Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 03-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 Dinan S3-R M3
Changing Tires on E46 M3.

Just picked up an 06 M3 with Dinan S3-R package. It sweet but I want to be able to change tires/rims on my own.

Is there a way to jack the car using a low profile racing floor jack with a crossbeam adapter so that I can change both front or rear tires at the same time?

Or can I lift the car from one side or the other with a crossbeam adapter and change both driver's side tires or passenger tires at the same time?

Or should I just keep it simple and use jack points and change each tire individually?

Any tire/rim advice is appreciated.... I keep snow tires on my 19" OEMs and will use the Dinan rims for the summer tires.
Ads by Google
Old 03-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Empowered Consumer

Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
I'm pretty sure that the rear jack point lifts such that both can be removed at one time, but it's been a while and I'm getting old so the memory is sketchy at times.

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 03-02-2008, 09:25 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Wouldn't two cheap jacks, one on each side, be the simple solution? Oh well, I'm just a dummy.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW M3 w/ Comp Pack
My opinion, but if you're going to be changing rims a lot, I recommend you go with tire studs. You can get them at turner motorsports. But they are a life saver, saves me a lot of ridiculous effort of not having to hold up the rim while trying to screw in a bolt.

You can jack up the car using the rear jacking points. The car is stiff enough where if you jack up one side of the rear high enough, the front end on the same side will come off the ground. I don't recommend you leave it like this for long, but for switching out tires, it'll be perfectly fine. I've been doing it for a couple of years and have had no issues with sub-assembly crack or other issues.

NASA Time Trial TTB Class NorthEast Region

Old 03-03-2008, 12:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 M3
two jacks seems to work for me.
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
Old 03-03-2008, 11:47 AM

Wheel Studs will be visible, but I don't think it's going to make your rims look gawky. I've attached a picture of my car below, I don't think the studs stand out to much. Personally, I like the way my car looks with studs. Don't forget to use locktight on your studs when you screw them in, you don't want them getting loose on you. Studs are great, it will allow you to use spacers in the future if you decide you want a wider stance in your car, don't forget to use center cap extendors when you use spacers.

I don't use a lugwrench to change my wheels. I use a electric impact wrench, or if need be a cheater bar using a regular socket wrench with a 2 inch extender arm (I have a socket wrench specifically decidated for this since the cheater bar puts some heavy dents in the wrench). When you do get the wheel studs, you'll need some 17mm sockets that are extra deep so they have enough clearence inside the socket to go over the wheel studs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Studs.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	137706  

Last edited by TrackMastaFlex; 03-03-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 M3
I dont have a problem changing with the lug bolts. I am not doing a 12 second Nascar pit stop either.
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
Old 03-04-2008, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Dinan S3-R M3
Thanks TrackMastaFlex and all.

I just ordered a lug wrench to take the lugs off...No lug wrench included for M3. I have a torque wrench for applying the lugs, but nothing to really get them off. I think for now I will go with some studs to help with the rim change, but I may not go to them except during the switch (the M3 doesnt come with the pins that are included for rim changes in the 3 series). I really will only change the set 3-4 times per year.

TrackMastaFlex--if I were to go to studs, do you use 75mm or 90mm?

Thanks for all your help everyone!
Old 03-05-2008, 07:09 AM

75mm studs for most normal applications.

90mm studs if you're planning on using some large spacers.