Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-09-2014, 12:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 x3
GUIDE: Disabling Xdrive to make RWD only

So my x3 finally succumbed to the dreaded transfer case actuator failure and the constant 40% of the torque to the front made the steering wheel feel heavy. Since the AWD was messed up I decided to figure out how to just disable it entirely.

WARNING: TRY AT OWN RISK

FOR 2007+ X3 All you have to is pull fuse #26 and viola RWD car; another added perk you will no longer hear the clicking noise from the actuator after turning off the car because it's disabled!

For Years before 2007 it might be fuse 20 or 26 look at link at end of post.

DISCLAIMER: My X3 was only intermittently spitting out the triad of lights. This will make the triad permanent, if your triad is permanent you will see no additional warning lights.

ABS, DSC DTC IS COMPLETELY DISABLED, so be very careful!!

It will throw shadow codes if read by an OBD reader to remove them look at link at bottom.

Until my new gear comes in for the actuator this is how I'll roll, hopefully i'll get better MPGs!

Note: on pavement I found it hard to break traction to prove to myself it was in RWD, I'd recommend trying on grass or gravel with absolutely nothing close to hit.

SOURCE:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444973
In thread.

Last edited by rosskey711; 07-09-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 08-11-2014, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: 06 x3 M
So in my 2006 there are like 6 fuses noted under DSC. There is one big main 40amp fuse on the list. I assume if I pull this I'll have no DSC or ABS? I'm just trying to determine if anything bad and long term would occur? I just want to disable AWD for about 30 minutes for some troubleshooting of lurching.
Thoughts?