Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 5
is there a central jack point for rear of X3

I was trying to jack up both back wheels on my 05 x3 and I believe, like my old e39, BMW supplies a pad for the front jacking point, but nothing as evident for the back. On my old e39 people used to put the jack under the differential (which freaks me out).

I did notice that there appears to be a metal "arch" material in the back over the driveshaft. Is this strong enough to support the whole rear of the vehicle? Maybe I'll post a picture tongiht
Ads by Google
Old 11-18-2010, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Look on the side

They are on the sides of the vehicle in front of the rear wheels. The pad does fits into the indention does not come with the vehicle I do not believe but they can be purchased. Here is an example- http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ID=51718268885

Last edited by X3emist; 11-18-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
They are on the sides of the vehicle in front of the rear wheels. The pad does fits into the indention does not come with the vehicle I do not believe but they can be purchased.
An X3 has 4 of those pads from the factory.

They can be fairly easily dislodged though, which is why they are readily available as a spare part.

I think other BMW models lose them more frequently than X3 owners do.

As to a jacking point to lift both rear wheels, based on what I read, I would not use the rear diff. casing, but that arched piece ahead of the diff. is fine as long as you are able to get your jack in there.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: LCI X3
I bent (bowed) the axle of a loaded pickup truck many years ago jacking from the diff. While this is not possible with BMW's I still don't think it's a good idea to jack them up from anywhere that isn't designed to take the weight of the car.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3, 2000 Audi S4
There is definitely a front center jack point. It's a rectangular metal pad with three holes located between the front wheels, in the middle of the plastic belly pan. I've jacked the front using it many times with no problems. It's the only practical way to get jack stands under the corner jack points.

As for the back, I saw that u-brace in front of and arching over the rear diff, and thought it might be a jack point as well. Called the dealer who confirmed, although I'm not 100% confident we clearly communicated over the phone. I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. I would like to hear if someone can get confirmation, or tries it out themself.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Please don't use the diff! While I havn't jacked the X3 yet, on my M3, you can use the tip of the triangulation point on the subframe to centrally jack the rear. I think what everyone is talking about on the X3 might be a similar point to use. I'll have mine up on ramps this morning to do the oil change; I'll take a look and offer up my thought.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:40 AM

ok let's settle this one.

Do we agree it is safe to jack the rear of the x3 using the metal cradle that is pointed at in the attached picture?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0134.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	255369  
Old 11-20-2010, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: X3, A6, Maxima, Jetta
codog2, that is what I used to lift my wife's X3 when I rotated the tires. I only let it rest on that point while I lifted it. I used the side jacking pads for the jackstands while I was rotating the tires. I didnt want it to rest on that point for longer than necessary.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
I see some people use a slab of 2x6 as a pad to spread the load and make things a bit safer.

Others might argue that a piece of wood can break up under load.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Why not use the jack pad

that's what its for isn't it. Fine German engineering and you guys won't heed the manual.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
that's what its for isn't it. Fine German engineering and you guys won't heed the manual.
Jack pad is for lifting one wheel at a time with the factory jack. There is a central jacking point for the front. It would just make lifting the back easier

My Acura MDX has central jacking points for the front and back of their vehicles in addition to the individual points at each wheel. My old accord did too.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:10 PM

Corner jack pads are for lifting a vehicle with a four point automotive lift. They can be used to lift a single corner in the case of a flat, but that's just for emergencies. Any other time you have a car up for work it should be on jack stands. Hydraulic jacks can and do regularly fail. The only way to jack this car and put one end on stands is to use a center jack point (the corner pads are too small to fit a jack and a jack stand). Central jack points exist for a reason.

No one here is suggesting using something that wasn't engineered for lifting.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
I don't understand. One should rotate tires front to back, same side, only. What you should want to do is get one side of the car off the ground (after having untorqued the lug bolts). Get a second jack, or use jack stands. Or go to a tire dealer - many will rotate for free, just to get you to come back and buy tires later. Good to have an experienced eye look at them anyway.

I myself wouldn't use any jack point other than what the owner's manual says. Getting creative here can get you into trouble.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmadoggie View Post
I don't understand. One should rotate tires front to back, same side, only. What you should want to do is get one side of the car off the ground (after having untorqued the lug bolts). Get a second jack, or use jack stands. Or go to a tire dealer - many will rotate for free, just to get you to come back and buy tires later. Good to have an experienced eye look at them anyway.

I myself wouldn't use any jack point other than what the owner's manual says. Getting creative here can get you into trouble.
People do all sorts of other work on cars that requires lifting (brakes, rotors, transfer case, diff fluid, exhaust work, suspension work, winter wheel swaps), and I'll say it again - whenever working on a car lifted with a hydraulic jack, jack stands are a must. The jack is just to lift the car until you can get stands under it. NEVER work on a car held only by a hydraulic jack unless you're willing to have it come down fast at any moment. The only way to get a jack stand under a corner jack pad is to lift someplace else. There simply isn't enough room for both. This is why center jack points exist.

This isn't a difficult concept, and no one is suggesting doing anything "creative." Agree 100% that lifting a vehicle from any point not engineered for it is a very bad idea. Go look under the front center of your X3. You'll see an engineered center jack point. We're trying to determine where the rear center jack point is. I've heard from my dealer that it's the U-brace in front of the rear diff, confirming the OP's question, and one person has posted they've successfully used it. Anyone else care to confirm or have other information to share?

Last edited by Brandon01; 11-21-2010 at 02:43 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: LCI X3
From Otto's Tech Tips at:

http://blog.bavauto.com/bmw-e46/bmw-...ng-up-your-car

Quote:
Thank you for your question. We do make note, in the text, that you can certainly jack on the crossmember or the differential (although, jacking on the differential does stress the differential mounting bushings) and place the jack-stands at the rocker panel lifting pad locations. It all depends on what type of work you will be doing.
Quote:
While jacking on the differential itself does strain the differential bushings, there are times when this may be your only choice. We do recommend this as only the last course of action, but we have never actually experienced any bushing problems from doing this when you have no other choice. Similarly, when jacking on the crossmember you are stressing the crossmember bushings. Again, when working with a floor jack and jack-stands you may have no other alternatives. If you happen to have a four-point chassis lift, then of course, these points are no longer issues or problems.
When I need to put the car on jack stands I do it one at a time postioning the jack under the suspension out near the wheel and putting the stand under the jack pad. Jacking from the center is probably fine.... I just feel more comfortable doing it my way.

I also have a chunk of tire on my floor jack to keep it from breaking the paint on the suspension component I'm jacking up. I know OCD.....

That's not the worst of it..... When I need new tires I also take my wheels off and take them to the shop. I do not trust ham fisted gorillas with too little time and nothing but torque sticks to take my wheels off and put them back on.

My wife doesn't call me Monk for no reason.

Last edited by SWMc; 11-21-2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: sp
Old 11-21-2010, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
ok let's settle this one.

Do we agree it is safe to jack the rear of the x3 using the metal cradle that is pointed at in the attached picture?

I just did my oil change on my 2007 and I would jack from the point shown above, if I were to jack the rear of the car. However, I'd make sure I had some sort of rubber jack pad between my jack and that brace for stability and to prevent scratching the paint/coating.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon01 View Post
.... Go look under the front center of your X3. You'll see an engineered center jack point. We're trying to determine where the rear center jack point is. ...
The thread had drifted to tire rotation and I was addressing that. I have no opinion on central jacking points.

I do agree about jack stands. In fact I use a scissors jack and ease the car onto the jack stand but don't completely unweight the jack, so they are redundant. I don't trust either. It would be kind of embarrassing to get squashed by a car that wasn't moving.

Last edited by dharmadoggie; 11-21-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8i
I just did a brake job and successfully lifted the rear end using the metal brace that runs under the diff as pointed to in the picture above. I was a bit confused and had to do some searching to figure out that the front jack point is a short rectangular "tube" with three holes in it ahead of the front wheels. jacked the front from there with no issues either.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330ci conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon01 View Post
There is definitely a front center jack point. It's a rectangular metal pad with three holes located between the front wheels, in the middle of the plastic belly pan. I've jacked the front using it many times with no problems. It's the only practical way to get jack stands under the corner jack points.

As for the back, I saw that u-brace in front of and arching over the rear diff, and thought it might be a jack point as well. Called the dealer who confirmed, although I'm not 100% confident we clearly communicated over the phone. I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. I would like to hear if someone can get confirmation, or tries it out themself.
Thank you for this...I'm about to do a cooling system overhaul and it's the first time I'm jacking up the X3. I've got the jack on that metal pad but I thought I'd look for reassurance before I bent something really important.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
Sorry, but I'm still confused as to the precise central jacking point for the rear side of the X3.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
I saw the attached image of the underside of a 2012 x3 from (http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/x3/2012/l...nderneath.html) and based on my limited knowledge indicated where the rear jack point might be (feel free to correct).

The other point people use I guess is where the second "-" is in the middle of the rear differential?

Might be easier to talk of locations with an image... granted it is a 2012 so so it's not exactly the same as the 2005.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bmw_x3_under3-127820.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	400246  
Old 10-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: 2009 X3
I finally found the reference!

Ok, so here is the procedures FROM BMW on authorized jacking points for the X3
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMW X3 JAcking Procedures.png
Views:	543
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	400537  
Old 11-08-2013, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 318ti
excellent timing...i'll need this info for this weekend...appreciated. (thought i'm not too sure where that arrow is pointing to on the diff)
Old 11-08-2013, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
Almost looks like they're right on the differential housing...
I know I've jacked the back up using the support base in front of the differential so I can set jack stands on either side at the jack points. Looks plenty sturdy to me & is anchored well into the frame. No damage experienced.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: 318ti
Yup I'm going to try that cross frame, and maybe use a short piece of 2 x4 to distribute the load a bit. Then I'll set her on jack stands.