Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 745Li
How can I tell if the rotors really need to be replaced? Dealer said I should do it... but that's the dealer.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:51 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
there are specs for the minimum rotor thickness, maximum runout (trueness to the hub),
as well as the difference from side to side thickness on each of the faces on vented rotors. (solid type rotors do not have this, as they are, well, solid...)

most shops just measure the rotor thickness and compare to the machine to spec. (usually 0.020" above discard if no spec is given is what i remember using when no spec was available).

if rotors are recommended, then they would be below machine to specs, pitted, have hard spots, severly grooved, or way out of runout spec (warped beyond machining to fix a pulsation concern).

if rotors are suggested,, it could be because that while they may be above spec, they will be at or close to (even below) 'machine to' spec (less than 0.020" left before machine to spec is reached) or 1 rotor is already there, while the other one may "technically" be able to be machined. this will create a side to side difference with regards to heat, thermal dissipation, and in all likelyhood, creat a pulsation in the rotor that was machined instead of being replaced. this variance could be as much as 0.040" or so, sometimes more, sometimes less. rule of thumb, though, is if 1 rotor is beyond spec, and the other will be almost there, replace both. that, or the owner will have to pay for the rotor and the labor to install it if a pulsation occurs in the rotor that was not replaced.

regardless, if there are no specs on your rotor thickness, question the recommendation. in fact, just questioning what the spec is and where your rotors are should be enough to thwart an unscrupulous service advisor. they should be written on the repair order. i know techs will try to sell rotors to make the job go quicker, because i worked at a dealership with 13 other guys and i was the only one that had a micrometer. very few even knew how to read a micrometer.

if you do go aftermarket for rotors, i have used brembo, wagner, and raybestos (not the off line for these on bmw, but their premium line is good) on all makes and models. only if the vehicle is a clunker would i use the 'off brand' stuff from raybestos (they all make them, though, so don't be fooled...)

hope this helps.

df
Old 09-09-2008, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 05 745 Li 06 lincoln navi
i just changed my pads today. the job was pretty much similar to the domestic cars im used to. i went with semi mettalic in the rear and ceramic in the front. the rotors were in fairly good condition so i chose to keep them since im saving up for an entire brembro upgrade kit and the 21" 128's. im getting great stopping power and this is from a guy with a semi-lead foot I LOVE THIS CAR!
Old 09-20-2008, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li BMW
Hey can I change my oil my Self?
Old 10-14-2008, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 745LI
Dustless brake pads

Thanks TXStYLE for sharing this. I installed the AKEBONO pads to the front of my 2004 745 LI 3weeks ago,
So far no dust...I cant wait to change out rear ones too..Performance a little spongy

but I got to compensate real quick, well worth it though.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 740iL
Dustless Brake Pads

This is my first post and I was fortunate to find a topic thread that specifically addressed the issue of Brake Replacement. I will be replacing the brakes on my 2000 740iL and I wanted to thank you all for being informative.

I'm not sure if I can ride on the tail of this thread or start a new one, but I'll go ahead and ask if anyone has performed a brake installation on their own and whether there were any tricks or traps or special tools needed? I've replaced brakes before on American made cars I've owned but this is my first BMW and I want to get things right.

I apologize in advance if this is not the correct place to ask this, but also want to thank you in advance for any insights.

BC
Old 04-22-2009, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 06 750 LI
Newbie Requesting More Feedback. Common problems of the 750LI

06 750LI newbie!!! x3weeks. I have a service appt concerning transmission choppiness (shifting from D to R etc..) Are there any other common issues that you guys have experienced that might warrant mentioning during my service visit? I'm at 46k and want to address as much as possible early. (No worries, I did purchase the 100k warrant)
Old 05-04-2009, 12:38 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 740il
Smile dusty brakes

Thanks for the info on the akebono pads. Was having real bad time removing dust from my rims. I am going to try them on my front and rear. I will check also for my wife's c-class.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 750LI M3 Mustang Tundra
i have a brand new set of akenbono pads forsale. 120$ shipped.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Din View Post
i have a brand new set of akenbono pads forsale. 120$ shipped.
Ceramics?
Old 05-22-2009, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 03 745LI
went with fcp groton:
E65 E66 Zimmermann & Akebono 4 Corner Brake Kit Model Range
Qty: 1 Price Ea: $550.00
Total Price: $550.00

i received and additional discount to about $524. caddy mechanic friend installed them in 2hours in his driveway.
took about 3 weeks to imbed. really slick in the beginning...when approaching traffic as i normally did with oem pads was like whooaaaa.....stop! but now little difference. prob a result of pedal pressure and imbed. clean wheels all the time with a simple wipe down when washing is great. wish i had these from the beginning as over the years that hot dust just burns its way into the wheel and never comes out. used some bar tenders friend (low abrasion version of comet) and its works well with some effort and doesnt leave scratches in the wheel.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 03 745LI
follow up

getting a squeeling noise when pulling out of the garage or backing out of a parking spot.
anybody else getting a squeel?? almost sounds like a bald tire turning on a hot tar surface.
bad istall?? been onthe car for over a month and tis started.
any ideas or input?
Old 09-27-2009, 03:58 AM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Ceramic Pads

I took the recommendation of TXSTYLE almost a year ago for my 745Li. I waited till it was out of warranty and I wouldn't be losing the chance at a warranty replacement and it was the best change I ever made to the car. If I had known, I would have changed them out while still under warranty. The car stops on a dime, I don't notice ANY difference in performance, and the wheels stay shiny forever. I never have to do a special wheel wash to get the car looking sharp again. So unless you enjoy washing your wheels every few days, take TXSTYLE's advice and make the switch. I had no trouble finding the pads on the internet.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:41 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Thanks TOM! AND the main thing guys is just try em! You will be so grateful! This is easily the best mod one can perform to their BMW.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
thx for info i just ordered them...that dust was my worst nightmare..cant wait to get them installed
Old 01-30-2010, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
I have just installed a set of front Akebonos. Braking seems to be a little softer, but nothing to worry about. I'll report the dust progress soon.

However, there is trouble resetting the service indicator. Reset procedure worked for me ('05 745i) many times before with oil and filters service intervals.
Now, I pressed the button and scrolled down to "RESET Fr. brake". The tachometer dial said "OK", but nothing was reset, and I am getting the silly "-11T miles" service reminder.
Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2010, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
Brake Service Reset Works!

Oops, just figured out that my old sensor was tripped a few miles before I changed the brake pads. Here's a forensic view of the sensor tip -- terminals A and B should have been connected (under a layer of plastic). Shorting the wires was a temporary fix until my new sensor arrives. And reset now works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8799s.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	216740  
Old 02-14-2010, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: N/A
?does anyone have any suggestions for rotors? oem or something els? btw thanks for the thread very helpful.
Closed Thread