Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1576  
Old 09-28-2011, 06:29 AM
madurodave's Avatar
madurodave madurodave is offline
BMW Enthusiast!
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,574
Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Only problem is that it is now appearing in the new F25. There are complaints that mimic the exact wording of things listed here.

Hesitation for a second or two, better after it has warmed up, only does it on quick rolling stops, etc...

Sound familiar?
Yeah, I know. I have been reading that forum as well. Disappointing to say the least.

But, I will buy used in 3 years or so, so hopefully the issues are better, just as I found on my X3.

Sorry for the issues you had, but that is one reason I try to wait - too many first year issues!

My Harley still leaks! Bought a 2007 with the 110ci engine - first year they had it. Stupid me! Still works, still looks great, but always has a wet stain at the base of the cylinders. "Fixed" 4 times now!
__________________
Madurodave

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Reply With Quote
  #1577  
Old 09-28-2011, 11:15 PM
PPXYZ PPXYZ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: West Coast
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 672
Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
Supposedly there is new software.

Seems like more happy customers than complaints now, so looks like progress was made on the software issues.
That is positive. I will check and see if the dealer fesses up to an upgrade!

Reply With Quote
  #1578  
Old 09-28-2011, 11:18 PM
PPXYZ PPXYZ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: West Coast
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 672
Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Evl was indeed a pioneer in the transmission war and for that he is deserving of kudos! I still, however, believe that the fault is not within the transmission but the propriatary BMW software that operates it. Hence why the "reflashing" -- if it were a hardware problem no amount of "reflashing" would help it.
'transmission war'

That is funny.
Reply With Quote
  #1579  
Old 09-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Evlengr's Avatar
Evlengr Evlengr is offline
Ukemi - that's how I roll
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,252
Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
'transmission war'

That is funny.
I like that. Very Sci Fi, being the engineer geek that I am. I just wish corporations would stop treating us like idiots.

They are all "baffled" when we cry BS, and seem to forget the internet exists.

My biggest beef was them saying that they knew nothing about it, and that I was the only one complaining, while I am standing there with a one inch thick binder filled with affidavits of other owners complaining of the same problem.

Biggest marketing coup from a negative situation was Tylenol being contaminated with poison. They pulled everything off the shelves on their own. I will buy their products without an after thought as a result. So will most folks.

Admit your wrong, fix it and move on. We will be more respectful and tolerant.
__________________
2013 S4 Loaded (and NO RFT's) Awesome is an understatement
2008 MT X3 RIP you were a faithful sidekick and will be missed.
2007 AT X3 RIPOS
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Reply With Quote
  #1580  
Old 09-30-2011, 11:24 PM
PPXYZ PPXYZ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: West Coast
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 672
Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Latest word

From the dealer, my 2009 with the factory s/w has the latest and greatest. No updates, no changes, no upgrades, etc. have come in. Oh well. All you can do is ask.

Here's hoping that hard shifting does not mean transmission problems (as in not working or in need of major repair) in the future as a new one is seriously expensive. They did note that the X3 is more reliable than average for them except for the pano roof which is also seriously expensive to fix.

For the price of a new transmission and a new pano roof (very bad luck if that happens ) it would be better to get an entirely new car from someone else. Cannot keep the new model in stock.

Reply With Quote
  #1581  
Old 10-26-2011, 11:58 AM
bobbyjoe bobbyjoe is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 65
Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
AdeiNi - From what you describe, I wonder if you have another issue entirely. I say this because I had the same issue of rattling especially at startups, pauses, shifting, bumps etc. Perhaps you can take a look to see if this applies to you too.

For me, the rattling noise actually comes from the exhaust. I don't fully understand it, but the X3 exhaust has two pipes, one (the inner pipe) has a flap that can be closed by a vacuum. According to BMW it helps reduce noise at low levels, lower emissions, gives more power at high throttle etc. Anyways, the valve is controlled by a vacuum pump connected by a rubber hose. For me, the rubber hose hardened and cracked and could no longer hold the valve steady in the closed position hence the rattle. I completely disconnected it and plugged the vacuum with a golf-tee (some people do this on purpose for more power and a throatier rumble at startup,) and my rattling has gone. I'm bringing my car in for servicing soon to get the tube replaced.

If you can get the car to rattle (I know it's inconsistent), you can go to the back of your car to see if it is really coming from there. With a flashlight and a screwdriver, you can touch the flap to stabilize it to see if the noise goes. Note - the exhaust will get hot (hence screwdriver) and of course don't inhale the exhaust fumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeiNi View Post
Yeah, I purchased my X3 used from PSPRT. At this point, they claim that they can't reproduce the noises I hear. I had no problems with the car until I got a transmission light that caused the car to be inoperable. They ended up re-flashing the transmission and that's when my problems started. I kept bring the car back and they eventually blamed and replaced the rear transfer case. Their quote was it "was totally messed up. " Before my warranty ran out they claimed since there are no codes and they can't duplicate the noise there was nothing that they can do. I just could keep taking time off to take it to shop. It felt like I saw the dealership monthly. Before my warranty ran out I want to trade it for something else but they claimed that since something is wrong they could give me market value for the car because they could sell it with issues. My warranty eventually ran out and they claimed that if any of the parts that they replaced goes bad they would replace them.
The noises that I hear are starting to become more frequent. Especially when driving in stop and go traffic, where you have to lightly accelerate, free role and then lightly accelerate. In this situation the noise I hear sort of sounds like the noise you would hear when you pick up a small refrigerator; it's kind of a little rumbling rattle.
The stutter sound comes when I'm at highway speed and get off the gas a little then back on. It also happens when going over uneven surfaces causes the stuttering sound like the system is confused and doesn't know where to send power. I just can't believe that car that cost this much would actually make such noises even "if there is nothing is wrong." BMW's are supposed to be refined, this just does seem like it should be a "characteristics of the BMW," especially since it never happened before the transmission fault.
Reply With Quote
  #1582  
Old 11-09-2011, 09:12 AM
swapsafari swapsafari is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Mexico
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 123
Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3 3.0si Black
Hello Guys,

I recently have bought a 07 BMW Xe 3.0si with approx 98K miles on it. Got it for a real good price so thought of pulling the trigger. The cars seems to be well maintained and runs good. No issues that I can see visually or no weird noises that I can hear from car so far. I am not that much of an pro for diagnosing issues with the car. Even though the car has high mileage, I would like to maintain it as much as I can so that I don't have to deal with surprise expenditures (which sure can't be totally avoided)

I had a 98 328i earlier and I use to avoid taking it to the garage unless there was an issue but I have learnt it the hard way that you do have to keep checking things even though everything looks fine. So with that said, I would like to keep things under control on this X3. I know the automatic transmission is a common problem and my car with that many mile might be approaching to that issue anytime soon but I don't know any way to check it. I would like to know if there is any signs I should look for while driving? like hard shifting or any noises? I have taken an extended warranty on the transmission, etc so if there is anything I would get is fixed without any second thought but I want to know when it goes bad without being too late.

Please advice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #1583  
Old 11-18-2011, 08:19 AM
X Three M X Three M is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 17
Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by swapsafari View Post
Hello Guys,

I recently have bought a 07 BMW Xe 3.0si with approx 98K miles on it. Got it for a real good price so thought of pulling the trigger. The cars seems to be well maintained and runs good. No issues that I can see visually or no weird noises that I can hear from car so far. I am not that much of an pro for diagnosing issues with the car. Even though the car has high mileage, I would like to maintain it as much as I can so that I don't have to deal with surprise expenditures (which sure can't be totally avoided)

I had a 98 328i earlier and I use to avoid taking it to the garage unless there was an issue but I have learnt it the hard way that you do have to keep checking things even though everything looks fine. So with that said, I would like to keep things under control on this X3. I know the automatic transmission is a common problem and my car with that many mile might be approaching to that issue anytime soon but I don't know any way to check it. I would like to know if there is any signs I should look for while driving? like hard shifting or any noises? I have taken an extended warranty on the transmission, etc so if there is anything I would get is fixed without any second thought but I want to know when it goes bad without being too late.

Please advice. Thanks!
Congrats on your purchase. As far as the transmission issue is concerned just pay attention to any of these symptoms:

hesitant shifting (especially from 1st to 2nd if I'm remembering correctly)
"clank" (hard to describe) sound when shifting occurs

Actually... see http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...262130&page=62 post# 1545

Last edited by X Three M; 11-18-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1584  
Old 11-18-2011, 01:08 PM
swapsafari swapsafari is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Mexico
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 123
Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3 3.0si Black
Thanks XThreeM. The symptoms don't seem to exist from what I can see but will observe closely from now on. I probably think that the original owner might have resolved the issue earlier as the car was always serviced at a BMW dealership. I have bought it from a provate dealer (not BMW) and he couldn't tell me much about the service history except that the car was always serviced a BMW dealership. It just had one owner before me. I am thinking of calling the BMW dealership in the area where I bought the car from so that they can hopefully pull the records for the car. I have ever done that before so don't know if they'' be able to find the records for me without knowing the previous plate number or owner name

But I will give a try at it and find out as much as I can about reprogramming of ECU & DME. Until then, I am just going to be without any worries and enjoy my ride. I am lovin it everyday so far!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1585  
Old 11-18-2011, 02:29 PM
X Three M X Three M is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 17
Mein Auto: X3
You're welcome. If it is a one owner vehicle that was in the same city and always maintained by the dealership then the service records should be easy to track down. Good luck and enjoy. It is a fun vehicle to drive.
Reply With Quote
  #1586  
Old 11-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Evlengr's Avatar
Evlengr Evlengr is offline
Ukemi - that's how I roll
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,252
Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by swapsafari View Post
Thanks XThreeM. The symptoms don't seem to exist from what I can see but will observe closely from now on. I probably think that the original owner might have resolved the issue earlier as the car was always serviced at a BMW dealership. I have bought it from a provate dealer (not BMW) and he couldn't tell me much about the service history except that the car was always serviced a BMW dealership. It just had one owner before me. I am thinking of calling the BMW dealership in the area where I bought the car from so that they can hopefully pull the records for the car. I have ever done that before so don't know if they'' be able to find the records for me without knowing the previous plate number or owner name

But I will give a try at it and find out as much as I can about reprogramming of ECU & DME. Until then, I am just going to be without any worries and enjoy my ride. I am lovin it everyday so far!
Since you haven't read on how to identify the issue, even though it has been described in detail I will give you a quick run down on how to spot it.

Find a road with a nice quick right hand up hill turn. Slow to about 10-15 an hour right before the turn then accelerate like you are entering a turn about and trying to avoid being t-boned. If the X3 lurches like it can't decide if it should go from 2 to 3 or 2 to 1 then you have the problem. Also, it shows up a lot when it gets freezing cold in the morning and after about a 3-5 minute warm up you try the same thing.

I hope you don't have the problem, but if you do yo should know as it can be dangerous if you are caught unaware or unprepared.

GL
__________________
2013 S4 Loaded (and NO RFT's) Awesome is an understatement
2008 MT X3 RIP you were a faithful sidekick and will be missed.
2007 AT X3 RIPOS
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Reply With Quote
  #1587  
Old 11-22-2011, 08:01 AM
swapsafari swapsafari is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Mexico
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 123
Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3 3.0si Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Since you haven't read on how to identify the issue, even though it has been described in detail I will give you a quick run down on how to spot it.

Find a road with a nice quick right hand up hill turn. Slow to about 10-15 an hour right before the turn then accelerate like you are entering a turn about and trying to avoid being t-boned. If the X3 lurches like it can't decide if it should go from 2 to 3 or 2 to 1 then you have the problem. Also, it shows up a lot when it gets freezing cold in the morning and after about a 3-5 minute warm up you try the same thing.

I hope you don't have the problem, but if you do yo should know as it can be dangerous if you are caught unaware or unprepared.

GL
I have been reading about it on this thread as and when possible. Its total of 64 pages!
From what I have read, I do have an understanding of what to look for but your run down is right on! I did try that last night and fortunately didn't experience any problem but at times on normal driving I experience a lag while taking off at the light or something (very rarely but I have felt it I know)

I got a service history for my car from the BMW dealer and I can see that the DME was reporgrammed in 08. I didn't see any mention of anything done to ECU. I am not sure of why they did that but from what I have read on the forum it seems they (DME & ECU) should be done together?

So I am hoping that the problem won't show up. I am planning to wait unless I see any big signs of transmission issue. Do you know if once the DME is reprogrammed, are there are any chances of transmission problem coming back again? Please advice. Thanks!

--Nil

PS: Below is description of service done to the car on the transmission issue --
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
115621



Advisor
Mileage
RO Status
Total Tech Hours
Warranty Total
Cust Total
Int Total
Misc Total

38 (HARMON,TIM)
38310
CLOSED
3.14
750.47
0.00
0.00
0.00



Services
Parts



1
1214715 WB4 REPROGRAMMING DME (Tech 128, 46.95)

2
1299000 WB4 JOB TIME WITHOUT ALLOWANCE FOR ENGINE ELECTRICS (Tech 128, 0)

3
3411609 WXB REMOVING AND INSTALLING OR REPLACING BOTH FRONT BRAKE DISCS (Tech 128, 508.36)

4
3421739 WXB REMOVING AND INSTALLING OR REPLACING BRAKE PADS OF BOTH REAR DISC BRAKES (Tech 128, 195.16)

Last edited by swapsafari; 11-22-2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
  #1588  
Old 11-22-2011, 11:21 AM
madurodave's Avatar
madurodave madurodave is offline
BMW Enthusiast!
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,574
Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
I had my 2007 reprogrammed around 84000 miles ago. While not perfect, no major transmission issues.

Yes, they program DME and ECU at same time.

Don't worry yourself. I am sure you will be fine.
__________________
Madurodave

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Reply With Quote
  #1589  
Old 11-22-2011, 12:34 PM
swapsafari swapsafari is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Mexico
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 123
Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3 3.0si Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
I had my 2007 reprogrammed around 84000 miles ago. While not perfect, no major transmission issues.

Yes, they program DME and ECU at same time.

Don't worry yourself. I am sure you will be fine.
Thanks, madurodave. That makes me feel better! Mine is on 98.5K Miles. I am planning on doing a 2500 miles road trip during christmas! That's when I will hit the 100K mark
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1590  
Old 12-23-2011, 06:52 PM
solomoja solomoja is offline
Registered User
Location: Mississippi
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 2001 330i
Question Transmission Issue 09 X3 CPO

'09 X3 with 39k purchased as CPO in October. Rough up-shifting and down-shifting in lower gears. Dealer first told me he could not replicate the problem, then after I refused to accept that response, he apparnetly replicated the reported issue and said all AWD's shift roughly.

My '04 X3, also,of course, AWD, shifted smoothly.

Has anyone else had an issue with the transmission on an '09 X3?
Reply With Quote
  #1591  
Old 12-24-2011, 02:51 AM
Evlengr's Avatar
Evlengr Evlengr is offline
Ukemi - that's how I roll
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,252
Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomoja View Post
'09 X3 with 39k purchased as CPO in October. Rough up-shifting and down-shifting in lower gears. Dealer first told me he could not replicate the problem, then after I refused to accept that response, he apparnetly replicated the reported issue and said all AWD's shift roughly.

My '04 X3, also,of course, AWD, shifted smoothly.

Has anyone else had an issue with the transmission on an '09 X3?
Yes, there have been reported cases. That is why the thread reads 2007-2010 X3 Automatic Transmission Problem Master Thread.

Dealers and salespeople will all feign (lie) ignorance over this problem, even though it is one of the most highly publicized issues on BMW chat boards in recent history. You can go to any of the car sites, KBB, Cars.com, etc...and there will be comments on this.

You may be in luck as the newer models seem to be more conducive to having the DME/ECU flashed to correct this. DO NOT let them get away without fixing this or you will never be completely happy with the BMW and even with all my griping like this vehicle once it is made right.

The standard BMW answer to all problems are:

They all do this

It must be your driving

First time I have ever heard of this

It's BS.......Print out a couple of sheets from any web site and call their bluff.
__________________
2013 S4 Loaded (and NO RFT's) Awesome is an understatement
2008 MT X3 RIP you were a faithful sidekick and will be missed.
2007 AT X3 RIPOS
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 12-24-2011 at 02:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1592  
Old 12-24-2011, 07:08 PM
BigShark BigShark is offline
Registered User
Location: Austin, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 27
Send a message via AIM to BigShark
Mein Auto: X3si Sport
I seem to not have gotten mine fixed after many trips to the dealer and even having them reinstall a new transmission module. What can I do to have this fixed outside of going back to the dealer which I will never do!!!

My question in another way, If I go to a local mechanic, what can I have them do to fix this?
Reply With Quote
  #1593  
Old 12-29-2011, 01:08 PM
ghpup ghpup is offline
Glfbggy
Location: Idaho
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 272
Mein Auto: 07 X3si, 00 528, 00 MZ3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShark View Post
I seem to not have gotten mine fixed after many trips to the dealer and even having them reinstall a new transmission module. What can I do to have this fixed outside of going back to the dealer which I will never do!!!

My question in another way, If I go to a local mechanic, what can I have them do to fix this?
It is unlikely that the local indi mech can do anything as the typical 'fix' is to reflash the transmission system module. My understanding is that only BMW Service Departments have the tools/systems to accomplish this (likely due to the expense of acquiring one).
__________________
GLFBGGY
'00 MRoadster, '00 528, '07X3si
Reply With Quote
  #1594  
Old 12-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Evlengr's Avatar
Evlengr Evlengr is offline
Ukemi - that's how I roll
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,252
Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Go to a different dealer. After dealing with Passport for years and lots of headaches I went to another dealer and in one day they took care of issues I had been fighting Passport for six months. They swore up and down that it was BMWNA preventing them from doing the work.

Funny the other dealer had it ok'd and done in five hours.
__________________
2013 S4 Loaded (and NO RFT's) Awesome is an understatement
2008 MT X3 RIP you were a faithful sidekick and will be missed.
2007 AT X3 RIPOS
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Reply With Quote
  #1595  
Old 01-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Redbaron2500 Redbaron2500 is offline
Registered User
Location: West virginia
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0
2005 X3 AT issues

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to a lot of helpful info on the forum. I fixed some water intrusion problems (clogged sunroof drains) based on pictures and DIYs that I never would have figured out on my own, and I have been reading the 2007-2010 master thread on AT problems. Although I have a 2005, I seem to be experiencing similar problems to the 2007 and up ATs.

Here's what I'm experiencing -
In sport/ manual shift mode it shifts without complaint, either up or down the gears.
In drive mode if I step on it and accelerate quickly it shifts up to 3rd gear without issue then clunks and clunks and does not want to hit 4th gear. (only 5 speed AT).

Although a 2005, it only has 58K miles. I have owned for a little more than a year, and this problem cropped up a few months ago. In normal city driving it seems to shift fine, but, for example, my wife was trying to pass someone on the highway recently and it had the jerky failure to shift. This is not as obvious during gentle acceleration but the RPMs are going over (3.5-4.0) what they used to before it would shift from 3rd to 4th. It seems like slowing down and then gradually approaching 4th gear allows it to shift, but not always.

So what to do? Does anyone think the software update described in the thread is the fix? AT fluid and filter? Since it shifts appropriately in manual mode I am hoping/thinking that this is not a fluid or mechanical problem but an electronic problem.

Is there any way I can reset the ECU or some other electronic control module on my own to see if the AT will fix itself? I have a friend who has several computers and tunes and tracks his M3 and 335i and I think if this could be a DIY situation we could try and tackle it. I live about an hour and a half from the nearest BMW dealers (Pittsburgh) so dropping by the dealership is not a convenient option for me.

Again thanks for all the info on the forum and any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #1596  
Old 01-08-2012, 04:10 AM
Evlengr's Avatar
Evlengr Evlengr is offline
Ukemi - that's how I roll
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,252
Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron2500 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thanks to a lot of helpful info on the forum. I fixed some water intrusion problems (clogged sunroof drains) based on pictures and DIYs that I never would have figured out on my own, and I have been reading the 2007-2010 master thread on AT problems. Although I have a 2005, I seem to be experiencing similar problems to the 2007 and up ATs.

Here's what I'm experiencing -
In sport/ manual shift mode it shifts without complaint, either up or down the gears.
In drive mode if I step on it and accelerate quickly it shifts up to 3rd gear without issue then clunks and clunks and does not want to hit 4th gear. (only 5 speed AT).

Although a 2005, it only has 58K miles. I have owned for a little more than a year, and this problem cropped up a few months ago. In normal city driving it seems to shift fine, but, for example, my wife was trying to pass someone on the highway recently and it had the jerky failure to shift. This is not as obvious during gentle acceleration but the RPMs are going over (3.5-4.0) what they used to before it would shift from 3rd to 4th. It seems like slowing down and then gradually approaching 4th gear allows it to shift, but not always.

So what to do? Does anyone think the software update described in the thread is the fix? AT fluid and filter? Since it shifts appropriately in manual mode I am hoping/thinking that this is not a fluid or mechanical problem but an electronic problem.

Is there any way I can reset the ECU or some other electronic control module on my own to see if the AT will fix itself? I have a friend who has several computers and tunes and tracks his M3 and 335i and I think if this could be a DIY situation we could try and tackle it. I live about an hour and a half from the nearest BMW dealers (Pittsburgh) so dropping by the dealership is not a convenient option for me.

Again thanks for all the info on the forum and any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sorry, but wrong year. This is specifically the 6 speed GM6 tranny.
__________________
2013 S4 Loaded (and NO RFT's) Awesome is an understatement
2008 MT X3 RIP you were a faithful sidekick and will be missed.
2007 AT X3 RIPOS
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Reply With Quote
  #1597  
Old 01-11-2012, 07:45 AM
PC in Ohio PC in Ohio is offline
BMW CCA Member
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 139
Mein Auto: 2007 X3
So BMW found a software problem on my 2007 X3, and I'm (DME and EGS) updated now. Covered under CPO (after some discussion).

Last edited by PC in Ohio; 01-11-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1598  
Old 01-12-2012, 07:22 AM
madurodave's Avatar
madurodave madurodave is offline
BMW Enthusiast!
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,574
Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC in Ohio View Post
So BMW found a software problem on my 2007 X3, and I'm (DME and EGS) updated now. Covered under CPO (after some discussion).
Great! So is it shifting better now?
__________________
Madurodave

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Reply With Quote
  #1599  
Old 01-12-2012, 04:48 PM
PC in Ohio PC in Ohio is offline
BMW CCA Member
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 139
Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
Great! So is it shifting better now?
Yes. I think it's definately better now. Now getting the fluid on the transfer case and diffs changed so I should be good to go. Wish I had the manual transmission like yourself, but it's my wife's car and she's not interested in that transmission

I was listening to bimmerfile podcasts (which I recommend to anyone who's interested in BMW or enthusiast stuff) and they've had high praise for BMW manual transmissions. They prefer the wagons over the SUV's though in terms of performance. I understand where they're coming from but will say that BMW wagons are quite difficult to find new or used here in the US. Wife was also not interested in a wagon....
Reply With Quote
  #1600  
Old 01-12-2012, 07:47 PM
madurodave's Avatar
madurodave madurodave is offline
BMW Enthusiast!
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,574
Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
I actually have the 6 speed AT.
__________________
Madurodave

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms