Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to BigShark
Mein Auto: X3si Sport
Thanks Community!

I went in today after talking with the SA and getting resistance to this. He had me drive the care with the service manager. The SM drove and noticed "Flaring" in shifting between 2-3 gears. He said he would take this in to repair. It was only after the Service Manager drove this that the SA would acknowledge there an issue and will address it. It sounds like he has seen this before and there was little confidence in the fix, but he said he would do this fix. They seemed nonchalant about it and seemed not confident the fix would work, but I will keep on this until this is addressed. I even went in with the Service Bulletin number and had to "post up" to the SA to get him to get me to the SM. Resistance, but I will not be deterred. I will keep the group updated as to my progress.

-They did fix the rattle in the Sun roof (a known SB was made and followed for this)
-New wipers
-new drivers side window control bezel
-New steering wheel bezel also (after resistance as the non BMW dealer I got this from scratched off all the soft plastic)

2007 x3si Premium package / Sport Package / Cold Weather package / NAV. 30K miles.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShark View Post
Thanks Community!

I went in today after talking with the SA and getting resistance to this. He had me drive the care with the service manager. The SM drove and noticed "Flaring" in shifting between 2-3 gears. He said he would take this in to repair. It was only after the Service Manager drove this that the SA would acknowledge there an issue and will address it. It sounds like he has seen this before and there was little confidence in the fix, but he said he would do this fix. They seemed nonchalant about it and seemed not confident the fix would work, but I will keep on this until this is addressed. I even went in with the Service Bulletin number and had to "post up" to the SA to get him to get me to the SM. Resistance, but I will not be deterred. I will keep the group updated as to my progress.

-They did fix the rattle in the Sun roof (a known SB was made and followed for this)
-New wipers
-New steering wheel bezel also (after resistance as the non BMW dealer I got this from scratched off all the soft plastic)

2007 x3si Premium package / Sport Package / Cold Weather package / NAV. 30K miles.
This is what gets them in more trouble. If they would simply stop fighting everyone that walks in with a problem and practice good old CS they would find people are willing to work with them.

When this first happened to me they blamed me, my driving styles, the gas I used, the stereo I installed, you name it.

Now even though I have a good working 08 MT I still warn off people to the 07 AT because they handled the situation so poorly I had to call an attorney.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 03-12-2010, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540 iA, 2007 X3
Last night, on the way home from the airport, my 07 X3 completely lost power. The engine sounded like it was revving, but when I stepped on the accelerator, nothing happened. I had to pull off the freeway but only got as far as halfway up the closest off-ramp. It wouldn't go any further than that. I had AAA tow it to the dealership. This morning, they called at 7:30 (!) to say they had started the car and that the cooling fan was running when it shouldn't be, and that they would run the diagnostics and let me know what they found. He also said, "Don't worry, it's covered under your warranty." I wondered how he would know it was covered if he hadn't yet diagnosed it. ... unless it was a problem he immediately recognized and was familiar with.

So now I'm waiting for a call back to see what they've found. It's now late afternoon here. Does this incident sound familiar to anyone?

Last edited by redbeemerbabe; 03-12-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 03-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
He knew because he ran the VIN and it showed you still had warranty left, so anything that was wrong (that was not intentional damage) would almost certainly be covered. Which dealer did you take it to?
Old 03-13-2010, 10:57 AM

Thanks, I hadn't thought about that. It's at Allison. They called late yesterday and said no one had gotten to it yes, so I asked if they would at least run the diagnostics and tell me what the problem was. He called later in the evening and said it was the water pump. OK, that explains why the cooling fan kept running, but what about the fact that the car wouldn't go anywhere? Is there a built-in protection system that keeps you from driving the vehicle if there's a major problem? That's the only thing I can figure. Obviously, I'm not a mechanic.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:10 PM

Allison of course is gone and the store is now part of AutoNation's stable, known to all as Mountain View BMW. I liked them better before, but I am sure the service department is just fine!
Old 03-13-2010, 12:19 PM

Yeah, I know, but we locals will prolly call it Allison forever. I've lived within walking distance for 25 years, although that spot hasn't always been a dealership.

So do you have any ideas about why the car wouldn't move?
Old 03-13-2010, 02:48 PM

I remember a Standard Brand paint store there on the corner back in the day. I live just off Grant near Foothill so it has been a very familiar spot to me for 40+ years. I use Stevens Creek BMW now. Sorry don't have a clue why the car stopped but I suspect it might be a "limp home" thing.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:41 PM

I realize now that my posts about this are in the wrong place. When I originally posted, I thought the problem was my transmission. Mods, please feel free to delete.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0i 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShark View Post
Thanks Community!

-New wipers
Do you know the sunroof rattle SIB? I have the same issue and want to take in the sib number. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
Quote:
Originally Posted by loci View Post
Do you know the sunroof rattle SIB? I have the same issue and want to take in the sib number. Thanks!
LOCI: please keep your posts in this forum to only questions or comments on the Transmission.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 03-22-2010, 02:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to BigShark
Mein Auto: X3si Sport
I do not. It had something to do with a piece of felt that needed to be replaced. I can look on the receipt and see if it is there and I'll send to you.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X3
After *2* days of ownership, I think I have the AT issue described in this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=17
Old 03-22-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagosto View Post
After *2* days of ownership, I think I have the AT issue described in this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=17
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. No matter how many times we warn people and describe what to do and what to look for, they act dumbfounded when it happens. Sigh

IIRC the one you bought was not driven over a 24 hour period, but bought same day?
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 03-22-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. No matter how many times we warn people and describe what to do and what to look for, they act dumbfounded when it happens. Sigh

IIRC the one you bought was not driven over a 24 hour period, but bought same day?
I drove it 2 times on 2 seperate days as well as the wife. We didn't notice anything.

Using your logic, I noticed this issue and bought the car anyhow.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I drove it 2 times on 2 seperate days as well as the wife. We didn't notice anything.

Using your logic, I noticed this issue and bought the car anyhow.
Quote:

The wife and I both drove it about 15-20 min each and I went over various driving conditions, gears, dead stops, hard/soft accelerations, etc.

I have written several times over a step by step process of what to look for, but have always warned everyone away from the AT.

Part of that says something to the effect of take it for the weekend. I don't see how driving it 15-20 minutes remotely qualifies for taking it out over an extended period of time.

Since, you chose not to look back at that, you got the abridged answer.

However, not going to get into a debate over this, since you are already smarting from finding out you have the dreaded AT issue and I would like to help you if I can.

Here are the options as I see it:

Find out if it has the latest TSB. If it doesn't try your luck and see if it will fix the problem.

Live with it. Some people seem happy enough to shell out several thousand dollars and have a car that kinda' works.

Return it asap, as imo this is not a fixable problem. If it was, this thread would have died out a long time ago and I wouldn't have gotten a manual.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 03-22-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Here are the options as I see it:

Find out if it has the latest TSB. If it doesn't try your luck and see if it will fix the problem.

Live with it. Some people seem happy enough to shell out several thousand dollars and have a car that kinda' works.

Return it asap, as imo this is not a fixable problem. If it was, this thread would have died out a long time ago and I wouldn't have gotten a manual.
Do we know what the success rate is for this problem?
What's TSB?

You mentioned the TSB might fix the problem yet it's not fixable?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Do we know what the success rate is for this problem?
What's TSB?

You mentioned the TSB might fix the problem yet it's not fixable?
TSB or SIB is a cute euphamism for almost a recall. Technical service bulletion.

Some people say it fixed their problem. After 13 tries it didn't work on mine.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 03-23-2010, 04:56 AM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
You would think this thread would keep people away from the affected AT model years...
My '07 530 xi is a dream.

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone
Old 03-23-2010, 03:37 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ronnie View Post
You would think this thread would keep people away from the affected AT model years...
My '07 530 xi is a dream.
Nah - why would we do that!

BTW - I second the 530xi comment! I love mine! So far its a long-term keeper!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3
Ok, I'm a dum dum. I should have done more UGC research. I recently purchased the 07 X3 via CPO, and had an issue this weekend where the call stalled when I slowed coming off an offramp to merge into traffic. Then, I was making a left turn later, and the engine did not kick. WTF. I love how the thing drives, and am taking it to dealership to have it checked.

1) Does anyone know what is the most update program that should be used for the transmission, so I can ensure they apply it?
2) How do I know they applied it? What should I ask for in terms of a print out?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Look at the first post of this thread. I do not think there is anything more recent although there is supposedly something new coming out any day now.

In the meantime, try accelerating in SD or manual mode if you need to make a fast getaway.
It is a work around and it isn't even clear it is working around anything but it is better than having another heart thumping moment.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 07 X3
My update:

Dealership has had vehicle for the day. Referred to the TSB. Said the Engine module update took, but the transmission module did not. They are waiting for feedback from BMW HQ, and more testing is required. They will provide me an additional update tomorrow.

I don't know if I should be happy that they found the problem, and are trying to address it, or saddened that it is flawed to the point that additional tests are required. Without going through each post of this thread, has anyone had this issue resolved based on reprogramming?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
Quote:
Originally Posted by navlancer View Post
My update:

Dealership has had vehicle for the day. Referred to the TSB. Said the Engine module update took, but the transmission module did not. They are waiting for feedback from BMW HQ, and more testing is required. They will provide me an additional update tomorrow.

I don't know if I should be happy that they found the problem, and are trying to address it, or saddened that it is flawed to the point that additional tests are required. Without going through each post of this thread, has anyone had this issue resolved based on reprogramming?
translation: they fried the transmission computer attempting the update and are now ordering a new unit from the motherland....

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 03-30-2010, 07:26 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by navlancer View Post
My update:

I had the same issue during my software upgrade. The dealer thought a new chip would have to be ordered, but they finally managed to get it to program correctly.

No significant issues since. It has been 35k miles since the update.

Maybe that is why my upgrade took so well. They had to bring it back from the brink of death!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!