Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-04-2007, 03:35 AM

Mein Auto: '99 328i/'06 Charger R/T
Exclamation Right Turn Signal

My right turn signal will not go off for anything... Before, it would just randomly pop on and I would have to play with the switch for it to go off, and while it was parked, the right park light would randomly come on. It's like the turn signal is stuck on. It's really annoying and I can't drive my car (I'm missing the 500 miles per tank) with the right turn signal on all of the time (unless I want to drive in a "circle". Any help is greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2007, 03:48 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: bee-em-double-feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRBaLLa00 View Post
My right turn signal will not go off for anything... Before, it would just randomly pop on and I would have to play with the switch for it to go off, and while it was parked, the right park light would randomly come on. It's like the turn signal is stuck on. It's really annoying and I can't drive my car (I'm missing the 500 miles per tank) with the right turn signal on all of the time (unless I want to drive in a "circle". Any help is greatly appreciated.
I would suggest moving to a place such that getting to and from work would require you to take only right turns.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: '99 323i
I had a similar problem yesterday with my 1999 323i. I turned on my car and the left turn signal would not turn off, I turned the wheel and it still would not shut off. I turned the signal to the right and the left signal would stop and the right would flash. As soon as the turn signal switch would return to neutral position - the left turn signal would start again. I searched the forum (E46 only) and was disappointed to find that no one else had posted helpful information regarding this issue. This gets a bit long - but the whole story must be told. Suffice to say - I fixed my problem by replacing my turn signal switch that is mounted on the steering collumn.

I had replaced the switch about a year ago for an unrelated symptom - where the turn signal would just become completely loose - but only occurred in cold weather. At that time I had taken apart that switch (after replacing it with one I purchased on line), and found that the spring plunger in the switch that holds it in position - was too big for the plastic hole that the plunger rests in. At cold temperatures (I live in MN) the hole the plunger fit in would shrink slightly, trapping the plunger. I verified this by throwing the now removed (old) switch in the freezer and testing it... similar behavior as to what i experienced when installed. I sanded the diameter down slightly - threw it in the freezer and tested it again - the small adjustment to the plunger size fixed the problem. I put the switch in a box in my shop, in case I needed it for another day. That "another day" was yesterday.

Yesterday I spent time looking through my Bentley manual and was not able to turn up anything meaningful on the light being stuck on. I tried the old switch that I had saved from my previous problem, and because I had reassembled the switch body wrong, it did not work at all. Still thinking I had a problem, I spent more time trying to evaluate if there was something wrong deeper in the car, a failed ground or faulty wiring. Finally, I removed the switch again and diassembled it, found I had put it together wrong, and reassembled it correctly. Plugged it in and now it works fine. I will be trouble shooting the faulty switch to see if I can see why it failed. If I find anything, I will post what I learn.

If you choose to replace the switch on your own this requires removal of the steering wheel and air bag. So please search the threads for proper Air Bag handling - this is a safety issue (obviously). So proceed at your own risk. I was able to remove the airbag, complete the removal and replacement of the switch - at least three times (because of my own mistakes) last night without deploying the air bag and also without throwing the Airbag fault light. The key is to remove the negative battery connection prior to unplugging the air bag from the steering wheel, and being careful to reassemble every thing prior to reconnecting the negative battery connection.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
how does one get to the bulb, by the way. i know it's a dumb question - i just don't want to break anything trying to pry it off.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:42 AM

With a flathead (about 6 inches long), there is a small tab right behind the housing, you might need a flashlight to see it. It's very light to push down, if it's "hard" you're not pushing on the right piece. Well, then just push the housing out, switch out bulb, and put it back in.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:13 PM

Locating Tab

the tab you need to press down (lightly) and then forward is just "below" the first white tab you see. The post above is dead on with his comment that "if it's hard to push, it's not the right one."!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 328i
Hi there I just got my first BMW on sat the first of march it's a 1999 328i and I am trying to replace the turn signal lens as the tabs r broken off. But it looks like there was I screw holding it on. Is this right and if so does any one know how to get to that screw. Thank you for your time