Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanKM View Post
Anyone else heard of an indy having unlimited access to all the BMW software/computer systems?
Just about any indy would have a (low-cost) clone of BMW's networked GT1.

That would mean unlimited access to all the diagnostic tools - but they would have to proactively keep on top of updates.
And they wouldn't have the ability to pull up service records of any BMW vehicle, of course, nor any of the corporate communications.

This gives a good description of GT1 and what an indy shop (or individual) can buy to emulate it on a standalone basis:
http://bmwgt1.com/

I think ISIS comes in for the newer and faster (than CAN bus) protocol FlexRay.
Not sure if any of the later E83's had FlexRay - maybe starting with 2009's?

See:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t.../flex_ray.html

So yes, any good indy shop should be able to do the latest transmission update.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Bee Em UU

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Thanks for the info Supercourse. According to the indy, if the X3 has been hooked up to the dealership computer systems within the past ~2.5 years, then the software on there is through the ISIS program and they are unable to program things like DRL or 3 click blinkers through SSS. He stated that if it hasn't been in the dealer in the past couple years for anything more than an oil change (which mine hasnt) then the programing/coding is extremely simple through SSS, otherwise ISIS would take alittle more time.

Traded in with 90K Miles:
2007 X3 3.0si Black Sapphire Metallic, Grey Nevada, M Sport Package, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation, and Xenon.
Prod Date: March 2, 2007
Old 03-10-2012, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0si
I am starting to notice the gear shifting transmission problem everyone talks about.

What will this cost me at BMW to have this fixed without under warranty? Do I just tell them it's a software issue?

I basically realize it doesn't pick up the gears 1-2 very well when driving 5-10 miles per hour. It also is worse when the car is not fully warmed up...
Old 03-10-2012, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan710 View Post
I am starting to notice the gear shifting transmission problem everyone talks about.

What will this cost me at BMW to have this fixed without under warranty? Do I just tell them it's a software issue?

I basically realize it doesn't pick up the gears 1-2 very well when driving 5-10 miles per hour. It also is worse when the car is not fully warmed up...
Don't know how much it costs out of warranty. I'm not sure if BMW should charge at all because there is a service bulletin about this issue. I'm guessing they will charge you, however. Ask the dealership how much it is going to cost. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Three M View Post
Don't know how much it costs out of warranty. I'm not sure if BMW should charge at all because there is a service bulletin about this issue. I'm guessing they will charge you, however. Ask the dealership how much it is going to cost. Good luck!
Thanks man I will keep you posted! Saturday now no one is open. Will call when I get back from vacation. Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Thanks man I will keep you posted! Saturday now no one is open. Will call when I get back from vacation. Thanks for the quick reply!
If you have a good dealer they shouldnt charge you. Ask them to do it under Goodwill TSB. It is a very well known problem and if they say otherwise then go to another dealer as they are not being honest with you.

EE
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 03-10-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Remember a "service information bulletin" is not a recall and the service center doesn't fix the SIB's free when you are out of warranty. A recall is another matter and BMW has to fix those free. From what I have seen on the board recently the "goodwill" program that was doing pretty well a couple of years ago is now pretty hard to find, unless you are right out of warranty of have the "right" dealer. Just an observation -- still worth a try however!
Old 03-11-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Remember a "service information bulletin" is not a recall and the service center doesn't fix the SIB's free when you are out of warranty. A recall is another matter and BMW has to fix those free. From what I have seen on the board recently the "goodwill" program that was doing pretty well a couple of years ago is now pretty hard to find, unless you are right out of warranty of have the "right" dealer. Just an observation -- still worth a try however!
I am literally only 100 miles out of warranty. I have a few BMW places near me. Let's hope one of them helps me out.

Any idea exactly how I should word it to them?
Old 03-11-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I am literally only 100 miles out of warranty. I have a few BMW places near me. Let's hope one of them helps me out.

Any idea exactly how I should word it to them?
Yes, Tell them that this has been occuring off and on for the last 10k miles, but now it is consistent. Ask them to look up your service records and if the latest firmware flash has been done to your ECU and DME. If not since it such a well known issue and it can be life threatening if they would do this through goodwill tsb.

If they say it is up to BMWNA that is a redflag that they are full of $h+t. The goodwill tsb was written to give dealers the ability to make "The Call". Since this is not parts or major labor they should acccomodate given you are only 100 miles out and they should have asked you about it before warranty expired.

Good Luck
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
What he said. BTW, its called "Customer Assistance Program" and there is a link to the SIB on the "Pay it Forward" sticky right below this thread. It would help if you read this and printed it out so you would know if the dealer is blowing smoke or not. Good luck!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Yes, Tell them that this has been occuring off and on for the last 10k miles, but now it is consistent. Ask them to look up your service records and if the latest firmware flash has been done to your ECU and DME. If not since it such a well known issue and it can be life threatening if they would do this through goodwill tsb.

If they say it is up to BMWNA that is a redflag that they are full of $h+t. The goodwill tsb was written to give dealers the ability to make "The Call". Since this is not parts or major labor they should acccomodate given you are only 100 miles out and they should have asked you about it before warranty expired.

Good Luck
This is a delayed response but I was away for a few weeks.

I spoke to my BMW service dept. and their head manager was very helpful. He knew exactly what I was talking about even had the 08' X3 himself. I now have an appointment in 2 weeks(needed to be on a week day for this). I had no problem with that and is going to do under as if I still had warranty. So lets hope this works which from all the posts it seems it will.

Whether I get charged the $50 service charge or $0 I will be happy that they are doing the upgrade to the software!

Thank you for all the replies and help!
Old 04-16-2012, 04:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnomucho View Post
I am replying to my original post just to wrap this up.

Multiple software updates applied with no measurable improvement. UNTIL...

June 2011 visit to service department with software patch applied. After 1500 miles of driving, the problem with hesitation and awkward shifts has been completely fixed.

Wow... they finally got there but you have to wonder, why did it take so long? I am sure it is somewhere in this thread so will keep reading.

I should be grateful to BMW for finally fixing this? Uh...

Finally completely happy with this vehicle, one of the best I have owned.

2007 X3 36000 miles.
I have been plagued with the same issues for my 2007 X3 and have spent countless hours fighting with my dealership. They have actually sort of worked with me and did do all the resets as I brought all the bulletins with me and raised it to the highest level. That was over a year ago and the car seems to have resorted back to the old problem. In fact, I got a new battery in the fall of 2011 and I had them reset the transmission and it didn't seem like they did anything. Still have all the same problems, they didn't mention anything about a new software update/patch that came out in 2011. Can anyone please tell me what this update is so I can bring it to their attention and get it applied on my car?????? I would be forever grateful!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3 3.0si Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlgarry View Post
I have been plagued with the same issues for my 2007 X3 and have spent countless hours fighting with my dealership. They have actually sort of worked with me and did do all the resets as I brought all the bulletins with me and raised it to the highest level. That was over a year ago and the car seems to have resorted back to the old problem. In fact, I got a new battery in the fall of 2011 and I had them reset the transmission and it didn't seem like they did anything. Still have all the same problems, they didn't mention anything about a new software update/patch that came out in 2011. Can anyone please tell me what this update is so I can bring it to their attention and get it applied on my car?????? I would be forever grateful!
rl,
I plan to make a visit to my dealership sometime to get the software updated. I have a slight hesitation in between 1-2 gears after the transmission fluid change. I want to give a shot at it by updating the software to see if it helps. Can you tell me where you found all the bulletins? I would like to take it with me to the dealership so that I don't have to fight with them over this issue.
Thanks!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:57 AM

Difference between factory reset+operator/driver adapability memory reset

Can someone please tell me what the difference is between the factory/dealer transmission reset and the transmission reset that resets the driver adaptability memory function (the one where you hold your foot down on the gas for 25s)? There have been mixed posts on here if that can even be done on the X3 by yourself. I am still having transmission issues since getting all the software updates (not sure if there is a 2011 update I am missing) but also want to make sure I understand this so that at the very least I can have the dealership truly reset this transmission. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguymr View Post
So in 65 pages, has anyone been able to post any information pointing to an actual SIB that addresses this issue?
I just bought a used 2007 BMW X3 and I'm having all these same transmission issues. Never saw an answer to this question about where to find the actual SIB (or TSB - whatever they are called) Sure would be helpful to a lot of people who are looking for answers for this problem! Would love to be able to print out the SIB so I could show my dealer when I take my car in. I've already gotten a little bit of the run around!
Please post a link to the newest SIB for this transmission problem! Thanks!

Last edited by sb12759; 04-16-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Can someone please tell me what the difference is between the factory/dealer transmission reset and the transmission reset that resets the driver adaptability memory function (the one where you hold your foot down on the gas for 25s)? There have been mixed posts on here if that can even be done on the X3 by yourself. I am still having transmission issues since getting all the software updates (not sure if there is a 2011 update I am missing) but also want to make sure I understand this so that at the very least I can have the dealership truly reset this transmission. Thanks!
The quick reset just puts the memorized aspect of shifting back to a clean slate. Supposedly the X3 learns your driving habits and fine tunes the relationship of engine and transmission. This puts it back to the beginning baseline.

The SIB is an actual change in the way the transmission and engine work together with shifting points. This effectively changes the baseline of that relationship.

And UJ, no disrespect intended, but it is NOT a software only issue. If it was there would be no X3's out there with this problem. At least not for as long as it has been (6 years).
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 04-17-2012, 04:06 AM

Quote:
The quick reset just puts the memorized aspect of shifting back to a clean slate. Supposedly the X3 learns your driving habits and fine tunes the relationship of engine and transmission. This puts it back to the beginning baseline.

The SIB is an actual change in the way the transmission and engine work together with shifting points. This effectively changes the baseline of that relationship.

And UJ, no disrespect intended, but it is NOT a software only issue. If it was there would be no X3's out there with this problem. At least not for as long as it has been (6 years).
So then what is the difference when the dealer does the factory reset vs. the quick reset that you describe above? And since you are very knowledgable about this transmission issue, can you confirm that there has been an update to the software in 2011 and if so, do you have that SIB/TSB?

I am not a mechanic but I agree with Evengr that it can't be just a software issue or my car would be fixed. Its been through every update multiple times, reset, etc. That's what BMW gets for putting in an american part as important as the transmission (and the customer gets all the aggravation and problems, thanks BMW)
Old 04-17-2012, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: X3 E83
Quote:
So then what is the difference when the dealer does the factory reset vs. the quick reset that you describe above? And since you are very knowledgable about this transmission issue, can you confirm that there has been an update to the software in 2011 and if so, do you have that SIB/TSB?

I am not a mechanic but I agree with Evengr that it can't be just a software issue or my car would be fixed. Its been through every update multiple times, reset, etc. That's what BMW gets for putting in an american part as important as the transmission (and the customer gets all the aggravation and problems, thanks BMW)
I tried to do the transmission reset twice but to no avail.

The first time, with the key in Position 1 where only the fasten seatbelt icon lit up.
The second time, with the key in Position 2 where the entire console lit up with all the icons.

I pressed the Pedal all the way more than 30 seconds, and have not heard any clicking sound. And obviously I didn't notice any difference, hence why I'm writing this.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-24-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
This is a delayed response but I was away for a few weeks.

I spoke to my BMW service dept. and their head manager was very helpful. He knew exactly what I was talking about even had the 08' X3 himself. I now have an appointment in 2 weeks(needed to be on a week day for this). I had no problem with that and is going to do under as if I still had warranty. So lets hope this works which from all the posts it seems it will.

Whether I get charged the $50 service charge or $0 I will be happy that they are doing the upgrade to the software!

Thank you for all the replies and help!

This has official been fixed! I can't believe the difference. It is just great to be able to cruise around in the X3 and not have to worry about it. During the day Open Road called me, wasn't the original guy I made the appointment with I guess it was the service guy. He said we couldn't find any problem with the car or anything while hooked up to the computer. I am like well did you drive it and understand my problem? He said we couldn't find any issues but we did the software upgrade for you since your cars production time fell in the time frame. I was over 50k, but since I made the appointment so far out I told them when I show up I am going to be over my miles, they noted the account and had no problem. $0 balance and car drives nice and of course extra clean and vacuumed now after a service appointment! Thanks for all the help I got on the forum page. You all rock!

Old 04-24-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
This has official been fixed! I can't believe the difference. It is just great to be able to cruise around in the X3 and not have to worry about it. During the day Open Road called me, wasn't the original guy I made the appointment with I guess it was the service guy. He said we couldn't find any problem with the car or anything while hooked up to the computer. I am like well did you drive it and understand my problem? He said we couldn't find any issues but we did the software upgrade for you since your cars production time fell in the time frame. I was over 50k, but since I made the appointment so far out I told them when I show up I am going to be over my miles, they noted the account and had no problem. $0 balance and car drives nice and of course extra clean and vacuumed now after a service appointment! Thanks for all the help I got on the forum page. You all rock!

Don't want to burst your bubble, but please check back in about 300-500 miles. The transmission will have relearned your driving habits and its own by this time. If it is still good by then please post the SIB they performed so other will know.

Cheers,

EE
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 04-25-2012, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Don't want to burst your bubble, but please check back in about 300-500 miles. The transmission will have relearned your driving habits and its own by this time. If it is still good by then please post the SIB they performed so other will know.

Cheers,

EE
Can you just post the SIB now whilst it's fresh on your mind? And not to risk you forgetting to post it here later?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:

Cheers,

EE
I will get the receipt tonight from my car of exactly what they did. But going into the appointment, I gave them this:

The quoted SIB 12 17 07 above has been UPDATED as of 6-2008.
The NEW update now lists NEW versions of the DME and EGS software.

DME software update version # 7603270
EGS software update version # 7586452

They said they did exactly what I asked for...
Old 05-22-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digerati View Post

The first time, with the key in Position 1 where only the fasten seatbelt icon lit up.
The second time, with the key in Position 2 where the entire console lit up with all the icons.

I pressed the Pedal all the way more than 30 seconds, and have not heard any clicking sound. And obviously I didn't notice any difference, hence why I'm writing this.

Any thoughts?
Anybody? Thanking you in advance
Old 05-22-2012, 07:37 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
I never tried it myself. Nothing in this thread?

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by digerati View Post

Any thoughts?
Lots of discussion of this in various BMW forums, and others, including Audi.

No clear indication that it works for either GM or ZF transmissions. Or both, or neither.
Some BMW techs. have been quoted as saying no such reset exists, whereas others have said online that it is real.

See: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...83&postcount=5
(From a 7 series forum, I believe.)

Anyway, I don't think you will hear a click or anything after the 25 -30 secs. - that may be distorted info. arising from the instruction to first press the pedal beyond the kickdown point where you may hear a click.

Others say that if it does anything, it puts the transmission into a sport mode (among the 5 mappings it has), and will be effective for the next start only.

Can't see that the 25 secs. has to be precise - just that holding the accelerator down that long is interpreted the same as when actually driving with a heavy foot.