Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Alternatives to a $699 Bluetooth Module?

Are there any lower cost alternatives to these for adding Bluetooth capability to an E46?

I checked into some suppliers and find it hard to believe the quotes, for just the parts, below:

Bimmernav: $695:
http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catal...6-item-91.html

Bavarian Soundwerks: $699:
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...oth-Phone-Kit/

I'm not seeing the value of spending nearly $700, plus install parts, plus labor (my own, or shops) in order to get this function on a four year old car (2003 330i). even as cool as it is.

When priced as part of a new car, even the complete BMW Assist and Bluetooth on an '07 328i is $750, fer gosh sakes.

Any thoughts?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 05 M3
I'd like to know, too. If someone knows a cheaper solution to get bluetooth integration while retaining the steering wheel controls and factory mic, I'd love to hear it.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Boogety Boogety

Mein Auto: 325Ci
You mean something like this?

http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/...lwith3000.html

Old 02-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
There is a cheaper solution - look into the Parrot CK3000-series kits. They use the factory speakers and steering wheel buttons, you only need to install an aftermarket microphone.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
If you are looking for a cheap solution (approx $60 to $80) that works reasonably well check out the parrot minikit. Do a search on google for reviews, but basically, it is a totally self contained solution that requires no wiring or installation. Sort of looks like a radar detector and mounts on the sunvisor. It has voice recognition so it can be hands free once you press a button to activate it. I have one for my vert and I liked it so much I bought one for my wife. You do have to briefly touch another button to hang up. Check out this site:
http://parrotminikit.com/

BTW I find the voice quality to be very good with my sanyo katana.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to jusmills Send a message via Yahoo to jusmills
Mein Auto: '04 330Ci
Does anyone know someone with this installed. It seems like a pretty reasonable option (over the $699 unit from BMW). The thing I would be interested is if the system looks stock (ie no external displays or the like). If that was the case, I'd give it a shot. On the parrot website it looks like the steering wheel function is only enabled on 2005+ cars (not sure if that's true), because other places I've seen it online say as long as the car isn't actively using the BMW supplied verizon phone.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: e46 325i, e92 335i, A7
Go to bavauto and type this into the search box: BT AEXP1 . It is a modified version of the Parrot kit that uses our car's built in wiring.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeek204 View Post
Go to bavauto and type this into the search box: BT AEXP1 . It is a modified version of the Parrot kit that uses our car's built in wiring.
Excellent find, thanks much. Even on sale at $269 - Now that's what I'm talkin about!

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: 03 325i
that bt aexp1 does not use steering wheel buttons as far as I can tell. the bt aexp3 seems to but its $459 bucks
Old 02-13-2008, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbom99 View Post
that bt aexp1 does not use steering wheel buttons as far as I can tell. the bt aexp3 seems to but its $459 bucks
Yes, I noticed that as well. I think I could just sneak $459 past The Boss, but $700 would cause the search lights to be turned on and the Dogs to be released...

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:24 AM

So...does anyone know if these bluetooth modules use the factory mic? (I know my car has a mic up above the mirror cause my car has BMW assist.) And do they work with the iPhone? Guess it's time to google "plain talk" and "parrot".
Old 02-13-2008, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci SULEV
The link mentioned something about BMW's that directly call verizon from the steering wheel, was there an update that would allow this device to work?
Old 02-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsandoval View Post
The link mentioned something about BMW's that directly call verizon from the steering wheel, was there an update that would allow this device to work?
No. BMW Assist cannot be retrofitted.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: '03 325i, '88 325iC
http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/pro...alObjectId=153

Motorola hands free unit. $40 at Staples. Works fine and uses the same charger as my phone.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to CC3_1
Mein Auto: 02 E46 325ci
NO WAY !!! check out the Vizualogic Cig Bluetooth. go to the viz web page... off the hook and made for a BMW
Old 02-15-2008, 06:32 AM

OK, the Vizualogic Cig-Blue looks pretty interesting. I'm intrigued. Anyone have anymore info? Their website is kind of lacking.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:30 AM
Boogety Boogety

Mein Auto: 325Ci
For about the same money of the Cig-Blue or less, you could also do this...

http://www.egohandsfree.com/ego-flash.html

The display screen looks small enough that you could install it and hide it in the ashtray area behind the flip-up door... ISO connectors should mean plug-and-play for our cars (I haven't personally looked into this, so do your own due diligence)... there are a lot of new Bluetooth™ products coming on the market monthly, just Google away for more info or new "discoveries"...
Old 02-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_325i View Post
http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/pro...alObjectId=153

Motorola hands free unit. $40 at Staples. Works fine and uses the same charger as my phone.
I checked that out before I bought the parrot minikit. The voice quality is better on the parrot and it has way more features for just a little more money. The motorola is a nice basic unit though. And the price is right.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Saw this at Costco for $70 or so:

http://www.jabra.com/sites/Jabra/GNI..._EM_EN_811.pdf

Anyone have one of these? For me it might be the one with enough features at the right price...

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogety View Post
Ok, I'm confused. This isn't a plug and play kit?

BT AEXP kit is the Parrot 3000 + all the wiring that goes with it? How hard is it to install the Parrot 3000?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci
anyone?
Old 03-08-2008, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan View Post
Saw this at Costco for $70 or so:

http://www.jabra.com/sites/Jabra/GNI..._EM_EN_811.pdf

Anyone have one of these? For me it might be the one with enough features at the right price...
Bought this yesterday, charged it and tested this morning.

Initial verdict: Perfect.

Most of the calls in my car are from outside, so the value of having all the buttons etc. from the steering wheel etc. is not worth the $700. Most of the time somebody calls me and with a MT car, I'm always fumbling with the gearshift and the phone to answer it.

This unit clips to the visor and paired effortlessly with my two-year old Motorola Razr.

I started the car, then used voice dialing on the phone, through the mic, to call Master Wingspan (who graciously took a break from Halo 3 to conduct my test. ). Sounded clear as a bell. He then called me, I answered with a tap on the unit.

I checked on Amazon and some comments indicated a problem with only the car charger in the kit. They must have listened because this unit came with a wall-plug adapter box to plug the 12V coil into, worked fine.

Plus now I can take this on business trips and use it in rental cars.

I'll post back in a while with real-world tests but for the moment this Jabra unit looks like it really answered my needs.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 bmw 300i
bluetooth 2004 bmw 300i

ok so i got my car a few months ago.....it has already all the setting on the steering wheel for hand free....how do i activated with my black berry? I am totqally lost
Old 03-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafael ferrera View Post
ok so i got my car a few months ago.....it has already all the setting on the steering wheel for hand free....how do i activated with my black berry? I am totqally lost
the button on your steering wheel means nothing (all cars come with them regardless of options) - you probably need to install the bluetooth kit.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan View Post
Bought this yesterday, charged it and tested this morning.

Initial verdict: Perfect.

Most of the calls in my car are from outside, so the value of having all the buttons etc. from the steering wheel etc. is not worth the $700. Most of the time somebody calls me and with a MT car, I'm always fumbling with the gearshift and the phone to answer it.

This unit clips to the visor and paired effortlessly with my two-year old Motorola Razr.

I started the car, then used voice dialing on the phone, through the mic, to call Master Wingspan (who graciously took a break from Halo 3 to conduct my test. ). Sounded clear as a bell. He then called me, I answered with a tap on the unit.

I checked on Amazon and some comments indicated a problem with only the car charger in the kit. They must have listened because this unit came with a wall-plug adapter box to plug the 12V coil into, worked fine.

Plus now I can take this on business trips and use it in rental cars.

I'll post back in a while with real-world tests but for the moment this Jabra unit looks like it really answered my needs.

Still extremely pleased with this Jabra unit.

I've only charged it twice so far, initially and then an additional time.

The auto shut-off is nice, when you leave it in the car it just turns off by itself.

The push / tap / hold operation is slightly tricky to calibrate, but once I figured out the sequence, and started to recognized the various beeps and boops the unit makes, it is easy to answer or make a call.

The only thing is I saw it on sale at Costco for $49.99 after I bought it.

I used it last week on a trip to the DC area in the rental car, it worked very well.

Recommended.

- J.C. Watts Jr.