Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-21-2008, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Perhaps I felt like I got rubbed the wrong way. My apologies to AD. Life is short and I don't have time to chase BMW and really don't need the frustration. Since BMW refuses to comment we do not know if there will be a fix forthcoming. I'm not chasing my tail for another 2 years. It's time to move on. If others wish to fight the battle then go ahead. Some people will make crusades out of these things. There is a guy in the office talking to a lawyer because the wheel keeps braking on his $500 baby stroller! I've got better things to do like focus on my new (to me) Porsche.

As I've said before, the tranny/throttle is about 95% now but it's still not pleasant vehicle to drive in the city and I can't accept it. I can't accept that for $700/mo.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Matti, I'm glad that you can keep a different attitude than me.

Me I think exposing a life threatening and very costly lie is a responsibilty we have as owners.

I now have my X3 back from the water leak problem that was my fault due to poor choice of an stereo installer, but that is another story.

The difference between the 528xi (the loaner I had) with the ZP something something trannsmission is unmistakably better than the X3.

The 328xi were jsut as good, and the best part is the Service Manager swears the trannsmission on the 328xi is different from the X3 so of course it drives different. Lol

This vehicle ( the 528xi) had 127 miles on it so had no time to "Adapt" to anyone's driving style, yet it glided through shifts up and down in normal "D" mode like there were no gear changes.

I have taken up a "Crusade" for the obvious reasons I have stated before, but I have taken it up also because I detest liars.

And to tell people its their fault for the past year and not to admit there is a problem doesn't get any bigger as a lie.

Look up X3 trannsmission problems and you will see this problem is more wide spread than this site.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
some dealers really are just stupid. I was once told by a honda dealer (this was LONG LONG ago when i was looking to replace the 71 2002 and still really really young) that the Civic I was looking at had 4 wheel disc brakes... when you could clearly see drums through the wheel covers, which i was told also were alloys.

I was also told that the sunroof in my 06 X3, though a slightly different issue, was SUPPOSED to make noise and rattles as it was "designed that way" by the engineers.

Why can't they just fess up and either a: admit they don't have the answer instead of making one up, or b: admit there is a problem.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 02-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
delete

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle

Last edited by kjboyd; 02-21-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:37 AM
STEVIL Empire

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 328i
Interesting point of information....It seems not all 2007 X3 models were built with the 6AT. The ones that go to Australia have the 5AT..
http://www.bmw.com.au/scripts/main.asp?PageID=11975
Vehicle 2007 BMW X3 si
Price $83,000 (Price excludes statutory charges)
Kilometres 1,578
Body 4 door Wagon
Colour Monaco Blue Metallic
Trim Sand Beige Lethernevada
Transmission 5 speed Automatic
Engine 6 cylinder Unleaded Multi-point injected 3.0L (2979cc)

2014 E84 xDrive28i 8AT-Alpine White/Black Nevada/Silver Matte w/ZMV,ZLP,494 - DD 3/14/14
Old 02-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
Interesting point of information....It seems not all 2007 X3 models were built with the 6AT. The ones that go to Australia have the 5AT...
Or a poorly-informed car salesman... let's see....which to believe?
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 02-24-2008, 04:05 PM
BIMMER Freak

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Imperial Bl/Blk
Smile Appointment this week for Transmission Hesitation. What to say?

Does anyone have advice on how to approach the AT hesitation issue on first visit? I've been noticing the problem since about 3K miles (just hit 10K) and am finally taking it in because the battery light flashes every morning as well. I want them to re-program the software without telling me I'm imagining something. I'll be taking the car to New Century in Alhambra CA. What is the correct service bulletin number? Is it true that the Jan 08 update was pulled? My issue isn't as severe as some of the other postings and does not happen when in SD mode. It's still bothersome and the lag can be potentially dangerous. Thanks all!
2007 X3 3.0si Titanium Silver, Xenons, NAV, Htd seats, Step
2006 E60 525i Black Sapphire, Prem, Cold wthr, Xenons, NAV, Step (transferred lease)
2004 Z4 2.5 Steel Gray, Step, Leather, Heated Seats, Power Top
2001 E46 330i Titanium Silver, Prem, Sport, Xenons, Step

Last edited by jmcbmw; 02-24-2008 at 04:06 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-25-2008, 06:14 AM

Bullet Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcbmw View Post
Does anyone have advice on how to approach the AT hesitation issue on first visit? I've been noticing the problem since about 3K miles (just hit 10K) and am finally taking it in because the battery light flashes every morning as well. I want them to re-program the software without telling me I'm imagining something. I'll be taking the car to New Century in Alhambra CA. What is the correct service bulletin number? Is it true that the Jan 08 update was pulled? My issue isn't as severe as some of the other postings and does not happen when in SD mode. It's still bothersome and the lag can be potentially dangerous. Thanks all!
Here ya go:
  • The most recent SIB update is (version 27.2.1)
  • The last SIB update did not work and was pulled back. In one reported case it did more damage than good.
  • Have the SA take you out in a NON GM6 transmission BMW such as a X5 or 5 series sedan AT, then have him/her take a spin in your X3. There's a big difference.
  • Whatever they tell you: It's not your driving style, and the transmission "adaptive" feature is not the culprit. They have many "Canned" excuses (seems all dealers say the same thing which makes it equally more suspicious that BMWNA knows they have a problem.)
  • Cold weather seems to bring out the worst in the GM6 transmission.
  • If you feel this is a serious problem as many do...report it to the NHSTA under recall and complaints. The more that are filed the sooner BMWNA will have to own up and fix this right. They ahve had over a year to correct this mistake and it is not surfacing in the 08 models.

Please post your experience with your dealer, SA, and BMW. All of us would love to put this to rest sooner than later.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: e46, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Here ya go:
  • The most recent SIB update is (version 27.2.1)
  • The last SIB update did not work and was pulled back. In one reported case it did more damage than good.
  • Have the SA take you out in a NON GM6 transmission BMW such as a X5 or 5 series sedan AT, then have him/her take a spin in your X3. There's a big difference.
  • Whatever they tell you: It's not your driving style, and the transmission "adaptive" feature is not the culprit. They have many "Canned" excuses (seems all dealers say the same thing which makes it equally more suspicious that BMWNA knows they have a problem.)
  • Cold weather seems to bring out the worst in the GM6 transmission.
  • If you feel this is a serious problem as many do...report it to the NHSTA under recall and complaints. The more that are filed the sooner BMWNA will have to own up and fix this right. They ahve had over a year to correct this mistake and it is not surfacing in the 08 models.

Please post your experience with your dealer, SA, and BMW. All of us would love to put this to rest sooner than later.

Did you get rid of your X3 yet? I am really surprised you are even considering another BMW based upon your experience.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:12 AM

Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman View Post
Did you get rid of your X3 yet? I am really surprised you are even considering another BMW based upon your experience.
If they buy it back I won't.

If they trade it out I don't have a choice do I? Since the only real issue is the AT tranny it seems an MT will circumvent this once and for all.

It's like they handed a sheet to all the dealers with little check boxes telling them what to say in the event this comes up. I feel bad for the dealers since they are on the front lines.

In the interim I don't want other owners getting the same BS answers I got. And the GM6 AT seems to be the common denominator in this whole mess.

IMO they (BMWNA) have been stalling and figure people will eventually give up. I won't!

Last edited by Evlengr; 02-25-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:32 AM
FORMER X3 *****

Mein Auto: former x3 owner
Quote:
[*]If you feel this is a serious problem as many do...report it to the NHSTA under recall and complaints.
I went to the NHSTA web site to post the complaint but for 2008 they do not have all the BMW models loaded so I am unable to register via the web site.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:28 PM

Arrow Build Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by viii_ball View Post
I went to the NHSTA web site to post the complaint but for 2008 they do not have all the BMW models loaded so I am unable to register via the web site.
I would suggest filing under 2007, since the build date was probably 2007.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:42 AM
FORMER X3 *****

Mein Auto: former x3 owner
Quote:
I would suggest filing under 2007, since the build date was probably 2007.
My build date is 9/07.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:59 AM

I have contacted the NHSTA and asked them to update their system to allow for complaints to be filed against the 2008 models.

I will post what they recommend if you care to wait. In the meantime post with the BBB.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:55 PM

Are the problems fixed in the '08 models yet?

My 07 X3 is in the shop for the third time getting its latest software update for the transmission problem. This time they also found a leaking seal or gasket. They've had it for 3 days now.

I love the car other than these transmission problems. Question is, has the problem truly been fixed in the newest 08 models? If I order one, will it be ok? I've spent the evening test driving other SUVs and can't find one that compares.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by scholzh View Post
My 07 X3 is in the shop for the third time getting its latest software update for the transmission problem. This time they also found a leaking seal or gasket. They've had it for 3 days now.

I love the car other than these transmission problems. Question is, has the problem truly been fixed in the newest 08 models? If I order one, will it be ok? I've spent the evening test driving other SUVs and can't find one that compares.
The newest X3s do not appear to have issues. Some '08s are affected. The cutoff date is 11/07 production. I drove a 11/07 build X3 as a loaner and it had no unusual symptoms. Others with later build dates seem to have no complaints as well.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:55 PM

Azn I really hate to contradict you but driving one of the newer X3's for a day is not a fair review of the transmission problem.

After driving a 5 series for a week I can tell you there is a HUGE difference in shifting. Some would even say that is not a fair comparison or enough time.

Some people have had their vehicles several thousand miles before this surfaced.

In fact a good number of the people that are currently unhappy with their X3's were originally nay-sayers to the problem.

Plus I recall when you drove the 08 it was relatively warmer weather and the problem really shows itself at 32 degrees and below.

There seems to be the same ratio of bad 08's as 07's. The big difference is that there has been a huge drop in X3 sales so the numbers can't be tabulated yet.

There was a poll specifically referring to the 07/08 transition before this thread was consolidated that showed the number of complaintants is growing not diminishing.

I like many of the features and functions of the X3 as well, but the transmission issue has not been fixed. There are not any other real competitors with consideration to handling, but if you are to order an AT go in with both eyes open. The transmission issue has not been fixed or they would apply it to all the outstanding vehicles that have voiced their dissatisfaction.

Last edited by Evlengr; 02-26-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:57 AM
BIMMER Freak

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Imperial Bl/Blk
Transmission Service Experience

Thanks to those who gave me advice. I went in today and described my transmisions hesitation/surging issue. I did mention SIB 27.2.1 as recommended). When the car was ready the SA told me that they could not duplicate the problem but did the software update anyway. I was happy that they did not give me any hassle and did it anyway as I did not have a chance to go on a test drive. Picked up the car and I drove off and IMMEDIATELY noticed how much smoother the transmission was for acceleration and deceleration. Everything. I just couldn't believe it all the way home. It's like a different car and I feel like it drives the way a Bimmer should now! Feels almost like a 328xi now which was the intention to begin with.

Interestingly, my service document states the following:

PERFORM SIB 24 08 07. PROGRAM EGS. D.C. 23 00 38 61 00 UPON COMPLETION. PERFORM GT1 TEST, CHECK DME SOFTWARE. FOUND SOFTWARE LEVEL 7567609, IT IS BELOW 7585570. PROGRAM DME. D.C. 10 42 03 71 00. PERFORM GT1 TEST AND SET STEERING ANGLE SENSOR.

Not sure what this all means exactly but it appears that they did not do SIB 27.2.1. Is this the SIB that was pulled? If not, maybe it's a new fix.

All I know is that it drives great now. If anything whatsoever changes, I will post it.

Thanks.
2007 X3 3.0si Titanium Silver, Xenons, NAV, Htd seats, Step
2006 E60 525i Black Sapphire, Prem, Cold wthr, Xenons, NAV, Step (transferred lease)
2004 Z4 2.5 Steel Gray, Step, Leather, Heated Seats, Power Top
2001 E46 330i Titanium Silver, Prem, Sport, Xenons, Step

Last edited by jmcbmw; 02-27-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:20 AM

It can be confusing but the SIB is correct the 27.2.1 is a version of that SIB. Take liberal use of all portions of shifting: SD, D, and M modes. Your vehilce is now back in learning mode.

Your dealer has given the most detailed description of services I have seen to date. The DME and EGS are the critical components in correcting the shifting problem.

Since you are in CA you won't be subjected to colder weather, but if you go to the mountains at all pay special attention to its behavior in cold weather as this seems to be the remaining weak link in the tranny.

Glad to see it has changed for you.

Last edited by Evlengr; 02-27-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: X3 2007 3.0si AT
Quote:
Azn I really hate to contradict you but driving one of the newer X3's for a day is not a fair review of the transmission problem.
Evl, I totally agree with you. I can't believe how I would have bought my x3 after 2 test drive of the demos (in Nov 06). As I have said, one day I drive it, all seems better but another day the worst came back. Its like going to a casino, no kidding. Also, problems with cold weather doesn't mean it will get better after the car has warmed up, it stays bad for the whole trip (up to an hour). Its worst in slow city driving or bumper to bumper traffic. And, it gives you unpredictable jolts every once a while. Can someone defines what's a defect? No one, I mean no one can make such uncomfortable shifting car and say that its designed to be like that. Its unpredictable, inconsistent, its a waste of such an otherwise perfect car for me.

I remember when they test drive the car with me, they tried to drive it as gentle as it can be, because when you drives it aggressively, it really brings out the worst of it.

I can almost sense that Vatkins is on the sideline ready to settle with you Evl, even if they do, please don't leave us behind! Please!!
Old 02-27-2008, 07:52 AM

Thumbs up All For One and One for All

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ml View Post
Evl, I totally agree with you. I can't believe how I would have bought my x3 after 2 test drive of the demos (in Nov 06). As I have said, one day I drive it, all seems better but another day the worst came back. Its like going to a casino, no kidding. Also, problems with cold weather doesn't mean it will get better after the car has warmed up, it stays bad for the whole trip (up to an hour). Its worst in slow city driving or bumper to bumper traffic. And, it gives you unpredictable jolts every once a while. Can someone defines what's a defect? No one, I mean no one can make such uncomfortable shifting car and say that its designed to be like that. Its unpredictable, inconsistent, its a waste of such an otherwise perfect car for me.

I remember when they test drive the car with me, they tried to drive it as gentle as it can be, because when you drives it aggressively, it really brings out the worst of it.

I can almost sense that Vatkins is on the sideline ready to settle with you Evl, even if they do, please don't leave us behind! Please!!
I think "Vatkens" is in the corner relaying this information as we speak.

Actually to be blunt I asked right up front for a Trade Assist and was told that there is nothing wrong with my vehicle and that I would need to contact BMW customer service.

I really can't see how they can say it with a straight face after driving other BMW's for extended periods of time.

I am letting other people deal with them now since I gave them an oppurtunity to play nice not three strikes but several innings (six times in the shop with incremental changes means there is a problem).

This is not one person that will go away until they solve it for all folks.

Last edited by Evlengr; 02-27-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Well, given that it hasn't been that long since the 11/07 builds starting rolling out, I'm not surprised to see that about half the '08s report this issue because think about it, it's only been 3 months since November builds started rolling out. The '08 model year started in mid August, so it's been an equivalent 3 months between 8/07 and 11/07. Thus, there are probably slightly more pre-fix '08s floating around on the roads than post-fix X3s.

Time will tell whether the new ones have the issue. If the 4/08 build X3s still have a problem, then we can say nothing was rectified for '08.

You've really got to understand that BMW is working on it with diligence. It's not easy to pair new software to a car that uses older electronics. Clearly BMW hasn't gotten it quite right, but it's kind of like if BMW put iDrive on the X3 and the stuff didn't work out. BMW had to try a lot of times to fix the creaking driver's door frame before anything worked, well, sort of. Plus, they've got a zillion other issues on the other models.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Actually to be blunt I asked right up front for a Trade Assist and was told that there is nothing wrong with my vehicle and that I would need to contact BMW customer service.

I really can't see how they can say it with a straight face after driving other BMW's for extended periods of time.
There is nothing wrong with the car, if your are a Martian who has just landed his UFO, or you travelled from the 1930's via a time machine.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 007 X3 si
My 2007 x3 built at 08/06 with auto trans. I had same problems what you guy have, and did upgrade software, but problems were still there and was geting worse. After waited two weeks got new DME from Germany, replaced DME and adjusted torque. have 800 KM on it now, all problem gone, trans shift smooth and no heist problem any more even in conner turn. gas milleage in city is about 12.5L/100 (in canada). hope it realy fixed this time.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWx307 View Post
My 2007 x3 built at 08/06 with auto trans. I had same problems what you guy have, and did upgrade software, but problems were still there and was geting worse. After waited two weeks got new DME from Germany, replaced DME and adjusted torque. have 800 KM on it now, all problem gone, trans shift smooth and no heist problem any more even in conner turn. gas milleage in city is about 12.5L/100 (in canada). hope it realy fixed this time.
Am I hearing right?!? All problems gone! Everything's perfect? So new DME unit is the solution. Looks like the old DME just doesn't have enough memory or something. Wow!! Wow!! So can you feel the shifts, no more back and forth motions like riding a horse?!?