Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-21-2016, 02:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 BMW X3
Oil in coolant

Recently had my oil changed, approx 2 weeks later I'm seeing oil in my coolant. I'm freaking out. What's causing this? Water pump failing? Coolant lines?
Old 06-21-2016, 03:08 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
Head/head gasket failing. Do you suspect the water pump because you had an overheating incident?
Old 06-21-2016, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
More likely the heat exchanger gasket has failed than a head gasket; if that were the case, you'd have a thread about the engine running like crap and not oil in coolant.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:26 PM

Don't think it's the head gasket, no smoke or overheating problem. But possibly water pump but got new one 2013. New serpentine , new tranny Sept 2012., new transfer case 2014. Have had oil leak needs addressed badly. right behind the pump little lower oil is caked on lower parts not sure what they are.noticed same on belts:/. I've also been getting this sound when car runs awhile & more so when AC on, sounds like bearings? when I pour water down behind the oil filter small gap next to water pump the noise goes away? Mechanic said it was contamination of my belts from the recent coolant leak, oil leak. The water trick works however it doesn't last and feel really stupid being such a pretty car and having to pop the hood to do this constantly. Its driving me insane. I can't do this much longer.

onger.

Last edited by leannaluv; 06-23-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:59 PM

Oil doesn't flow through the water pump so that is not the cause of fluids mixing, even though you never mentioned the year or engine of your vehicle.

Pulleys won't and can't touch each other.

If you're getting a sound while running, it sounds like either a tensioner, idler pulley is shot, or the bearings in another accessory. Impossible to accurately diagnose over the internet based solely on the above descriptions.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:17 PM

I did not know that, thank you. 04 X3 2.5i 130k. I'm taking it in just as soon. As I get some cash together. In the meantime would you mind listening to a sound clip of this noise? This noise also gets loud when I turn on AC less when off but still present. I can't express how this noise drives me insane.i don't drive my car because of it . Or I spray or pour water down next to the water pump, could the sound be bad bearings on the pump? I'll go record the noise maybe you can recognize it? Maybe any help is extremely appreciated.thanks.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:14 AM

The strangest thing, I recently posted finding oil in my expansion tank wondering where it's coming from & how it's entering the tank. Can this damage my car, I removed the plug and drained the coolant however, I didn't notice a layer of oil as seen when I withdrew coolant from the expansion tank it really concerns me. How to get rid of it as well? Lastly, I did notice a difference with the engine power etc. Really perky and much quicker! Would this situation have anything to do with the car running better?

Last edited by leannaluv; 06-23-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:12 PM

If oil and coolant are mixing, yes that is detrimental to your car. You'll have to either find the failed gasket or pay someone to find it. You can run a compression test to find the cylinder in question if it is a head gasket. The heat exchanger gaskets often fail by 100k so I'd start there.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:38 PM

I don't think they're mixing, when I checked coolant in expansion tank it looked odd that's when I withdrew it I deposited into a clear bottle of water (empty)there was a clear separation of the oil & coolant. Its not overheating, no warning lights however I just need to take it in since I can't find out a logical reason for this happening. Thank you for your help.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search