Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Young Grasshopper

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
Question OBDII Code Scanner

Hi, folks.

Iíve been perusing the forum pretty extensively and the consensus seems to convey that the best Code scanner is the Creator C110. (Mind you, in my case Iím talking about an í08 X3).

The problem is that all threads seem to be somewhat old and I wonder whether this is still the best option. The newest version I found on ebay is V3.8. Would that be the best buy? Joylove, are you there? You seem to be the authority in this regard.

The C110 states that it covers BMW models up to 2008 and the C310 from 1997 up to 2013. With my car being on the very last year of the C110ís range I wonder if I wouldnít be better off with the newer one. Problem is that I havenít found any reliable info on the later.

I wish we could add some info on ODBII scanners on the stickies because it seems to be something that comes up regularly.

Thank you guys.
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
C110 works on my E83 2008, including to the N52 DME.

Not sure what C310 adds, possibly KCAN (Higher speed communications for the later models), possibly live graphing, but no definitive information online.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:27 PM
Young Grasshopper

Thank you joylove.

I guess that it's not worth the risk of trying the 310 when the 110 is confirmed to work properly. In any case I do not tinker extensively with the car, I just want to know what is going on when my wife (it's her car) complains that a random light in the dashboard has gone off. For that I believe the older one should be OK.

She mainly commutes within town and I suspect the battery doesn't have enough time to recharge completely so a couple of times we've got random lights pop on and go off to never appear again. Still, I want to know for sure.

Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:31 PM

Mein Auto: E60, X5
Once you get C310, plug it into the computer and update it. my friend have one for over a year and has a few updates.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Young Grasshopper

Thumbs up Got it!

Thank you Kevin777.

I wound up getting the C310 despite the recommendations pro C110 and Iím happy with it. Just got it early this week.

It came with 4.7 software but I donít think Iím going to upgrade it anytime soon because we are a fully Apple home and they only seem to do Windows executables for software upgrades.

So far Iíve got a "2F71 Electronics box-fan activation" code and I reset a more worrisome "2A98 Crankshaft-inlet camshaft, referenceĒ that has been triggering the EML light intermittently in the last couple of weeks. VANOS? Time to put that extended warranty to test now.