Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
that would be called a buy back. they can do that.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 06-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3 2007 3.0si AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjboyd View Post
that would be called a buy back. they can do that.
KJ, trade-assist or buy back, you made it sound so easy. I don't know how you did it. For over a year since my first complaint, first they gave me two software updates, then they say it's the characteristics. When I made a written complaint, they say try this update first, but there were no newer update. Then they say there is a newer update, but no there wasn't any. Then they say I didn't have the latest update, it's a communication problem with the dealer. Now they say there is a version 30 that I should try first... I've driven 2 of their E90 loaner automatics, it's also horrible, except I didn't experience the 3 second pause I sometimes get in the X3 nor the sudden surge of power. I just don't understand how they can put their logo on these cars the way they drive... One loaner that I liked, the E90 320i manual transmission...
Old 06-11-2008, 11:16 AM

sadly, I think it's much easier in the States. It seems like BMW CA isn't as responsive. I'm sorry about that.

-----
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
Old 06-11-2008, 11:18 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
I have the same issue regarding the transmission on my 2008 328i. Is it possible that the automatic 6 speed gearbox is the same as the X3 and thus the same problem? I have taken it in once to the dealer but they just blow me off...they wouldn't even look at it. Please advise what course of action I can take.

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2008, 07:08 AM

yes, it is the same transmission, read through the entire thread. and not much as this point s they deny there is a problem.

-----

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
Old 06-12-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loumeister View Post
I have the same issue regarding the transmission on my 2008 328i. Is it possible that the automatic 6 speed gearbox is the same as the X3 and thus the same problem? I have taken it in once to the dealer but they just blow me off...they wouldn't even look at it. Please advise what course of action I can take.

Thanks!
Document all your concerns and communications with BMW.

Investigate whether the Lemon Law applicable to your State can help you:
http://www.lemonlawsusa.com/

File a complaint with NHTSA if it's a safety issue:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Your can also look at other people's complaints with NHTSA on this link:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complai...aintsearch.cfm
Old 06-26-2008, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: Pilot
Just dropped off my X3 yesterday. They said its normal.

I've been experiencing typical tranny behaviour and I only drive it part of the time.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:53 PM
HMFIC

Mein Auto: 2002 ///M3
My wife's been driving the X3 for the past 2 days since her water pump decided to cool off the entire engine compartment in her Liberty. She says to me "I see what you mean with the transmission. It shifts abruptly at odd times, hunts for gears, and is way slow to downshift".

Also had my mechanic drive it home and keep it overnight the last time I was in for an oil change. He said the same things. Said he'd keep an eye out for any updated software that might help.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:56 PM

"Normal" and "right" are two different things.

-----

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
Old 06-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Welll...what the heck: We took Mrs. Wingspan's 2007 May build X3 3.0Si in for it's annual service this week.

Based on the reported problems with the transmission, and the fact it did seem to Mrs. W that it was driving "wierd", asked for them to look to see if there was anything to do.

The service write up is as follows:

"C/S vehicle hesitating from a stop can feel engine and hear wind up before moving and also states happening slow cornering."

Without prompting they said the would keep the car overnight for "reprogramming".

On the result part of the write up is the following:

"DME and EGS software error as per SIB 24 08 07. Reprogramming DME, DME Failed. Attempted to reprogram EGS. EGS Failed. Performed Battery reset. Restarted PROGMAN session and was able to reprogram DME and then reprogrammed EGS correctly. Cleared fault memory and set steering angle sensor. Vehicle will need to be driven so transmission can adapt to customer's driving habits and will progressively shift better."

So, I guess we "got" the update - I drove it a short while this afternoon and it definitely feels "punchier" off the line - much like when we first got the vehicle.

Mrs. W also stated she noticed a big difference (I've mentioned Mrs. W. does not drive slowly ) and was pleasantly surprised.

I dunno, maybe we've gotten used to the transmission after a year or so and didn't realize what it's supposed to feel like.

I think the fact that my SA did the update without blinking an eye means at least here in Central Fl, it's a pretty common thing now.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan View Post
Welll...what the heck: We took Mrs. Wingspan's 2007 May build X3 3.0Si in for it's annual service this week.

Based on the reported problems with the transmission, and the fact it did seem to Mrs. W that it was driving "wierd", asked for them to look to see if there was anything to do.
That sounds pretty similar to my experience with the update I had performed on my X3. I noticed a dramatic improvement, although it did seem to backslide a bit after I'd driven it for a week. I'd say over all it solved 80% of the driveability issue for my X3. I'm hoping the rumors of another update coming in a few months are true, and that it gets the problem 100% resolved. I'm still always blown away at the difference when I drive my wife's 2006 X3 -- very crisp and sharp acceleration, no lurching or hesitation, and you can barely feel the gears shifting. Quite a difference.

Thanks for posting your experience -- nice to know dealers are more aware of the issue now!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Go Mountaineers!

Mein Auto: 2002 M3 Vert
I just had mine reprogramed last week. So far the hesitation is greatly reduced, the transmission shifts better in most cases, and the lag between shifts is gone. I've noticed that automatic downshifts are more pronounced, but IMO that's not an issue for me. All in all, IMO, the problems are 90% resolved, which is to say that the transmission's formerly clunky behavior is no longer the dominant trait. The most noticeable fix is acceleration off-idle; lurch, hesitation and/or jerky takeoff are greatly reduced. The car really is MUCH more fun to drive.

My SA told me another update is forthcoming in the next month or two; I may consider having it done, but at this point I can honestly say that if I don't, it will be no big deal.

Driver8
2002 TiAg M3 Convertible
Missed: '06 750i/'07 X3/'06 330i/'04 X5/'04 325i/'03 530i/'02 X5/'98 528i/'95 M3
Old 07-08-2008, 10:42 AM

Version 30.01

Driver8, thanks for your post. I had mine updated June 10, with version 30.01 as the service order says. I was happier at first but let me put it this way, after 4 weeks I am no longer impressed with it.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Go Mountaineers!

That's good to know. I need to go back to my service order and see which version I got. I'll keep a close eye on it and see if the positive changes deteriorate or otherwise relapse and I'll report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ml View Post
Driver8, thanks for your post. I had mine updated June 10, with version 30.01 as the service order says. I was happier at first but let me put it this way, after 4 weeks I am no longer impressed with it.

Driver8
2002 TiAg M3 Convertible
Missed: '06 750i/'07 X3/'06 330i/'04 X5/'04 325i/'03 530i/'02 X5/'98 528i/'95 M3
Old 07-09-2008, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
I just had mine reprogramed last week. So far the hesitation is greatly reduced, the transmission shifts better in most cases, and the lag between shifts is gone. I've noticed that automatic downshifts are more pronounced, but IMO that's not an issue for me. All in all, IMO, the problems are 90% resolved, which is to say that the transmission's formerly clunky behavior is no longer the dominant trait. The most noticeable fix is acceleration off-idle; lurch, hesitation and/or jerky takeoff are greatly reduced. The car really is MUCH more fun to drive.

My SA told me another update is forthcoming in the next month or two; I may consider having it done, but at this point I can honestly say that if I don't, it will be no big deal.
Driver8:
How does it perform in SD mode, specifically during the final 2 downshifts when coming to a stop? Is the final downshift in SD mode very abrupt and makes your vehicle lunge forward, especially if you are not carefully controlling the pressure on the brake pedal?

2002 330i - Gray Green Metallic
Old 07-10-2008, 04:27 AM
Go Mountaineers!

CA330i - I didn't notice much difference in SD mode, honestly. I will try to see how it performs under those conditions today and post back my results. I have noticed that the 2-1 downshift when coming to a stop is more abrupt than before, but not in any way unacceptable or unreasonable.

Per my earlier post regarding the procedure that was performed, the service order says, ""DC 24 00 38 61 00. Updated EGS and DME software per SI B24 08 07. DME failed to reprogram on first attempt. DME reprogrammed on second attempt."

The more I drive it, the more I notice it feels like a totally different vehicle. I was set to trade it because it was just no fun to drive; that is not the case any longer. I might just keep it around for a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian330i View Post
Driver8:
How does it perform in SD mode, specifically during the final 2 downshifts when coming to a stop? Is the final downshift in SD mode very abrupt and makes your vehicle lunge forward, especially if you are not carefully controlling the pressure on the brake pedal?

Driver8
2002 TiAg M3 Convertible
Old 07-10-2008, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 & E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post

I will be curious as to your input four months from now.......................................

I said the same thing 4 months ago when I had the same software update in my 2007 X3 as you did. The hesitation was gone and the downshifting was more pronounced and efficient than prior to the update.

Unfortunately, 4 months later this transmission is far worse than before I had the update done. The downshifting is now erratic and very jerky and holds the downshifted gear far too long on even the mildest elevated roads. Even the shifting into higher gears was much more smooth before I had this update done.

I find I have to often switch to manual mode to get the X3 to shift to a higher gear because it is revving too high in the automatic mode when under a modest load - really a joke in my opinion. SP mode is so jerky and erratic I just don't use it at all.

The passengers I carry in the X3 wonder what is wrong with 1) My driving skills and 2) why this BMW is so jerky in shifting that it makes them uncomfortable.

In some of my previous posts I exuded some tolerance to this issue but frankly I am getting more and more annoyed and embarrassed by this issue the longer I own this car. The end result is I now find my self driving the X3 in manual mode 75% of the time or more to avoid all of these issues.

Hint for BMW USA: If I wanted to do this, I would have bought a manual trannsmision!

This transmission and its software is an embarrassment for BMW as far as I am concerned.

I only hope someday BMW gets there act together and issues a software SIB that actually permanently fixes this issue!

Cheers,

BB

Last edited by berbutler; 07-10-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:00 PM
HMFIC

Mein Auto: 2002 ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by berbutler View Post
I will be curious as to your input four months from now.......................................

I said the same thing 4 months ago when I had the same software update in my 2007 X3 as you did. The hesitation was gone and the downshifting was more pronounced and efficient than prior to the update.

Unfortunately, 4 months later this transmission is far worse than before I had the update done. The downshifting is now erratic and very jerky and holds the downshifted gear far too long on even the mildest elevated roads. Even the shifting into higher gears was much more smooth before I had this update done.

I find I have to often switch to manual mode to get the X3 to shift to a higher gear because it is revving too high in the automatic mode when under a modest load - really a joke in my opinion. SP mode is so jerky and erratic I just don't use it at all.

The passengers I carry in the X3 wonder what is wrong with 1) My driving skills and 2) why this BMW is so jerky in shifting that it makes them uncomfortable.

In some of my previous posts I exuded some tolerance to this issue but frankly I am getting more and more annoyed and embarrassed by this issue the longer I own this car. The end result is I now find my self driving the X3 in manual mode 75% of the time or more to avoid all of these issues.

Hint for BMW USA: If I wanted to do this, I would have bought a manual trannsmision!

This transmission and its software is an embarrassment for BMW as far as I am concerned.

I only hope someday BMW gets there act together and issues a software SIB that actually permanently fixes this issue!

Cheers,

BB
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Robot who will be in touch with you soon.

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to someone in another department who may call you soon.

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've added you to my ignore list, so this message will not be read by a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative.

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I'm only allowed to type the following due to the possibility of lawsuits.

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

I'm not really with BMW of North America, LLC. I'm just another 2007 Automatic X3 owner in the same bind as you waiting for the next update and HOPEFULLY some info from our pal Vatkens and I won't be in touch with you soon.

Ugh......

Old 07-10-2008, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 330Xi, Acura RDX, 968
I haven't been here since I decided not to buy an X3 due to all the transmission issues. I see little has changed. Although some people have managed to resolve things.
Just curious, those that continue to experience problems with a $40,000 dollar + car why do you not write BMW corporate directly. Unless BMW really does run this site under the guise of someone else and you are waiting to get annointed by the blessed Vatkens. It seems to me that with over twenty thousand hits on this thread that there is power in numbers. Sorry to seem so callous, but stop whining and do something.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:28 PM

Mein Auto: 08 x3
Hey, newbie from Seattle here. Coming up on 2 months in my 08 x3. I've been lurking here for awhile and have been reserving judgment on the tranny in my vehicle until I passed 1500 miles and got a bit of perspective. Well, it will come as no surprise to most of you that the shifting is unquestionably jerky, with all of the associated problems already outlined here quite eloquently. Nothing too new to add other than another voice of incredulity that this has been going on for 2 model years without a recall or at the very least a truly effective software update. It is really disheartening to hear of others' short-lived improvements only becoming equally bad or worse from the original transmission's behavior. Sheesh. I'll be contacting my CA at BMW Seattle soon and asking what he advises on this one-- should I wait for a better update/solution or get it fixed now? I'm really quite curious to see how he responds to my complaint about the tranny. Should be interesting.

On the plus side, I love just about everything else about the car. I too have been driving it in manual mode most of the time, and it is a real joy, except when I'm trying to drink my morning coffee. It's the fact that they're otherwise so close to a phenomenal car that this transmission issue is so ridiculous (and of course the price tag). Particularly in light of the fact that previous model years (04-06) apparently had it right...

Best--
Greg
Old 07-13-2008, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: '07 X3, '06 Charger R/T
More of the same...

Like many others, we had the software update done about five months ago. Slight improvement, but now the car has no idea it should upshift on an incline and still is the worst shifting car I've ever owned. Thankfully, we only leased for 24 months. Maybe they'll have the mess sorted out before we turn it in...
Old 07-14-2008, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP
Just wanted to chime in on this thread, now that we've owned our CPO 2007 X3 for 2 months. This is my wife's car; it's our 3rd BMW and the first one with an auto transmission (oh, the shame!). Before buying the car, I was aware of the problem and test-drove it specifically with this in mind. It was (and is) noticeable, but it wasn't bad enough to take the X3 off the top of our "favorites" list.

Now that I've lived with the car for two months, and had the chance to drive it on a number of familiar roads, I'm anxiously awaiting the fix from BMW. My wife still loves the X3, but the auto transmission really takes away from the whole BMW experience in my opinion. What were those engineers thinking!?!?!?

So I'm actively following this thread, waiting for a fix from BMW. Maybe this SIB 24 08 07 is the fix...time will tell.

Regards,
Steve
2007 X3 (her car)
2004 330i ZHP (my fun car)
2008 Infiniti G35x (my commuter car; has a good auto transmission)
Old 07-14-2008, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: MY13 X5 3.5i Prem.
I have been a little bit active in this thread but haven't been back to update... I had made an appointment a few months ago to have my tranny checked out but it seemed to have stopped acting up so I cancelled the appt. Then about 2 weeks ago, my tranny made some crazy shifts and the service engine light came on... it was driving TERRIBLY! So I brought the car in, they made a few adjustments, did some tranny programming to the "latest" FW and DME. Took the car home, it was driving VERY nicely, for about 6 hours. The next day I noticed a significant decline in the quality of shifts, going back to rough shifting and gear hunting. I left it alone, it sort of went away. Was driving today and all of the sudden during a right turn, the car made some crazy shifts again and the service engine light came on. It's driving like crap yet again, with very rough shifts, lack of shifts (will stay below 2000 rpm even with the pedal on the floor!) so no acceleration, and severe gear hunting problems. They are taking it back on Sat. to look at it again so we'll see what happens. But I must say, this is ridiculous already!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycrazyy View Post
I have been a little bit active in this thread but haven't been back to update... I had made an appointment a few months ago to have my tranny checked out but it seemed to have stopped acting up so I cancelled the appt. Then about 2 weeks ago, my tranny made some crazy shifts and the service engine light came on... it was driving TERRIBLY! So I brought the car in, they made a few adjustments, did some tranny programming to the "latest" FW and DME. Took the car home, it was driving VERY nicely, for about 6 hours. The next day I noticed a significant decline in the quality of shifts, going back to rough shifting and gear hunting. I left it alone, it sort of went away. Was driving today and all of the sudden during a right turn, the car made some crazy shifts again and the service engine light came on. It's driving like crap yet again, with very rough shifts, lack of shifts (will stay below 2000 rpm even with the pedal on the floor!) so no acceleration, and severe gear hunting problems. They are taking it back on Sat. to look at it again so we'll see what happens. But I must say, this is ridiculous already!
there have been a few reports of all out Transmission Failure for these cars.

-----

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
Old 07-15-2008, 11:06 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
Well I had the trans reprogrammed again, This is time number 2 with the same result. Everything was great for the ride home, and a short one at that. There was much noticeable improvement. I get a 10 mile trip and the car sits while I go to work. When I start it up that night, back to the same nonsense! This is really ridiculous! They had the car for a whole day, while I drove a 528 Xi loaner. That thing was smooth and very nice. My X3 frustrates me every time I drive it. I guess I will have to continue to do the herky jerky for 21 more months (when my lease runs out).