Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-08-2008, 06:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw 2007 x3
Hi,
We took our 2007 x3 in for the first oil change and gave them the info on the tranny posted above. They did it and now the tranny works fine.
This makes the SUV as near perfect as humanly possible except its beauty . Not pretty but very functional which proves that something or someone
don't need to be beautiful to be loved eh?

George Allan
Old 08-08-2008, 08:53 AM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
You are very lucky that "it works fine". Good for you! I had ANOTHER update done Monday. The regional rep and tech rode together on my car (or so they say). While there seems to be a noticeable improvement, I am still experiencing some rough downshifting. I don't want to sound negative, but I am waiting to see if things deteriorate. That has been the trend. I will post back here if anything changes.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:58 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

I am experimenting with manual mode and am wondering if this will affect the transmission's "learning" my driving habits. I'm hoping that learning is only done in auto mode. Having had an update done recently, I assume that the trans is now restarting the process of adapting to my driving style. Can someone clarify?
Old 08-11-2008, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ronnie View Post
I am experimenting with manual mode and am wondering if this will affect the transmission's "learning" my driving habits. I'm hoping that learning is only done in auto mode. Having had an update done recently, I assume that the trans is now restarting the process of adapting to my driving style. Can someone clarify?
Using the car in manual mode does NOT affect the transmission's adaptation. No need to worry.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:33 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledeclutch View Post
Using the car in manual mode does NOT affect the transmission's adaptation. No need to worry.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: MY13 X5 3.5i Prem.
Another day, another dollar. I am really just sick of this car now. If you look back one page, I picked my car up on 7/24 after I had brought it in about 2 weeks prior due to the car suddenly starting to shift TERRIBLY or not at all and the service engine light came on. They "fixed" it and 2 weeks later (7/23) same problem. Picked up 7/24 and all has been same old crappy since then. Earlier this week, guess what happened? Took a left turn, the tranny froze up basically not knowing what to do, felt like a rocking horse back and forth. It would not shift down and was in low RPMs, even if I put the petal all the way down. Called, scheduled an appt for tomorrow. The service engine light went off yesterday and then when I was taking a right turn today, same exact thing happened and the service engine light came back on.

Last time they told me the light had NOTHING to do with my tranny... hmmm, so it just so happens that when my car starts shifting like it's a retarded 2nd grader and the light immediately comes on, it must of course be for some other problem!

I am dropping the car off tomorrow, getting a loaner and telling them to keep this heap of crap until they actually fix it. I'll happily put miles on their loaner while mine sits there collecting dust. It really is the ultimate driving experience... to the dealer.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
hmmm... they'll recall for an airbag sensor but not a transmission.. shame on you BMW.

Ycrazy: insist on a trade assist and let them know you are contacting an attorney to secure your rights as a consumer in the state of New York.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 08-15-2008, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Over on the X5 board they are also having hesitation problems. Since the X5 does not use the "dreaded" GM sourced transmission perhaps it is a BMW software problem for both 6 speeds. Our old friend Vakins has appeared there too.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:22 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
I will keep my comments limited to get a manual. It works perfectly. Draw your own conclusions from my previous posts and now.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0i & '08 X3.0si
Although I've not driven my manual X3 much this summer (the Z3 roadster is my "go to" rig this time of year), it has performed perfectly since that first drive off the dealer's lot. I do hope BMW figures out the problems with their automatic transmissions' poor performance - from the other vehicle forums it appears also that the problems are not limited to the X3, which is a shame. While I am perfectly happy having a SUV with a manual transmission, I realize there are many other BMW enthusiasts that cannot go with a manual. For those good folks, BMW needs to act, and act fast and responsibly to take care this problem. It's simply the right thing to do. In the meantime, next summer I need to get my daughter into the driver's seat of my manual X3 to learn how to work the stick so that she too can join the ranks of those working the three pedals.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Could not agree more about having one's child learn a stick! I taught both my girls on a Honda Accord (I think each one used up a clutch!) and although both now drive automatics they did for years drive sticks, starting with that poor Honda. Each have thanked me for my insistance on them learning to drive a manual transmission. I wanted them to know how to operate a manual transmission in case they ever faced a situation where their driver was incapacated and they needed to drive. Unfortunately in our area the traffic is so awful that driving a stick in stop and go gridlock is more hassle than its worth so it is automatics from here on out for me.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:40 PM

Well no word from the dealer yet, but honestly... I'm in no hurry. They gave me a really nice 08 335xi fully loaded (49k sticker, it was in the trunk ). So I am having a blast driving this thing around, it's so much fun! Makes the X3 seem like a go kart in terms of torque / responsiveness.

As for the auto vs. manual argument, I know how to drive a manual but in my area (NYC) a manual is definitely NOT recommended. Way too much traffic, mostly stop and go to deal with it.

Hey vatkens, I see you all over the X5 board as of 2 days ago... how come I don't get a PM?

Last edited by ycrazyy; 08-16-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:00 AM

Oh, and I forgot to add to this whole mess... my dealer is a BMW NA owned dealership, not even some privately owned one that has no idea what they're doing.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycrazyy View Post

As for the auto vs. manual argument, I know how to drive a manual but in my area (NYC) a manual is definitely NOT recommended. Way too much traffic, mostly stop and go to deal with it.
+1

I've never seen the point of anyone who's written "get a manual" as part of this issue.
You're definitely right that a manual transmission is not an option for anyone not living in the sticks that has to confront major stop n' go traffic.

But beyond that--one should get a working functional car as you ordered and paid for.
Otherwise BMW shouldn't off the automatic transmission as an option.
That way at least you'd only be able to get what worked.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:28 PM

Mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sans Nil View Post
+1

I've never seen the point of anyone who's written "get a manual" as part of this issue.
You're definitely right that a manual transmission is not an option for anyone not living in the sticks that has to confront major stop n' go traffic.

But beyond that--one should get a working functional car as you ordered and paid for.
Otherwise BMW shouldn't off the automatic transmission as an option.
That way at least you'd only be able to get what worked.
Not to debate you on this but Washington DC is far from the stix. I was trying to point out that this manual transmission is far from manual. This is so easy to drive you forget it is one.

My daily commute can run as much as 2 1/2 hours one way to go 25 miles.

It may not be the answer for some of you, but don't dismiss it right away for those of you who may be on the fence on buying one.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 08-18-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Not to debate you on this but Washington DC is far from the stix. I was trying to point out that this manual transmission is far from manual. This is so easy to drive you forget it is one.

My daily commute can run as much as 2 1/2 hours one way to go 25 miles.

It may not be the answer for some of you, but don't dismiss it right away for those of you who may be on the fence on buying one.
Point taken that I suppose it doesn't matter if someone is willing to live with a manual transmission even in an area with heavy stop-n-go traffic. And to be clear I wasn't trying to besmirch anyone's locale and probably suffer from clean-air envy for those of us living in less urban areas. I've tried using my X3 in manual mode which still involved far more shifting interaction than I personally found preferable and I imagine that's even less work than a real manual transmission's clutching. If someone's on the fence I would agree not to dismiss it outright, but just think it through if you can really live with it if you do have to drive frequently in stop-n-go traffic.

But the real point is, if BMW sells an X3 with automatic transmission, and I as a customer select that as the option I want, it darn well should work. There's really no way around that.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0i & '08 X3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sans Nil View Post
But the real point is, if BMW sells an X3 with automatic transmission, and I as a customer select that as the option I want, it darn well should work. There's really no way around that.
Absolutely.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:14 AM

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans nil View Post

but the real point is, if bmw sells an x3 with automatic transmission, and i as a customer select that as the option i want, it darn well should work. There's really no way around that.

ditto +1
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 08-19-2008, 01:27 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlengr View Post
ditto +1
+2!
Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Your Wish Is Granted

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 MT
The fact that a true fix has taken so incredibly long has made me wonder if there is an underlying mechanical issue.
However, now that the gang on the X5 board are voicing similar complaints makes it once again seem like software as the X5's use a German ZF transmission vs. our GM transmissions.
I also see people voicing similar complaints with the 328Xi on the 3 series board.
So the common denominator appears to be the six speed all wheel drive transmission software.
I guess we shall see what becomes of the supposed update due this fall.
If they don't fix it in the next software update, I am beginning to doubt they ever will.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:10 AM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltar View Post
The fact that a true fix has taken so incredibly long has made me wonder if there is an underlying mechanical issue.
However, now that the gang on the X5 board are voicing similar complaints makes it once again seem like software as the X5's use a German ZF transmission vs. our GM transmissions.
I also see people voicing similar complaints with the 328Xi on the 3 series board.
So the common denominator appears to be the six speed all wheel drive transmission software.
I guess we shall see what becomes of the supposed update due this fall.
If they don't fix it in the next software update, I am beginning to doubt they ever will.
Supposed update? Please let us know if you hear anything about this, as I have not.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:16 PM

Well picked up my X3 today from the dealer (god, I miss that 335xi SOOOO much already). They found a fault code #2E69, found and replaced the knock? sensor and lists a Ping sensor in the parts area. Said they found no other faults, recalibrated EGS and road tested.

Haven't had a chance to drive it anywhere yet so I don't know if it's any better... guess I will have to wait and see.

Anyway, what on earth is a Knock / Ping sensor?? And why would it affect my car's shifting?
Old 08-20-2008, 06:59 PM
HMFIC

Mein Auto: 2002 ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycrazyy View Post
Well picked up my X3 today from the dealer (god, I miss that 335xi SOOOO much already). They found a fault code #2E69, found and replaced the knock? sensor and lists a Ping sensor in the parts area. Said they found no other faults, recalibrated EGS and road tested.

Haven't had a chance to drive it anywhere yet so I don't know if it's any better... guess I will have to wait and see.

Anyway, what on earth is a Knock / Ping sensor?? And why would it affect my car's shifting?
Without a functional sensor it wouldn't be retahded!

The knock/ping sensor retards ignition timing when it detects detonation in the cylinder. Or something like that.
I'm not a mechanic, so I have no idea wtf I'm talking about. Now back to Tropic Thunder...

Old 08-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Your Wish Is Granted

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ronnie View Post
Supposed update? Please let us know if you hear anything about this, as I have not.
Many here have been told that another program update is coming this Sept./
Oct.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:56 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltar View Post
Many here have been told that another program update is coming this Sept./
Oct.
Would this be the solution for the problem that doesn't exist?

The dealer just told me that they can't notify me of software updates as they are not told when they are available but I would receive them at the time of vehicle service. I said that getting fixes at service time doesn't work for me as I have had 2 updates in the first year prior to my first 25,000 service. I said that I would cruise the forums and advise them of the updates just like I did for the first two. I think I will get a new license plate - "LASTBMW".