Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 04-20-2003, 02:00 PM
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy

Mein Auto: 2003 Audi A4 3.0
Finally got to SIT and FEEL the RX-8! (NY Auto Show!)

Hey all... I wanted to post these yesterday but my internet went out...

Room:
For your information before I start, I'm 6 feet tall with 34" legs. The RX-8's leg room is almost TIED with the G35 Coupe, and the 330Ci. I used the same method of measurement that I did in all cars; I sat in the front seat (passenger seat in the RX-8), and adjusted it to a comfortable position. I then went into the back seat, and found ample leg room in EVERY car. The 330Ci is probably the best not because of the leg room, but because of the big window you can look out of; it's not nearly as claustrophobic. The RX-8 is like looking out of a ship's window in that regard. The G35 Coupe is by far the worst, even though the leg room is fine for me, my head was hitting the ceiling and I had to hunch over to sit in the car. My cousin, who is several inches shorter than I am, also had a problem and his head was hitting the glass window in the back. If you stop hard in this car, your head will fly forwards, and then back into the glass giving a good chance to have a concussion or worse!

In review, #1 here is the 330Ci, just because of a more open view thru the window. The LEGROOM is almost identical in all three. Headroom is identical in the 330Ci and RX-8, and the G35 Coupe is terribly far behind.

Ingress/Egress:
I know this had been a touchy spot for a lot of people. I was not sure what to expect myself. After adjusting the front passenger seat in the RX-8, I climbed into the back -- with ease. If you put your left foot flat on the floor, then hop into the car, it's easy to get in without a problem. Getting out however... that's another story. While it took me a few tries to get out of the RX-8 quickly, there is a method that can be used that I personally don't like. You have to grab onto the seat in front of you, and pull yourself out. An "oh ****" handle would have made this job a lot easier, pulling yourself out of the car. Even though egress is more difficult, it still is easier than getting out of both Coupes, the 330Ci, and G35 due to the fact there's an extra door there. There's a slight inconvienience, and if you are a regular passenger, you'll quickly discover how to get in and out without a hiccup.

Build Quality:
I'll just say it now. The BMW 330Ci has the best build quality. Comparing the RX-8 and G35 Coupe is like comparing apples to apples; it's very close. Visually I think the G35 Coupe was better off AT THE SHOW, because its interior lights were on, the gauges were lit up, etc. The RX-8 was completely blacked out. The RX-8's build quality was not much better than my Millenia, and also not much worse. So if that gives you a feel for it, it's about the best I can do. The G35 Coupe is the same, pretty good feel and aesthetics, not BMW quality but nonetheless pretty darn good. I admit I'm more taken with the RX-8s interior because I've never been a fan of Titanium interiors in ANYTHING.

So in conclusion... the RX-8 is pretty much exactly how I wanted it to be. The 330Ci is going to beat the RX-8 in every category except ingress/egress as per LOOKING at the car. Driving the car of course will be something I'll have to report later on Build quality, room, aesthetics -- the RX-8 and G35 Coupe are within arms length of each others constantly. The only real pet peeve I have with the G35 Coupe is the rear headroom which is ATROCIOUS even for shorter people.

The RX-8 will fit a 6 foot person up front, and a 6 footer behind, a guy that's got 34" legs as well, and that's ME! And so you all know what I look like now, here's a picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0650.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	10834  
Old 04-20-2003, 02:01 PM
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy

And the obligatory front seat pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0649.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	10835  
Old 04-20-2003, 02:23 PM
Vegan, not Romulan

Send a message via ICQ to Pete Teoh Send a message via AIM to Pete Teoh Send a message via MSN to Pete Teoh Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Teoh
Mein Auto: ****
Smile for the picture next time.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: .
I haven't been in an RX-8 yet, but I've sat in the back of a G-35 coupe and didn't find it to be horrible. It's got slightly less headroom than my Ci because of the sloping roof, but it wasn't bad.

I'm 5'11", btw.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
I'll have to drive one sometime.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 04-20-2003, 04:22 PM
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Teoh
Smile for the picture next time.
I was so happy to be in the car I just didn't want to have a big goofy smile to go with it
Old 04-20-2003, 04:28 PM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
BTW, how much ?
Old 04-20-2003, 05:31 PM
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Baumann
BTW, how much ?
The way I ordered it, $31,100. That's fully loaded minus navigation (a $2000 option I didn't want/need).
Old 04-20-2003, 05:33 PM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
The way I ordered it, $31,100. That's fully loaded minus navigation (a $2000 option I didn't want/need).
Cool, congrats on your order.

We are looking forward to the delivery pics and your first driving impressions
Old 04-20-2003, 06:03 PM
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Baumann
Cool, congrats on your order.

We are looking forward to the delivery pics and your first driving impressions
You and me both