Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx3x2 View Post
The good news is BMW bought back our '07 X3 (trade assist) and gave us a new '08 X3 at a great price. The bad news is it's only about 50% better than the last one. The transmission does shift much smoother, but still exhibits some of the same characteristics at the '07. Definitely holds gears going up hills, but that really never bothered me. It was the off the light lag that really got to me. Like I said, it's better, but BMW needs to completely re-do the transmission on these. We also owned an '06 which did not have the "new" transmission in it and it drove perfectly.
Good luck to everyone!
In your case, I think it is normal. Unfortunately, the new gearbox just does not seem to be paired very well with the rest of the drivetrain. Our loaner '08 had a fine gearbox, but the shifts weren't seamless. I attribute that to the fact that the converter is locked up and thus, does not buffer the shifts as much as the older model. Our '06 325i is similar. In order to get a smooth shift, I literally have to estimate shift timing and lift my foot a little to get a seamless shift. If I hold my foot down during the shift, there's a noticeable *push*.

Just buy a freaking manual. They're out there, and if not, order one.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:54 PM
HMFIC

Mein Auto: 2002 ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRob View Post
Take this for what it's worth:

I was told that BMW has finally identified the problem, has a fix, but unfortunately it won't be available until September. It is a fix for 07 and 08 cars with this problem, and they are working on the solution/testing now.

This was not told to me by the dealer I took it to today.
Great. 5 months prior to turning my leased 2007 back in. Just great.....

Old 04-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si, 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sans Nil View Post
Hopefully this is true...so who did tell this to you?
It comes from a BMW regional service advisor, and is supposedly in the 0-48 hours old timeframe. As in, they just got word from BMW. Like I said, I did not hear it first hand. It came from a reliable source, but he is not me, so I didn't get to ask the questions.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRob View Post
It comes from a BMW regional service advisor, and is supposedly in the 0-48 hours old timeframe. As in, they just got word from BMW. Like I said, I did not hear it first hand. It came from a reliable source, but he is not me, so I didn't get to ask the questions.
Thanks, TexRob, appreciate you passing that along for sure.
I hope this fix is the real unlike the partials in the past.
It still blows my mind how much better my wife's 2006 X3 shifts.
I would be one happy LA commuter if my 2007 gets there too.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si, 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
Great. 5 months prior to turning my leased 2007 back in. Just great.....
Yeah, that is how I feel. It is about 1 year before ours is due back. What do I get for my 2 years of dealing with a sub-par vehicle? If they offered a $1000 BMWNA rebate off my next purchase, that would go a long way towards keeping me in BMWs. It doesn't really even come close to the frustration and lack of performance, but it would be a nice gesture.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
At this point I don't think this vehicle is worth what was spent on it, since cars of lesser value would have performed much better.

I do have the pleasure of knowing I have cost them several sales. And shared some of the aggravation I and others have experienced because of the GM6 AT. That's what they get for dragging this out for so long.

In fact my boss who has been a blue and white dyed in the wool BMW fan and a member of their local club chapter passed one over after driving mine (it was a good deal since I got to drive his 740). He tells me he has shared his experience with my car with other members.

Anyone I know or meet who thinks of buying one I simply hand my keys..... and there goes their sale. If you feel strongly about it, just let others experience the "Herky Jerky" transmission with your vehicle.

Maybe they want to push this update out a little sooner, and I absolutley agree that a rebate of some sort is the bare MINIMUM they can do at this juncture.

Well on the 30'th I do the little dance with BMWNA again. If it won't prevent me from moving forward I will post the outcome.

In the meantime I will ask the "Master Mechanic" if this there is any truth in this new "Update".

Quite honestly with the big move to the US and the introduction of two new models I think the X3 is very low on their priority list.

Not a smart move in today's fragile and competitive market.

Last edited by Evlengr; 04-25-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: mercedes
No longer leasing X3

Thank you for all of your comments.
I have decided to lease the Acura RDX instead.
Don't need the headache with a $40k unreliable BMW.
I am absolutely certain that I'm making the wise & correct choice...thanks to this forum!
Good luck with BMW!!!
Old 04-25-2008, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: mercedes
Disappointing BMW X3

After a lot of research and this forum along with other forums on the internet, such as Edmunds. I have decided to lease the ACURA RDX instead. It appears to be a safer and wiser choice.

I will go to the dealership this weekend to get my $500 refundable deposit.
The stress of getting this X3 next month and wondering if I'll have similar problems with the transmission is simply too much!!!
I realize that I can take a lot of time out of my days to argue and report this problem to the BBB, obtain a LEMON LAWYER, deal with the dealership and BMWNA and find VARIOUS WEBSITES to report these problems to but I'd rather be worryfree with the ACURA RDX. Although I will miss the terracota leather interior of the BMW X3, I'd rather not be in a LIFE THREATENING situation.

Good luck to you all and remember MANY VOICES is better than 1.

Last edited by denise123; 04-25-2008 at 10:08 AM. Reason: add
Old 04-25-2008, 10:25 AM

Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise123 View Post
After a lot of research and this forum along with other forums on the internet, such as Edmunds. I have decided to lease the ACURA RDX instead. It appears to be a safer and wiser choice.

The other option may be the Tiguan as will be mine if BMWNA does not listen (provided I can get one).

It has any of the features of the X3: the tobacco leather interior the 2.0 TFSI engine has been written up as one of the best shifting engines, it has been given Europe's highest safety crash test awards, Xenon lights (standard) the panoramic roof, German handling, etc... and all under $30K.

It is supposed to be in delivery beginning in May.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08.vw.tiguan.act.f34.1.500.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	144930   Click image for larger version

Name:	08.vw.tiguan.int.1.500.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	144931  

Last edited by Evlengr; 04-25-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: X3 2007 3.0si AT
Quote:
I realize that I can take a lot of time out of my days to argue and report this problem to the BBB, obtain a LEMON LAWYER, deal with the dealership and BMWNA and find VARIOUS WEBSITES to report these problems to but I'd rather be worryfree with the ACURA RDX.
Good luck with your RDX! and be sure to visit us often and give us your opinion with the RDX. In the internet age, there is nothing better than an informed decision.

I wish BMW would realize that it's important to take care of current customers and meeting their expectations. I don't believe software solutions work any more. They probably knows putting in new hardware is the solution, but they don't want anyone to know this or else everyone including those that didn't complaint before would want the new hardware.

They sold too many defective 07/08 X3 AT so they are stuck with only giving software temporary fixes that only drag this on. They should just BB and TA the complaining X3's and then do the hardware fixes on them. This would keep their costs down while minimizing the damage to the brand.

Again, it's when things gone wrong, you know if this is the brand you should be loyal to.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Thank you for all of your comments.
I have decided to lease the Acura RDX instead.
Don't need the headache with a $40k unreliable BMW.
I am absolutely certain that I'm making the wise & correct choice...thanks to this forum!
Good luck with BMW!!!
Good choice! Unfortunately, most major corporations are led around by the nose by the sales division. So, if sales begin to fall, due to situations like the X3 transmission fiasco, this gets more attention than it otherwise would get. Vote with your wallet...My wife's '08 X3 is the major reason that there is also a Mercedes in our garage, instead of an X5.
2002 X5 (retired)
1999 Z3 (retired)
1990 535i (retired)
1986 528e (retired)
1978 733i (retired)
1977 320i (retired)
1974 2002tii (in storage)
1972 Bavaria (retired)
1970 2002 (retired)
Old 04-26-2008, 05:46 PM

How Much More?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeman View Post
Unfortunately, most major corporations are led around by the nose by the sales division. So, if sales begin to fall, due to situations like the X3 transmission fiasco, this gets more attention than it otherwise would get. Vote with your wallet...My wife's '08 X3 is the major reason that there is also a Mercedes in our garage, instead of an X5.
Sales are already over 40% down

And, with gas fast approaching $4.00 per gallon how much more do they need to pay attention?

Looking at your ownership history alone (and the loss of a sale to Mercedes) "Vatkens" should be running down the hall, hands waving in the air; screaming like a school girl that sat on a garter snake.

IMO I think this is a case where BMWNA execs are making all sorts of excuses to corporate HQ.

I know in most businesses this great a loss would result in a "Restructuring " of management.

They thought they were going to cover it up and now its snowballing.

Folks stop screwing around and get to it. I recently heard another "Fix" is being released in September? Over two years since this began. BTW last count on replacements is up to 30 vehicles from this website and 19 reported cases to the NHTSA.

So BMWNA how much more will it take? You havent fixed it, and its not going away.

NO MORE EXCUSES!

Last edited by Evlengr; 04-26-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:21 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
interesting that the next fix will be in September... just in time for the 2009 model line to start production.

and by the way Ev... I just paid $4.25 a gallon in Sacramento, CA.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 04-27-2008, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Sales are already over 40% down
Sales of the X5, which has a supposedly better transmission, are down ever more and that model was introduced only two years ago. Sorry dude, but auto sales across the board have tanked with most manufacturers.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:21 AM

Make it worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledeclutch View Post
Sales of the X5, which has a supposedly better transmission, are down ever more and that model was introduced only two years ago. Sorry dude, but auto sales across the board have tanked with most manufacturers.
What I was pointing out was why exacerbate the issue even more!

If you are pulled over by a cop for a minor violation that could or could not be within your control, you don't tell him to bug off. And then look befuddled when he hands you a ticket.

You try to minimize the scenario in hopes that things will go your way favorably.

In this case you know gas prices and other factors out of your control may hurt the situation so you dont tell your customers to bug off as well, by ignoring a known problem (No Problem Found), and then look befuddled when you lose sales.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledeclutch View Post
Look at the numbers. The X3 sales are down almost twice as much as the X5.
Presumably it would be more of a uniform decline if the high cost of fuel or macro economic trend. I'm not saying the the poor quality issue with the X3's transmission/acceleration is 100% behind the X3 slump, but it's definitely driving it past the level of drops seen with other models and manufacturers.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
I don't think that does justice to the complete numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sans Nil View Post
Look at the numbers. The X3 sales are down almost twice as much as the X5.
I suggest revisiting the numbers and taking a closer look. For the most recent data shown the X3 sales consistently declined during the year. It is in it's 5th year of production and the competion has had a chance to catch up some. The X5 dropped 42% in ONE month. As I stated before in another thread, if I was BMW I would be much more concerned about that much of a one month drop in sales for a car that's been in production less than 24 months and probably hasn't reached the breakeven point yet.

My personal opinion is that the X3 sales are impacted mostly by age and competition and the X5 by fuel prices and size. Also, luxury vehicles are always take a large hit in a declining economy.

Last edited by HT417; 04-29-2008 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:33 AM

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT417 View Post

My personal opinion is that the X3 sales are impacted mostly by age and competition and the X5 by fuel prices and size. Also, luxury vehicles are always take a large hit in a declining economy.
I agree, but why give the competition; be it economic forces or (new) rivals an oppurtunity to get a foot hold in your market? Turning a blind eye to a very serious and as common a problem as the GM6 transmission is no way to help sales.

Let's face it the internet has changed the way people communicate. And like it or not perception is reality. It's not the core audience that needs to be sold, it's the new buyer.

They need new owners to bolster their sales, it is part of the whole product life cycle.

What I find equally interesting is that BMW owners that are core clients are now turning away to competitors due to the X3 issues.

This kind of behavior by BMWNA is not only hurting sales to the X3, but future sales for other BMW's.

People are very aware of BMW's behavior on this one. Read any of the car web sites. Edmunds, Vehix, Yahoo, Cars.com, Epionions, etc....

IMO sales on the X3 will continue to drop at an alarming rate. This is not helping.

And as I stated before, I simply hand my keys to anyone that I know is interested in an X3 and Pffft. There goes a sale.

Let's hope I can report some favorable information from the BMWNA rep after tomorrow. other than the "New" Fix" comes out in September (2years later).

Last edited by Evlengr; 04-29-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Vorsitzer

Send a message via AIM to vrrooom
Mein Auto: Bummers, porkys
Thumbs down X3 and BMW's position

I recieved a note yesterday from BMW customer service restating the "no problem found" position frequently mentioned on this board. I currrently own 3 X3's, and was planning on selling my '04 this spring when we acquired the 2008 unit. As we have several gendres of the car, I can firmly state that the shifitng issues with the 2008 are significant. I have indicated the serious dangers to owners posed by this system on both my Consumers Union and JD Powers surveys. I really like the new car, but we are going to keep the 2004 until such time as BMW gives us a "ultimate shifting machine" not the confused system in the 2008. We have one more attempt to repair before we enter the states process (This would be my second visit to the citris process). I hope it is not necessary, but risking injury and terror between now and September when another fix is due is not an option
Old 04-29-2008, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: X3
I have just ordered a X3 and am having reservations about getting the AT. I have no problems getting a MT but as a daily driver i think the AT makes more sense. My CA checked with his service manager for me and he feels that there are no issues (don't flame here, I am just repeating what he said).

I am wondering if there is in fact a fix due in September what are the chances they would incorporate that fix in the production line earlier than that? Is there any way to find out? How long do I have to change my mind from the order date and will it slow the production down if I do?

Thanks
Old 04-29-2008, 07:41 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
i would get his statement in writing.
as far as how long? did you put a deposit or sign any paper work? if you didn't sign a purchase contract, the car can be sitting on his lot with him on the phone telling you its ready and you are still NOT obligated to buy it.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 04-29-2008, 07:47 AM

I do have it in a saved email from my CA. The car is not on the lot and is being ordered. I was told 6 to 8 weeks. I finalized everything just last week. I did read somewhere that you can change options up untill the time production starts. I am not sure thats true and I am also not sure if it will slow production of my unit.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:13 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by cer2225 View Post
I do have it in a saved email from my CA. The car is not on the lot and is being ordered. I was told 6 to 8 weeks. I finalized everything just last week. I did read somewhere that you can change options up untill the time production starts. I am not sure thats true and I am also not sure if it will slow production of my unit.

You may still have time to change options. It is going to be very close. If you are serious about this, call your dealer now.

112 status is the last chance to change options. Last minute changes do not slow production. Cars can go from 112 to production in very little time.

Once that car is in production (status 150) it is too late to make any changes. That car is going to be built the way it was ordered. As long as it an easy to sell configuration , there is no reason why a dealer wouldn't take that car for stock and let you order another one. If you do that then you are looking at 6 to 8 weeks again.

OTOH a dealer is going to be really upset if you try and back out of an X3 with a manual.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 04-29-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:14 AM

I would ask for a written clause that nullifies the "Buyer's Remorse" statement with respect to the AT.

Meaining they take it back if the tranny doesn't work (and the adaptive portion should take less than 500 miles so don't let them delay you).

As far as the September "Update" being incorporated into your vehicle.

I doubt it since BMWNA will not verify it even exists. That would be admitting there is a issue.

This is the biggest problem with this whole fiasco. The consistent "Cloak and Dagger: approach to handling something that is now very public. If they were up front and stop with the "Plausable Deniability" routine they might garner a little patience from many people.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the input. I am just struggling with this decision. Like I said, I have no issues with a MT as I have one for my summer toy but with the X3 being a DD and using it to tow my boat I would really like the AT.

I guess if I knew for sure that mine would incorporate the supposed fix or that there is in fact a fix due in September I would stick with it.

I have not recieved a production number yet from my CA. He said it would be a couple of weeks so i have no idea where mine stands.