Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Whether you are a current BMW owner or just interested in BMW cars, we hope you enjoy your visit. Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a picture of your BMW for the rest of the community to see.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 325i convertible
closing a 1989 325i convertible top

I bought an '89 325i convertible (my first BMW) a few months ago. For a car that old, it's in pretty good shape and my only real problem so far is learning how to put the top down. Can anyone point me to a diagram/drawing/video which explains this? Thanks. Attachment shows me, my two grandchildren, and our 'new' BMW. Thanks for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1174.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	134997   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1175.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	134998  
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2008, 06:17 PM
BMW TECHNICIAN!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Black 840Ci
Mein Auto: 94 840Ci
is it a manual or auto top??
Old 02-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Wrencher

Mein Auto: Autos
Welcome I used to have one. I see in the pic that its down. So do you need help to put it up or down. To put it down, pull the 2 latches above the windshield. Pus up to release tension on the top. Go to the drivers side and pull up the rear section that has the back window in it. push it forward as much as possible. Release the had cover by the handles on the inside panel that looks like a door release. Slip your finger under the edge of the hard shell and slid it toward the rear until you feel a metal safety latch. Pus it back toward the rear of the car and then lift it up. The you just fold the top down into the storage area and close the hard cover. Once you do it, you will see how easy it is and only takes a couple of seconds to do. The hardest part it finding the safety latch under the hard cover. This is for the manual top. I no longer have the car so I cant help with pics or video.
I hope I didn't confuse you too much but it really is easy once you do it the first time.

1987 325is
1990 325i
1990 318is
1997 Z3
1996 328ic
2006 F150 Super Crew
Old 02-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Retired Official Welcomer

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2002 M5
Welcome aboard. You have been officially welcomed to the 'Fest.

2015 Yas Marina Blue M4~Black full Merino leather~Executive Package~Drivers Assistance Plus~Lighting Package~Adaptive M Suspension~19" Black Light-Alloy Style 437 wheels~Carbon Fiber trim~HK audio systems~6MT
Old 02-15-2008, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 1989 325i convertible
closing top

Here is how I lower mine.

1. open the latches inside.
2. standing on the drivers side pop up the front with your left hand (it will go up about a foot)
3. using your right hand raist the back portion using your left hand to smooth the fold of the plastic window.
4. with the window folded up, release the latch to the lid (storeage area for the top)
5. lower the back area into the storeage area and continue to push back the front until it has all folded on top of itself in the storeage area.
6. close the lid.

I hope this helps. Its really fast once you get the hang of it.