Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 02-08-2008, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325iT
Talking Craig's List and low ballers

How do you guys handle the low ballers on Craig's list? I usually do not even respond...
I am looking for a creative fun response... Any thoughts?

Dave
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Generally speaking, when selling something on craigslist, I sell something for a fixed price that I know is a good deal. In the craigslist text I put in caps and bold:
THIS ITEM IS FOR SALE FOR EXACTLY $XXX - CASH. DO NOT WASTE EITHER OF OUR TIME BY OFFERING ME LESS, I WILL DELETE YOUR EMAIL.

If it doesn't sell, I'll try again the next week with a lower price.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:21 AM
BMW Lover

Mein Auto: 2008 Bmw X5
when u say low ballers, do you mean negotiaters? I usually put things at a little higher price and when these people negotiate, I would lower the price a bit. This makes both of us happy =)

I just LOVE my X5.

My Garage- http://directory.bimmerfest.com/user...wUser&UId=4371
Old 02-09-2008, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335i
If it's a ridiculous offer, let the responder know that the ad was for a B-M-W, not a V-W!
Old 02-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Mein Auto: '97 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross5x View Post
when u say low ballers, do you mean negotiaters? I usually put things at a little higher price and when these people negotiate, I would lower the price a bit. This makes both of us happy =)
Thats what we do at our business. Set the price up several hundred $, then when people are shocked, we throw them the negotiated down deal, to make the cost of services normal for us. Win win situation.

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 02-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Who, me?

Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barvarian View Post
How do you guys handle the low ballers on Craig's list? I usually do not even respond...

Dave
I don't see any need to be rude.. Unless you have no interest in selling it..

How about a nice reply, "Thanks for your interest in my car. I'm afraid that price is lower than I would consider. My price is negotiable, but not by a lot. Have a great day!

As far as posting, "This price is firm, don't offer anything less!" That works great, if you don't want any response to your ad.. If you are selling a car, you have to leave some wiggle room.

regards,
kyfdx
Old 02-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Current 'Fest Addict

Mein Auto: '08 335i Coupe 6MT
Counter offer with a price higher than the one you posted.

Before: Steel Blue/Grey Leather '05 e46 330xi -- premium, heated, xenon

BMWCCA#: 365964

They really do have heart and soul....
Old 02-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Ik hou van Holland...

Mein Auto: 530xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiboy View Post
Counter offer with a price higher than the one you posted.
Yes my strategy...
Old 02-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
I also agree with not being rude. Everyone wants to get a great deal. If someone is just going via email, I don't think they are even serious. I never even treat someone seriously unless they see the car or place a deposit - even at the asking price. But if they see the car, then I can tell that they may be interested.

So, my approach:

Lowballers via email - Thank you for your offer. I'm sorry that I can't accept that offer at this time.

However, I am amenable to offers, and will negotiate with serious buyers who have seen the car. I believe the price I've listed is competitive and fair, and a guide to what I will be expecting.

Let me know by return if you have any questions or if you would like to set up an appointment.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454
Old 02-16-2008, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barvarian View Post

Dave
Lowballers need love too!!

True story - I saw an ad for a used 335i coupe with an asking price of about $2K more than I thought was fair. I kept looking for a while, then finally decided to go back & contact the seller and ask if his price was firm. By the time I emailed, he had taken the car to CarMax!!! Said he needed the cash. I really regretted not contacting the guy right away. He sold my dream car for wholesale or maybe less.

Since then, I'm a lowballer! I figure it's better to ask, just in case.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: e70, e36, e90, e46iT, 6.0
"your momma called, and even she thinks you are a cheap bastard."

seriously though, Craigslist is all about getting a good deal IMO so lowballers are just taking a shot in the dark. ya don't know if ya don't ask.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:32 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
isn't the right price is when the seller and buyer agree? What the heck is lowballer? Don't answer them?

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: e70, e36, e90, e46iT, 6.0
.....................................? do they swing to and fro?

can you tie them in a knot? can you tie them in a bow?

takes me back!
Old 02-16-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm a Mac

Mein Auto: 03 540iA sport
i'm all about the lowball. in fact, it could be my middle name. i've made 3 email offers just today on 2003 bmw's, each one approx. $3k below their respective asking prices ($23-$26k). let's see if one of them bites...

Current: 2003 540iA M-sport
Previous: 07 Porsche Boxster S, 01 BMW 330i SP, 97 Acura Integra GS-R, 89 Toy Supra, 73 Datsun 240Z
Old 02-16-2008, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: 96 Civic
I lowball dealers on Craigslist who ask for ridiculously high prices. I do that intentionally from time to time just to see what they say. Most of them will not give you a negotiated price but tell you to come in and "see what they can do."
Old 10-02-2008, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: 650i. 535xi
+1

Craigslist has some of the highest resale prices on BMWs so they deserve to be low balled.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 1 Series
Everyone should try to negotiate for a better deal...but asking a seller to lower the price well beyond fair market value is just plain inconsiderate and tacky.
I have sold very mainstream, average cars (Civic, Maxima), on Autotrader and Craigslist before and you ALWAYS seem to get some jackass trying to offer you $7000 for a car that's worth $12,000.

I think the best way to handle someone who is trying to make you an offer like that (an extreme cheapskate)....on the phone/internet....without even seeing the car, is to play along ("sure....I'll drop the price by $10,000....just so YOU can afford it....") and then set up a time for them to come by some made-up address and waste a bit of THEIR time!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: BMW's
The people who post Craigslist ads and spend two or three sentences telling you how firm their price is, and you better not dare send them an offer that's $0.01 lower than their price....they usually sound like assholes, and I click my browser's back button because I probably didn't want to deal with them anyway.

Sometimes I don't understand where people's motivation comes from. I mean, can you really be that much of a tool?

(not directed at OP - just directed at mean people in general)
Old 10-02-2008, 10:20 AM
A thought that speaks

Mein Auto: Monaco Blue E92 335i
The devil's advocate in me would like to turn this issue on its head. Is the OP expecting too much for his car? Sometimes, what the owner wants for his car is not in line with the market valuation. In the owners eyes, it's all about sentiments and how well the car has served him. In the buyers eyes, it's the tiny paint scratch here and the little cracked leather there and every other damage he thinks is still not disclosed.

Buying and selling is all about the process of getting to a price that makes both buyer and seller happy. Negotiating is part of the process. Counter-offering is part of negotiating. It should be done in a civilized manner.

8/4 ED at BMW Welt
8/11 Drop-off at Harms.
8/12 Started thumb twiddling
10/25 Redelivered
2008 E92 335i MT Monaco Blue, Saddle Brown, ZPP/ZSP/322/415/653
Old 10-02-2008, 10:28 AM
when will the keg end?

Mein Auto: 325ix 325ix 325ix 325ix
I keep getting the "I will give you 7000 cash right now for the car" (im selling a 2001 325xi for 10k)
I usually send them a long rant about how I dont care that they are offering me cash for the car cause there is a lein on the title anyways. So really I could care less where the money comes from because it all goes to my bank anyways.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by vocalthought View Post
The devil's advocate in me would like to turn this issue on its head. Is the OP expecting too much for his car? Sometimes, what the owner wants for his car is not in line with the market valuation. In the owners eyes, it's all about sentiments and how well the car has served him. In the buyers eyes, it's the tiny paint scratch here and the little cracked leather there and every other damage he thinks is still not disclosed.

Buying and selling is all about the process of getting to a price that makes both buyer and seller happy. Negotiating is part of the process. Counter-offering is part of negotiating. It should be done in a civilized manner.
Yeah, usually the folks who are anal about the firmness of their price are the same folks who are living in the clouds with their price. You can always tell they're one of "those" guys.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: '09 Z4 3.0i
Depends on what you mean by lowballer. if your car is priced RIGHT by verifiable standards like KBB, good to fair condition (unless it truly is immaculate) that's one thing--but if your car is a few $thousand above all the commonly-used car valuation numbers like KBB, Edmunds TMV, etc then it's entirely legitimate for someone to say "KBB values your car at $y in fair condition, and I haven't seen the condition yet. Would you consider an offer in the KBB range if I see and like your car?" (or just whatever the $ amnt is). On my side, if I am willing to pay $x for a car and the seller wants $x + $y, it's not worth my time to see it--but if I think it is overpriced, I'd ask. If there truly is no room for negotiation, then I won't waste my time or the seller's--but it really doesn't hurt to ask. Remember, you can always just delete an email if you are insulted by it!

2009 Z4 3.0i roadster
Sapphire black, beige leather, premium, auto, comfort access, cold weather pkg, Sirius, sport, alarm, ipod & smartphone integration

BMWCCA member #402504
Old 10-03-2008, 05:49 AM
Properly chastised re: Xi

Mein Auto: 2005 325xi
Same thing people have described here applies to my experience with selling things on eBay lately. I frequently get emails saying "I see nobody has bid on your item 'X' so would you take it for $ 'Y' with shipping included right now?". My standard response is "No thanks, there are 5 days left on the auction and serious bidders often don't bid until the last few hours, but you are welcome to place a bid, good luck!".
Old 10-03-2008, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: '09 Z4 3.0i
Well, here's a great example. Yesterday on craigslist there was a Nissan Maxima, no year, 245K miles, advertised for $1, but of course when you read the ad, it was more like "make an offer" with absolutely no idea of what price range the guy wanted. I emailed him to ask, and he said he's looking for the low-mid $3000's. We ended up discussing and I suggested he look in KBB, which showed a private party value of $2350, fair condition. So - if he hadn't looked and someone were to offer him $2k as an intial offer, that would sure seem like a lowball offer, wouldn't it? yet it is actually entirely justifiable based on KBB, and the guy was being unrealistic about the value of his car. Two sides to every coin--I'm sure OP knew KBB on his car and was asking a fair price. I'm just venting from the "lowballer" point of view!

2009 Z4 3.0i roadster
Sapphire black, beige leather, premium, auto, comfort access, cold weather pkg, Sirius, sport, alarm, ipod & smartphone integration

BMWCCA member #402504
Old 10-03-2008, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: 05 330Ci ZHP 6MT
I wish more people could study the correct way to negotiate because only then would you understand how awful it makes you look to a talented negotiator when you come right out the door with a price. Proper negotiating is an art.

Rule #1 is that you never show your bottom-line.