Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3lemon View Post
I submitted a complaint with this link to the NHTSA website. I would suggest everyone with this problem submit a complaint.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm
If you look up 2008 > BMW > M3 > Power Train: Automatic Transmission

There are 22 complaints for the DCT (dual clutch transmission) and another 5 complaints under Power Train. I think this is probably where the dealer heard about rolling stops causing a delay from 2>1 and the lag in acceleration. From what I can tell, their hesitations are more consistent and longer in duration.

The second complaint below sounds like the hard downshifting that I experience all the time although I don't think the car is apt to stall.

Example:

"WHILE DECELERATING IN 2ND OR 1ST GEAR UNDER LIGHT BRAKING THEN ATTEMPTING TO ACCELERATE THE VEHICLE EXPERIENCES A LOSS OF POWER FOR TWO TO THREE SECONDS. MY FIRST EXPERIENCE WITH THIS HAPPENED MAKING A LEFT TURN ACROSS OPPOSING TRAFFIC LANE. HAD ONCOMING TRAFFIC BEEN CLOSER WHEN THE VEHICLE DID NOT ACCELERATE I WOULD HAVE BEEN HIT MID SIDE OF THE VEHICLE. BMW REPORTS THAT THIS IS NORMAL BEHAVIOR OF THIS TRANSMISSION HOWEVER I FEEL IT IS A MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE. "

"MY 2008 BMW M3 E92 RAPIDLY SLOWS WHEN THE DCT TRANSMISSION IS DOWNSHIFTING. THE CAR LAGS AND HAS ALMOST STALLED SEVERAL TIMES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD INCREASING THE POSSIBILITY OF A CRASH. BMW NORTH AMERICA CUSTOMER SERVICE HAS REFUSED TO ACCEPT THAT THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE DCT TRANSMISSION SOFTWARE FOR ALL OF THESE VIN PRODUCTION CARS. ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED."
Old 02-05-2010, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
6. It does curious things in MT mode. This is an interesting issue that I just found out is also an issue in other models. I haven't tried to recreate their problems yet as I will need to understand it more completely and try it out in an empty parking lot. It does explain why the MT mode in the AT doesn't fix the problems above.
First of all, don't say "the", say "my". Not everyone experiences all the characteristics that you mention above and in the other 5 points.

Second, what "curious things in MT mode"? Do you mean like shifting similarly to a manual without the clutch? Isn't that what it's supposed to do? MT mode is the most benign of all modes IMHO. The vehicle has intelligent logic that prevents stupid things from occurring that damage the power train like downshifting to a gear that would cause the engine to over-rev or up-shifting into 6th gear at 1500rpm and 10mph. Also, just like a manual, if you have the wrong vehicle speed/rev combination when you pull/push, you will notice firm shifts.

If yours is experiencing something more "curious" than this, then by all means make sure you can reproduce it at will and return it to the shop. Maybe then you'll find some justice and we'll all find some peace.

Last edited by HT417; 02-05-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Correct grammar
Old 02-05-2010, 01:00 PM

From the X3 User Manual

"Hills

To prevent overheating and reduced efficiency of the brake system, drive long or steep downhill grades in the gear in which the least braking is required. Otherwise, even light but continuous pressure on the brake can lead to high temperatures, brake wear and possibly even brake failure.

The braking action of the engine can be further intensified by downshifting, all the way down to first gear if need be."

---
So then driving in SD mode downhill is the right thing to do. OK, this is a 'feature' and not a problem. So did the Hills Program spill over into the hard downshifting when coasting to a stop? Is it all to save the brakes? <= rhetorical question unless someone is actually a BMW engineer and knows the real answer.

Last edited by PPXYZ; 02-06-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
I don't know why some people insist on trying to shut down the full discussion of this issue or narrow it to just the problems they have but it doesn't do the X3 or future buyers or current owners a lick of good as these issues are not going away.
Because you keep talking about engine braking, and a multitude of other things and don't seem to have taken any steps to remedy your "shifting problems". Engine braking has nothing to do with the transmission problems and talking about a feature that is designed into it as well.

It seems very convenient that you went from complaining about a bumpy ride and foggy windows to gravitating to a real problem. And then do nothing but complain instead of trying to get it fixed or replaced.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 02-05-2010, 04:55 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Because you keep talking about engine braking, and a multitude of other things and don't seem to have taken any steps to remedy your "shifting problems". Engine braking has nothing to do with the transmission problems and talking about a feature that is designed into it as well.

It seems very convenient that you went from complaining about a bumpy ride and foggy windows to gravitating to a real problem. And then do nothing but complain instead of trying to get it fixed or replaced.
I just get the feeling PPXYZ doesn't know much about the X3 at all.

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!

Last edited by madurodave; 02-06-2010 at 05:25 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
don't remember if this was ever posted or not:

SI B 24 08 07
Automatic Transmission

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B24 08 07 dated May 2007.
designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
GM6 - Various Transmission and Driveability Complaints

MODEL
E83 (X3) with 6L45R (GM6) automatic transmission produced from 8/2006 up to 10/2007

SITUATION
The customer may complain of transmission shift quality or driveability issues, as described in the
situations below:
1. There is a delay in throttle response through the 1-2 upshift when accelerating from a stop.
2. There is a lack of power or hesitation when reapplying throttle, during either a 4-3 or 3-2 tip-in
downshift. This may occur after slowing with a closed throttle.
3. Harsh downshifts when slowing on a roadway with a rising gradient (EGS is in a hill program).

CAUSES
EGS software calibration
DME software calibration

CORRECTION
In the event of a customer complaint, reprogram the EGS using only Progman V27.02.00 or higher.

The latest X3 EGS software may be identified as: 0489RZ0RS450 R0FN10 using the following
diagnosis path:
Control-module functions / EGS transmission control Diagnosis requests / Status, data reference
It is important that the DME is also at the latest software level. Refer to SI B12 17 07 for more
information concerning the DME software identification and improvements.
DO NOT perform the transmission adaptation under Service Functions, as prompted on the Progman
screen. This test module is not functional and will be removed in a future DIS DVD release.
Always refer to SI B 24 11 07 for more information regarding GM6 transmission terminology,
adaptation functionality, and adaptation procedures.

Important notes:
The transmission must be in the "Park" position, otherwise the programming may abort with the
following error:
EGS –Diagnostic trouble 2089 (COAPI) - Programming mode changeover faulty
***56256;***56442; Only use an approved BMW battery charger set to PS (Power Supply) mode and properly
configured for the applicable battery AH rating.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Please refer to the latest KSD for all applicable labor operations and allowances.
If the appropriate labor operation is not contained in KSD, then a work time labor operation should be
used.
Defect Code 24 00 38 61 00
[ Copyright © 2007 BMW of North America, LLC ]

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 02-12-2010, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2.0 D automatic
Angry BMW quality cars?

I own an X3 since Jan 2008. The problem of the automatic transmission becoming sticky and hard after first braking in cold environment is just the last and showed up at 36.000 KM.
BMW have changed transmission oil and related software; the problem did'nt disappear completely in cold temperatures. There is no other solution according to BMW that is also asking for the cost of the oil 200 €!, and they have kept my car for two weeks to cahnge oil and software!
At 8000 KM they had to change the turbo and, at 80 KMs!, i.e. 16 hours after new car delivered, they had to change the electronics of the air bags.
Considering the car price I would by a Volkswagen Tiguan instead!
Old 02-12-2010, 06:14 AM
Now with added spite.

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
After taking my 2007 X3 to the dealer and getting it programmed with the latest software and having some solenoids replaced, so far the ride is vastly improved. No more hesitation on hills or bends and it seems to shift appropriately most of the time. The only issue left is it staying in a lower gear longer than necessary sometimes when on an incline. Better than the opposite problem, which is what I was having.

Overall, I'm happy with my X3 now. I hope the adaptive transmission doesn't override what's "working" right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xianhatesyou View Post
When I drive down hill it drops a gear, but I find it to be appropriate for me. If I hit the gas, it keeps the gear.

By unresponsive, I mean that sometimes when I gas into a turn or up a hill, the throttle lags regardless of how much I've pushed it. Also, a rolling stop is nearly impossible. SD and MD seem to be fine, but I haven't really pushed it too much. The manual mode is reversed from my previous vehicles (VW, Audi) so getting used to it will take some time. Plus the automatic downshift when I move into the SD/M mode is slightly annoying.

The good(?) news is that my dash light went out and the vast majority of the lag suppressed itself. I'm still going to keep my dealership appointment and try to get their eyes on it, however. Living 1 hr from the dealer will make this painful if it's recurring like some of the others reported.

I wish I'd dug into this thread before purchasing...luckily I have 50k miles left on my warranty.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche 911
No 07 + for Me

Several weeks ago I joined this forum to research information on the BMW x3. I do like Japanese made suv's as they are sluggish to respond in turns, and I am used to tight steering controls. Mercedes dealerships and I never get along so they were marked out. And American made vehicles fall apart after two years. This essentially leaves BMW and Audi. Although my bank account is liberal enough to buy a new Q5 I thought why not get a CPO X3. This vehicle is just for inclement weather and trips to the Poconos with my grand kids. This weekend I finally got to test drive some X3's. An 08, an 07, and an 06. Nice mix I think. The 07 jerked and bucked like an untamed horse at the Devon Horse show right off the bat. I had not driven more than three miles before I turned around and went back to the dealership. The salesperson pulled nervously at his collar, apologized profusely, and steered me to an 08. This one had all the bells and whistles, full winter package and more. Seemed very comfy nice start and seemed ok at first. We got to an intersection that had narrowed down to one lane because of snow plowing and when I stepped on the gas to quickly accelerate into the lane to avoid oncoming traffic.....nothing. The oncoming driver was smart enough to brake quickly, tap the gas and avoid hitting me. Ok, by now all the stories I had read in this link were quickly coming to mind. Back to the dealership. Now the salesperson and manager were red faced and nervously offering me coffee, water, whatever. For grins and giggles I asked if they had a nicely equipped 06. They didn't but looked one up and found a nearby dealer had one. This was very admirable, but didn't change the fact that I almost had a head on collision due to the well established shoddy transmission. I decided lunch and a break were in order. Later that day I went and drove the 06. Although it did not have the bhp the newer models did, it seemed to have more torque and certainly didn't put me in a life or death situation. As a result, I will not be getting a BMW 07 or higher, but am currently entertaining the idea of getting an 06 CPO. Moral of the story: It seems to me that when more than 10 or 20 people cry foul to do your homework. And as an additional note the drive, suspension and handling were taught, responsive and somewhat rough. Exactly what I would expect from asking an SUV to handle like a sports car. However, I have not driven the Q5 yet and as such not ruled it out.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: X3
You probably got one that has not been updated. After 50k mine has settled in except for oddities around corners and uphills. BMW should learn from Toyota - own up to your problems. My lease is up this year and I'll roll the dice and move onto some other make. I think I'll try something less sophisticated perhaps.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Now with added spite.

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFBurns View Post
Several weeks ago I joined this forum to research information on the BMW x3. I do like Japanese made suv's as they are sluggish to respond in turns, and I am used to tight steering controls. Mercedes dealerships and I never get along so they were marked out. And American made vehicles fall apart after two years. This essentially leaves BMW and Audi. Although my bank account is liberal enough to buy a new Q5 I thought why not get a CPO X3. This vehicle is just for inclement weather and trips to the Poconos with my grand kids. This weekend I finally got to test drive some X3's. An 08, an 07, and an 06. Nice mix I think. The 07 jerked and bucked like an untamed horse at the Devon Horse show right off the bat. I had not driven more than three miles before I turned around and went back to the dealership. The salesperson pulled nervously at his collar, apologized profusely, and steered me to an 08. This one had all the bells and whistles, full winter package and more. Seemed very comfy nice start and seemed ok at first. We got to an intersection that had narrowed down to one lane because of snow plowing and when I stepped on the gas to quickly accelerate into the lane to avoid oncoming traffic.....nothing. The oncoming driver was smart enough to brake quickly, tap the gas and avoid hitting me. Ok, by now all the stories I had read in this link were quickly coming to mind. Back to the dealership. Now the salesperson and manager were red faced and nervously offering me coffee, water, whatever. For grins and giggles I asked if they had a nicely equipped 06. They didn't but looked one up and found a nearby dealer had one. This was very admirable, but didn't change the fact that I almost had a head on collision due to the well established shoddy transmission. I decided lunch and a break were in order. Later that day I went and drove the 06. Although it did not have the bhp the newer models did, it seemed to have more torque and certainly didn't put me in a life or death situation. As a result, I will not be getting a BMW 07 or higher, but am currently entertaining the idea of getting an 06 CPO. Moral of the story: It seems to me that when more than 10 or 20 people cry foul to do your homework. And as an additional note the drive, suspension and handling were taught, responsive and somewhat rough. Exactly what I would expect from asking an SUV to handle like a sports car. However, I have not driven the Q5 yet and as such not ruled it out.
Two things:
1. As I said previously, my patched 07 is great. It's a shame you drove a few that weren't good.
2. I drove the Q5 and I loved it. Loooove. However, I just didn't want to spend the extra $20k to get one. If you're willing to do so, I wouldn't hesitate to get an Audi. I've owned 3 VWs and 2 Audis over the years and they all treated me very well.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche 911
Quote:
Two things:
1. As I said previously, my patched 07 is great. It's a shame you drove a few that weren't good.
2. I drove the Q5 and I loved it. Loooove. However, I just didn't want to spend the extra $20k to get one. If you're willing to do so, I wouldn't hesitate to get an Audi. I've owned 3 VWs and 2 Audis over the years and they all treated me very well.
Well, I specifically checked the history of the first two vehicles as I didn't want to run the risk of getting into a vehicle that would hesitate on me at the wrong time. They supposedly had the latest and greatest updates. I too am reluctant to spend the money the Q5 commands on a vehicle I will drive 10% of the year. However, my grandkids are not worth guessing if the vehicle will perform or won't. As the 06 has no such reported problems only sunroof and some other frailty's I will look for one that has the full winter package, sport, and other extras. Pity, I own a half dozen different vehicles and was entertaining picking up an M class as well for the fall.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
RF, good choice, the '06 is probably the best year if you want to avoid the dreaded BMW Software problems with the GM6 A/T. I doubt you will be able to tell much difference in performance between the sport and non sport though. Both handle superbly. As far as domestic iron falling apart after two years, that has not been my experience. My Tahoe is 10 years old with nearly 180K miles on it and still running like a champ. The leather faced interior is pristine, and it still doesn't use a qt of oil between changes. I suppose back in the day with the "K" Car fiasco they were junk but times change. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:51 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
2. I drove the Q5 and I loved it. Loooove.
I looked at a Q5 pretty closely this weekend. Definetly VERY sharp looking. I will have to test drive one soon and see how it compares.

So far, with 35k miles since my software upgrade, no real issues with my X3 as far as the transmission. I do still wish it was as smooth as my 530xi's! Then it would be a great vehicle.

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 02-15-2010, 07:19 PM

Given the state of the economy, BMW's mistakes with this tranny and the their 3'ers (bread and butter car) hpfp problems the 2011 X3 better hit it out of the park.

Audi is going after BMW with a vengeance (have you seen the commercials during the Olympics) and is doing a great job of it. My wife already mentioned I should look at the Q5 for grins and giggles.

If they don't come up with a real winner soon; they are going to lose complete control of market share on the $30-$50k range of vehicles at this rate.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 02-15-2010, 11:35 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Given the state of the economy, BMW's mistakes with this tranny and the their 3'ers (bread and butter car) hpfp problems the 2011 X3 better hit it out of the park.

Audi is going after BMW with a vengeance (have you seen the commercials during the Olympics) and is doing a great job of it. My wife already mentioned I should look at the Q5 for grins and giggles.

If they don't come up with a real winner soon; they are going to lose complete control of market share on the $30-$50k range of vehicles at this rate.
Totally agree. Enough with the bad press BMW. Get back to wowing everyone with great rides and performance!

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 02-19-2010, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Modern Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by LvdB View Post
I mentioned earlier that I had my "post-'07-AT" memory reset. More than a 1000km later and gear shifts are as smooth as can be. But the hesitation issue remains...

After a meeting today with our local BMW dealer principal and an area rep from BMW South Africa, the following suggestion was made:
1. Drain and replace the AT oil
2. A 15km drive with the new oil
3. Drain and replace the AT oil for a second time
4. Update the AT software with whatever is the latest version
5. Hand the X3 back to me and monitor the AT behaviour

This will be done next week as they do not replace AT oils in general and need to order the correct oil. I will post results here in a week or so, after I've had this done.

Now I know from personal experience that replacing gearbox oil on manual gearboxes, especially older vehicles with higher mileage, can do wonders to the gearbox and solve plenty issues. But my question is: have anyone tried this before on a post '07 AT X3??? ...hoping we're not off on a wild goose chase ...lol
I have not seen any comments or questions since I posted this in December, but here's some feedback/results for those who might discuss this as a suggested solution with your dealer/workshop.

Good news: the AT is now flushed and has new oil.
Bad news: The oil change did not help - same issues remain.
Conclusion: We'll have to keep searching for that "golden" solution.

F30 328i Modern Line
E83 X3 2.0d

Retired: '07 X3 3.0d M-Sport - '04 X3 2.5i Sportpack - '99 328i E46 - '93 325i E36
Old 02-19-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvdB View Post
I have not seen any comments or questions since I posted this in December, but here's some feedback/results for those who might discuss this as a suggested solution with your dealer/workshop.

Good news: the AT is now flushed and has new oil.
Bad news: The oil change did not help - same issues remain.
Conclusion: We'll have to keep searching for that "golden" solution.
Solving things requires admitting there is a problem and realizing what is causing the problem.

Again I reiterate that by using simple logic the problem is not software related alone. If it was this sticky would cease to exist as they could apply the software programming from a "Good" ECU every time some one complained of an AT problem.

My contention is it is due to the exact measurement of tolerances that are inherent in German engineering. This is why sometimes the software will help mask or exacerbate the issue, but those that have major mechanical issues it will never fix.

However, until BMW admits there is a problem and addresses it directly the only true resolution (IMO) will be to eliminate the GM6 transmission.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 02-21-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
interesting news from the RAV4 camp...

As if it didn’t have enough on its plate, Toyota is now coming under scrutiny for denying an extended warranty to owners of 2001-03 RAV4s experiencing transmission failures, according to Wheels. Toyota began an inquiry into the issue last August after more than 300 complaints were filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
The complaints involved the vehicle jerking, failing to accelerate or suddenly slowing down. Many of the complaints included descriptions of the transmission failure as “dangerous” and “scary.”

It’s important to note that drivers can severely damage their transmissions just by driving poorly and that the transmission is covered under Toyota’s powertrain warranty of six years or 60,000 miles.

California might create a problem, though, if the California Air Resources Board determines that it is unreasonable for the transmissions to fail and create increasing emissions. If California persuades Toyota to offer an extended warranty, owners in other states may feel slighted.

In 2006, Toyota sent dealers a technical service bulletin warning of the transmission problem, but the automaker has never notified owners.

In other Toyota recall news, the Detroit Free Press reports that Michigan Democratic congressman Bart Stupak will hold the chairman’s seat Feb. 23, when the House Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations examines Toyota’s sudden acceleration recall.

This angered members of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee because Stupak moved his hearing ahead of theirs by two days, making it the first government hearing on Toyota’s much-publicized recall. Because Stupak is a Michigan Democrat, his move will surely spark outcry from lawmakers who see Stupak’s ties to Detroit automakers as compromising.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry has now joined other governors with Toyota plants in their states to defend the company against recent scrutiny, according to the Detroit News. He wrote a letter to Congress calling Toyota “a valued employer and corporate citizen and an integral part of the Texas economy.”

Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels is heading to Washington for the hearings as well in a show of support for the automaker.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 02-22-2010, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
This Toyota debacle is starting to read like a sub plot from a Tom Clancy Novel (Debt of Honor). I wonder who made the RAV4 box that is failing? Can't blame this one on GM.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:22 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
This Toyota debacle is starting to read like a sub plot from a Tom Clancy Novel (Debt of Honor). I wonder who made the RAV4 box that is failing? Can't blame this one on GM.
Is there any manufacturer out there who makes reliable cars? I am starting to wonder!

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 02-22-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
Is there any manufacturer out there who makes reliable cars? I am starting to wonder!
This is one time I am glad I am eating crow.

I was going to get a RAV4 to replace the AT X3.

Would have been out of the pan, into the fire.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 02-23-2010, 06:09 PM

Will the Toyota idiocy make other car manufacturers stand up and take notice of customer complaints. They still haven't figured out exactly where the problem lies and for some reason appear to shy away from looking at the electronics.

Is a mechanical problem better to have than an electronic one and have cars finally become too complex to build reliably.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to BigShark
Mein Auto: X3si Sport
I had my 2007 x3si Sport in the shop to look at this exact issue. They told me they found nothing wrong in their check through. I persisted giving them the Service Bulletin number SB 24 08 07. The SA was still resistant saying I am going to have to drive with the service technician to see for him self this issue.

- How can I best explain to him the issue. It is hard for me to describe what I am feeling as I am new to BMW
-What is the best way to have these guys take me seriously with out outright threatening them and having them shut down in discussion?

Any help by people who have had this Software updated successfully would be very helpful.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:06 PM

Got to Lose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShark View Post
I had my 2007 x3si Sport in the shop to look at this exact issue. They told me they found nothing wrong in their check through. I persisted giving them the Service Bulletin number SB 24 08 07. The SA was still resistant saying I am going to have to drive with the service technician to see for him self this issue.

- How can I best explain to him the issue. It is hard for me to describe what I am feeling as I am new to BMW
-What is the best way to have these guys take me seriously with out outright threatening them and having them shut down in discussion?

Any help by people who have had this Software updated successfully would be very helpful.
Simply explain it is a well known problem, posted on the most popular websites such as Bimmerfest (believe me they know, they just wont admit it).

The symptoms are posted many times over in this sticky, but in short:
  • It hesitates between 2-3 and 3-2 shifts, especially during rolling stops.
  • SD mode downshifts hard enough to make you think you have been rear ended
  • It can be replicated by slowing down entering a turn circle and the accelerating as if to enter

I had this done three times on my 07 X3 with no success while others have had mirculous results. Ask him what has he got to lose?
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7