Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Sponsored by The Tirerack. Moderated by Gary@Tirerack.com

Old 06-13-2003, 05:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to wrwicky
Mein Auto: Max Von Zhipper
I've got Re-950s on my 91 miata, and my wife's civic coupe and love 'em. Excellent grip for their durability (should go well over 50k on the tire-loving miata), best ride compared to comparable Michs or Dunlops that I've owned, and quiet. They've stayed quiet for the 20kish miles I have on them. The consensus also seems to be that the S-03 is the best max performance tire. So, I figure I can't go wrong with the 750's which are between those two, when the time comes to replace my pilot sports on the ZHP. The only rap I've ever heard against 730s was the noise (and IIR the gen2s solved a lot of that). With the 750s being a current generation tire, and a similar pattern to the other Potenzas, I'm pretty confident.
IMO the generational advances in tires are astounding, so I think it's pretty critical to limit my choices to designs that have been updated in the last couple of years (Like the 750s and Yoko ES 100s).
I DO have a vested interest in Bridgestone in that they sponsor the motorcycle racing team I work with. Because of that I have extensive experience looking a lot of their products, and I can tell you that nobody has better quality control. You would be suprised, especially amongst racing tires, how many are not round, bizarrely out of balance, or don't have consistent grip. NEVER ANY problems with the Bridgestones. Also, I don't get any deal on car tires, I buy mine for retail, from normal vendors.
I'd love to see a comparo of the ES 100s with the 750s. I think those tires will be right for a lot of us and the ES 100 is definitely a fighting second choice.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:22 PM
Oh yeah, she's my baby...

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally posted by gray330
My RE730s are sooooooo noisy.....hmmm, maybe I can get them to replace with the new tires??
You got that right. I have RE730's and they are the noisiest tires I have ever had. They sound like I'm running monster mudders. I hate them
Old 06-13-2003, 10:30 PM

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz
A friend of mine with a TT Supra didn't like the fact his Kumhos were NOT ROUND.

No Kumhos ever for me, thanks.
Word, Kumhos are crap! Friends don't let friends drive Kumhos
Old 06-14-2003, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW M3
The Original 730's were loud, the Gen 2 helped address that a bit. The new 750 looks promising, and we should be testing it within the next month or two. I'll let you know the results of the testing!

Old 06-14-2003, 07:09 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 5/01 production 330Cic
Re: Re: New tire from Bridgestone

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuka
They are about the same price as Conti's, and are W rated instead of Z.

I found that when the weather is hot out, Conti's actually have decent traction. Anything other than hot the tires have very little traction, and makes for good sideways driving training tires.
Of course, the "Stuka Factor" must be considered in judging this statement for any ordinary motor vehicle operator.

I've passed the sentence above through the StukaFilter, v1.1. It came out this way:
Quote:
I found that when the weather is hot out, Conti's tread actually melts off, turning into slicks. Anything other than hot the tires have excellent traction, and makes for good everyday driving tires
That StukaFilter really comes in handy...
Old 06-14-2003, 08:39 AM
Audi, BMW or Porsche???

Mein Auto: 2010 S4, 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary@Tirerack
The Original 730's were loud, the Gen 2 helped address that a bit. The new 750 looks promising, and we should be testing it within the next month or two. I'll let you know the results of the testing!
Maybe you could compare them to the Yokohama AVS ES100. Both seem to be in about the same class. If you've noticed, the ES100 seems to be very popular around here, and I'd really like to see it compared to something better than a bargain Kumho and Sumitomo like it is in your only test of it.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:12 AM
got a new job

Mein Auto: '01 330i
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary@Tirerack
Please let us know! I'll be replacing my 730s before the end of the summer.