Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:31 PM
HMFIC

Mein Auto: 2002 ///M3
Exactly. Ya, it seems better now, but it'll return. Sure the updates improved it, but it still svcks.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:35 PM
HMFIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
I have the exact same problem and have been living with it for a year and half(with all the currently available fixes, of course). Is there a new fix?
That's what I thought. Silence.

You have no idea what customer service is. Amazing....

Old 05-29-2008, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Dealer has had my 07 X3 for the last week "working" on the shifting problem. Pretty much burned all my gas, put miles on my lease and told me to come back in 2 weeks for the next SIB update. Why do they play games? They know the problem exists and refuse to admit it. Some background for the BMW employee up there a few posts. I went over 6 months without any problems and turned a corner one day and my car nearly stalled, no exaggeration. From that point on, it has had every "fix" BMW had to offer, even if it was to reload the defective software. I had an '05 325, never had one minutes trouble out of it, so no sour grapes. I've driven MANY 3-series loaners with the same trans/different software WITHOUT ever experiencing the surging, hesitation, inablitlty to choose a gear when you push the gas pedal. BMW made a mistake, needs to admit it, devote the resources to fix it and FIX IT. I'm tired of my dealer telling me they can only do what BMW allows them to do. Sorry about the rant, but this is not some isolated instance and a year of playing nice with the dealer and BMW hasn't gotten me anywhere-- except nervous every time I press the gas pedal, wondering what, if anything will happen when I do..
Old 05-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
The reason they keep putting all of you off is so they can push the car past the time frame for any Lemon Laws to apply.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle

Last edited by kjboyd; 05-29-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjboyd View Post
The reason they keep putting all of you off is so they can push the car past the time frame for any Lemon Laws to apply.
Probably true, but this will not limit their liability when/or if someone gets killed driving this version of the not so Ultimate Driving Machine.
2002 X5 (retired)
1999 Z3 (retired)
1990 535i (retired)
1986 528e (retired)
1978 733i (retired)
1977 320i (retired)
1974 2002tii (in storage)
1972 Bavaria (retired)
1970 2002 (retired)
Old 05-29-2008, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2007 3.0si AT
Vatkens

Quote:
Originally Posted by markd View Post
Well, I had the major update last year, which actually seemed pretty good. Not perfect, but maybe I could live with it-I thought.

Hesitation was practically all gone. Lately it has gotten worse again.

Almost got clocked while making left turn into gas station today. I had plenty of room to make left turn, but it lunged forward slightly, then nothing!!!!! Then the oncoming traffic was approaching, and beeping their horn. All of a sudden, I got power, and the tires chirpped!

it is weird-you push the gas down, and it does not respond.

Not safe!

I am not happy. I bought it April of 2007. It has been in for this problem at least 5 times.
It is going in again-this time for good!

I want a new vehicle-this is a lemon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatkens View Post
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Mark D,

Got to wonder what Customer Relations is going tell you, what makes you so special compare with what many of us are experiencing? How come we don't get a call? They'll probably tell you to wait for the new software update coming end of June, or something.

Also wonder if there is a difference between Customer Relations and Customer Service. In Canada, its called Customer Service. Having tried to get help from this "Customer Service" department, I am tempted to find out if there is a "Customer Relations" department I can go to...

Can you keep us posted? Just a brief summary will do, thanks in advance!
Old 06-03-2008, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x3
I got a call from BMW North America

The representative was very polite, and seemed concerned about the problem. However, the software update that is promised to fix everything for good is not released yet. They asked what I expected. I said that I expect it to be fixed. I am paying for this, and it is inferior, and unsafe.

Remember, this was promised to us in the last major update of 2007. That update was a failure.

I am almost 50 percent complete on my lease. When is it going to be fixed? Maybe lemon law is the best route for me. That way, I get every cent back that I paid for the car. The only thing I pay for is mileage up to the date the problem was first noticed, which was at about 2 weeks after I took delivery!

I will keep you posted.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:28 PM

Why did BMW North America call me?

I dont know why. I am no more important than anyone else on here that is having safety concerns with their BMW X3.

I am from PA, and they have a strong lemon law-maybe that is why.

Here is a summary of PA Lemon Law criteria:

Pennsylvania Lemon Law Basics:

The Pennsylvania lemon law covers any consumer who buys, or leases, and registers a new motor vehicle in the state. Under the Pennsylvania Lemon Law your car may be declared a lemon if it meets all of the following conditions:

It has a nonconformity (a defect, or condition) the nonconformity is covered by the manufacturer's express warranty
The nonconformity SUBSTANTIALLY impairs the use, market value, or safety of the car
The nonconformity is not the result of an accident, abuse, neglect, or alteration of the car by persons other than the manufacturer or its authorized dealer
You reported the nonconformity at least once to the manufacturer's authorized dealer during the Pennsylvania Lemon Law Rights Period of 1 year or 12,000 miles whichever comes first.
You gave the manufacturer or its authorized dealer three opportunities to repair the nonconformity.

Maybe BMW NA should contact me and ask if I want trade in assistance rather than wait around for the inevitable to happen.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
T That way, I get every cent back that I paid for the car. The only thing I pay for is mileage up to the date the problem was first noticed, which was at about 2 weeks after I took delivery!

I will keep you posted.
did you REPORT and have documentation of the problem? that's the only thing that will stick for the mileage payment offset.

-----
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
Old 06-03-2008, 08:57 PM

I am tired of playing this game.

How long does it take a team of BMW engineers to come up with a working solution?
This is not rocket science!!
It should not take over a year from the first major update to come up with another program that actually works. How complex is this program anyway? It controls the transmission, and my guess interacts with a dozen or so other sensors. This is not putting a space shuttle into orbit! When the car is not moving, there is no need for this thing to have a problem "hunting" around to find a gear-put the damn thing in first-duh! The software should also tell the engine to increase its speed when the acclerator is pressed-makes sense to me. Whats the big deal here?

I know I said it before, and I am a fair person. Maybe too nice, that I get taken advantage of. I said I would wait for the mystery update, but I dont want to anymore.

I am contacting a law firm in Philadelphia PA this week for an initial consultation. BMW can call me and circumvent this situation. It would be in their best interest to offer trade in assistance for a manual transmission x3, or 3 series coupe. I just want a safe car.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Your Wish Is Granted

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 MT
Thanks for updating us Markd, much appreciated.
I really didn't think there was anything new.
Did they give a time frame for the next update?
I think the slow response is due to the fact that the X3 is obviously low on the BMW priority list.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:32 PM

Lemon Law

Quote:
I am from PA, and they have a strong lemon law-maybe that is why.
This not only proves that lemon law does work, but also BMW is motivated on saving a few bucks. Customer satisfaction is not their main concern but their pocketbook is. This approach I believe is severely short sighted. Where I live, we don't have a lemon law. That's why after 5 visits, I am still getting nowhere. They insist me to make my 6th visit before I could make my final assessment.

This person BMWx307 did have some success, but haven't heard from since Feb 08: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...08#post3043208

Markd, thanks for your posts!
Old 06-04-2008, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: MY13 X5 3.5i Prem.
I haven't come to the board in a couple of months due to the fact that I have been crazy busy... but recently my 07 X3 started acting up (quite badly) again with the tranny so I checked in to see if there were any new updates. It amazes me that there aren't any! When I first took delivery, my tranny was A-OK... 6 months later had a few small problems, 8 months in had a turning "stall" and took it in. Now 1 1/2 years into my lease and the tranny basically doesn't respond to anything. Acceleration is extremely poor if even existent and I have now experienced a couple more "stalls". It has made me change my driving style to be MUCH more cautious when it comes to turning with oncoming traffic. I checked here to see if it was worth even taking it to the dealership or not, but it appears that they won't be able to do anything anyway... It really amazes me, I have 3 BMWs right now and this is the only one that has any issues (05 325i conv., 07 530i, 07 X3 3.0)... Why not devote some of their Formula 1 tech's to help on the issue? They can build a whole engine overnight, can't they fix the X3 tranny problem in like 3 1/2 hours?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
I recently purchased a CPO 2007 X3 and have experienced some of the AT issues listed in this thread. I asked my dealer to reprogram the ECU with the most recent [good] release. I picked the X3 up yesterday and so far, so good. I am not experiencing the 1-2 upshift delay when accelerating from a stop nor am I sensing hesitation when reapplying throttle. Prior to the reprogram, these two conditions were prevalent (side note: I did discover these issues somewhat abated when towing a 1k lb utility trailer loaded with a bunch of crap I don't need). I've noted some folks have reported the ECU reprogram helps only initially, so time will tell. PS. This is my first post on Bimmerfest and my first BMW. I'm finding the topics and discussions contained in this forum very helpful. In fact, I recently ordered two of the first aid storage boxes based on info I found here. Very cool and helpful for stashing stuff. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: x3
UPDATE: Over 1000 miles on new '08 X3 and so far the transmission is a huge improvement over the '07 X3. Still holds gears going up hill, but no more lag on accelleration.
Keep pestering BMW until they either fix it or give you a new car!
Old 06-05-2008, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 007 X3 si
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ml View Post
This not only proves that lemon law does work, but also BMW is motivated on saving a few bucks. Customer satisfaction is not their main concern but their pocketbook is. This approach I believe is severely short sighted. Where I live, we don't have a lemon law. That's why after 5 visits, I am still getting nowhere. They insist me to make my 6th visit before I could make my final assessment.

This person BMWx307 did have some success, but haven't heard from since Feb 08: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...08#post3043208

Markd, thanks for your posts!
I am in here , I had more than 5000KM since last update, everything works as normal, except when car stopped and I push the gas pedal down to buttom i feel the gear switch to 1 wait about 3 seconds than got huge back push, and car move very fast, I did test several time. I asked the technician, he said, it is designed as this way for safety. like if you try to break hard, you hit gas pedal or when you stopped and try to turn left or right at a cross traffic, soemone suddely walk at you front, this will give a time to release your foot from gas pedal. tjhis is very different as the "delay", I am happy I don't see probelms what I has before.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWx307 View Post
I asked the technician, he said, it is designed as this way for safety. like if you try to break hard, you hit gas pedal or when you stopped and try to turn left or right at a cross traffic, soemone suddely walk at you front, this will give a time to release your foot from gas pedal. tjhis is very different as the "delay", I am happy I don't see probelms what I has before.
Oh my god, I can't believe the technician was able to say that with a straight face.

That reminds me so much of the software world: "It's not a bug, it's an 'undocumented feature'."

Yeah. Right.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: X3
That reply wins the award for the biggest BS response yet. I thought I had heard them all. I am sick of being told that I haven't adapted to the vehicle yet. This is just an attempt by a lazy tech to get around having to deal with the root cause. I can only guess that BMW is not helping the dealers out here.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I am in here , I had more than 5000KM since last update, everything works as normal, except when car stopped and I push the gas pedal down to buttom i feel the gear switch to 1 wait about 3 seconds than got huge back push, and car move very fast, I did test several time. I asked the technician, he said, it is designed as this way for safety. like if you try to break hard, you hit gas pedal or when you stopped and try to turn left or right at a cross traffic, soemone suddely walk at you front, this will give a time to release your foot from gas pedal. tjhis is very different as the "delay", I am happy I don't see probelms what I has before.
X3 automatic transmission software updates - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

BTW, thanks BMWx307 for your reply.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:46 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
What happens when you look in the rearview mirror and a tractor trailer is bearing down on you that has lost its brakes?
Old 06-10-2008, 06:43 PM

software update

In a conversation today with BMW North America and my local dealer, they led me to believe that the major software update is finished, but not released. My dealer said maybe 2 or 3 weeks, but neither one seemed very confident about when it would be delivered.

I got off the phone, and I just wasn't feeling to sure about it.

Wait...is this deja vu?

Yesterday, I was getting ready to pull out from a shopping center....there was a gap in the traffic....a BIG one. I thought, can I make it? I should not have to think like this. I never thought about it with any other car I owned. I waited, then another gap in traffic, so I pulled out, and what do you know....it hesitated again. Go figure.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:02 PM
HMFIC

Quote:
In a conversation today with BMW North America and my local dealer, they led me to believe that the major software update is finished, but not released. My dealer said maybe 2 or 3 weeks, but neither one seemed very confident about when it would be delivered.

I got off the phone, and I just wasn't feeling to sure about it.

Wait...is this deja vu?

Yesterday, I was getting ready to pull out from a shopping center....there was a gap in the traffic....a BIG one. I thought, can I make it? I should not have to think like this. I never thought about it with any other car I owned. I waited, then another gap in traffic, so I pulled out, and what do you know....it hesitated again. Go figure.
Good news on the software fix. I hope....

I have the exact same hesitation issue. It only seems to happen when I press down on the accelorator quickly. And I don't think it's all transmission related. Like it's bogging the engine. I did some testing and noticed that it will even do it in neutral. If I stab at the gas pedal, the engine first sputters and then picks up rpms. Definitely not what you'd expect from the "engineering masterpiece" of an engine.

I had the DME and Transmission Control Module reprogrammed on 11/2/07 with latest SIBs at the time (240807 and 121707). Hopefully this newest does both again and fixes it for good.

What's the word Vatkens? How about some info?

Old 06-10-2008, 08:59 PM

I am so sick of the transmission issues on my X3. All we keep hearing is that BMW is "working on a fix". How long does it take?

I'm counting the months till the lease is up on this piece of garbage, so I can replace it with something other than the "Ultimate Driving Machine."
2002 X5 (retired)
1999 Z3 (retired)
1990 535i (retired)
1986 528e (retired)
1978 733i (retired)
1977 320i (retired)
1972 Bavaria (retired)
1970 2002 (retired)
Old 06-10-2008, 09:46 PM

why keep paying? why don't you ask for a trade assist?

-----

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
Old 06-11-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjboyd View Post
why keep paying? why don't you ask for a trade assist?
If they could trade assist me into something other than another BMW, I would.
2002 X5 (retired)
1999 Z3 (retired)
1990 535i (retired)
1986 528e (retired)
1978 733i (retired)
1977 320i (retired)
1972 Bavaria (retired)
1970 2002 (retired)