to be tuned.

Thanks for all the info! Much appreciated.

-Blake
Ads by Google
Old 02-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Simple search under Tick + Ticking + 335 = 2 results related to your issues.

If you do a search on ticking alone you will find that not only the 335i has this issue but just about the whole BMW line has this issue Current or Old. My 2007 525i does it too.

According to BMW service it is normal....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...light=tick+335

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=ticking+335
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Tick when cold = normal
Tick when warm = abnormal, possibly air in the valve lifters, there is a SI B about bleeding the lifters, involves a tech revving the engine to 4k while in park for 3-4 minutes. The tick will return though, design of the heads and there seems to be an oil flow problem to some of the lifter oil areas.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Did you ever have this issue resolved? I get a loud ticking/vibrating noise when in neutral randomly. I have the GIAC flash...could it be related?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335I
Any answers on this ticking issue? I drove my hard for a little while the other day and then parked and let it idle to allow the turbos to cool. I heard a loud ticking noise in the engine. I open the hood and it just didn't sound good after a few seconds it went away. BTW i had the lifters changed already because it was ticking before.

Any ideas?
Old 07-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Set up a sound clip and maybe we can distinguish it as there are a lot of possibilities for ticking. Were all 24 lifters replaced or just a few? How is your oil level? Miles since last oil service? Any mods? Loose spark plug perhaps? (they loosen with heat).
Old 07-29-2011, 05:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335I
Sound clip I'll try and catch it next time it does it.
No mods car is completely stock
They replaced all the lifters as well as the casing that the camshaft rides in not sure the name of the part, just getting familiar with BMW's.
The oil change isn't due for another 12000 miles and the oil level is good.
The car has 50000 miles on it.
It made the ticking noise for about 45 secs then it went away. It was right after a hard run. Hasn't made the noise again but then again I rarely push my car hard cause I want it to last.

Thanks,
Old 07-29-2011, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: '07 M5, '11 335xi M Sport
I have had several BMW's over the years '07 M5, '11 X5, '11 335ix, '00 540i, etc.
All of them make that lifter ticking noise when idling. It IS normal.
Just be on the lookout if it ever gets very loud.
Good luck.

'11 335xi M Sport Automatic sedan Black Sapphire, Saddle Brown Dakota Leather
'11 X5 Premium Platinum Grey/Oyster interior (wife's car)
'07 ///M5 Black Sapphire, Portalnd Brown Full Merino Leather, Walnut Madeira Wood Trim, HUD, Multi-function seats w/lumbar, Sirius and Rear Sunshades, 6-disc glove box CD changer, V1 and Blinder M-20.
'00 540iA Sport Jet Black/Saddle Interior (sold)
Old 07-29-2011, 07:01 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovejet View Post
Sound clip I'll try and catch it next time it does it.
No mods car is completely stock
They replaced all the lifters as well as the casing that the camshaft rides in not sure the name of the part, just getting familiar with BMW's.
The oil change isn't due for another 12000 miles and the oil level is good.
The car has 50000 miles on it.
It made the ticking noise for about 45 secs then it went away. It was right after a hard run. Hasn't made the noise again but then again I rarely push my car hard cause I want it to last.

Thanks,
I think some have had the camshaft ledge bearing replaced under warranty as well, could just be a manufacturing fault of some kind. I would say after a spirited drive, and with the oil pressure coming down at idle, a lifter may have collapsed temporarily. The noise from the lifter isn't so bad as the damage that can be done by the valve slamming into the valve seat, which it needs to "touch" the head (esp on the exhaust side), but over time, valve seat recession can lead to other problems.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Tick when cold = normal
Tick when warm = abnormal, possibly air in the valve lifters, there is a SI B about bleeding the lifters, involves a tech revving the engine to 4k while in park for 3-4 minutes. The tick will return though, design of the heads and there seems to be an oil flow problem to some of the lifter oil areas.

Yes, that is correct - cold night or morning starts have that distinctive clicking - all my BMWs have had that.
Learned a long time ago from the X5 Bimmerfest in 2003 that using Lucas Synthetic Oil additive (1 qt @ Oil change) made that noise go away.
Something about the oil draining down and then nothing coating the top part of the engine.
The Lucas additive is great to keep it lubed even when all the oil had bottomed out.
This is what I use in all my BMW engines - even my new Diesel I just picked up:

Last edited by Pat_X5; 07-29-2011 at 07:23 AM. Reason: quote reply
Old 07-29-2011, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328xi
Call me crazy, but here's been MY experience. I picked up a 2007 328xi with 54k miles on it... Around 65k I started hearing the ticks... after some "spirited driving" it would go away, only to return shortly thereafter. I even considered having the lifters replaced.

I have been a Mobil 1 (0w40) fan for YEARS... Running it in my Audi A4 3.0 Quattro for 125k miles and counting, so that's what i was putting in the bimmer...

After much research, I decided to switch. Since switching to Castrol Syntec 0w30, i haven't heard a single tick in 23k+ miles..

Maybe it's conincidence...maybe it's the viscosity... who knows.

//Brew
('07 E92 328xi / '08 E83 X3)
Old 07-29-2011, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330 XI 13k miles
Engine Ticking

We have a 2006 E90 and experienced a Tick as well at about 70000 miles. after a short while of diagnosis we decided to take in under the remaining warranty.. Of course the dealer started with a list of about 4,000 worth of "necessary" not- covered services and items they wanted to perform .. Like checking my brakes and changing the brake fluid.. YES changing the brake fluids for 1200.00 After walking through the problem several times the dealer discovered there was a SB regarding the problem. After paying my warranty dedicutable the dealer had replaced some parts and resolved the problem.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:03 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335i
Smile

Our 335i E93 is ticking when it's cold.. But even after the car warms up, the ticking noise is still apparent... We still have the CPO warranty and are thinking about taking it in for this..We also want them to look at the brakes because the discs feel warped and I believe it's covered under the maintenance plan.. What else should I have them look at or change at 47k miles?

Thanks,
Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by expoman55 View Post
We have a 2006 E90 and experienced a Tick as well at about 70000 miles. after a short while of diagnosis we decided to take in under the remaining warranty.. Of course the dealer started with a list of about 4,000 worth of "necessary" not- covered services and items they wanted to perform .. Like checking my brakes and changing the brake fluid.. YES changing the brake fluids for 1200.00 After walking through the problem several times the dealer discovered there was a SB regarding the problem. After paying my warranty dedicutable the dealer had replaced some parts and resolved the problem.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by memnips View Post
I have a MT 335i Coupe with 18,000 miles on it and a JBS2 (which I've had for ~5,000 miles). When I'm idling I can hear a ticking noise coming from the engine -- and it's simply annoying. When I accelerate or am at speed all is well and the engine hums beautifully.

The other thing I should note is that at times when the car is warm and I come to a stop, the idle can get a little rough. Very minor shakes/jutters that myself and passengers do notice which makes me think something isn't quite right.
Not right at all - mine does none of the above, frosty or warm weather, cold or hot engine.

I'd be pissed. A written request for warranty resolution might get more attention.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 07 E90/09 Porsche Turbo
Ticking/Brakes

I had my engine lifters replaced at around 51k and it was covered under my extended warranty, apparently if the noise comes back they will also replace the cylinder head. If you do not have the extended warranty buy it if you plan on keeping the car for another 3 years.

Regarding your brakes ask for a measurement and go from there, remember there is only one sensor and 4 points of contact on the rotor which can differ dramatically. BMW said I needed brakes in 8k and I told them to make sure and measure. Sure enough the brakes and rotors needed to be changed. I've found that taking my car to various dealers keeps everyone in check... Good luck.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:27 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by john Dew View Post
I had my engine lifters replaced at around 51k and it was covered under my extended warranty, apparently if the noise comes back they will also replace the cylinder head. If you do not have the extended warranty buy it if you plan on keeping the car for another 3 years.

Regarding your brakes ask for a measurement and go from there, remember there is only one sensor and 4 points of contact on the rotor which can differ dramatically. BMW said I needed brakes in 8k and I told them to make sure and measure. Sure enough the brakes and rotors needed to be changed. I've found that taking my car to various dealers keeps everyone in check... Good luck.
Thanks John. I'm going to make an appointment and take it in. It's a 2007 335i with the N54 engine... I believe they've replaced a lot of things on this during the warranty, including the high pressure fuel pump. I hope they go ahead and replace the head and lifters.

My warranty expires March of 2013... Just got off the phone with Perillo BMW in chicago and they'll be looking into it and will hopefully replace the lifters, or the whole head.

Thanks again,

Mark
Old 02-28-2012, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
THis is normal. My e93 335i does this as well when I start it up but then fades away after the engine warms up.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 AM

Mine doesn't fade away. I hope BMW takes care of this. My ticking doesn't go away. There's a clearance issue somewhere in the head or the hydraulic lifters. I've dealt with this before on mechanically adjustable lifters. But with hydraulic auto adjusting lifters, you face these clearance issues that you can't adjust out. I'm planning to keep the engine for a long time, so I just want to make sure this is covered by warranty.

Best regards,
Mark

Old 02-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by markangelo View Post
Mine doesn't fade away. I hope BMW takes care of this. My ticking doesn't go away. There's a clearance issue somewhere in the head or the hydraulic lifters. I've dealt with this before on mechanically adjustable lifters. But with hydraulic auto adjusting lifters, you face these clearance issues that you can't adjust out. I'm planning to keep the engine for a long time, so I just want to make sure this is covered by warranty.

Best regards,
Mark
Although more common on the N52 head, the N5[4|5] head shares the same oil starvation on the exhaust side lifters (collapsing HLA). Search here there are quite a few replacements and satisfaction.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Although more common on the N52 head, the N5[4|5] head shares the same oil starvation on the exhaust side lifters (collapsing HLA). Search here there are quite a few replacements and satisfaction.
Thanks. I took it to Perillo in Chicago and they said it's normal. I am going to take it to another dealership and hope they're more willing to do something about it.

Now, I hear the actuator on the driver's side exhaust rattle on start up! I hope the other dealership takes care of this too!

Best regards,
Mark

Old 05-23-2012, 06:43 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
same thing happened in my 2008 328. nothing ever came of it.