Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
yes , key just turned to position II

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 02-19-2009, 08:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 X3 3.0si AT
Unhappy A cheap trick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
I hope this solves your issue. Let us know how it goes.

As I said, my engine chip was orginslly wiped out during reprogramming. They were able to resusitate it the next day. I love my X3 since the patches were installed. I hope you have the same reaction!
Thanks madurodave; Why does there always have to be 'Good news & Bad news'??!!

The excellent Service Manager at my BMW Dealer has just spent two days road testing my 3.0si and has given it the green light - great - I have complete faith in him - so all ready to give the AT another shot. That's the good news...

The bad news...While BMW (and it was them - not my dealer - who were having the problems getting it to accept the computer/software etc) were unable for a whole month to even get my X3 to start I was verbally promised by a BMW Customer Service operative (I do have his name & direct email) that I would receive a written Indemnity against any cost to myself should there be any repetition of the well documented AT problem. The moment they actually managed to get it to start - no more contact - no guarantee and even the Dealer can't get him (BMW) to respond!!

So my X3 sits ready and waiting (for BMW) and that's where it'll stay until the hollow promises turn into hard copy!!

But I do hope to once again be reunited with my X3 - I was at least prepared to give it a try.....
Old 02-19-2009, 12:29 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Well, being that it is a well documented issue, I don't know if they will give you a guarantee. With all you have been through, I hope they do! Keep at them!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 02-22-2009, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Well, being that it is a well documented issue, I don't know if they will give you a guarantee. With all you have been through, I hope they do! Keep at them!
You've clearly - "Been there - Done that and bought the 'T'-Shirt"!!!!

Since last Thursday my 3.0si has been ready - awaiting the promised - but (no surprises) so far - unforthcoming Indemnity.
My BMW Dealer - who by the way has done everything in their power to assist - now also can't get the CS responsible to respond.
(No way I'm ever going to collect it without that written assurance - it's a 6 hour round trip - so not exactly convenient to just go and discuss it!!)

I really want my X3 back - not just because I look forward to driving it and finally being able to say - Hooray! mine is fixed also -
(I do so hope it is?) - but because it's really needed. We live on the top of a large 'hill' with only very steep narrow ways in and out.
Dubrovnik has just suffered the worst snowfall in living memory - according to one of our 84 year old neighbors - so I guess that counts!!
Needless to say no-one went anywhere without a 4x4 for a while which might sound like a lot of fun until I also tell you....
we had no phones or electricity for nearly two days!! Great time to have your $90,000 BMW 'unavailable' - thanks for that!!

Monday is another day - start of yet another week - the 5th since I last had the pleasure of driving my X3.
Come on BMW - it's time we all found out if this one goes on the 'sorted' list or the court list!!

Last edited by exile31; 02-24-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:18 PM

Lightbulb Now there's a thought.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3lemon View Post
....I still don't understand why BMW can't fix this issue - it doesn't appear to be a mechanical problem rather an electronic problem. How difficult can it be to fix??
To: x3lemon - dtanner - zoltar - x3ml & all the rest of us 'happy' AT owners....

A friend asked me yesterday...'Why don't BMW just recall the 6 speed AT vehicles and get it over with?'

Good question. After all I wonder how many of the 51,000 views of this thread alone might have been
considering an X3 - and were unnecessarily but rightly frightened off?

The only answer I could come up with was: 'BMW haven't undertaken a 'voluntary recall' as yet
because they clearly haven't found a 100% solution to the problems'!!

But then it dawned on me: Take heart fellow sufferers - should BMW be forced to re-call the often
dangerous 6 speed AT vehicles - while there still is no 100% fix - then they will have little choice
but to buy back all our faulty vehicles. (Dreaming' is what keeps us sane!!)

Now if that should happen I wonder how many of the 'I'm Alright Jack' brigade would suddenly realize
their AT's might maybe perhaps just have a fault after all?!!!

Last edited by exile31; 02-24-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:19 PM

Thumbs up Let there be light....

I have my X3 3.0si AT back (after 5 weeks) - and it is awesome!!!

I have not got my X3 3.0si back - what I have got back is the X3 3.0si,
I suspect, BMW actually intended. For the first time since owing this vehicle
(just because I couldn't get the smile of my face) I drove the whole way home
- that's 3 hours of Town - Motorway - flat smooth - narrow twisty - steep hilly
- good/bad road surfaces in Automatic - yes automatic and it didn't miss a beat.
In AT it was brilliant and in 'Sport' mode it was 'bl***y' marvelous!!

( I know what many of you are thinking - it won't last - and maybe it won't - but I am prepared to give it shot!!)
The X3 AT I drove home yesterday bears no relationship (whatsoever) to the one I took in for repair. On that much I give you my word!!

My 'fix' may or may not 'hold' - but right now I'm driving a faultless X3 3.0si for the first time ever - I still remember what a rubbish vehicle I originally bought and just how dangerous and unpredictable it was (not going to forgive BMW for subjecting me & my family to that) - so if you're the current owner of one like mine 'used' to be then you really do need to try and get BMW to apply the same fix. (Good luck with that!!)

Better to waste some more of your time than waste a whole lot of your money disposing of the X3. What do you say???

In light of the work I (originally) reported as having been undertaken on my vehicle would one of the many "Techie's" following this Thread please contact me and list in simple terms whatever info regarding hardware/software - numbers or codes - that I need to supply to fill in the blanks - I will do my very best to get those details.

If BMW won't help (for fear of actually admitting there is a problem) and take it from one who knows - THERE DEFINITELY IS - then please help me see if we can a make a huge positive move forward.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: X3 2007 3.0si AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by exile31 View Post
I have my X3 3.0si AT back (after 5 weeks) - and it is awesome!!!

I have not got my X3 3.0si back - what I have got back is the X3 3.0si,
I suspect, BMW actually intended. For the first time since owing this vehicle
(just because I couldn't get the smile of my face) I drove the whole way home
- that's 3 hours of Town - Motorway - flat smooth - narrow twisty - steep hilly
- good/bad road surfaces in Automatic - yes automatic and it didn't miss a beat.
In AT it was brilliant and in 'Sport' mode it was 'bl***y' marvelous!!

( I know what many of you are thinking - it won't last - and maybe it won't - but I am prepared to give it shot!!)
The X3 AT I drove home yesterday bears no relationship (whatsoever) to the one I took in for repair. On that much I give you my word!!

My 'fix' may or may not 'hold' - but right now I'm driving a faultless X3 3.0si for the first time ever - I still remember what a rubbish vehicle I originally bought and just how dangerous and unpredictable it was (not going to forgive BMW for subjecting me & my family to that) - so if you're the current owner of one like mine 'used' to be then you really do need to try and get BMW to apply the same fix. (Good luck with that!!)

Better to waste some more of your time than waste a whole lot of your money disposing of the X3. What do you say???

In light of the work I (originally) reported as having been undertaken on my vehicle would one of the many "Techie's" following this Thread please contact me and list in simple terms whatever info regarding hardware/software - numbers or codes - that I need to supply to fill in the blanks - I will do my very best to get those details.

If BMW won't help (for fear of actually admitting there is a problem) and take it from one who knows - THERE DEFINITELY IS - then please help me see if we can a make a huge positive move forward.
Congrats exile31, wish the fix will hold for you! And all the hard work will indeed be rewarded. I know how your transformed X3 drives now, because I have driven one just like it before, that's my dealer's '08 service loaner. The only complaint on that one is the rough downshift on SD mode, 3-2-1. Wonder if your's does it too.

In my last fix in September 08, BMW told me they "found the problem" and replaced the "Mechatronic" unit. No it didn't help...

If this indeed is "the fix", hope your service invoice also contain all that vital information that is the light at the end of tunnel.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ml View Post
Congrats exile31, wish the fix will hold for you! And all the hard work will indeed be rewarded....
If this indeed is "the fix", hope your service invoice also contain all that vital information that is the light at the end of tunnel.
Cheers! So do I!!
Although I didn't get any paperwork I am awaiting EGS & DME software versions
installed plus SIB details and few other bits of info. Hope to have them soon & will post moment they arrive.
Hopefully I asked the right questions?

I can confirm - following visual (on-ramp) inspection - my X3 does have
the GM transmission produced in France.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ml View Post
The only complaint on that one is the rough downshift on SD mode, 3-2-1. Wonder if your's does it too.
Sorry - missed it!

No - it certainly feels more 'aggressive' in Sport mode -
but that's mentioned as a bonus not a complaint!!
Otherwise all changes now 'seamless' - Perfect!!
Old 02-26-2009, 09:07 AM

Does this info related to my 'fix' help???

New computer: 12 14 7 594 486 (DME)
EGS and DME Progman version: ( V32.1.0 )
Current X3 EGS software (programstand) 450R
Data Ref: 0489RZ0S450R0FM10
Old 02-26-2009, 12:43 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Glad it worked out for you Excile! I have almost 4k miles and a few months on my fix. No relearning of bad habits. The X3 performs flawlessly. The only "negative" is my fuel mileage went from 24 to 21 mpg. That is a small price to pay considering the smiles on my face.

My SD works great - just even more aggressive than D. D now feels like SD used to and SD now feels like "Yehaaa"!

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0i 2007
Just gave in my X3 for the path update. Let's see if it makes things better. I told the SA the SIB numbers to refer to just so they know what I am talking about. Will provide an update here.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:14 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

I hope it works, Loci! Let us know!

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 03-06-2009, 07:44 AM

I got my car back this morning, but I haven't had a chance to drive it much since my dealer is close to my work place. But from the 5 minute drive I can say it still jerks when I take my foot off the gas right after accelerating however I did not notice it jerking when I slow down just cruising.

I will provide better details after I drive home tonight.

The dealer did not post the version numbers of the EGS and DME updates on my invoice. They said they do the updates remotely from BMWNA and I would assume I will get the latest version of the software if that is the case right?

Last edited by loci; 03-06-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:52 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

You would hope they would use the most updated version.

Sorry your car jerks when you take your foot off the gas. I have no such issues.

Let us know your impressions after you have driven a bit.

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:01 AM

Thumbs up

Here's my update. The software patch done made quite an improvement than before. It very rarely jerks when slowing down.. I don't know it might just be somewhat rough engine breaking. Before it always did, now I wait for it, but nothing. So in conclusion, yes the patch did improve things, but the transmission is still not 100% fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loci View Post
I got my car back this morning, but I haven't had a chance to drive it much since my dealer is close to my work place. But from the 5 minute drive I can say it still jerks when I take my foot off the gas right after accelerating however I did not notice it jerking when I slow down just cruising.

I will provide better details after I drive home tonight.

The dealer did not post the version numbers of the EGS and DME updates on my invoice. They said they do the updates remotely from BMWNA and I would assume I will get the latest version of the software if that is the case right?
Old 03-13-2009, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: X3
I took my X3 back to the shop to have the hesitation and rough low gear changes looked into. Off course they couldn't duplicate the issue. It happens particularly when cold. They gave me a loner 2008 X3 that drove perfectly - now I know what MD has been going on about! One thing I noticed was that this loaner had a very soft accelerator pedal. Mine is quite hard so when I take my foot off it the car jerks a little when I put my foot back on it the same thing happens. Anyone else have this issue? Is there a way to make the pedal softer?
Old 03-14-2009, 03:20 AM

Hi x3lemon - once you have driven the AT as BMW intended you can really understand why
the 'lucky' ones who have never encountered the problems are so down on us who have.

I was always a - 'I really just fancy a drive out type' - up until the last two years -
now I again have that pleasure. After a couple of long ( & very enjoyable ) hard pushing
trips the AT hasn't missed a beat. The Sport mode isn't doing my wallet much good but Heh
- I've got a lot of fun time to make up!!

Regarding the hard (Sticking?) pedal - that sounds like a minor unrelated problem that should
be easily addressed. It's not normal and hopefully while it's in the shop that can be remedied?

Please take a look at my summation of the work BMW carried out for me - I really hope it makes sense[?]
- and try and get your SM to do the same. If I can help in any way please feel free to PM me.

If it works & holds ~ you won't stop smiling every time you hit the 'loud' pedal'!!!

I truly wish you all the very best.

Last edited by exile31; 03-14-2009 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
exile, glad to hear that you're now finally experiencing what you paid for.

Sport mode's fun but manual's even better! Find some nice, tight hairpins and be amazed as the suspension sets and the grin spreads out across your face when you realize you're mistaking your 2 ton, practical, daily driver for a sports car.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT417 View Post
exile, glad to hear that you're now finally experiencing what you paid for.

Sport mode's fun but manual's even better! Find some nice, tight hairpins and be amazed as the suspension sets and the grin spreads out across your face when you realize you're mistaking your 2 ton, practical, daily driver for a sports car.
Cheers!!!

I was just taking the opportunity after all my enforced negativity to 'big up' the AT!!
(Plus it's really great in SM - still can't believe it!!)
You forget I had 2 years of only manual and if you've been down this part of the world
then you'll know we're definitely singing from the same hymn sheet!!!!

Last edited by exile31; 03-14-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:18 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Exile31,

I am glad to hear it is working for you as it should have from the beginning!

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 03-14-2009, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 330Xi, Acura RDX, 968
Rebate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exile31 View Post
Cheers!!!

I was just taking the opportunity after all my enforced negativity to 'big up' the AT!!
(Plus it's really great in SM - still can't believe it!!)
You forget I had 2 years of only manual and if you've been down this part of the world
then you'll know we're definitely singing from the same hymn sheet!!!!
So after two years of having a vehicle at BMW pricing and yugo performance what type of rebate did they offer you? BMW that is. I am glad that you got the BMW you wanted, but that doesnt change the fact that BMW owes you two years imo. I have the new 330xi and recently BMW issued an update that screwed up the shifting that sounds very similar to the X3. You can bet at the monthly payments I have that I would demand a rebate if mine was mucked up. My point is don't be so quick to forgive them after having your lunch money taken for two years by the school yard bully. There seems to be select group on the board that I am betting put in the same circumstances would quickly change thier dogmatic view point.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:08 PM

Lightbulb Only in our dreams......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-man View Post
So after two years of having a vehicle at BMW pricing and yugo performance what type of rebate did they offer you? BMW that is. I am glad that you got the BMW you wanted, but that doesnt change the fact that BMW owes you two years imo. I have the new 330xi and recently BMW issued an update that screwed up the shifting that sounds very similar to the X3. You can bet at the monthly payments I have that I would demand a rebate if mine was mucked up. My point is don't be so quick to forgive them after having your lunch money taken for two years by the school yard bully. There seems to be select group on the board that I am betting put in the same circumstances would quickly change thier dogmatic view point.

As much as I really am now happy with my X3 (as you rightly say after two miserable years of waiting for the vehicle I actually paid for)
the same can not be said for BMW itself. Their casual attitude, non-response and seemingly general lack of concern towards
the often dangerous and long running (3 year) problem they have allowed to continue unresolved could never be acceptable.

If it were not for the persistence and good old fashioned 'Customer Care' adopted by all concerned at the Main BMW Dealer
here I know for certain I would not now even be driving a BMW! Added to that I actually do enjoy this vehicle for it's own sake
- so for now I'm trying to get my monies worth!!

Regarding a 'rebate' - no chance! I have the distinct impression BMW think I should consider myself lucky to be privileged
enough to own and drive one of their vehicles. Just a shame this one I factory ordered and paid for in full.
(Please don't let's even mention 'how much' I paid!) So my name's on the document - I'm the one to carry the loss!

I can live with that. But bottom line is when the X3 goes you guys won't be troubled by me any more. (Promise!!)
There's a NKOTB, not around when I ordered the X3 - also German - but from a company that, to date, hasn't made
the unforgivable mistake of treating me like a disposal resource.

They'll get another chance - BMW won't!!

Old 03-15-2009, 05:36 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-man View Post
So after two years of having a vehicle at BMW pricing and yugo performance what type of rebate did they offer you? BMW that is. I am glad that you got the BMW you wanted, but that doesnt change the fact that BMW owes you two years imo. I have the new 330xi and recently BMW issued an update that screwed up the shifting that sounds very similar to the X3. You can bet at the monthly payments I have that I would demand a rebate if mine was mucked up.
So if your shifting is screwed up now, are you telling your dealer you want a rebate?

Is it fixed yet?

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 03-15-2009, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 330Xi, Acura RDX, 968
Quote:
So if your shifting is screwed up now, are you telling your dealer you want a rebate?

Is it fixed yet?
Nope, I had read about their "update" and told them that if they did install it, and it had the undesired effect that many had written about, that they would be giving me a rebate until it was resolved. And, unless the dealer went and installed it without my consent I have nothing to worry about and neither do they. My point is not to roll over when the big bad scary company tries to bully you, and then thank them when they stop pushing your face in the mud. I do my research on the car and the car company prior to purchasing any vehicle.