Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Whether you are a current BMW owner or just interested in BMW cars, we hope you enjoy your visit. Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a picture of your BMW for the rest of the community to see.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:39 AM

Mein Auto: Bimmer 525i 2002
My first lesson on fix my E39/M54, change camshaft sensor (intake side)

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I am new to hands-on on my Bimmer.

But with all your guys good work, I am hoping i can learn quickly. I am sick and tired on getting a rip-off by BMW dealers in my area (San Francisco Bay Area). They charged me $800 for doing Inspection I. The sad thing was I paid them.

My motivation for starting my bimmer project is triggered by my Bimmer 2002 525i showed "Service Engine Soon" and start to stall at stop signs. I wend to an independent BMW shop and their estimate for fixing all the problems including changing front breaks and doing Inspection II is $3000. Wow.

So I started to open the hook and identify the oil level stick ....

As a matter of fact, I just finished my first bimmer project, I just spent two hours and installed a new camshaft position sensor.

Following are the tools/parts I got for my first project.

1) New Peake reader FCX 3 R5 ($150 including shipping)
2) BMW service and parts software from Ebay ($15). This is the same software the BMW dealer uses.
3) some tools spanners/allen hex key/flash light etc.
4) Pause generator (camshaft) sensor (inlet side) which is $150 including tax from the local BMW dealer. It is way expensive than Bavauto.com, but since I don't want to wait, this is the only way to go. I also found out that BMW has updated the sensor (a better one I assume) with a new parts number. Maybe it is worth the price?

Peake reader gave me two error codes. One is table 19, code 41 witch points to the camshaft sensor fault. The other one is 19 E3 which is 02 sensor limit.

But when I changed the camshaft sensor and cleared all fault codes. It seems that the second error code is not coming back.

I have found the following posting very helpful for my project.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=886595

This reference should be good for all M54 engine. I also find out that the BMW TIS/ECP software I bought from Ebay is very helpful. It listes the detailed steps of changing the camshaft sensor. It gives detailed diagrams for all BMW parts and how they are associated.

Now I am looking for info my second project, i.e. solving power sheering system leaking problem.

Thanks,
steve
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Retired Official Welcomer

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2002 M5
Welcome aboard. You have been officially welcomed to the 'Fest.

2015 Yas Marina Blue M4~Black full Merino leather~Executive Package~Drivers Assistance Plus~Lighting Package~Adaptive M Suspension~19" Black Light-Alloy Style 437 wheels~Carbon Fiber trim~HK audio systems~6MT