Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3 2007 3.0si AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by orvster View Post
Is anyone having this transmission problem with the X3's in Canada? BMW sells the X3 3.0 (215hp) and the X3 3.0si (260hp) for 2008 MY. In the US, since 2007 MY you have only the 3.0si with the 260hp engine.
I have heard other Canadians absolutely love their 2007/08 X3's, but my 07 3.0si AT is just horrible. It's a mess and getting worst. I used to be able to get by using D mode but now the disconnected power between shifts is making me sick. And yet, the dealer spending 2 days of extensive testing last week concludes its performing as designed. This is the worst transmission I have ever driven.. on any car.

Mechanically the si's are identical between Canada and US, just because they charge 25% more $ in retail price in Canada, they can afford to sell a lower margin 3.0i. ($5000 less)

Last edited by x3ml; 04-10-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
BMWNA corporate is sending out a master mechanic to meet with me------again. They initially said they had no complaints or service issues from me beyond November 2007 to my lawyer, however a corporate mechanic was supposed to have worked on my X3 on 01/28/08. I then produced documentation showing service three times after November as well as a copy of a letter detailing my disatisfaction.

Then low and behold they decided they must have made a mistake.

Draw your own conclusions.

A large percentage of my disatisfaction comes from BMWNA's constant shell game and subterfuge. As I have said many times, If they were up front and honest from the beginning most of the people they have lost as customers including myself would have been more tolerant. And, they would not have to be doing T/A or buying them back with back room deals and NDA.

Last edited by Evlengr; 04-10-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
A large percentage of my disatisfaction comes from BMWNA's constant shell game and subterfuge. As I have said many times, If they were up front and honest from the beginning most of the people they have lost as customers including myself would have been more tolerant. And, they would not have to be doing T/A or buying them back with back room deals and NDA.
+1...This was a major factor in my decision to pass on the E70, in favor of the ML320 CDI. When the X3 lease is up, I'l probably replace it with the GLK CDI.
2002 X5 (retired)
1999 Z3 (retired)
1990 535i (retired)
1986 528e (retired)
1978 733i (retired)
1977 320i (retired)
1974 2002tii (in storage)
1972 Bavaria (retired)
1970 2002 (retired)
Old 04-11-2008, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3
07 X3 Owner VERY HAPPY NOW

If anyone read my previous post I have got my back from dealer and Everthing is perfect now. The following is direct from my service write up.

Customer states the transmission seems to allow excessive engine braking. Also seems to be slow to accellerate from a stop.
Technician verified concern. Found hesitation when accellerating and hard downshift.
Found SIB 24-08-07 pertaining to issue.
Technician updated EGS programming and test drove vehicle.

I did not drive it long with the golf tee fix but it felt the same as it does now. Every time I stop on every restart no matter how fast or slow turning or not. This is how I think the X3 should react. If you read my post about the "Jake Brake Effect" that was cleared up with the golf tee fix and also with out using the golf tee fix with new reprogramming. If your haveing problems try the golf tee fix and see if it helps any.

I have 4 days driving about 87 miles, 2 48 degree F morning starts. I have driven the long way home to experince stop and go areas. Also I hit the off ramp let off gas and had use use the brake to stop this time.

I know some have said that it may "Relearn" so I will give it some move driving time. Hope it does't learn to be stuiped again.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
toasty warm and still awful

Quote:
It seems that a common denominator is cold weather. All winter long my car jerked and snapped gears. As the car warmed over long ( I mean over an hour of driving) periods it smoothed out. Or, as the temperature maintained a 50 degree or higher level. The past few days we had some cold spells and low and behold; the bad-mannered transmission is back.

I have noticed over the past year that those that voiced there dissatifaction were either in cold climates, traveling into cold weather. or had very short commutes that prohibited a "warming period". There are exceptions of course to any hypothesis, but this seems to be a constant in the formula.

Part of the reason I buy an suv is because my profession requires we are available in the worst weather 24/7. My Porsche and Rx-7 behaved better in cold weather.

Anyone else notice this trend?
75 degrees here and 07 X3 still jerky, unpredictable and dangerous.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2007 3.0si AT
Quote:
BMWNA corporate is sending out a master mechanic to meet with me------again.
Draw your own conclusions.
Evl, at this stage of the "game" (I am using your word here), if they still don't know what's the problem you are having, it's not their master mechanic they should be sending, it's their CEO. He only needs to drive their current "utimate driving machine".

What's happening here is that the decision makers are not motivated beyond the short term objectives of their own interests. eom.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:40 PM

There are now 18 complaints on the NHTSA the last four are filed in 2008 alone. So things are still unresolved.

As this website will help share information it will not influence BWMNA as they have turned deaf, dumb, and blind to the problems of the X3 AT GM6. Yes there are exceptions with the T/A and buy backs, but that does not mean it's resolved, just removed.

Please take the time to post on the NHTSA website as they CAN force BWMNA to recognize, repair (properly), or recall on this problem.

I am waiting for the M/M to say, "It's supposed to drive that way, or all awd's drive that way". So I can respond, "Great let's take a 530xi or X5 out for drive and see".

Last edited by Evlengr; 04-11-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:11 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
Lately I have noticed that if I start off in SD mode I can take off smoothly, instead of the usual lurch that I experience. Once I get going I shift back to D and continue to accelerate normally. Has anyone else experienced this? I still suffer from rough downshifts as I slow to a stop, and can almost avoid the brake pedal altogether. My issue with the AT is strictly a nuisance, and does not rise to the level of safety, as it does with some here. I'll be going in for an oil service soon, and will see about have having a reprogram done then.

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone
Old 04-12-2008, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: '07 X3, '03 Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ronnie View Post
Lately I have noticed that if I start off in SD mode I can take off smoothly, instead of the usual lurch that I experience. Once I get going I shift back to D and continue to accelerate normally. Has anyone else experienced this? I still suffer from rough downshifts as I slow to a stop, and can almost avoid the brake pedal altogether. My issue with the AT is strictly a nuisance, and does not rise to the level of safety, as it does with some here. I'll be going in for an oil service soon, and will see about have having a reprogram done then.
The SD is fun but the downshifts are very bumpy and the up-shifts hang too long--I find the downshifts in D are sometimes dangerously slow--on occasion it will down shift to one gear then one second later drop another gear--all using up time that is needed to get somewhere quick--it has caused an anxious moment or two--and yes it is difficult to take off smoothly in D--using SD to start smoothly then moving to D is not acceptable for any vehicle much less one that cost $45k. My Scheduled Maint is comming soon--I will see what that brings.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:34 AM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dug01 View Post
The SD is fun but the downshifts are very bumpy and the up-shifts hang too long--I find the downshifts in D are sometimes dangerously slow--on occasion it will down shift to one gear then one second later drop another gear--all using up time that is needed to get somewhere quick--it has caused an anxious moment or two--and yes it is difficult to take off smoothly in D--using SD to start smoothly then moving to D is not acceptable for any vehicle much less one that cost $45k. My Scheduled Maint is comming soon--I will see what that brings.
Thanks for the feeedback. You are right on.

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone
Old 04-13-2008, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 330Xi, Acura RDX, 968
This is from another recent thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelf View Post
If you test drive it and like it I think you will be fine, if you do not than you know because I think this transmission issue is actually an electronic throttle sensitivity issue. Most can handle the sensitive throttle and some can not.
Sorry Mike, If you really read most of the tranny posts--it is the LACK of throttle that is the problem. Please don't presume what the problem is, if you are one of the lucky ones that don't have it. I suggest you test drive it for at least a weekend. Spending $40K plus should be based on more than a 15 minute cruise. Thankfully I test drove several X3's.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530ia
At the dealer yesterday for test drives of both X3 models available in Canada. Still not convinced about wether the tranmission problem is a USA model programming or if anyone from Canada, with a Canadian vehicle, in our winter cold (-25C) has even experienced it. Some posts about how cold weather affects it. It is the same transmisison so what's wrong?

Prices: We have $3500/$4500 rebates on cash purchases but the price differences between Canada and USA are still a big spread. Would you pay $51K for a base X3 3.0si? One with feaures pushed 61K.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:26 PM

29 down now by my count from this website.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, '05 Tacoma
Uber Mechanic

Hey Evl

Here's hoping the top mechanic sees it your way this time. I know what it's like to have the tranny problem, and I know that there are a lot of quiet deals happening.....I just can't say how I know
Old 04-16-2008, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 A4 Avant
Quote:
Originally Posted by orvster View Post
At the dealer yesterday for test drives of both X3 models available in Canada. Still not convinced about wether the tranmission problem is a USA model programming or if anyone from Canada, with a Canadian vehicle, in our winter cold (-25C) has even experienced it. Some posts about how cold weather affects it. It is the same transmisison so what's wrong?

Prices: We have $3500/$4500 rebates on cash purchases but the price differences between Canada and USA are still a big spread. Would you pay $51K for a base X3 3.0si? One with feaures pushed 61K.
Hi, with the tranny when stone cold especially in our winters the gears may hold longer, so if you are lead foot the car will rev high in gear. A cold engine must be treated with a light foot anyway. I have left a parking garage in -25C and immediately entered a highway ramp and the engine was stone cold and wanted to rev. Just like in any other auto car ever, especially when cold an easing off of the gas pedal to prompt an up shift and a lighter foot does the trick and everything is fine until warmed a bit.

I personally would not pay 51K for a 3.0si. I have a 3.0i (same newer N52 engine as 3.0si or current 3 series) that has lower advertised power but I can find little real world difference in performance. I got mine last summer pretty nicely equipped (xenon, heated wheel, pano roof, activity pack et al, but no sport pack) for just under 50K (CDN) WITH tax in on the road. The dealer took over 5K off and extended the manufacturers warranty until 2013 and 160,000 backed my BWW Canada not a 3rd party. A closest equipped 3.0si in the states was still around 5K less but not worth importing after considering the total hassle of 13% duties, transport etc, etc. and resale of a US spec car later down the road.

Now, I am no lead-foot and prefer a balance of features for my driving experience, hence a good reason to love a BMW, but I suggest a test drive to be sure. Basically the 3.0i with premium pack is very much the same car as the si.

My one critique though is that I have always thought the ride on both my X3s a touch bouncy in the urban and winter worn city jungle, and if I could I would add a dash more compliance to the car, but just a little. Maybe the 2010s. Otherwise, a wonderful, wonderful car that is tough as nails for the winter set.

Formerly
2008 Mercedes B200 premium, autotronic
2007 X3 Premium, step
2005 X3 Premium, Manual
2004 BMW 320i, step
2003 Mini Cooper, 5 speed
2000 BMW 323i, 5 speed
1985 BMW 528e, 5 speed

Last edited by Mitch3672; 04-16-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: '08 X3 3.0 auto
Has anyone ever looked at the correlation factor between cars that were ordered vs those that where from dealer stock? Is there an identifiable trend ?

08 X3, Monaco Blue, Montana Grey Leather, Dark Grey Trim, Steptronic, Servotronic, Premium, Cold, Privacy Glass, Xenon, Heated Steering Wheel

Retired: 05 X3 3.0, Black Sapphire Metallic, Montana Grey Leather, Maple Sycamore Dark Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon, Heated Steering Wheel, Power Folding Mirrors, BMW Assist & Bluetooth
Old 04-17-2008, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 07 X3
I ordered my 07 in Jan. 07, it was a Feb. 07 build.
I have had all three sib's and I still have to drive it in M mode.
The AT still has the hesitation and jerkyness, along with holding gear without
up shifting going up hills !
Old 04-17-2008, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
The AT still has the hesitation and jerkyness, along with holding gear without
up shifting going up hills !
The gear holding on hills is intentional. All X3's have it.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: X3
back to the dealer

After writing a "take it back letter" to the dealer the new SM insisted in test driving it. I basically told him that it was pointless unless they had new software but I would play the game once more. I left the car there for a week. I picked it up on Saturday and one of the guys (service advisor??) said the adaptation software had been reset and the vehicle was better now. My blood started boiling as I know this is not an adaption software problem. I said, well, I don't drive jerky so why would it adapt to that? Can't the adaptation "feature" be turned off? He said that because I was a gingerly driver that this caused the problem. I was more than annoyed now. I said that I am a conservative driver but not a Grandma. I don't floor it off of every light like a 16 year old. So I asked if I would have to bring it back every year for resetting then and he said yes! I just told him that the technology had obviously not been perfected yet. He then said that they were at the mercy of BMW for the software which only made me madder as that was my original claim in the letter - they do not have a fix so why go through this little charade when BMW knows damn well there is a problem!

I haven't driven it much yet but it doesn't look promising. I was turning left and got in and out of the throttle (lightly) and it jerked hard. It is impossible to touch the gas pedal lightly enough in some situations as to prevent a lurch/jerk forward. It's like I push the pedal 1 mm and the throttle opens half way. Very annoying. I'll driven it for a few days in rush hour traffic and then get back to BMW.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:56 AM

Keep At It

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
After writing a "take it back letter" to the dealer the new SM insisted in test driving it. He said that because I was a gingerly driver that this caused the problem. I was more than annoyed now. I said that I am a conservative driver but not a Grandma. I don't floor it off of every light like a 16 year old. So I asked if I would have to bring it back every year for resetting then and he said yes! they do not have a fix so why go through this little charade when BMW knows damn well there is a problem!

I haven't driven it much yet but it doesn't look promising. I was turning left and got in and out of the throttle (lightly) and it jerked hard. It is impossible to touch the gas pedal lightly enough in some situations as to prevent a lurch/jerk forward. It's like I push the pedal 1 mm and the throttle opens half way. Very annoying. I'll driven it for a few days in rush hour traffic and then get back to BMW.

Until you get a lawyer (and even then) they will jerk you around. They tried the, "You drive too slow approach with me". I have had this thing up to 120 mph + and consistently drive in the 80 mph range.

I have another "Test Drive" sheduled with a BMWNA advisor on the 30'th (which is pointless) since they look at you blankly and say, "It's meant to do that".

Regardless of their response I will pursue a Lemon Law Suit so its on the books unless they want to swap me to an MT as requested or buy it back.

They are using the "Wear You down approach" in hopes you will give up or dump the vehicle and then they pay nothing.

Keep at it. Its just playing chicken at this point to see who flinches.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si, 2008 335i
I hate that we have to use this master thread, but I hope you all are happy, I am behaving.

I am so fed up with BMW. We have taken my wife's X3 in twice for this. I took it in an hour ago and before they even looked at it, they are saying it's normal. It's such a load of crap. My dad is a freaking sales manager at a dealership, and he was skeptical, but when he drove it, he admitted it is nowhere close to right. I called the customer relations department and left a message. Does anyone have a number for a regional SA or something? I called my dad thinking he might have a number for one, but no luck.

Does anyone else feel like this is that scene from Fight Club about recalls? Basically BMW has said internally they know it's broken, but they don't know how to fix it without coming up with a whole new system, and that is not cost effective. So now the official line is to just say it's normal and hope we all go away. It makes me so mad because my 2008 335i is perfection, and this X3 is so unbelievably flawed. It's even worse having a dad who is a SM and I still can't get any resolution.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:27 AM

Thumbs down See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Say No Evil

TexRob, They can't admit there is a problem with it. If they admit there is a design flaw then the lemon laws are validated and a class action law suit is possible.

If they admit that it is not supposed to be that way and it is not a design flaw then lemon laws are again validated. Either way they lose.

With billions of dollars being spent to move to US the last thing they will do is open another can of worms.

Had they been pro active from the start and did their own recall they would have avoided a lot of bad publicity, and could have quickly moved forward.

There best move IMO is to do what they have been doing. Take the hit and buy back, or trade out people that have this issue immediately. The longer they stall the worse it will get, not better.

My vehicle is in the shop again this week (not for the tranny, another issue). The dealer has made good and given me another BMW to drive in the meantime.

Interestingly enough I drove an X3 the last time, and a different one today. The one three weeks ago drove worse than mine. This one drives like a dream. Both were built in 07 (I checked the door jam for my records). So there are good ones out there.
[B]
It is just that when they are bad. They are bad..plain and simple. There is a difference. It's not driving technique, or adaptive transmissions, or different gas, etc..... or whatever flavor of excuse they are giving that week. They made a bad vehicle that day. Own up to your mistake BMW and take care of your problems.[/
B]

Make sure you file with the NHSTA and other agencies.

I will send you a PM with some information to help things along.

Last edited by Evlengr; 04-24-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: x3
The good news is BMW bought back our '07 X3 (trade assist) and gave us a new '08 X3 at a great price. The bad news is it's only about 50% better than the last one. The transmission does shift much smoother, but still exhibits some of the same characteristics at the '07. Definitely holds gears going up hills, but that really never bothered me. It was the off the light lag that really got to me. Like I said, it's better, but BMW needs to completely re-do the transmission on these. We also owned an '06 which did not have the "new" transmission in it and it drove perfectly.
Good luck to everyone!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si, 2008 335i
Take this for what it's worth:

I was told that BMW has finally identified the problem, has a fix, but unfortunately it won't be available until September. It is a fix for 07 and 08 cars with this problem, and they are working on the solution/testing now.

This was not told to me by the dealer I took it to today.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRob View Post
Take this for what it's worth:

I was told that BMW has finally identified the problem, has a fix, but unfortunately it won't be available until September. It is a fix for 07 and 08 cars with this problem, and they are working on the solution/testing now.

This was not told to me by the dealer I took it to today.
Hopefully this is true...so who did tell this to you?