Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2.0d X3, E90 M3 on Order
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540gone View Post
My last post on this thread was apparently not politically correct as it was deleted almost immediately after posting. But you will note that of the 324 toal posts on this thread, 81 have been posted by Evlengr. In my opinion, this does not appear to be representitive of the many thousand satisfied X-3 owners who may or may not have real or perceived problems with their transmission, but rather a personal vendetta against BMW. My suggestion that enough is enough was apparently not appreciated.

Again, in my opinion, this continued bashing does not appear in the best interest of the information (as oppossed to vitriol) this forum is intended to share. Rather than deleting the post of one who questions this continued harrassment, the moderator might be advised to consider those of us who participate in these forums to gather real information.

Cheers, Bob
Excellent point. Have a nice weekend everyone!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
My last post on this thread was apparently not politically correct as it was deleted almost immediately after posting. But you will note that of the 324 toal posts on this thread, 81 have been posted by Evlengr. In my opinion, this does not appear to be representitive of the many thousand satisfied X-3 owners who may or may not have real or perceived problems with their transmission, but rather a personal vendetta against BMW. My suggestion that enough is enough was apparently not appreciated.

Again, in my opinion, this continued bashing does not appear in the best interest of the information (as oppossed to vitriol) this forum is intended to share. Rather than deleting the post of one who questions this continued harrassment, the moderator might be advised to consider those of us who participate in these forums to gather real information.

Cheers, Bob
Actually what you don't see is the 27 seperate PM's I have from people that are afraid to openly post for fear of being flamed by some "enthusiasts". These people have all had their vehicles replaced or bought back. So yes I have many posts on this thread, but this website is about helping other BMW owners. I am glad that I could help these folks in one fashion or another. If my constant barrage bothers you don't read them. There are plenty of other threads, and I like BMW's just not the one's with the GM6 transmission. You will notice I "respectfully disagree" with many people and many "respectfully disagree" with me. But neither stooped to your level.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:42 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0sd M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueX5 View Post
I was waiting at a busy intersection to turn left in the X3. There was no light, and I was waiting at least 7 minutes when I finally found a small gap in the traffic. I floored the gas all the way, and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! After a second and a half, I completely lifted my foot up, and only then did I lurch forward into the path of a Ford Explorer. So back on the gas, and with just a tap I launch like a bat of of hell, complete with tire squeal. Only tapping the gas.

The X3 will be visiting the dealer shortly.

btw Evlengr: have you considered the Tiguan?
I think part of the problem people have when trying to make it into small gaps in traffic is due to the gearbox normally wanting to set off in 2nd gear. So if you are stopped at a juntion the gearbox will be in 2nd, if you then floor the pedal the 'box will firstly try to change to 1st before it moves, hence an inevitable delay whilst it changes down. In the above case after he lifted his foot up the car would then have been in 1st gear and would really shift when the gas was re-applied.
Although I have none of the severe problems mentioned here, probably due to my X3 being a 3.0sd diesel so the engine/gearbox software will be different, I usually knock it into SD if I know I need to make a quick start, then knock it back to D when appropriate.
I don't think any auto box is really designed for sudden instantaneous full throttle without some delay. Even the twin clutch DSG 'box in my Audi TT would hesitate if I gave it full throttle to overtake, so I used to use the manual override if I knew I needed instant power.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:55 AM

Good idea, but not always correct.

I believe your hypothesis is correct with the second gear since I know it starts off in second gear.

However, up until this vehicle I have never had to "Adapt" my driving techniques" to such a degree that they were/are unique to all other cars proceeding it. That seems a little bit ludicrous to have to change shift modes every time you enter an intersection or merge. Don't you think?

Automatics are in fact used for drag racing and the fastest car I ever owned, a 71 GTO was an automatic. This technique was used as a gas saver imo and puts people at undue risk. The average soccor Mom that may drive this is not going to know to have split second timing and slap it into SD or tip in with the gas pedal at the last second.

Last edited by Evlengr; 04-05-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueX5 View Post
I was waiting at a busy intersection to turn left in the X3. There was no light, and I was waiting at least 7 minutes when I finally found a small gap in the traffic. I floored the gas all the way, and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! After a second and a half, I completely lifted my foot up, and only then did I lurch forward into the path of a Ford Explorer. So back on the gas, and with just a tap I launch like a bat of of hell, complete with tire squeal. Only tapping the gas.
The first software upgrade my X3 received fixed this safety problem. It is very disappointing that this was not done on recall as it is a serious flaw.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:

Cheers, Bob
Thats easy for you to say if you don't own a substandard X3. There are lots of happy threads for those that do. We have "real" information and are still awaiting a "real" solution from BMW.
Cheers,
Old 04-05-2008, 08:45 AM
HMFIC

Mein Auto: 2002 ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3nick View Post
I think part of the problem people have when trying to make it into small gaps in traffic is due to the gearbox normally wanting to set off in 2nd gear. So if you are stopped at a juntion the gearbox will be in 2nd, if you then floor the pedal the 'box will firstly try to change to 1st before it moves, hence an inevitable delay whilst it changes down. In the above case after he lifted his foot up the car would then have been in 1st gear and would really shift when the gas was re-applied.
Although I have none of the severe problems mentioned here, probably due to my X3 being a 3.0sd diesel so the engine/gearbox software will be different, I usually knock it into SD if I know I need to make a quick start, then knock it back to D when appropriate.
I don't think any auto box is really designed for sudden instantaneous full throttle without some delay. Even the twin clutch DSG 'box in my Audi TT would hesitate if I gave it full throttle to overtake, so I used to use the manual override if I knew I needed instant power.
I'm pretty sure my X3 doesn't start in 2nd gear. I've counted the gear changes numerous times. It does start in second if I use Manual mode.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
all auto 04-06s did start in 2nd... I was pretty sure my 07 did too. it was to help save gas and keep the MPG numbers up on the window sticker.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 04-05-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Good idea, but not always correct.

I believe your hypothesis is correct with the second gear since I know it starts off in second gear.

However, up until this vehicle I have never had to "Adapt" my driving techniques" to such a degree that they were/are unique to all other cars proceeding it. That seems a little bit ludicrous to have to change shift modes every time you enter an intersection or merge. Don't you think?

Automatics are in fact used for drag racing and the fastest car I ever owned, a 71 GTO was an automatic. This technique was used as a gas saver imo and puts people at undue risk. The average soccor Mom that may drive this is not going to know to have split second timing and slap it into SD or tip in with the gas pedal at the last second.
I only change to SD if the junction if particularly busy and I know I'll have to make a really quick getaway to pull out, the rest of the time it's fine left in D, unless I want to play of course.
I agree that the best automatics can be as quick as a manual, in my TT the DSG box cut the 0-62 time from 5.9 to 5.7 and improved the fuel economy, but was still prone to some hesitation as it made up it's 'mind' what you wanted to do in certain circumstances, and some of the Porsche tiptronics are faster than their manual counterparts.
In the X3 I find that a smooth but rapid press of the accelerator is better than stamping on the gas, in terms of more speed and less hesitation.

The only time I get any jerky shifts are downshifts in SD if I'm braking hard, and then these are not that bad, just more noticeable.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:55 PM

I think the English ones just have better manners.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Your Wish Is Granted

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 MT
After the second update, my X3 was really good until the cold weather set in.
During the cold weather months, the jerky shifting returned and I also developed a nasty lifter tick which is common to the N52 I learned.

Now that the weather has warmed back up, my X3 is shifting perfectly! Go figure.
Also, the lifter tick has now disappeared. It started ticking in November and has ticked all winter.

It will be interesting to see if those of you that have received both updates but still have trans. trouble see improvement with warm weather.
The change for me with the warm weather is quite noticeable.

Also, originally I had hesitation and jerkyness. I have never experienced the total loss of acceleration some of you have experienced. Not all of these seem the same.
I also notice many of these reports mention the problem when making a turn.
This makes me wonder if some of these problems are steering angle sensor related.

So it seems the last fix doesn't work well in cold weather.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:03 PM

It seems that a common denominator is cold weather. All winter long my car jerked and snapped gears. As the car warmed over long ( I mean over an hour of driving) periods it smoothed out. Or, as the temperature maintained a 50 degree or higher level. The past few days we had some cold spells and low and behold; the bad-mannered transmission is back.

I have noticed over the past year that those that voiced there dissatifaction were either in cold climates, traveling into cold weather. or had very short commutes that prohibited a "warming period". There are exceptions of course to any hypothesis, but this seems to be a constant in the formula.

Part of the reason I buy an suv is because my profession requires we are available in the worst weather 24/7. My Porsche and Rx-7 behaved better in cold weather.

Anyone else notice this trend?
Old 04-06-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie57 View Post
I'll ask the dealer I've ordered our X3 from. Certainly the 3 examples we have driven here (a 2.5i, a 3.0d and a 2.0d) have shown none of the issues you guys are having.
Quote:
I think the English ones just have better manners.
The answer I got was that the petrol engined cars have GM transmissions but the diesels are ZF. Bye....!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:19 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i, X3 3.0i
Quote:
It seems that a common denominator is cold weather. All winter long my car jerked and snapped gears. As the car warmed over long ( I mean over an hour of driving) periods it smoothed out. Or, as the temperature maintained a 50 degree or higher level. The past few days we had some cold spells and low and behold; the bad-mannered transmission is back.

I have noticed over the past year that those that voiced there dissatifaction were either in cold climates, traveling into cold weather. or had very short commutes that prohibited a "warming period". There are exceptions of course to any hypothesis, but this seems to be a constant in the formula.

Part of the reason I buy an suv is because my profession requires we are available in the worst weather 24/7. My Porsche and Rx-7 behaved better in cold weather.

Anyone else notice this trend?
It also happens to my friend's just picked up 08 X3. And the temperature here is about 75 degrees. That's another exception to your hypothesis. My question is that if BMW thinks the software upgrade is the solution, why don't they implement that in the newly built cars?

Last edited by mkh; 04-06-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
I, too, have noticed that many have mentioned this. Since reading those I've paid particular attention to how mine has shifted over the past month with temps reaching down into the 20's and up to around 60F. I've noted no difference whatsoever. It could the route I travel however. I start out using SD for engine braking down a 300yard long hill with a 20mph/30kph speed limit. Then a short flat spell and then up and down hills for the next 7 miles. Maybe the engine braking is enough to warm mine up and I don't get a chance to notice it. . However, leaving work after it sits all day doesn't change anything, and I start out with one mile of flat straight road. Mine still shifts the same as it did when I picked it up 1900 miles ago. Build 09/07.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:20 AM

GM6 is your Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
It also happens to my friend's just picked up 08 X3. And the temperature here is about 75 degrees. That's another exception to your hypothesis. My question is that if BMW thinks the software upgrade is the solution, why don't they implement that in the newly built cars?
Well that shoots that idea. Sometimes if you have a narrowed down instance with a problem it is easier to replicate and fix.

Why don't they implement it? Well because, "There is No Problem Found" according to BWMNA.

I finally got to drive an X5, that does not have the GM6 transmission. It behaves the same way all the other non-GM6 transmissions drive. GREAT! If the GM6 is so great why don't they use it in the newly designed X6 or they older X5 or any other model than entry level BMW's?

The one common denominator in all instances is the GM6 transmission. Since there are more non-GM6 X3's on the road, there should be more problems reported if it isnt the transmission, right?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
I finally got to drive an X5, that does not have the GM6 transmission. It behaves the same way all the other non-GM6 transmissions drive. GREAT! If the GM6 is so great why don't they use it in the newly designed X6 or they older X5 or any other model than entry level BMW's?
I don't understand why the X5 gets a different tranny either. It is the same engine right? Maybe it has to do with vehicle weight.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Red face

Quote:

Cheers, Bob
Sorry, Bob, but you couldn't possibly be more wrong.
These forums are to share all information, good and bad, not just what you want to hear.

The X3 transmission issues are real and are 100% completely legitimate topics to speak about. I've personally found Evlengr to be an informed, thoughtful poster and am glad he shares his experiences and insights around the problem. It's really the whole point of a forum discussion environment.

One concession was made a while ago to lump all the discussion about the X3's transmission problems into one sticky thread rather than multiple threads. You can also put Evlengr or anyone else you're tired of hearing from on an ignore list. Both ways allow you to censor what you'll read without forcing editorial preferences on others.

Last edited by Sans Nil; 04-07-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:53 PM
FORMER X3 *****

Mein Auto: former x3 owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sans Nil View Post
Sorry, Bob, but you couldn't possibly be more wrong.
These forums are to share all information, good and bad, not just what you want to hear.

The X3 transmission issues are real and are 100% completely legitimate topics to speak about. I've personally found Evlengr to be an informed, thoughtful poster and am glad he shares his experiences and insights around the problem. It's really the whole point of a forum discussion environment.

One concession was made a while ago to lump all the discussion about the X3's transmission problems into one sticky thread rather than multiple threads. You can also put Evlengr or anyone else you're tired of hearing from on an ignore list. Both ways allow you to censor what you'll read without forcing editorial preferences on others.
+11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

This is basically what I posted last week to Bob's original email but like his, my response got deleted.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
1st time to dealer (Fields BMW, Daytona Beach) in Oct 07 (650 miles), performed SIB 240807, was ok for a few weeks, then back to usual hesitation upon acceleration from dead stop. Took to another BMW dealer (Coggin BMW) in Dec 07 (2,000 miles) with same complaint, dealer told me there were no further updates and that the transmission is "learning." I find it hard to believe that a BMW (with now 8K miles) takes nearly 6 months to "learn" the driver's habits. Are there any more software updates to be had before a third time to the dealer?
Old 04-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
Chrisus: please read the entire sticky here. There are currently no more updates because according to BMW, there is NO PROBLEM.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 04-07-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie57 View Post
The answer I got was that the petrol engined cars have GM transmissions but the diesels are ZF. Bye....!
Just been hunting around the net and it looks like it's right, my X3 3.0sd should have a ZF 6HP28 gearbox not a GM one.

Actually, looking at the data sheet link on the GM transmissions, they would not take the torque from the diesel engine.

I don't know what 'box the 3.0 petrol uses over here, not many around anyway, the most common is the 2.0d.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2007 3.0si AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisusnret View Post
1st time to dealer (Fields BMW, Daytona Beach) in Oct 07 (650 miles), performed SIB 240807, was ok for a few weeks, then back to usual hesitation upon acceleration from dead stop. Took to another BMW dealer (Coggin BMW) in Dec 07 (2,000 miles) with same complaint, dealer told me there were no further updates and that the transmission is "learning." I find it hard to believe that a BMW (with now 8K miles) takes nearly 6 months to "learn" the driver's habits. Are there any more software updates to be had before a third time to the dealer?
kjboyd is right, read through this sticky, you will be as update as you can be re: the 2007-08 transmission woes. Unfortunately, this thread has grew rather big now, but still, I believe no other BMW forums gives you better representation of the latest X3 development as this site. And similar to your situation, my last update was October 2007 and after an extensive 2 day testing last week, they say my X3 is "performing as designed", see my earlier post with the same name. Though my problem is less to do with "hesitation" which I think has something to do with the "drive by wire" design, it's mainly about the herky jerky shifting. And also about the power deliver NOT being at all "linear" to the accelerator input.

We often hear "the transmission is learning". What it is learning exactly, I am not sure. All I know is as time passes after an update, it only gets WORST, not better.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3nick View Post
Just been hunting around the net and it looks like it's right, my X3 3.0sd should have a ZF 6HP28 gearbox not a GM one.

Actually, looking at the data sheet link on the GM transmissions, they would not take the torque from the diesel engine.

I don't know what 'box the 3.0 petrol uses over here, not many around anyway, the most common is the 2.0d.
Reckon we'd find that most of the fundamentals of the RHD X3's would be much the same. Also interesting that 70% of the X5's sold in Australia these days are 3.0d's. I would imagine now that the 2.0d is available in the X3 that will be the case with them as well.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530ia
Is anyone having this transmission problem with the X3's in Canada? BMW sells the X3 3.0 (215hp) and the X3 3.0si (260hp) for 2008 MY. In the US, since 2007 MY you have only the 3.0si with the 260hp engine.