Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0i & '08 X3.0si
Evl - Below is an excerpt from my original post re/ the seats and the steering wheel:

"I had not originally expected to go with the Sport Package (in large part due to my love of the heated steering wheel), but while placing the order for comfort seats with lumbar support (as part of Premium Package) I learned I could not have the Tobacco leather Priority One option with the comfort/lumbar support seats. On the other hand, I could keep the Tobacco leather with the Sports Package - so I said goodbye to the heated steering wheel.

As for the Sports Package, a few other factors helped me with the choice. First and foremost, this BB. I had participated in this thread and felt some very good points were expressed in support of the Sport Pkg. Also, the link therein to this post by Zeke77 left me more confident in this selection. On a more personal level, my other rig is a 2000 Z3, so I have a pretty good idea about what "stiff" suspension can be like - and I absolutely love the Z3's ride and performance. Also, my buddy has a 2005 X3 with the Sport Package, and I've driven it and feel its suspension is just fine. So I suspect I will be pretty happy with the stiffer suspension. As for the steering wheel, again Zeke's experience helped; although his '07 650 has a heated steering wheel his X3 has the non-heated M-steering wheel and he expressed a liking for the M-wheel. So there to I think I'll be happy with the choice."
Old 05-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
That 2 second hesistation was what nearly caused some serious problems. However, moving forward (going for the half-full approach).

I looked at the Rubyblack for grins and giggles on the German BMW site. Is that like a deep eggplant color or are my settings on my computer too tweaked?

Terry, are you saying that they could not deliver the comfort seats with the tobacco leather or just with a sports package?

And mine has a pretty fat steering whell now with the heated feature I don't think anymore would be comfortable.
Ruby Black is a dark purple. Think of it as Barrique Red on the E90 but darker. Not available here anyways. It's probably the successor to Mocha Brown metallic but not as brown, which was available in Canada. Do a search for that colour and one person has it. (btw, the 2.5si has grown so expensive compared to my 2.5i.)

I complained about it on the E90 forum already, but basically whenever I need to pass on the one-lane highways, I signal and shift lanes, then romp the pedal to kickdown. It takes 2 seconds for the gearbox to wake up and shift one gear, and then another second to downshift another 2 cogs. This is for a 80-140km/h, 6-3 downshift pass. This is normal behaviour IMO. Pretty lame and pretty low standards yes, but that's what I expect from the 3. Not the lighting shift like my X3.

We should start a new thread on configuring Ev's next X3. Tobacco and Terracotta cannot be ordered with Comfortsitze er I mean Comfort seats. They CAN be ordered with sport seats.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 05-02-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
X fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Ruby Black is a dark purple. Think of it as Barrique Red on the E90 but darker. Not available here anyways. It's probably the successor to Mocha Brown metallic but not as brown, which was available in Canada. Do a search for that colour and one person has it. (btw, the 2.5si has grown so expensive compared to my 2.5i.)

I complained about it on the E90 forum already, but basically whenever I need to pass on the one-lane highways, I signal and shift lanes, then romp the pedal to kickdown. It takes 2 seconds for the gearbox to wake up and shift one gear, and then another second to downshift another 2 cogs. This is for a 80-140km/h, 6-3 downshift pass. This is normal behaviour IMO. Pretty lame and pretty low standards yes, but that's what I expect from the 3. Not the lighting shift like my X3.

We should start a new thread on configuring Ev's next X3. Tobacco and Terracotta cannot be ordered with Comfortsitze er I mean Comfort seats. They CAN be ordered with sport seats.
Remeber the"Almost Got Me Killed Thread"? That is exaclty what it did. A MAJOR design flaw if what you are saying is true.

Well getting a little antzy as BMW was supposed to contact me by today. Almost feel like, "I knew it was too good to be true". I really prefer Hpyengr mode over Evlengr mode.

*twiddles fingers*
Old 05-02-2008, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i, X3 3.0i
Quote:
Have you driven your friend's vehicle?

The reason I ask, is because unless YOU drive it, sometimes other people interpret it differently. It could be operating normally most of the time, but your friend may not like the way it shifts. I will say, after having driven one, that it is not as responsive as the previous 5AT. But this is the case of many newer 6ATs, including my mom's 325i, which takes like, 2 seconds to think after I've hit the kickdown command.
I have not driven the car. In fact, I've not experienced myself on the problem you guys are discussing because I've never driven an auto X3. BUT.... what makes me wonder is when she, yes she, told me that she nearly got into an accident when she pulled out a driveway and the car didn't respond, without knowing the existence of this problem.

She had a 05 X3 AT for 3 years before this. She is just a typical female with no knowledge of automobile whatsoever. She only knows about stepping on the gas and go and brake to stop and she has no idea of what kickdown means, let alone doing it. So my interpretation is - if an ORDINARY person who used to drive automatics her whole life without complaints and now can not operate it as a standard automatic vehicle, there is a problem, period.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Well, when backing out of a driveway in R, you have to stop the vehicle. Put it in D. Give it a second to change gears to D, then gently apply the throttle. If you slop it from R to D and floor it simultaneously, the gearbox will slip, shudder, and fail to respond because it simply cannot do what you ask it to do, which is do 3 things at once. A had a friend who was a terrible driver and never stopped when changing gears on his Toyota. He ended up stalling the vehicle on multiple occasions.

Folks, you gotta realise that the AT is an extremely complicated mechanism.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
ok, i've refrained for a while now.. AZN! you haven't experienced it so you don't know what you are talking about. please stop TELLING those of us who HAVE driven AND LIVED WITH IT what is going on. You've offered GREAT advice before, but on this case, you don't get it.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 05-02-2008, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Sorry but that's just silly.

When I drive my wife's 2006 AT X3 there is no hesitation when accelerating from reverse or a dead stop. It's just quick and fluid power like you'd think of a BMW. You can barely even feel the gears shift. That's why I wanted one! But when you drive mine 2007 AT it's like something I'd expect from a Ford Explorer. It's not every time, but there are regular hesitations when accelerating where I can can count 1-one thousand, 2-one thousand aahhhh there it goes.

It may be complicated, but the fact that BMW got it so perfectly right in the older X3 means there's some sort of defect in the newer ones to account for the degraded performance. I don't know what, that's out of my league, but I know that's the bottom line.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 330Xi, Acura RDX, 968
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjboyd View Post
ok, i've refrained for a while now.. AZN! you haven't experienced it so you don't know what you are talking about. please stop TELLING those of us who HAVE driven AND LIVED WITH IT what is going on. You've offered GREAT advice before, but on this case, you don't get it.

+1 There is one thing being informed, and sharing that info. There is another of being the "Authority" on everything to hear yourself talk.
AznMpower32, most of the people here have been driving longer than you have been alive. Please stick to the stuff you know. I think by now we can tell what is and isn't a decent shift between gears.I love hearing your perspective, but to chime in on everything is a bit much. Sorry to be so blunt, but sometimes enough is enough.

Last edited by Snow-man; 05-02-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:07 PM

Silly Daddy

Well, I knew it was too easy.

I finally got a reply call from the dealership. It seems that have to, "Work out some numbers".

It's going to be ordered (which means a little more attention is given in the process of construction, I hope).

Guess this is going to be running back and forth to the manager scenario in the meantime.

As my daughter would say, "Silly Daddy".
Old 05-02-2008, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i, X3 3.0i
Quote:
Well, when backing out of a driveway in R, you have to stop the vehicle. Put it in D. Give it a second to change gears to D, then gently apply the throttle. If you slop it from R to D and floor it simultaneously, the gearbox will slip, shudder, and fail to respond because it simply cannot do what you ask it to do, which is do 3 things at once. A had a friend who was a terrible driver and never stopped when changing gears on his Toyota. He ended up stalling the vehicle on multiple occasions.

Pulling Out = Coming out, not necessarily backing out.

Actually, she was coming out from the driveway at about 5 mph trying to merge into a narrow street. She didn't and there is no need to floor the throttle. She accelerated as usual but the vehicle did not respond until a couple of seconds later.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:26 AM

Well, it is near perfect weather and it still does the search and find lurch.

I only mention this since I thought this was attributable to bad weather. It's not, just less pronounced.

Now just waiting to see on the MT. Will know towards the middle of this week........really looking forward to it.

Other thing I thought was odd when looking at MT specs.

The AT is more fuel efficient?

Will the MT owner's please chime in on this please?

Last edited by Evlengr; 05-05-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post

The AT is more fuel efficient?

Will the MT owner's please chime in on this please?
I don't have a the MT but I believe the driver for the 6 speed was for fuel efficiency. The adaptive tranny "feature" was likely due to fuel consumption as well. Too bad for us this technology is unrefined!

ps the dealer "reset" the adaptive codes but after 2 weeks the tranny seems to be relearning it's bad habits.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
according to the window sticker the AT was more efficient on this N52 engine.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: X3, 530xi, Z4
Question Idle/tranny problem

I wanted to share an issue I've encountered with all of you, I don't think it has been addressed yet, but considering the length of this forum, I may have missed it...

I have a 2007 X3 (automatic transmission), purchased (leased, actually) in Oct 2006. It was the first X3 off of our dealers lot, and I have to say I love it. However-- I began having an issue, oh about two months ago, with the idle of the car. I noticed that occassionally while at a stop light, the car felt like it was going to stall, but only briefly. I know that the RPMs were dropping, but by the time I felt it and looked at the gauge, it had passed. It happened on occassional basis, like I said, but has become more and more recurrent to the point that it was happening two and three times in a row at a single stop light after driving for maybe 10 mins or so. It's important to note that while driving, the car is running fine and there is no issue with the smoothness that the car changes gear. Eventually, I convinced my husband that it was enough of an issue to warrant a service check, as I love the service department at our dealership (Fairfax BMW), and our service manager specifically! She was out sick yesterday, but the department called my husband at 5pm last night and left him a message that there was indeed a problem with the car, and that they would need to replace the ENTIRE transmission! My reaction was pure happiness, b/c
1. It meant I wasn't crazy and there IS a problem, and
2. Relief, b/c I didn't have to find out about the transmission going bad the hard way (i.e. breaking down on the side of the road with my 14 month old son in the back seat)

My question, since I haven't heard back from them yet, is what in the world could the problem have been with a transmission that has 21,000 miles on it that would need the overhaul, and has anyone else run into this problem? Like I said, I love my X3 and it has worked out very very well for my family, but I can say that if I had been considering buying out the lease at the end of the terms (I'm not, but it wasn't because of the car at that point, but the size of our family), that now I wouldn't be so sure....thanks for your help!!
~JB, driver of "MISTER X", Northern Virginia
Old 05-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Casual Fan

Mein Auto: 2011 X5
Hey guys...haven't posted in a while because I've been busy with work but I have turned 5K miles on my '08 X3 and the transmission is still as bad as ever. I am counting the months until the lease is over and I can get a different vehicle. In the meantime I'm making it a personal challenge to dissuade as many people as possible from buying a new BMW. Cheers!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
May fixed?

I have just found that by allowing the fuel tank to drop below half, the transmission hesitation in my X3 has gone away. Previously I am of the type who always kept the tank nearly full.

Perhaps the evaporative fuel system gets overloaded and affects fuel flow.

If anyone else has the hesitation, please post if this fixes your problem.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:01 AM
STEVIL Empire

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelv View Post
I have just found that by allowing the fuel tank to drop below half, the transmission hesitation in my X3 has gone away. Previously I am of the type who always kept the tank nearly full.

Thanks.
Interesting...I had previously posted the possibility that the cause might be fuel system related, since some have the problem with hesitation while turning.

2014 E84 xDrive28i 8AT-Alpine White/Black Nevada/Silver Matte w/ZMV,ZLP,494 - DD 3/14/14
Old 05-14-2008, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3
No way has the amount of fuel had anything to do with my tranny issues. I find it a bit wacky to even consider the amount of fuel one has in his tank contributing to a software issue !
Old 05-14-2008, 12:06 PM
HMFIC

Mein Auto: 2002 ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
No way has the amount of fuel had anything to do with my tranny issues. I find it a bit wacky to even consider the amount of fuel one has in his tank contributing to a software issue !
+1. Fuel level has no relation to my tranny issues.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
Who said it was a software issue? I have the latest software update and it did NOT fix the problem until the fuel level ran low last week.

BMW obviously does not know what is going on, otherwise they would have a fix that worked on all X3s.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:15 PM
HMFIC

Mein Auto: 2002 ///M3
BMW thinks it's a software issue. They've tried several times to fix it that way. Latest word is another software fix attempt is coming in September. We'll see how that pans out.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0i & '08 X3.0si
It's something - that's the main point of all of this. The X3 automatic transmission in my '07 and in many other folks simply falls far short of the "performance" BMW itself promotes in its X3 brochure - it is not "responsive" in any high performance sort of way for a number of us. For those of you who push the gas pedal and feel immediate response, all the time and as you would expect, all I can tell you is feel damn good about your X3 as it performs the way I suspect most of us expect a BMW to perform. The rest of us seem to have schizophrenic BMW's in our X3's, as any given moment we push down on the gas pedal and the vehicle has a big old fart prior to doing anything. It literally blew me away the first time this happened, and has only been a source of frustration every time since. My current '07 sits in my garage until I can take it down to trade back on my '08 manual transmission that now sits on a boat. I have a trip to Jackson WY scheduled for the end of this month. I will drive my Z3 if weather permits, or otherwise drive a rental if weather turns crappy - can you folks with responsive X3's even imagine such a choice?
Old 05-15-2008, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2007 3.0si AT
The problem here is not so much about the X3 itself but the way BMW handles my case. The way the dealer and BMW's customer service really did not act like as premium car brand would. I felt like since I did not buy a more expensive model like an X5 or a 5 series BMW, this is how I should be treated.

I took my time and effort to write them complaining that after 8 months and 4 visits, the car is still not fixed. All I got is a call from the dealer saying they need to update the software one more time. I hope they would at least write something back to me explaining the situation, but no, I did not get any after 30 days. Although I like their cars (eg. the new M3), I cannot risk buying another one knowing how I would be treated if something will go wrong.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelv View Post

Thanks.
I haven't mentioned this before but there is definitely more of the hesitation when the fuel level goes below 1/4 - 1/8. It is very strange.

I wonder how BMW will compensate me for the 1 year and 20K of crappy driving?
Old 05-16-2008, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: 330Xi, Acura RDX, 968
Just curious....I was looking at a 1 series the other day and I noticed the transmission mfg said, French.

Is this the same AT as the X3?