Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-24-2010, 07:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Hardware, software, application, control unit, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? What is apparent is that no one knows what this problem is. It seems to mainly affect the post 07 X3, yet the X5 board shows they have similar problems with their ZF sourced transmissions in the 07 3.0 engines, but to a lesser extent. It is a problem but one that BMW so far does not want to recognize beyond issuing "reflashes" from time to time. I am just happy I have an 06 with the seamless 5 speed GM transmission. Why BMW ever changed just to get a tiny bit more MPG is a mystery to me I am afraid.

Last edited by UncleJ; 04-24-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
The BMW sedans shift smoothly so BMW actually knows how to make a transmission (or to source and program one) correctly.

Why this competence escapes them in the X's must be a trade secret.

Anyone driven the X6? That seems the most car-like of the bunch.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Hardware, software, application, control unit, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? What is apparent is that no one knows what this problem is. It seems to mainly affect some the post 07 X3, yet the X5 board shows they have similar problems with some of their ZF sourced transmissions in the 07 3.0 engines, but to a lesser extent. It is a problem but one that BMW so far does not want to recognize beyond issuing "reflashes" from time to time. I am just happy I have an 06 with the seamless 5 speed GM transmission. Why BMW ever changed just to get a tiny bit more MPG is a mystery to me I am afraid.

Corrected for accuracy.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 330Xi, Acura RDX, 968
Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoman707 View Post
Corrected for accuracy.
After driving 3 separate 07 AT x3's from different dealerships, ALL of them had faulty lagging transmissions. While some people have had the very dangerous 07 AT nearly all of the owner's that did got rid of them in some way. While some of them have chosen to stick it out until their leases run out, nearly ALL of those that did get a Trade Assist or Buy Out signed NDA that prevent them from further discussing the problem thereby taking it off the record books and out of the publics eye. So some of you may be buying some one's else problem. However, most of them have been fixed. Nothing like rolling the dice with you and some of your family's well being.

Corrected for accuracy
Old 04-30-2010, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Quote:
However, most of them have been fixed.
Fixed or virginal... my current 2007 CPO is shifting just fine. Either way - I'm happy.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi, 2007 X3
Just traded my wife's Envoy for a 2007 X3 CPO, the GMC just didn't look right next to my 330xi. We didn't notice the unresponsive acceleration/drivetrain lag in the test drive, but one week of normal driving and this vehicle clearly has the dreaded GM6 AT problem. Took it back to the dealer and they applied the latest computer upgrade and the problem seems to be resolved. One would think BMW would require the upgrade as part of the certification process, oh well. 90 miles later and it's still performing as expected, granted, the transmission is still in learn mode but hopefully that will take care of it.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:13 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordo629 View Post
Just traded my wife's Envoy for a 2007 X3 CPO, the GMC just didn't look right next to my 330xi. We didn't notice the unresponsive acceleration/drivetrain lag in the test drive, but one week of normal driving and this vehicle clearly has the dreaded GM6 AT problem. Took it back to the dealer and they applied the latest computer upgrade and the problem seems to be resolved. One would think BMW would require the upgrade as part of the certification process, oh well. 90 miles later and it's still performing as expected, granted, the transmission is still in learn mode but hopefully that will take care of it.
I had mine reprogrammed 40k miles ago. So far, so good. Not perfect, but works ok.

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
I don't know if it's related at all, but I noticed an improvement in drivability when I disconnected the electric connection for the butterfly valve in the exhaust. The acceleration was much smoother and not as jerky.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevNev View Post
I don't know if it's related at all, but I noticed an improvement in drivability when I disconnected the electric connection for the butterfly valve in the exhaust. The acceleration was much smoother and not as jerky.
How do I do this? Aside from possibly fixing the jerkiness what other functions does it affect?..thanks.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3lemon View Post
How do I do this? Aside from possibly fixing the jerkiness what other functions does it affect?..thanks.
Some people performed the golf tee mod. There are plenty of threads on that. I opted to disable it electronically, same result. There is a picture in this thread:

http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthr...t=golf+tee+mod

Just release the metal pin and then unplug the twisted wire connection. Very easy to put back together if necessary. The person in that thread opted to cap one of the vacuum connections instead of disconnecting the electric connection.

Try it out, but it may have helped me more since the butterfly valve was a problem with mine. It would rattle on start up so I knew it wasn't functioning properly.

It does change the tone of your exhaust.

Last edited by KevNev; 05-08-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:35 AM

Mein Auto: x5 and 330cic
pics

KEVNEV. any pic on the modification ?
Old 05-08-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlauz View Post
KEVNEV. any pic on the modification ?
From the post I referenced:

Old 05-08-2010, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the pictures and detailed instructions.

I noticed before starting the car the butterfly valve was closed. I then revved the car to 4000 revs but it did not open - is this normal?

Anyway I can't believe this yet but after disconnecting the cable the valve is now always fully open and the drive is so much smoother! There's certainly more power.

Jury is out whilst I drive for a few hundred more miles! I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: car
Has this transmission problem been fixed for the 2010 model year? I'm considering ordering a new X3, but don't need this headache.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCh View Post
Has this transmission problem been fixed for the 2010 model year? I'm considering ordering a new X3, but don't need this headache.
too hard to say. some still have reported some issues.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 05-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Meinkugelschmerzen

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4, 2007 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoman707 View Post
Fixed or virginal... my current 2007 CPO is shifting just fine. Either way - I'm happy.
ich auch
Old 05-09-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCh View Post
Who knows?

The best bet is to drive several of them and look for the well known problem areas. I haven't seen any difference in my car from the day I bought it to today so if it does not exhibit the problems right off the bat, I do not think it will develop them. Others think it can develop problems but I haven't seen that.

Accelerate slowly up a hill, coast to a stop, lead foot it after a rolling stop/start. It should already have the fix for the 'holds gears too long' hill climb and, if not, it is available.

IMO driving a 3 series sedan first and then driving an X3 over the same varied route immediately thereafter helps to find any problem areas.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X3
I drove my 08 X3 for about 2K miles now and finally have a feel for it.

To be honest, I am not sure how some people don't notice it assuming they have some different software version. I drive very lightly so I typically drive in *D* with a light foot. From a stop, the car accelerates in *2* gear and it takes some pressure to get the car to downshift or accelerate. It could be a function of MPG or another issue where the trans searches for a gear. No matter if I am going uphill/downhill, the car "searches" for a gear. I will have to nearly push the pedal to the floor and wait a 2nd or two before it downshifts and goes. That is NOT normal. I have never felt that in any car and I have driven a lot of various cars over the years. For me, it's not a problem because I drive light footed. However, I do notice it sometimes when I want to pass someone and nearly get rear ended from the person in the other line and especially at a round-about. However, like anything else, you get used to thinks and either not notice or accept it the way it is.

I don't notice any of this in SD or M. Do I care? Sure. But I enjoy the car too much to consider moving on.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:00 AM

From my experience, if you lead foot it for even a little bit from a few stops it will start off in first gear.

It is supposed to be continuously adapting to each driver so this makes sense. I do not know why some say that it takes a few hundred miles to adapt to a driving style. I cannot find any documentation that says it should be anything other than continuous adaptation.

My one area of concern is an unprotected left. IMO it's a good preventative to use SD in any case.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
From my experience, if you lead foot it for even a little bit from a few stops it will start off in first gear.

It is supposed to be continuously adapting to each driver so this makes sense. I do not know why some say that it takes a few hundred miles to adapt to a driving style. I cannot find any documentation that says it should be anything other than continuous adaptation.

My one area of concern is an unprotected left. IMO it's a good preventative to use SD in any case.
Sorry,

I keep hearing people make excuses for a $40k plus cars transmission and have to step back in.

I should not have to adapt my style of driving that works well in every other AT vehicle I have driven in 30 + years in order to avoid an accident. Having an accident or not having an accident is usually the result of split second decisions and timing. I shouldn't have to second guess my car.

At this time BMWNA has yet to step forward and say here is the final update necessary to solve this problem. Until that day arrives or they stop using the GM6 I will never buy nor recommend a BMW with one.

So learning to deal with that in any priced vehicle is nothing short of counter-productive, let alone life threatening.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 05-23-2010, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Its not just the GM6 but the ZF unit also has some problems. Read somewhere that there was a hardware problem in the ZF units that was beind addressed after a number of failures. I guess the Toyota debacle has them all scurrying around making things right. Now if they would get to the heated seats burning.....
Old 05-30-2010, 04:54 PM

IMO the more expensive the car, the less reliable it can be. I believe there are many $25K cars that will run like the dickens longer than a $50K car.

I do not know why that is...odd.

That said, I can no longer get my X3 to stop in 2nd. It always stops in 1 as far as I can tell.

I have it on the latest authority that my car has the latest software there is including the s/w that is supposed to fix the 'hanging on to lower gears when going up hills' problem. My car still does that once in awhile so the 'fix' is not really a complete fix.

There are no updates for the transmission, I doubt very seriously there will be any updates so I guess BMW thinks that it is not a serious problem. It will be interesting to see how the new model runs.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: 08 x3
Now if they would get to the heated seats burning.....[/QUOTE]

Just to offer another perspective on the seat issue, my wife started leasing an '08 Audi A3 and learned quickly after living with the vehicle for a few days that the heated seats were barely noticeable even when cranked up to the max. I certainly agreed. We went to Audi with this complaint and were told that all Audi heated seats were "dialed down" in response to customer complaints of burning episodes (I'm not sure if there was legal action).

You guys keep up with complaining on the seats that is where BMW will head.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the pictures and detailed instructions.

I noticed before starting the car the butterfly valve was closed. I then revved the car to 4000 revs but it did not open - is this normal?

Anyway I can't believe this yet but after disconnecting the cable the valve is now always fully open and the drive is so much smoother! There's certainly more power.

Jury is out whilst I drive for a few hundred more miles! I'll keep you guys posted.
2k miles later.....the drive is smoother. I believe the trans issue and a faulty butterfly valve combined resulted in a jerky gear change, this was the case in SD and manual mode. Now it's much smoother in all modes but the tranny issue is still there...
Old 06-01-2010, 05:21 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
2k miles later.....the drive is smoother. I believe the trans issue and a faulty butterfly valve combined resulted in a jerky gear change, this was the case in SD and manual mode. Now it's much smoother in all modes but the tranny issue is still there...
Wow - looks like you drive as much as I do!

My X3 seems to have reached a quiet period as of late. Trans is working ok (occasional stumble, but not too bad), no further brake warpage issues, no mirror motors not working, no compass blinding me at night with pulsing bright/dark compass directions.

I hope it stays this way!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!