Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-08-2014, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X3 30i Sport
2010 X3 ibus wiring / DICE Mediabridge Install Questions

Hi all, first post, new owner - recently purchased a 2010 X3 and one of the first orders of business was to try and add capabilities for Bluetooth A2DP streaming through a DICE/Audiovox Mediabridge. Needless to say, most all of the instructions and information i've found out on the forums seem inapplicable to 2010 models, i've managed to find several other threads out there from other 2010 owners facing the same issues. Was hoping I could get some advice from the community here.

Before I write a book here explaining my situation, I'd ask one very direct question that maybe makes everything else irrelevant:

Can anyone tell me if there is an ibus wire in the loom for the cell phone eject box feature in the armrest? I do NOT have the eject box device, but the armrest is prewired for it. I'm pretty sure if i can locate an ibus wire in that bundle, I can simply tap it and my problems will be solved. Everywhere else I've looked says the ibus wire is usually white/yellow/grey - but I don't think this is the case with 2010's. The 3 pin connection I found in the cargo area actually seems to have the ibus wire as white with a red stripe and yellow 'dots' going down the lead, but I cannot find a similar wire in the center console/arm rest area, though it seems strange that the cell phone connection wouldn't have an ibus lead. Is there a chance its a different color for whatever reason? Is there a way to ID an ibus lead with a multimeter?

OK - outside of that, heres the details on my situation and everything i've discovered so far:

- My car is an X3 Sport with Nav, bluetooth phone (no cradle) and DSP, but no satellite radio or cd changer.

- I have DSP, but I keep finding conflicting information about Digital DSP vs Analog DSP systems. Iíve read that any X3 made after 2006 DOES NOT need/use the coax connection - is that right? All product selectors iíve used online have told me that I DO need the DSP adapter, so its a bit unclear. I don't seem to have coax connections where i'm supposed to, but see similar looking black wires routed as part of the other bundles nearby, maybe these are antenna connections - but i'm leaning on NO coax.

- The center console / armrest had a 6 pin connector, labeled CD-SDARS buried down under the bracket - but there was NO coax or 3 pin connector. There is a large bundle of wires loomed together going up into the armrest lid, which would seem to be prewiring for the eject box / phone cradle, but nothing else.

- Behind the radio, the CD Changer plug on the back of the harness was EMPTY. There was a 6 pin connector taped down to the harness loom, unplugged. This connector was labeled CD-SDARS as well. I have plugged this connector in. There are no other wires behind the dash. I have read conflicting information about wether or not the CD-SDARS is the Ďrightí cable to use or not.

- In the cargo area near the nav dvd unit and car bluetooth, there was only a single wrapped bundle of unlabeled wires, with a 6 pin connector, a 3 pin connector, a 12 pin, and what i think is a purple Fakra connector. My guess is that this is the prewiring for the sat radio because of the Fakra connector, but could this actually be for the CD Changer? It is my understanding that the 6 pin on the other end SHOULD have been plugged into the back of my radio from the factory. I've read that If one chooses to use the center console 6 pin, this is the connection that needs to be swapped for the Ďspareí cable behind the radio. In my case, only the Ďspareí existed, unplugged. So where do these satellite wires end up if not behind the radio? I don't believe that the mediabridge can even use the satellite radio wiring instead of the CD Changer wiring, correct?

- My current best plan is to assume that, first, I donít need a coax connection for my 2010, and second, the CD-SDARS cable in the center console is in fact connected to the 'spare' CD-SDARS cable currently plugged in to the back of the radio, and can safely be used to connect the media bridge. My problem is that there is no 3 pin cable - from what I understand, the 3 pin cable is comprised of a power, a ground and an ibus wire. Iím hoping that if i can find another ibus wire anywhere in the console, i can simply tap the connection. Iím guessing that there is an ibus wire going up into the phone cradle area, but havenít been able to find any kind of pinout diagram or wiring guide, hence that first question up above. I've looked at the WDS diagram at BMW-Planet, but either I'm interpreting the diagrams incorrectly, or once again, the 2010's are an outlier case that doesn't match up.

I'm crossing my fingers that either I can:

1 - fashion a 3pin adapter with flying leads, tap into ibus / power / ground from other wires in the armrest, connect the CD-SDARS 6 pin, and be good to go.

OR

2 - somehow use the cargo area 6 pin and 3 pin connectors, even though I can't seem to determine if these are for satellite radio, if they're plugged in, or loose somewhere else besides behind the radio.

Sorry about the book, wanted to be super thorough as to not waste anyones time! I appreciate any help, or if someone knows another member to talk to or maybe a shop to call for more info (there was a 'Tom @ EAS' that seemed to drop a lot of knowledge around forums a few years ago but not sure if he's around?) It's too bad that Audiovox didn't keep DICE's technical support after they were bought out, because going that route has been totally frustrating and fruitless! Thanks in advance for any info!
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2014, 11:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Literally three posts below yours

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=781427
Old 07-08-2014, 12:23 PM

Thanks man, though I did read that one post extensively before posting, i swear!

- Venkat differs from me in that his center console had a 6 pin AND a 3 pin connector, where I only have a 6 pin and NO 3 pin - which is really whats giving me the headache - if I had the 3 pin I feel like i'd have gotten it setup in 5 minutes, but here I am with only 1 of the 2 wires I need, which is why i think I should try out making my own 3 pin connection by finding alternate leads for ibus, power and ground in the loom for the eject box / phone cradle - I believe its my only hope at this point.

- Trust me, I tore that armrest console apart, looked deep into the chassis for any other cabling. There is nothing else down there, just a single 6 pin connector! Same with behind the radio - no spare felt wrapped wire bundle with a 6/3, just a single 6 taped back to the factory harness loom. I have found other 2010 owners reach the same frustrating conclusion.

- The wire in the console and behind the radio are labeled CD-SDARS. You mentioned that the SDARS cable was for sirius, just to be clear - is that the same as 'CD-SDARS' or is there another cable with just 'SDARS'? This has been a big point of confusion for me because I keep finding conflicting info about SDARS / SARS / CD-SDARS, etc. Do you think its safe to assume that the wire in the console labeled CD-SDARS and the wire behind the radio labeled CD-SDARS are the same?

- My intuition tells me that the 6 pin cables are essentially identical in terms of wiring, its just a matter of where they're routed to/from that makes them application specific. i.e. You could repurpose any 6 pin cable as long as its plugged in to the "correct" (CD Changer) connections on the radio harness, right?

Thanks in advance, again!

Last edited by RX_X3; 07-08-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:17 PM

Is it possibly you are prewired for SDARS but not CDC? From the factory the CDC should be wired up to thje rarest area with both power/ibus and audio.

Get your build sheet here.
http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html
Quote:
- The wire in the console and behind the radio are labeled CD-SDARS. You mentioned that the SDARS cable was for sirius, just to be clear - is that the same as 'CD-SDARS' or is there another cable with just 'SDARS'? This has been a big point of confusion for me because I keep finding conflicting info about SDARS / SARS / CD-SDARS, etc. Do you think its safe to assume that the wire in the console labeled CD-SDARS and the wire behind the radio labeled CD-SDARS are the same?
Honestly I don't remember, if I have CD-SDARS or just SDARS.
Quote:
- My intuition tells me that the 6 pin cables are essentially identical in terms of wiring, its just a matter of where they're routed to/from that makes them application specific. i.e. You could repurpose any 6 pin cable as long as its plugged in to the "correct" (CD Changer) connections on the radio harness, right?
Correct.
Quote:
In the cargo area near the nav dvd unit and car bluetooth, there was only a single wrapped bundle of unlabeled wires, with a 6 pin connector, a 3 pin connector
There's your answer. A nav car would have the CDC in the trunk.

The three pin connector is GND (Brown), iBus (Red/White/Yellow), Batt (Red).
The 6 pin connector with 4 cables of twisted pair audio is the CD-SDARS to the HU.
The 12 pin with twisted pair audio is from the SDARS to the armrest.

Make your Mediabridge connections in the trunk. You don't need the DSP adaptor.

Here's the SDARS module.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:36 PM

Thanks a bunch for that link to the build sheet generator! It seems like my car has S693A, prewiring for satellite radio, and S639A, prep wiring for mobile phone, but I don't see prewiring for a CD changer anywhere... That being the case, am I just totally out of luck for wiring the media bridge? Or is it possible to somehow hotwire this thing? Was thinking I might be able to rewire the 6/3 for satellite into the cd changer connection on the harness side... Would that even be possible?
Old 07-09-2014, 02:36 PM

Went out and took another look at the wiring, took some photos. I was wrong about one thing - the CD-SDARS cable that was disconnected behind the radio in the dash isn't a 6 pin, its a 12 pin. Another difference from the wiring you mentioned is that these have 3 wires, not 4.

Here is a shot of the harness out of the back of the radio. When i compare this to what i'm finding on google images and it doesn't exactly seem to be 'standard'. The connector in the top right corner is the 12 pin CD-SDARS that was taped back to the loom. Note that the 12 pin has 3 wires inserted, being Red/White, Blue/White, and Brown/White. IF there was a CD Changer connection to be made in this harness, where would it be? Just different pins in that top right plug area? One of the empty slots in the bottom left?

Here is a shot of the cable bundle in the cargo area. Like i said, a 6 pin, 3 pin, 12 pin and Fakra. Both the 6 pin and 12 pin have 3 wires only, and seem to be identical sets of Red/White, Blue/White and Brown/White. I'm really confused about where the 12 pin and 6 pin cables are terminating - specifically, which connector is attached to the 12 pin that was behind the radio?

Finally, here is the lone 6 pin connector from the armrest, labeled CD-SDARS. Note again that the wire colors are exactly the same as the cable behind the radio and in the trunk: Red/White, Blue/White, Brown/White. I'm confused as to where this cable is terminating as well.

I just think its weird that I've got 3 different connections in the vehicle all sharing the same wiring colors: a 6 pin in the armrest, a 6 pin in the cargo area, and a 12 pin in the cargo area, yet it seems that there is only a single set of matching wires behind my radio - so the question is, which one IS behind my radio, and where are the other two? I'm not sure I understand why the 12 pin in the cargo area would go to the 6 pin in the armrest...

IF i'm screwed because i lack the CD Changer prewiring, then i think my only remaining option is to relocate the wires on the harness to where they would be IF it was a CD Changer, then try to determine which of the 3 connection points the wires are attached to, and repurpose them for the Mediabridge. In essence, I would be modifying the satellite prewiring to instead serve as CD Changer prewiring.

First order of business would be to determine which pins on my radio harness would be used for a CD Changer, if they exist. And then I guess I would need to know if its really that simple - would the car need to be 'programmed' to recognize these new CD Changer connections, or would just moving the wires to the right pins do the job? Thanks!

Last edited by RX_X3; 07-09-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:58 PM

From left to right
6 pin CD-SDARS to HU
Fakra SDARS antenna
3 pin Power GND iBUS
12 pin to armrest area

Plug in the Mediabridge at the rear of the car and test to confirm.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:57 PM

Cool I'll give it a try. Just to be clear though - if my build sheet says I don't have cd changer prewiring, isn't this going to put the media bridge on the satellite inputs on the radio? Was under the impression it had to be on the cd changer input, but I'll give it a shot if you think it won't matter.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:03 PM

You'll be fine.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:32 PM

Thanks a ton man, it worked!

So, just for posterity for all the others out there who seemed to have the same issues with their 2010's or lacking the prewiring for a CD Changer.

- Most of the DICE instructions I see out there really seem to specify that you need to use the CD Changer prewiring. This isn't really the case - what you seem to need is any 6 pin audio connector and then the 3 pin ibus cable with the brown ground cable on the outside. The only incorrect wiring you could potentially hook into is the PHONE 3 pin, with the brown ground in the middle pin. I was confused because I thought the two connections were exclusive - I was under the impression I HAD to use the armrest 6 pin because that was for the CD Changer while the cargo 6 pin was for sirius, and it wouldn't work - and it totally did - so don't stress about CD Changer or Sirius, you just need a 6 pin and a 3 pin, to/from anywhere.

- Post 2006 DSP cars, do not in fact need a DSP adapter. All of the compatibility checking out there for these devices told me I did need it. It's awesome I spent $60 on something I don't need! Audiovox should really include something in the documentation to disclose that...

- Another thing worth mentioning is that I wanted to use the Mediabridge for an iPod and Bluetooth A2DP streaming from my phone, while retaining the stock BMW bluetooth for phone calls. I'm still playing with it, but so far it seems to 'kind of' work, at least with an iPhone. Outgoing calls work exactly as I'd like them to - even the steering wheel voice control button still works as intended. Incoming calls are different, if you're listening to music over A2DP when a phone call comes in, it defaults to use the HFP (hands free profile) BT on the Mediabridge. You can tap the audio source button on the phone and switch it to the BMW HFP BT before answering, but i'm trying to find a way to force it to default to always use the BMW HFP for calls and Mediabridge A2DP for music, will post a solution if I figure something out. Would be really awesome if they just updated the firmware to allow users to toggle phone functions on or off!

Anyway, thanks again!
Old 07-10-2014, 01:51 PM

Good news!
Old 07-30-2015, 12:52 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi
Why can't my X3 work as easily as this one?

Sad face

... "someone who makes noises for a living" [Un-named software engineer at Electronic Arts]

Me :