Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to alichak
Mein Auto: BMW X3 2004 2.5i
my experience with power steering flush

Folks,

I own a high mileage (143K) 2004 BMW X3 with 2.5i engine. Previous owners most probably never did any serious maintenance so I was up to a lot of jobs here and there

now back to the main story that I thought I could share....

I did a power steering flush 6 months ago and I actually did flush the power steering liquid twice, with Red Line D4 ATF http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=51&pcid=9 and although the amount of noise reduced substantially, it never fully went away and somehow I got used to it.....

a week ago, one of my friends picked up my car and drove it somewhere while I was home, and thus for the first time I heard the car being driven while I was sitting 10 meters away from and wow, I noticed that it actually makes a serious high pitch noise........

and being me, obsessed with details, I couldn't help but try to figure out something different this time to make the noise go away.

then I came to know something called lubegard power steering protectant http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-218/LUBE...uid+Protectant which seemed to be something of a working snake oil so I told myself I'm going to give this one a try.

so I went, flushed as much of PS oil as possible, then topped it off with the lubegard PS protectant, and then poured some extra Red Lone D4 ATF to level the fluid in the reservoir. As usual, I turned on the car and moved the steering lock to lock a couple of times and to my amazement, after 5 or 6 turns, noise almost disappeared.

Based on what I heard with my own ears and what I read preiously, I think Lubegard is a heck of real working stuff! worth spending 8 dollars.

P.S: in my area (Madison, WI) I could only find it from NAPA, and I wanted to try it ASAP so didn't order online... but I can see it is being sold on Amazon for even cheaper. Now I'm even thinking of topping of tranny oil with this Synthetic Whale sperm oil!
Ads by Google
Old 06-10-2014, 07:22 AM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Lubegard is indeed top notch stuff. I know if a transmission rebuilder that puts Lubeguard in very tranny that goes out the door.

I have a 07 X3 that requires a specific fluid. My first thoughts were that you used the wrong fluid, but I don't know what '04s require.