Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-09-2008, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: fx35 soon to have 355xi
Unhappy Difference between 335i coupe & vert

After reading on here I have stopped my order on my 335xi....

Living in D.C. - I don't believe i would benefit from the AWD.

So I'm about to re-order my machine....

I'm getting the vibe that performance wise, there's a significant amount of difference

between the xi and the i....is there a noticeable difference between the vert and the coupe?

my E46 friend tells me the weight distribution would be different as well as the shocks...and

some minor mechanics...can someone set me straight on this?

your help will be greatly appricated....
Ads by Google
Old 02-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Current 'Fest Addict

Mein Auto: '08 335i Coupe 6MT
From my experience, there is always a difference in stiffness between a coupe and a vert. The vert's seem to be a lot looser. However, I've never driven a BMW vert, so I'm not sure about how the 335 compares.

That being said, for sheer joy of driving, the vert is awesome. In the DC area, the weather is nice enough to enjoy it quite a bit as well

Before: Steel Blue/Grey Leather '05 e46 330xi -- premium, heated, xenon

BMWCCA#: 365964

They really do have heart and soul....
Old 02-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Late '07 335 Coupe
Coupe:

Stiffer
Cheaper
Better lines

1. You probably won't feel it
2. You will feel it
3. You will see it
Old 02-09-2008, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: ---
Just off the top of my head, I think the vert weighs 400lbs more, and I would expect the chassis to be much less stiff. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong!

You may find a review from C&D to be interesting (unbiased by people trying to defind the car they have already bought).

Which brings us to the BMW's non-ragtop. Convertibles are hefty; hardtop convertibles even more so. The BMW's steel three-piece roof is no exception. The 335i coupe tested last November weighed 3557 pounds, this 328i, 3820. Only the Audi was heavier. We also found that the folding hardtops had a significant effect on weight distribution. In the BMW, the bias was 46.1/53.9 top up, 44.5/55.5 top down.

(note: the 335 weighs about 250lbs more than the 328)

More here:
from http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...-bmw-328i.html
Old 02-09-2008, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
328i Coupe and Vert Drives

I can't speak to the 335i but I have driven the 328i. Aside from the weight difference already mentioned by others, what was noticeable to me was the difference in acceleration both from a standing start and from a downshift to accelerate and pass. There are other differences in internal dimensions for rear seat space and of course the trunk.

I was on the verge of selecting a Vert to order for EDP but am now holding off after seeing the thread on Vert "flutter" for both the 328 and 335. Want to see if BMW corrects the problem and can wait until end of March before deciding on a model. Now looking more closely at the coupe and sedan as well as the Audi A5 which I have also driven.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: fx35 soon to have 355xi
thanks all! this is def. #1 source for anything BMW - I think I'll go with the coupe....I just got done researching the "flutter" issue...never heard it before....and thought minor...I think it would subconsiously bother me greately....
Old 02-11-2008, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 03 325cic; 04 545i sport
Even with occassional "flutter" pressure change I would pull triger again and purchase vert. Can't wait till warm weather with top down.
*01 325 ci black - retired
*00 323 ci titanium silver retired
Old 02-11-2008, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider41 View Post
I can't speak to the 335i but I have driven the 328i. Aside from the weight difference already mentioned by others, what was noticeable to me was the difference in acceleration both from a standing start and from a downshift to accelerate and pass. There are other differences in internal dimensions for rear seat space and of course the trunk.

I was on the verge of selecting a Vert to order for EDP but am now holding off after seeing the thread on Vert "flutter" for both the 328 and 335. Want to see if BMW corrects the problem and can wait until end of March before deciding on a model. Now looking more closely at the coupe and sedan as well as the Audi A5 which I have also driven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee1911 View Post
thanks all! this is def. #1 source for anything BMW - I think I'll go with the coupe....I just got done researching the "flutter" issue...never heard it before....and thought minor...I think it would subconsiously bother me greately....

Oh, good grief...if you really want the vert, then get it! There seems to be paranoia on this board about the 'fluttering' issue. Guess what...not all verts have this problem! Mine is quiet!

On E90post, people over there aren't complaining about this endless 'fluttering'...is there any chance that maybe it's not as 'widespread' as people make it out to be over here?

I'm not saying there isn't a fluttering problem with some verts...I'm just saying maybe it's not as prevalent/common as someone reading this board might be led to believe.

2008 335i Convertible
Black Sapphire Metallic
Old 02-11-2008, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Love my vert - it isn't as stiff as the coupe I am sure, but it is much much better than my e46 and there is no cowl shake at all. It is a little heavier, but weight distribution is the same and on the 335 the acceleration difference is negligable. I would argue it has better lines than the coupe, but only in dark colors - in light colors the cut lines of the roof detract from the looks I think.

Otherwise - its a vert - nothing cooler when the top is down - oh and trunk - what trunk - if the top is down, pretty much forget about the trunk!