Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-01-2008, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Update: We've driven our 08 X3 almost 5,000 miles and the transmission is much better than the 07. Still not perfect, but much better.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012-535i
OK, my wife's 2007 X-3 had all the updates last April when it was in for its first oil change. The transmission worked reasonably well for about two weeks and then it was back to its old jerky, hesitating ways.

I've looked through this thread and I can't see where there has been any major break through since then. It's going in for the Oil Service later this week and I'm wondering if it's worth bothering with another re-programming. Has anyone had a more positive experience the second time around?

It now has about 17,000 on it and has been pretty much trouble free except for this miserable excuse for a transmission.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:11 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
I just had mine done (see my earlier post in this thread). It's slowly going back to it's old ways. There was a noticeable improvement for a decent amount of time. It wouldn't hurt to ask for the latest update, but don't expect too much either. I'm at 15k miles.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Your Wish Is Granted

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530CE View Post
I've looked through this thread and I can't see where there has been any major break through since then.
Correct.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2012-535i
Thanks everyone. By the way I have noticed a very decent improvement in the shifting if I drive it in manual for a while. I see where there were discussions on this a couple of weeks ago and the thought was using manual does not affect the shifting in automatic mode. It actually helps ours enough that I don't worry about it all that much.

OK, it may be psychological but the difference is very noticeable. Every once and a while my ’08 535i will shift a little strange and if I drive it in manual for a while it too seems better. Of course getting heavy on the 535 is so much fun I might not notice much of anything else. Mine is not all wheel drive so that’s not a factor.

Maybe we’re all a little nuts to spend this much money on vehicles. I wonder what a Ford Fusion drives like………………..Whew I’m over that already.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:57 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530CE View Post
Thanks everyone. By the way I have noticed a very decent improvement in the shifting if I drive it in manual for a while. I see where there were discussions on this a couple of weeks ago and the thought was using manual does not affect the shifting in automatic mode. It actually helps ours enough that I don't worry about it all that much.

OK, it may be psychological but the difference is very noticeable. Every once and a while my ’08 535i will shift a little strange and if I drive it in manual for a while it too seems better. Of course getting heavy on the 535 is so much fun I might not notice much of anything else. Mine is not all wheel drive so that’s not a factor.

Maybe we’re all a little nuts to spend this much money on vehicles. I wonder what a Ford Fusion drives like………………..Whew I’m over that already.
No offense, but I think it's psychological. I wish it was that easy.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The Fusion I drove as a recent rental actually surprised me. With some decent rims and tires it would be quite a nice little ride IMHO. As far as cost, Edmunds says that the True Cost to Own for a Fusion is $44K and the X3's cost is $71K for 5 years. Certainly apples and oranges but interesting to me anyway. Oh yes, the automatic in the Fusion was flawless, just like the 5 speed X3.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 & E46 M3
September Update?

So whatever happened to the alleged September update that was going to fix the transmission issues use for once and for all?

BB
Old 09-12-2008, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: X3
X3 Transmission Problems

It appears that BMW has loaded a fix to my transmission which eliminates the hesitation problem but the car now has a very rough downshift - particularly in low speeds and an occasional bang during downshift. This is not what I expected from the ultimate driving machine. I have contacted BMW of North America and they had their regional technical engineer check out the car. He said the the transmission is "the epitome of an X3 transmission" and functioning as designed.

I am attempting to trade-in or sell the X3 - this has been a terrible experience with BMW.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: '07 X3, '03 Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRaleighNewX3 View Post
It appears that BMW has loaded a fix to my transmission which eliminates the hesitation problem but the car now has a very rough downshift - particularly in low speeds and an occasional bang during downshift. This is not what I expected from the ultimate driving machine. I have contacted BMW of North America and they had their regional technical engineer check out the car. He said the the transmission is "the epitome of an X3 transmission" and functioning as designed.

I am attempting to trade-in or sell the X3 - this has been a terrible experience with BMW.
Quote From Dictionary--epitome-[B]1. a person or thing that is typical of or possesses to a high degree the features of a whole class: He is the epitome of goodness. [/B]
HA-HA-Goodness????? Features of a whole class???? I really liked my '07 X3 other than the trans--not knowing what it would do or when it would do it convinced me to trade it. I have driven economy rentals that had better transmissions. I do not miss it. I had loaner X3's (2004) an X5 (frightful vehicle) and 2, 3 series--The '04 X3 drove much better than my "07--I asked the dealer to swap drive trains- The X5 was over the top in technology and the 3 series were not impressive.. I lost interest in BMW--except for my Z4 which is a great vehicle.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:12 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dug01 View Post
Quote From Dictionary--epitome-[B]1. a person or thing that is typical of or possesses to a high degree the features of a whole class: He is the epitome of goodness. [/B]
HA-HA-Goodness????? Features of a whole class???? I really liked my '07 X3 other than the trans--not knowing what it would do or when it would do it convinced me to trade it. I have driven economy rentals that had better transmissions. I do not miss it. I had loaner X3's (2004) an X5 (frightful vehicle) and 2, 3 series--The '04 X3 drove much better than my "07--I asked the dealer to swap drive trains- The X5 was over the top in technology and the 3 series were not impressive.. I lost interest in BMW--except for my Z4 which is a great vehicle.
LOL Epitome doesn't mean goodness. That sentence in your definition was an example of it's use. If the dealer knew what he was saying, he was saying that the tranny was as true as a X3 tranny can be - functioning as designed and as it should. In other words, he was saying there was nothing wrong with it.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: '07 X3, '03 Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
If the dealer knew what he was saying, he was saying that the tranny was as true as a X3 tranny can be - functioning as designed and as it should. In other words, he was saying there was nothing wrong with it.

Nothing wrong??? That's even funnier.....
Old 09-15-2008, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 - 330 Ci ZBC ZAM
Epitome could work as stated by the engineer, as it is a typical example of an X3 transmission (not necessarily good or bad), it is quite a creative way to make a negative comment making it subject to interpretation and without lying. Anyways, I digress...

I am from Canada, and was about to purchase a 2007 X3 si (which I was to find out sold at auction from a BMW dealer in Allentown PA...I won't mention the dealer, and purchased by a Toronto dealer). Before I went to purchase, I looked up info about the X3 2007, and found only positive posts, I did find mention of some small issues with the 2005-06 models (a few issues with a noisy rough ride, but nothing significant), but the 2007 was all good.

So on Saturday september 13, 2008 I went to see the car (nice color, great condition...inside yellow leather was a little sucky, but at the price $33,950 (understand the same model costs us Canadians $54K for the SI). Now the car was parked behind another car in the back area, and I didn't think much about it, since I never test drove a BMW before I bought it (didn't on my first or second and this is my third), and no real issues, and any small issues have been corrected first time around and under warranty). Based on my positive experience, and all the positives I read, I didn't bother to ask them to test drive (which looking back now I guess I should have), I noticed the only issue was a "check engine light" when I put the key in the on position. Didn't think much about it, since it usually is a small issue (based on the mileage on the car), and since the car is still under BMW warranty, I had no concerns. I signed and left (ready to pick up my vehicle on Wed (two days from today). Well yesterday I went to do a quick check of "check engine light" 2007 BMW X3 and bang....I hit this thread, and for four the next 4 hours I read all 24 pages, and everyone's posts in absolute horror.

Anyways, I didn't think that just because one light was on, it was a sign that the transmission was the issue (since there is no direct and constant correlation), so I did a quick preliminary carfax search of the VIN (the original one provided by the deal was a carproof, with no service information), and carfax stated the vehicle had 8 service records available, so I decided it was worth the $30 to find out about a 38K (lots of taxes in Ontario) purchase. Well I did, and was not happy anymore.

Here is the time line of the vehicle...pay attention to the two scary words listed below, and the fact that they apparently did nothing. Which I guess because PA has the strongest lemon laws (thanks to someone who pointed that out in a prior post), and stating anything that would inidicate acknowledgment of a problem, or any type of attempted fix, could be used in court to prove financial liability. Although, I don't see how that matters, as any civil case is a preponderance of evidence, and not "beyond a reasonable doubt", so anyone who decided to initiate legal action, had a good chance of a successful outcome (including punitive, just for the fact that the dealer would not admit to the problem), with a few affadivits and expert testimony off a neutral third party who tested the vehicle independently. Anyways.....

The car hit US customs from Germany on 2/28/07
The car was serviced 3/13/07 with 10 miles (hmm...okay just normal I guess).
The X3 was offered for sale on 3/13/07.
Then on 05/11/07 at 11 miles, the vehicle was serviced (weird...but perhaps it was because someone was buying it and maybe PA law).
On may 23, 07 the vehicle sold.
On nov 7, 2007 at 12,080 miles the vehicle came in for service, all is good!
On january 28,2008 @18,582 the vehicle was serviced....oil changed....oh no...what's this..."transmission checked".
Then on March 12, 2008 @21,520 the vehicle was serviced again....oh no...what's this "transmission checked",
Then on May 20, 2008 @26,393 the vehicle was serviced....oh no what's this "transmission checked"
Then on June 17, 2008 @ 28,450 the vehicle was offered for sale (BMW dealer same one all along...sold it, serviced it, and reselling it).
Then on July 08, 2008 @28,451 the vehicle was serviced.
Then on July 24, 2008 @28,585 the dealer sells the car at auction, and listed the vehicle as a "dealer vehicle"

I am just curious, but those without any hesitation issues, have you hit a somewhat significant amount of mileage (like 20K). Not that I am trying to scare you, for all I know, the individual who purchased the vehicle which I was about to purchase actually had troubles from the beginning and it just happened that some service records were not available to carfax, and it could have been an issue from the beginning and didn't just start when it claims to have started. Anyone have any idea how carfax gets service reports?

Thanks
QJ

PS - Just a quick clarification, the dealer that purchased the car at auction is in no way a BMW dealer (just one of those "independents". I realize that my post may not have been "crystal" clear. I also want to point out that the BMW dealer in Allentown, did not attempt to sell the vehicle as a CPO, so a little positive there.

Last edited by QuantumJump; 09-16-2008 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Clarification of one point
Old 09-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Your Wish Is Granted

Wow I'm sorry Quantum.
I think you just joined our club....welcome.
Manual mode is your friend.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltar View Post
Wow I'm sorry Quantum.
I think you just joined our club....welcome.
Manual mode is your friend.
Thanks Zoltar,

Although I did kind of "visit" the club, I am not an official member.

I will not be taking possession of the vehicle, and based on Ontario law, if they try and withhold one dime of my $500 deposit (which is by credit card), I will lodge a formal complaint of non-compliance with the OMVIC and the DMVA, for non-disclosure of a material fact (drivetrain issues past and/or ongoing which even my limited due diligence was able to uncover), and further, because they put on the contract "daily rental" (which I still don't know how they have got that on there with me seeing... they must have done that when they brought it to be checked and signed, after I already checked it, as I would NOT have signed if I saw that).

I also have them on advertisement violations. The MVDA (motor vehicles dealer act) states the following

3.8 DISCLOSURE OF VEHICLE HISTORY

3.8.2 Advertisements of a specific used vehicle disclose all known material facts about the prior regular use of the vehicle, including if it was a:

(a) Daily rental that was not previously owned by a consumer

Example of what they should have done

http://www.417nissan.com/en/usedcars...spy?id=2180824

I also question whether or not the interior is leather, so I may have them on consumer fraud as well, but I don't really know. I would need to have someone who knows what leather (as opposed to leatherette) looks like (it feels nothing like my 330, and it just appears to be in to good condition). If someone who has a keen eye can discern leather from leatherette from a picture (pretty good size when expanded), could message me, I will send them a link to the vehicle to check it out.

Thanks,
QJ

Last edited by QuantumJump; 09-16-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Your Wish Is Granted

Good for you Quantum, it sounds like you've got yourself covered.
The X3 really is a great vehicle other than this issue. It's a shame.
It's easy to tell real leather on an X3 as it has the piping on the seams in the front center.
Leatherette does not.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltar View Post
Good for you Quantum, it sounds like you've got yourself covered.
The X3 really is a great vehicle other than this issue. It's a shame.
It's easy to tell real leather on an X3 as it has the piping on the seams in the front center.
Leatherette does not.
I know I like the look, and I was really looking forward to picking up a working vehicle (even though my wife would be driving it, I get to boot around when there is snow on the ground, the fun times). Oh well, at least I won't be having any headaches. The more I am finding out about this dealership, the more I feel I need to warn others once this is over.

Thanks for the tip, I was looking at both pictures of leatherette and leather (confirmed leather and leatherette from BMW.ca inventory pics), and I think I understand what you mean, but I think the picture that contains the seat bottom is at such an unusal angle that it doesn't show the centre of the seat clearly enough, and the back part which looks to be easy enough to discern the two, is not shown at all. Too bad there wasn't a way to check a central database of installed options by VIN number.

Last edited by QuantumJump; 09-16-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
VIN info

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumJump View Post
I know I like the look, and I was really looking forward to picking up a working vehicle (even though my wife would be driving it, I get to boot around when there is snow on the ground, the fun times). Oh well, at least I won't be having any headaches. The more I am finding out about this dealership, the more I feel I need to warn others once this is over.

Thanks for the tip, I was looking at both pictures of leatherette and leather (confirmed leather and leatherette from BMW.ca inventory pics), and I think I understand what you mean, but I think the picture that contains the seat bottom is at such an unusal angle that it doesn't show the centre of the seat clearly enough, and the back part which looks to be easy enough to discern the two, is not shown at all. Too bad there wasn't a way to check a central database of installed options by VIN number.
There is: Ask AznMpower, but I believe you can go to BMW's website and do just that. In the meantime here is a leather seat shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08 BMW 008.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	160381  
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 09-16-2008, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0i & '08 X3.0si
Also, you may go to the Tobacco Lounge here to see pics of my tobacco leather seats.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
There is: Ask AznMpower, but I believe you can go to BMW's website and do just that. In the meantime here is a leather seat shot.
Thanks for the picture, that is a fantastic shot, nice color combo (with all the black carpeting and black center counsole), very sharp looking interior. I see what you guys mean, even with the fuzzy picture I think the seats are leather.

On a side note, I just listened to the conversation my wife had with the sales guy (I set up our system to record all calls....thankfully we live in a one party consent province, which means the calls can be used for litigation purposes), and with the sales reps clarifications, this dealer was deceptive with the financing rate (they used a "bait" rate on the advertisement), further they did not disclose in the conversation that the vehicle was a "daily rental" but rather they went on to state (without even being asked) that the vehicle was a one owner vehicle (that's nice of them, making my case for me).

Either way, all the "hard" evidence speaks to integrity issues. If they withhold even one dime, I feel (nay, I know) that will lead me to great financial hardship.

There is one strange thing, the contract has a preprinted line "If manufacturer warranty applicable, time is measured from " and they typed in "0th" and behind the preprinted 20 (which is used for creating the year) they typed 00 ( indicating no manufacturer warranty exists, another contract alteration, can't prove it though, as who knew I needed to be wired for video, if I ever buy at a non dealer dealership, I will be).

Now I didn't think much about it, but when I look at the things I declined, they also typed in "warranty declined" (now I did decline the extended warranty), and in all other car purchases they were always clear with typing "extended" warranty and always put the exact manufacturer warranty. Normally I wouldn't look at that as suspicious, but with all the other puzzle pieces it seems strange (now as to manufacturers warranty, on that magical voice recording, he states the vehicle has the full manufacturers warranty with complete details of time and KM's of coverage).

I'm just wondering if BMW's that were originally registered in the USA, now have to pay extra to have "manufacturer" coverage if brought into and re-registered in Canada (I have found nothing that would indicate that), but I do find it highly suspect that they would not put in the correct length of the manufacturer's warranty (how I missed that as well is beyond me), after I checked it the first time, I caught a mistake she made...don't recall the mistake, and had to be changed, so maybe the mistake was deliberate, so I wouldn't do as thorough a check the second time around), based on actions, would indicate they did so for a specific reason, but as of yet, have not been able to figure out why.

If anyone has any theories, they would be greatly welcome.

Thanks
QJ
Old 09-17-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry J. Harris View Post
Also, you may go to the Tobacco Lounge here to see pics of my tobacco leather seats.
Nice seats....those are upgrades for sure!
Old 09-21-2008, 02:08 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

I have been getting more frustrated lately, and have noticed more of a lurching on takeoff. Now this is a problem that I have had from day one. I must say that after the last reprogram, things are MUCH better, but not perfect. Downshifts are not consistently rough, and upshifts seem to be normal. My ongoing issue is when starting out from a stop. I recently tried starting out in manual mode and found the exact same thing. So maybe it's not the trans, but it's still a huge unacceptable problem. The exact description is: when I press the accelerator to start the vehicle moving there is a noticeable jerk/lurch. This is the same in both auto and manual mode. Not sure where to go from here, but I'm thinking that a service advisor or tech should ride and observe this. Has anyone else experienced this specific issue? I am not due for service for a while, and don't really have the time to go in for service right now. Every time I go in for trans related issues, all I do is get myself worked up and frustrated. Comments?
Old 09-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
when in manual are you starting in 1st or 2nd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ronnie View Post
I have been getting more frustrated lately, and have noticed more of a lurching on takeoff. Now this is a problem that I have had from day one. I must say that after the last reprogram, things are MUCH better, but not perfect. Downshifts are not consistently rough, and upshifts seem to be normal. My ongoing issue is when starting out from a stop. I recently tried starting out in manual mode and found the exact same thing. So maybe it's not the trans, but it's still a huge unacceptable problem. The exact description is: when I press the accelerator to start the vehicle moving there is a noticeable jerk/lurch. This is the same in both auto and manual mode. Not sure where to go from here, but I'm thinking that a service advisor or tech should ride and observe this. Has anyone else experienced this specific issue? I am not due for service for a while, and don't really have the time to go in for service right now. Every time I go in for trans related issues, all I do is get myself worked up and frustrated. Comments?

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 09-22-2008, 02:56 AM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjboyd View Post
when in manual are you starting in 1st or 2nd?
I should have clarified that. I am starting out in 1st.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x3
I gave up on my x3. The transmission apparently cannot be fixed. My hesitation is better, but sometimes when you start out in the morning, it revs as you press the accelerator down, but the car doesnt move-like its not in gear. You can feel EVERY shift of this thing. That is something that my old jeep did not do. Hands down, the worst car I ever owned!