Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:24 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by cer2225 View Post
He said it would be a couple of weeks so i have no idea where mine stands.
At this point you might have a VIN.

You will have to call your dealer. It only takes a minute to look up your car...

I wouldn't delay on this. If they gave you a production slot that is scheduled for delivery in 5 to 7 weeks, it is either in production now or going into production very soon.

The MT is easy in traffic. The new motor has so much low end torque that you don't need to downshift much. If the car is moving at all, 2nd gear is fine.
The hill holder make hill starts just about a no brainer. We drive a MT in heavy traffic here in ATL but our commute to work is all of 3 miles.

Towing might be more of an issue. How heavy is your trailer?
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 04-29-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
I would ask for a written clause that nullifies the "Buyer's Remorse" statement with respect to the AT.

Meaining they take it back if the tranny doesn't work (and the adaptive portion should take less than 500 miles so don't let them delay you).

As far as the September "Update" being incorporated into your vehicle.

I doubt it since BMWNA will not verify it even exists. That would be admitting there is a issue.

This is the biggest problem with this whole fiasco. The consistent "Cloak and Dagger: approach to handling something that is now very public. If they were up front and stop with the "Plausable Deniability" routine they might garner a little patience from many people.
I am pretty sure there is no dealer out there that would agree to that. Its a great idea but I don't see it happening. Good thought though. I suppose I always have the CA's email stating there is no problem.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
At this point you might have a VIN.

You will have to call your dealer. It only takes a minute to look up your car...

I wouldn't delay on this. If they gave you a production slot that is scheduled for delivery in 5 to 7 weeks, it is either in production now or going into production very soon.

The MT is easy in traffic. The new motor has so much low end torque that you don't need to downshift much. If the car is moving at all, 2nd gear is fine.
The hill holder make hill starts just about a no brainer. We drive a MT in heavy traffic here in ATL but our commute to work is all of 3 miles.

Towing might be more of an issue. How heavy is your trailer?
With the boat and trailer somewhere between 3,000 and 3,500
Old 04-29-2008, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT417 View Post
My personal opinion is that the X3 sales are impacted mostly by age and competition and the X5 by fuel prices and size. Also, luxury vehicles are always take a large hit in a declining economy.
If we're trading in opinions then mine is that the decline in X3 sales is being doubly driven down by the fact that it does not drive and perform to people's of expectations of a BMW. Consumers' greater awareness of this and BMW's continuing inability or unwillingness to resolve this is inevitabily taking a greater and greater toll on sales.

The X3 has a lot of other things going for it to offset the poor acceleration and transmission issues, but it's definitely not a good buy at $40k.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:53 AM

Does anyone have experience towing with the X3 MT?
Old 04-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
I can confirm that there is a new SIB coming out in September.

Fortunately, I won't have to worry about it.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0i & '08 X3.0si
You aren't ordering, but instead are going with one of the MT's on a lot somewhere in the US?
Old 04-30-2008, 12:10 PM

As a sign of good faith I wanted to make things as level as possible. If they have one on a lot somewhere gathering dust that meets my needs (at no extra cost) I would be happy to swap.

I won't know until later this week. Also, don't want to jinx things by saying too much.

Once I have it in my hands and everyone is happy, etc......

I would prefer to order though.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sans Nil View Post
If we're trading in opinions then mine is that the decline in X3 sales is being doubly driven down by the fact that it does not drive and perform to people's of expectations of a BMW. Consumers' greater awareness of this and BMW's continuing inability or unwillingness to resolve this is inevitabily taking a greater and greater toll on sales.

The X3 has a lot of other things going for it to offset the poor acceleration and transmission issues, but it's definitely not a good buy at $40k.
I think "doubly driven down" is a bit of a reach but I agree that even the best shifting 6AT's, of which mine is fortunately included, are out of line with many people's expectations of how a BMW should perform and agree that BMW's response to those with legitimate problems could certainly be a factor.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Sounds like congrats are in order.

You're finally getting some justice?
Old 04-30-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I agree, but why give the competition; be it economic forces or (new) rivals an oppurtunity to get a foot hold in your market? Turning a blind eye to a very serious and as common a problem as the GM6 transmission is no way to help sales.

Let's face it the internet has changed the way people communicate. And like it or not perception is reality. It's not the core audience that needs to be sold, it's the new buyer.

They need new owners to bolster their sales, it is part of the whole product life cycle.

What I find equally interesting is that BMW owners that are core clients are now turning away to competitors due to the X3 issues.

This kind of behavior by BMWNA is not only hurting sales to the X3, but future sales for other BMW's.

People are very aware of BMW's behavior on this one. Read any of the car web sites. Edmunds, Vehix, Yahoo, Cars.com, Epionions, etc....

IMO sales on the X3 will continue to drop at an alarming rate. This is not helping.

And as I stated before, I simply hand my keys to anyone that I know is interested in an X3 and Pffft. There goes a sale.

Let's hope I can report some favorable information from the BMWNA rep after tomorrow. other than the "New" Fix" comes out in September (2years later).
Agreed. I can't understand their behavior either.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I can confirm that there is a new SIB coming out in September.

If they have a fix for this then why wait until September? I am not doubting you it is just that waiting 5 more months to solve these problems seems strange for any company since they supposedly have something that will fix things. Why not just do it now unless there's some hardware associated with it. Time will tell.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
because the new model year starts in Sept. so it could mean any number of things... completely new software, completely new trans, or re-worked gearing, new rear end final drive. etc etc.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 04-30-2008, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Still no good

Had the latest update a few months ago--supposedly newer than the Oct. 07 one, and I can't see any improvement. I really don't think they test drive vehicles before they put out the new software. This will be my last BMW unless they can fix this or provide one that won't drive so poorly. I want my '05 325 back.....
Old 04-30-2008, 04:54 PM

Who Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by cer2225 View Post
If they have a fix for this then why wait until September? I am not doubting you it is just that waiting 5 more months to solve these problems seems strange for any company since they supposedly have something that will fix things. Why not just do it now unless there's some hardware associated with it. Time will tell.
Why keep denying there is a problem, yet keep sending out updates? Who knows?

There seems to be a lot of beauracracy that prevents things moving forward. I asked why they couldn't just swap out the DME/ECU for one that has the newest software and that was "Burned In" and tested to "Spec". This would avoid any speculation as to the new software being properly installed or working.

He said it was such a long process it was faster for them to flash the firmware on site.

Talk about counter-productive and costly.

They may want to thorughly test the latest update so as not to jump out of the pan into the fire. Apparently, one owner had a pre-release and it fried his DME.

Oh well, my suggestion is to thoroughly drive any AT vehicle for 48 hours before taking possesion. Or get an MT.

Last edited by Evlengr; 04-30-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:10 PM

Evl - Best of luck on the finding the MT and the transition!
Old 04-30-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Why keep denying there is a problem, yet keep sending out updates? Who knows?

There seems to be a lot of beauracracy that prevents things moving forward. I asked why they couldn't just swap out the DME/ECU for one that has the newest software and that was "Burned In" and tested to "Spec". This would avoid any speculation as to the new software being properly installed or working.

He said it was such a long process it was faster for them to flash the firmware on site.

Talk about counter-productive and costly.

They may want to thorughly test the latest update so as not to jump out of the pan into the fire. Apparently, one owner had a pre-release and it fried his DME.

Oh well, my suggestion is to thoroughly drive any AT vehicle for 48 hours before taking possesion. Or get an MT.
Did they give you the impression that new builds will already have this fix? Mine is currently in production. It would make sense if they have a fix for it they would implement it in any new builds. Hopeful aren't I? LOL
Old 04-30-2008, 07:11 PM

I don't know why some people suffer from this and others do not.

I personally think it was a bad production run. Since some 08 models were made in 07 the later built models on order would not be. I am usually categorized as a cynic, I like to think I am a realist. I think it's realistic to say you are in the clear if you are getting it built, so you would be good.

However, neither of us were willing to risk a repeat with another AT so the MT was an easy option and we let it go at that.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:15 PM

Makes sense to me. Good luck to you.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:35 PM

BTW, the peace symbol is a nice touch . . . . Will the traditional roundels on the new rig be replaced with peace symbols?
Old 04-30-2008, 07:49 PM

Good Idea

Cool idea--was thinking the black and white ones like hot croc got...but not a bad idea--would take some creative engineering and a kiln but could be done.

BTW If I am can order it I will be getting:

Heated steering wheel (really love that feature)
Comfort seats (my back really sucks)
Xenon Lights (swore I wouldn't blind others, but what the hey)
Tobacco leather ( never knew it was an option, and just has a touch of class and warmth)
Servotronic--( I just like it)
Black Sapphire

Last edited by Evlengr; 04-30-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i, X3 3.0i
Quote:
I don't know why some people suffer from this and others do not.

I personally think it was a bad production run. Since some 08 models were made in 07 the later built models on order would not be. I am usually categorized as a cynic, I like to think I am a realist. I think it's realistic to say you are in the clear if you are getting it built, so you would be good.
All I can say is that the problem still exists on those that have a Feb 08 build date that my friend took delivery last month.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
All I can say is that the problem still exists on those that have a Feb 08 build date that my friend took delivery last month.
Have you driven your friend's vehicle?

The reason I ask, is because unless YOU drive it, sometimes other people interpret it differently. It could be operating normally most of the time, but your friend may not like the way it shifts. I will say, after having driven one, that it is not as responsive as the previous 5AT. But this is the case of many newer 6ATs, including my mom's 325i, which takes like, 2 seconds to think after I've hit the kickdown command.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
BTW If I am can order it I will be getting:

Heated steering wheel (really love that feature)
Comfort seats (my back really sucks)
Xenon Lights (swore I wouldn't blind others, but what the hey)
Tobacco leather ( never knew it was an option, and just has a touch of class and warmth)
Servotronic--( I just like it)
Black Sapphire
Well, when I walked through my options with my dealer, I ran into a roadblock on the Comfort Seats/Lumbar Support and Tobacco leather combination. Thus, on the fly I made an executive decision and went with the Sport Package and Sport seats, which can be done in Tobacco. Of course, this meant also giving up on the heated steering wheel - I too really love that $150 option on my current '07. Nonetheless, there were some really good posts talking about the "heated vs. sport" steering wheel choice that left me feeling it was going to be a 50/50 trade off (that, along with the fact I've driven my buddy's '05 Sport X3 with its fat Sport steering wheel and liked it just fine). The point of all this being you might prepare yourself for having to make this same choice.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:14 AM

Decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Have you driven your friend's vehicle?

The reason I ask, is because unless YOU drive it, sometimes other people interpret it differently. It could be operating normally most of the time, but your friend may not like the way it shifts. I will say, after having driven one, that it is not as responsive as the previous 5AT. But this is the case of many newer 6ATs, including my mom's 325i, which takes like, 2 seconds to think after I've hit the kickdown command.
That 2 second hesistation was what nearly caused some serious problems. However, moving forward (going for the half-full approach).

I looked at the Rubyblack for grins and giggles on the German BMW site. Is that like a deep eggplant color or are my settings on my computer too tweaked?

Terry, are you saying that they could not deliver the comfort seats with the tobacco leather or just with a sports package?

And mine has a pretty fat steering whell now with the heated feature I don't think anymore would be comfortable.