Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-07-2013, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi
DICE MediaBridge & DSP Adapter

Hi Guys,

We have a 2006 X3 with the Logic 7 Sound System (***UPDATE *** this is a non digital In/Out Head Unit) and a sub. (No Navigation, No CD changer, No Sirius Satellite Radio Option, prewired for Phone) It's probably the best / cleanest car stereo I've heard in a while, it's not incredibly loud, but it's a really balanced sound with detailed treble and balanced mid/lows. We bought the car used, and being a recording/mixing audio engineer for a living, I immediately noticed how great it sounded.

Anyway, I wanted to install the Dice/AudioVox Mediabridge bluetooth system in this car. I tested the Mediabridge in my 2002 325xi and it worked well.

Moving back to the X3, I can't quite understand the wiring (which is odd, as I've wired probably half a dozen recording studios thus far analog/digital/etc). I'm usually pretty okay with wiring stuff but this one has me stumped...

Near the rear amp (driver's side back panel) there are 3 coax FAKRA digital inputs hangin out in the back(and no visibility as to where they go). You can't really have 3 digital inputs without some kind of switching so I'm confused. I didn't see a 3 pin or 6 pin connector there either. *** UPDATE - the coax is prewiring for the mobile phone ONLY***

In the front there is a 3 pin and a 6 pin connector

When I hooked up the mediabridge in the front, I got everything working except audio (as expected) - which implies the DSP is needed. I have't bought it yet, but even after viewing the install videos on DSP, I don't get where the mediabridge would live and how to wire it with this setup.

***UPDATE - this is incorrect - there is no DSP needed according to BMW service techs***

Help ?

**UPDATE** Found the coax FAKRA cable under the metal part 2.5 years later ! But it's for a cell

... "someone who makes noises for a living" [Un-named software engineer at Electronic Arts]

Me :

Last edited by thefys; Yesterday at 12:40 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2013, 07:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefys View Post
Hi Guys,

We have a 2006 X3 with the Logic 7 Sound System (pretty sure it's DSP) and a sub. It's probably the best / cleanest car stereo I've heard in a while, it's not incredibly loud, but it's a really balanced sound with detailed treble and balanced mid/lows. We bought the car used and being a recording engineer for a living, I immediately noticed how great it sounded.

Anyway, I wanted to install the Dice/AudioVox Mediabridge bluetooth system in this car. I tested the Mediabridge in my 2002 325xi and it worked well.

Moving back to the X3, I can't quite understand the wiring (which is odd, as I've wired probably half a dozen recording studios thus far analog/digital/etc). I'm usually pretty okay with wiring stuff but this one has me stumped...

The rear amp has what appears to be 3 coax digital inputs (and no visibility as to where they go). You can't really have 3 digital inputs without some kind of switching so I'm confused. I didn't see a 3 pin or 6 pin connector there either.

In the front there is a 3 pin and a 6 pin connector

When I hooked up the mediabridge in the front, I got everything working except audio (as expected) - which implies the DSP is needed. I have't bought it yet, but even after viewing the install videos on DSP, I don't get where the mediabridge would live and how to wire it with this setup.

Help ?
Do you have a CD changer and/or satellite radio?
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 09-08-2013, 08:13 AM

There is no CD changer and no satellite radio

... "someone who makes noises for a living" [Un-named software engineer at Electronic Arts]

Me :
Old 09-08-2013, 08:48 AM

According to page 12 in the AudioVox manual

http://audiovox.diceelectronics.com/..._rev012012.pdf

The coax and 3pin must be in the front area (marked X) but I found both the 3pin and the 6 pin there! Is it possible I just didn't find the coax and it's *also* there ? That seems odd, if that's the case...

**UPDATE** Found the coax FAKRA cable under the metal part 2.5 years later ! But it's for cell phone!

Me :

Last edited by thefys; 07-30-2015 at 02:36 PM. Reason: new info
Old 09-15-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
According to page 12 in the AudioVox manual

http://audiovox.diceelectronics.com/..._rev012012.pdf

The coax and 3pin must be in the front area (marked X) but I found both the 3pin and the 6 pin there! Is it possible I just didn't find the coax and it's *also* there ? That seems odd, if that's the case...
Did you purchase the DSP adapter PN: A-ACC-BMW-DSP ?
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 09-15-2013, 12:49 PM

I haven't gotten the dsp adapter yet. I don't see the point in purchasing it if I can't sort out the wiring before hand.

**UPDATE** Bought the proper DSP Adaptor (Analog to digital converter. Wired it up. Still no audio

Me :

Last edited by thefys; Yesterday at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I haven't gotten the dsp adapter yet. I don't see the point in purchasing it if I can't sort out the wiring before hand.
Ok. I am thinking you don't have the correct 6 pin connector found under the center console.

1. Did you use the 3 and 6 pin connectors found under the center console carpet (under the metal bracket)?
2. The 6 pin cable must be labeled CD SDARS

Jeff
Old 09-16-2013, 09:00 PM

cables?

[QUOTE=jdeday;7841490]Ok. I am thinking you don't have the correct 6 pin connector found under the center console.

*** There is only one 6-pin connector in the armrest and it goes directly to the back of teh head unit - currently plugged in***

1. Did you use the 3 and 6 pin connectors found under the center console carpet (under the metal bracket)?

Yes -

2. The 6 pin cable must be labeled CD SDARS

No there was no lebelling there - the 6-pin goes directly to the back of the HU and is the only cable that is an ipnut to the head unit. there are no other cables there

Me :

Last edited by thefys; Yesterday at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
The first set of cables (3 FAKRA coax and a 54 pin connector) are the phone prewiring. The car is prewired for sirius (SDARDS) and CD.

The default cabling for the CDC goes to the armrest. There is a second set of identical CDC cables that go to the trunk first. Should you wish to have SDARS you would use the rear connectors for the SDARS and an additional third cable set goes to the armrest for the CDC. In that configuration it is necessary to remove the radio, locate the audio cables for the SDARS that are tabled to the loom, and switch them out for the ones that are used for the default configuration.

For your Mediabridge you can either use the CDC connectors in the armrest area since they are currently plugged into the radio, or the ones in the trunk and adjust the wiring behind the radio.

Last edited by joylove; 09-17-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:19 PM

Check out these installation instructions for the CD changer. The Mediabridge is using the same connections, this may help you out.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...52288139,d.dmg
Old 09-17-2013, 09:13 PM

Super helpful thank you
Pretinent images below for anyone else who needs a quick look

*** UPDATE*** the CDC (CD Changer) harness in my case only has two connectors. The 3 pin (power) and the 6 pin (analog in to the HU)

Me :

Last edited by thefys; Yesterday at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:53 PM

How did you make out with the onstall?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-27-2014, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: E39 M5
"Thefys" I have those same exact connectors at the exact same places and I also have the exact same no sound problem. Looking to those cd changer installation guide didn't help me. How did you solved the problem?
Old 04-28-2014, 11:55 PM

Step one, ignore the phone connections you found.

Step two, try to find out if the audio for the CD changer is routed to the trunk or the armrest. The answer in the back of the book is that it's in the armrest.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:01 AM

In the armrest, I only found a 3 pins and a 6 pins connectors, and with those 2, I can see the songs names on the radio but no sound. In the trunk close to the amplifier, there is no 3 pins or 6 pins connectors at all.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:48 AM

Ok so the next think to do is have a look at the back of the radio to see if there has been some modifications to the wiring and the CDC audio pins are hanging loose.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:29 AM

Already looked. No mods have been made in the back of the radio. The 12pins white connector is plugged in and there is no other 12 pins (black or white) unplugged there. I'm thinking that it's maybe about this white 12pins pinout. Do somebody have information about this?
Old 04-29-2014, 06:34 PM

Here's the pinout.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE2ZYC View Post
In the armrest, I only found a 3 pins and a 6 pins connectors, and with those 2, I can see the songs names on the radio but no sound. In the trunk close to the amplifier, there is no 3 pins or 6 pins connectors at all.
Do you have DSP? If so there should be a coax connector in the center arm rest.

Jeff
Old 06-02-2014, 04:47 AM

There is realy no coax at all. I'm guessing a wrong wirering pinout, so i'll try to trick it to see.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:55 AM

Can someone remind me what's going on in here? I think all we are looking for is the correct 6 pin analogue audio connector which is either located in the trunk or the armrest?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Going to resurrect this old thread to hopefully help others. Will update with hopefully good results.

My set-up:

2006 X3
No DSP
No CD Changer
No SatNav
Bluetooth option

Only connectors I found so far are in the back-left trunk area but I'm not getting any sound, only display from the MediaBridge via USB.

Looking at that PDF, I suspect the wires I need are in the center console, but I need to unscrew it first and I don't have the right tools to get to the bolts and screws in the back of the arm rest. Going to take it to my local car audio place tomorrow and hopefully they can help me out for not too much.

Attaching pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0217.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	495649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0219.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	495650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0218.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	495651   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0220.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	495652  
Old 03-03-2015, 08:54 PM

Center console requires no tools that I remember to get to the digital connection. Open it up and pull the black inner liner straight up.

You will need to fish your hands to the bottom to find a Velcro wrapped connector. Be careful very sharp metal.

Last edited by x3brian; 03-03-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:40 PM

I found and unwrapped two sets of cables but they were already hooked up and the wrong kind that would connect to the MediaBridge. I was thinking there might be more cords under the metal parts (everything's zip-tied down), so I wanted to take the whole center console off and get underneath which I don't have the tools for.

What's made this stranger is that my display for the Mediabridge works when connected to the iPhone via USB, but the bluetooth isn't showing up on my phone as an option at all. Only the bluetooth that the car came with is listed. The plot thickens...
Old 03-09-2015, 05:46 AM

In my X3 the cable set were under the metal part. I didn't had to remove the whole center consol to get them. I'm still able to connect, charge the phone, change the songs but I have no sound at all.